PDA

View Full Version : Gundam

ZeonsSilverStar
05-02-2014, 06:04 AM
Prior to the wipe we a decent sized topic for all things Gundam so I figured we'd another. So here we go whether you like the anime, manga, games, or Gunpla lets talk Gundam. Now as many of you already know the most recent series, Gundam Build Fighters, concluded earlier this year but it is still available to watch on the GundamInfo Youtube channel. Also on the 17th the seventh and final episode of Gundam Unicorn will be available for download via the PSN. At an unspecified time in the fall the new series Gundam Reconguista in G will air and in 2015 the Origin OVA will begin.

The Big G
05-02-2014, 06:24 AM
The majority of the posters on CBR's souls are weighed down by gravity

Froggy
05-02-2014, 06:38 AM
And the first reply is a char quote, perfect. Anyone else find it kinda funny how in Zeta Gundam, Kamille kept embarrassing Jerid?

ZeonsSilverStar
05-02-2014, 07:08 AM
And we're off to a great start so far.

And the first reply is a char quote, perfect. Anyone else find it kinda funny how in Zeta Gundam, Kamille kept embarrassing Jerid?

Jerid was just playing his role in life, that role being the universe's punching bag. Like the only dude who had it worse was Chronicle Asher.

http://i.imgur.com/1QcYCOY.gif

Hazard
05-02-2014, 07:51 AM
Cronicle had Katejina though, and Katejina is totally best Gundam Girl.

Froggy
05-02-2014, 08:45 AM
Yea kaki low knocking him off that mountain kills me. Then I remember how he dies and I'm like :(((((

He should've just left the kid alone!

ZeonsSilverStar
05-02-2014, 12:17 PM
Cronicle had Katejina though, and Katejina is totally best Gundam Girl.

She's easily the best so I guess in that sense Cronicle wasn't a complete failure.

Anyway early last month I completed my fourth model, a V2 Gundam as seen in the links below. For my eventual fifth kit I'm thinking of branching out and doing a grunt suit or some other non Gundam suit..

http://i.imgur.com/9d6I8gI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ND2XloO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/axgheU4.jpg

Melchior
05-02-2014, 12:42 PM
I always found the Kamille-Jerid dynamic a little odd. Jerid killed one or two people dear to Kamille, and Kamille killed just about every single woman that showed an interest in him, especially ones that were actually turning him around. Everytime they might have become more neutral to each other, the one of them would screw up and kill someone the other one liked.

Lately, I have been reading Gundam Origins. Been pretty interesting, and volume 5 was basically the history of the Zeon and Zabi families that they talked about but never really showed in the old series. I am still stunned that the art is done by the mangaka in one take - no guidelines or pre-panel layouts or anything.

I have also been wanting to look into Gundam Build Fighters - is it true Bandai has a legal stream of it up?

Mormel
05-02-2014, 01:22 PM
I always found the Kamille-Jerid dynamic a little odd. Jerid killed one or two people dear to Kamille, and Kamille killed just about every single woman that showed an interest in him, especially ones that were actually turning him around. Everytime they might have become more neutral to each other, the one of them would screw up and kill someone the other one liked.

I actually thought that was the beauty of the tragedy of Jerid's story arc. I used to think he was just an obnoxious blowhard, until I saw that scene in which he's in the Amazon, crawling all over that crowd of people trying to get into the escape shuttle. Even though his actions there can easily be interpreted as him being a selfish a-hole, for me it added a layer of depth to him that made him more than your average Top Gun's Iceman type of character.

Jerid was actually a pretty righteous guy, who found himself on the completely wrong side in the war. The thing that bothered me most is, as I'd already said in the previous Gundam thread, how they decided to end Jerid's story. What an anticlimax.

Incidentally, I just started watching ZZ again, and I'm now on episode 9. Judau has already grown on me, though his friends are mostly faceless strangers to me that lack the strong presence of a Fraw Bow or a Kai Shiden. I actually like the lighter tone of the series so far. The silliness doesn't bother me, and is quite welcome after the closing arc of Zeta (whoo boy!), and Mashymre is just fabulous.

Froggy
05-02-2014, 01:37 PM
From what I remember, it gets real crazy VERY fast

I agree with you guys about Jerid, I kinda felt for the guy, after I got done laughing at him

EterenalPsylocke
05-02-2014, 03:44 PM
Stardust Memory will always be my #1 Gundam series followed by 08th Ms Team. That's when so much reveal hit's the fan.

Hiromi
05-02-2014, 04:20 PM

Whatever could you mean?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/jmjon9/Gundam/tumblr_mf02sjEgqC1r25gvuo1_r1_400_zpsd9020dd0.gif? t=1399072782

The Big G
05-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Top 5 Gundam Series:

1. Mobile Suit Gundam/0079/The Origin
2. Zeta Gundam
3. G Gundam
4. Char's Counterattack
5. GUndam build fighters

Froggy
05-02-2014, 05:06 PM
Whatever could you mean?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/jmjon9/Gundam/tumblr_mf02sjEgqC1r25gvuo1_r1_400_zpsd9020dd0.gif? t=1399072782im awful, I can't stop laughing at this

Stardust Memory will always be my #1 Gundam series followed by 08th Ms Team. That's when so much reveal hit's the fan.

I kinda wish both were on Netflix

EterenalPsylocke
05-02-2014, 06:26 PM
I kinda wish both were on Netflix

I agree, I sorta wish the Movie for Stardust Memory was released in NA.

WestPhillyPunisher
05-03-2014, 02:13 AM
Well, somebody in this thread has to make this admission, so I'll volunteer:

I liked Gundam Wing!

There. I said it! :p

Hazard
05-03-2014, 06:41 AM
No problem there.

I liked Wing too. It was my first Gundam.

The Big G
05-03-2014, 06:48 AM

I liked Gundam Wing!

Better Wing than SEED or SEED Destiny

Hariel0079
05-03-2014, 07:13 AM
Seed and destiny weren't that bad.

Hazard
05-03-2014, 07:23 AM

Seed was okay.

Say what you will about Kira, but no one is going to react well when a war knocks at your doorstep.

Destiny was okay in the beginning but it quickly degenerates.

Buried Alien
05-03-2014, 09:53 AM
I like all the stuff from the original UC storyline, but can't get into anything beyond that.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)

Hariel0079
05-03-2014, 12:29 PM
Seed was okay.

Say what you will about Kira, but no one is going to react well when a war knocks at your doorstep.

Destiny was okay in the beginning but it quickly degenerates.

Destiny had a different effect on me, I thought it was better near the end and crappy starting out.

Mormel
05-03-2014, 02:06 PM

I liked Gundam Wing!

I loved Wing! It was my gateway Gundam series! Trowa Barton forever!

Froggy
05-03-2014, 03:46 PM

Dat Heavyarms yo

I dug Zechs and the Tallgeese, with Trowa and Quatre tied for second

The Big G
05-03-2014, 04:17 PM
Destiny had a different effect on me, I thought it was better near the end and crappy starting out.

Because you live in bizzaro world ;)

Hariel0079
05-03-2014, 06:01 PM

That was the first Gundam I beat the SNES 2D fighter with.

Because you live in bizzaro world ;)

You are a hater.

The Big G
05-03-2014, 06:21 PM
You are a hater.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/d8d09c33bd999b428780075d5f7307e1/tumblr_n45jzwpXlA1rmb5ino1_500.gif

Melchior
05-03-2014, 09:37 PM
I have always been fond of Gundam:0080 - War in the Pocket, myself.

WestPhillyPunisher
05-04-2014, 02:29 AM

Duo Maxwell was my main man! And Deathscythe was beyond awesome!

If memory serves (always a dicey proposition for this old fart), hardcore otaku/mecha geeks hated Wing because Heero and his buddies attracted fangirls! I always found that humorous! :p

Mormel
05-04-2014, 12:28 PM
^Well, it was the first Gundam series with a strong bishounen design for all the pilots.

What I honestly liked best about Gundam Wing, besides the great characterizations, was that the setting borrowed so many elements from the late 19th and early 20th century. The way people dressed, the houses, the car designs (early 20th century), the parties, the pastimes. As a kid, I was trying to wrap my head around how folks in the far future, with space colonies and giant mech suits, were living like it was 1875. A bit like Fullmetal Alchemist, although in that series its assumed that it's an alternate universe that takes place a bit after the Industrial Revolution.

WestPhillyPunisher
05-05-2014, 01:45 AM
^Well, it was the first Gundam series with a strong bishounen design for all the pilots.

What I honestly liked best about Gundam Wing, besides the great characterizations, was that the setting borrowed so many elements from the late 19th and early 20th century. The way people dressed, the houses, the car designs (early 20th century), the parties, the pastimes. As a kid, I was trying to wrap my head around how folks in the far future, with space colonies and giant mech suits, were living like it was 1875.

Yeah, Wing certainly was an odd duck in that regard. Mobile suits that flew through space, yet, people still drove plain old cars (including Relena's kooky looking six-wheeled limo). I also found it all to have been rather strange.

JDogindy
05-05-2014, 09:14 AM
Finally, my kind of thread.

The other day, I got SD Generation Wars on the Nintendo Wii and I've enjoyed the heck out of it. I already have World, but Wars is so much better.

And, for those interested, my favorite installment is Gundam Wing, followed by After War Gundam X, Turn A Gundam, and ZZ Gundam. My least favorite installments are Victory, AGE, and 00 from the second season onward.

Ironically, the character that got me back to watching anime was 00's Nena Trinity, which is strange, since a psychopathic womanchild who randomly blows things up would be the last thing people would say got them back into liking stuff.

JDogindy
05-05-2014, 09:26 AM

SEED was okay, though I admit that, when it first came out, it was too much for me.

Shinn Asuka is my favorite Gundam protagonist, but Destiny is complete garbage.

Buried Alien
05-05-2014, 11:12 AM
I have always been fond of Gundam:0080 - War in the Pocket, myself.

In of itself, 0080 was excellent work, but I felt that this is where the UC GUNDAM continuity began going out of whack: it created an odd situation wherein the MS technology at the end of the One Year War was as advanced as (if not more advanced than) what was seen in the Gryps Conflict era of ZETA/DOUBLE ZETA, even though we know there was quite a notable and substantial technology gap between the two eras. STARDUST 0083, also a great show in its own right, compounded this problem as well.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)

Mormel
05-05-2014, 12:34 PM
Ironically, the character that got me back to watching anime was 00's Nena Trinity, which is strange, since a psychopathic womanchild who randomly blows things up would be the last thing people would say got them back into liking stuff.
I have yet to see 00, but now that I know it features a 'psychopathic womanchild who randomly blows things up', I'm very, very interested.

I enjoyed SEED the most around its middle part, after they encounter Andrew Waltfeld and stuff gets REAL. I really liked Cagalli in those episodes, but I felt they nerfed her later on.

I never saw Destiny, though I'll get around to it in due time.

WestPhillyPunisher
05-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Meanwhile, I found it humorous that pretty much EVERY Gundam incarnation had a brooding anti-hero/villain who wore a mask, or, as I used to say, a bucket on his head. The first time I saw Zechs Merquise on Wing, my first thought was, "WTF?", then I learned that he was simply part of a long and rich lineage of masked antagonist mecha pilots.

Mormel
05-05-2014, 01:34 PM
Meanwhile, I found it humorous that pretty much EVERY Gundam incarnation had a brooding anti-hero/villain who wore a mask, or, as I used to say, a bucket on his head. The first time I saw Zechs Merquise on Wing, my first thought was, "WTF?", then I learned that he was simply part of a long and rich lineage of masked antagonist mecha pilots.

Which brings us to our next inevitable question, at this early stage in the new Gundam thread: who is everyone's favourite Char Expy? I used to really like Zechs, and I guess I still do, but Rau Le Creuset was so crazy near the end of SEED, that he must come in a close second after the original Char for me.

ZeonsSilverStar
05-05-2014, 02:33 PM
It we're talking Char Clones my favorite at the moment would Zeheart if only for the final fight against Asem in Memory of Eden. A close second would be Zabine Chareux though.

The Big G
05-05-2014, 03:40 PM
Favorite Char Clone?

Zechs.

ZeonsSilverStar
05-17-2014, 12:45 PM
Just a reminder that the final episode of Gundam Unicorn is available for rental today. I just downloaded it and will post my thoughts either later on today or sometime tomorrow.

Froggy
05-17-2014, 03:28 PM
Just a reminder that the final episode of Gundam Unicorn is available for rental today. I just downloaded it and will post my thoughts either later on today or sometime tomorrow.

Yoo can't wait to read this

As for my fav chat clone, Sexy Zechsy ooooor Full Frontal

Balling ass name

Melchior
05-17-2014, 10:01 PM

Balling ass name

Yeah, if I remember correctly, one of the top reasons I heard for Full Frontal really being Char was the fact that his name was that bad. I mean, Quattro Bagina and sunglasses? That was his idea of a previous disguise?

Of the ones I have seen, I think Zechs probably pulls the clone thing off best.

Mormel
05-17-2014, 10:11 PM
Yeah, if I remember correctly, one of the top reasons I heard for Full Frontal really being Char was the fact that his name was that bad. I mean, Quattro Bagina and sunglasses? That was his idea of a previous disguise?

He was part of a secret club alongside Jamitov Hymen and PAP-timus Scirocco. It's a Gryps War era thing.

ZeonsSilverStar
05-17-2014, 10:13 PM

Balling ass name

If you're going to pick an alias you better make it stand out.

Now Gundam Unicorn has come to a close and it ends with some ambiguity and some revelations.

First and foremost I will say screw Riddhe. He killed Marida. Yeah I knew it was coming and yeah she didn't hold any grudges against Riddhe afterwards that still doesn't make it cool. But what whatever what happened happened.

Moving on as many of you may or may not know Laplace's Box is the original Federation Charter which states in so many words that those who in space, or more precisely newtypes, should be granted more freedom and have the priority to run the government. Such a thing actually gives some validation to Zeon Zum Deikun's, and in no way to the Principality of Zeon's, theories. Anyway long story short the Box/Charter is lost in a terrorist attack which was supposedly set up by the son of the Federation's first prime minister. None of that is totally relevant to the episode so I'll get back to it. The box is shown to Banagher and Mineva by Syam, Banagher's great grandfather and one of the aforementioned terrorists. He explains to the children what the box is and how he has been using it as leverage for nearly one hundred before telling them what they do with it is up to them.

Full Frontal appears and claims ownership of the box wanting to use it for his own means. Funny thing about FF he comes off as a bit of a cynic. This isn't too surprising as he was modeled after Char both in universe and in real life. This is shown during his fight with Banagher and Riddhe where he claims that despite people believing in possibility and hope nothing would change and that there would always be conflict. It could be argued that these are actually Char's feelings that FF has adopted as his own. Now Char does make an appearance of sorts in the form of a ghost alongside Lalah. They seem to convince FF to leave things in Banagher's hands. The battle ends here but it was spectacular. The Neo Zeong was a beast of a machine that could operated remotely via headset, had a crapload of funnels, was equipped with an I-field, and could control enemy suit among other things.

Back to the box Mineva reveals the truth to the world which draws the attention of Martha Vist Carbine, Banagher's aunt, and Ronan Marcenas, Riddhe's dad. They firea repaired Gryps II colony laser at the Industrial 7 colony hoping to put an end to the speech but the colony is saved when Banagher and Riddhe block the laser. This was possible due to the psycho-frames of the Unicorn and Banshee resonating together to form a psycho-field. During this the Unicorn goes through a strange transformation as Banagher's powers seem to reach their peak. He almost seems to "die" in a similar fashion to Amuro and Char but seems to will himself back thanks to Mineva and Riddhe.

That's pretty much the end and it was somewhat optimistic. Optimism is good but I'm just not used to seeing it in the UC. Still Banagher actually manages to pull off a happy ending despite all the fighting and perhaps became the first "perfect newtype" as described by Riddhe. If you're one of the people who believes that newtypes are individuals who have the ability to understand one another move beyond conflict then yes Banagher did become a perfect newtype. All of his battles this episode with Angelo, Riddhe, Full Frontal, and even the Feddie fleet ended without him killing anyone. This is somewhat of a big thing since even hardcore peace loving protagonists like Kira Yamato Loran Cehack, and Setsuna F. Seiei had to fight their enemies to a bitter end. All in all not a bad episode and certainly not a bad OVA. I look forward to buying the Blu Ray. Now for the ambiguity. Did the Federation lose some of its pull? We can only assume that it did due to its sorry state in F91 and Victory but it's never exactly said.

Froggy
05-18-2014, 12:58 AM

Of the ones I have seen, I think Zechs probably pulls the clone thing off best.it was the craze at the time, what with

He was part of a secret club alongside Jamitov Hymen and PAP-timus Scirocco. It's a Gryps War era thing.
These guys around, since I thought Bajeena sounded like....

If you're going to pick an alias you better make it stand out.

Now Gundam Unicorn has come to a close and it ends with some ambiguity and some revelations.

First and foremost I will say screw Riddhe. He killed Marida. Yeah I knew it was coming and yeah she didn't hold any grudges against Riddhe afterwards that still doesn't make it cool. But what whatever what happened happened.

Moving on as many of you may or may not know Laplace's Box is the original Federation Charter which states in so many words that those who in space, or more precisely newtypes, should be granted more freedom and have the priority to run the government. Such a thing actually gives some validation to Zeon Zum Deikun's, and in no way to the Principality of Zeon's, theories. Anyway long story short the Box/Charter is lost in a terrorist attack which was supposedly set up by the son of the Federation's first prime minister. None of that is totally relevant to the episode so I'll get back to it. The box is shown to Banagher and Mineva by Syam, Banagher's great grandfather and one of the aforementioned terrorists. He explains to the children what the box is and how he has been using it as leverage for nearly one hundred before telling them what they do with it is up to them.

Full Frontal appears and claims ownership of the box wanting to use it for his own means. Funny thing about FF he comes off as a bit of a cynic. This isn't too surprising as he was modeled after Char both in universe and in real life. This is shown during his fight with Banagher and Riddhe where he claims that despite people believing in possibility and hope nothing would change and that there would always be conflict. It could be argued that these are actually Char's feelings that FF has adopted as his own. Now Char does make an appearance of sorts in the form of a ghost alongside Lalah. They seem to convince FF to leave things in Banagher's hands. The battle ends here but it was spectacular. The Neo Zeong was a beast of a machine that could operated remotely via headset, had a crapload of funnels, was equipped with an I-field, and could control enemy suit among other things.

Back to the box Mineva reveals the truth to the world which draws the attention of Martha Vist Carbine, Banagher's aunt, and Ronan Marcenas, Riddhe's dad. They firea repaired Gryps II colony laser at the Industrial 7 colony hoping to put an end to the speech but the colony is saved when Banagher and Riddhe block the laser. This was possible due to the psycho-frames of the Unicorn and Banshee resonating together to form a psycho-field. During this the Unicorn goes through a strange transformation as Banagher's powers seem to reach their peak. He almost seems to "die" in a similar fashion to Amuro and Char but seems to will himself back thanks to Mineva and Riddhe.

That's pretty much the end and it was somewhat optimistic. Optimism is good but I'm just not used to seeing it in the UC. Still Banagher actually manages to pull off a happy ending despite all the fighting and perhaps became the first "perfect newtype" as described by Riddhe. If you're one of the people who believes that newtypes are individuals who have the ability to understand one another move beyond conflict then yes Banagher did become a perfect newtype. All of his battles this episode with Angelo, Riddhe, Full Frontal, and even the Feddie fleet ended without him killing anyone. This is somewhat of a big thing since even hardcore peace loving protagonists like Kira Yamato Loran Cehack, and Setsuna F. Seiei had to fight their enemies to a bitter end. All in all not a bad episode and certainly not a bad OVA. I look forward to buying the Blu Ray. Now for the ambiguity. Did the Federation lose some of its pull? We can only assume that it did due to its sorry state in F91 and Victory but it's never exactly said.
Dude you hit on one of the major points and something I thought (and still do about FF) but overall my feelings lie with yours

I still gotta watch Victory though

ZeonsSilverStar
05-18-2014, 09:15 AM
The deal with Full Frontal made me about some past Gundam antagonists and how that if they had a more positive outlook they would've have been villains.

But yeah I say definitely check out Victory. It is a tad darker than most Gundam shows however.

ZeonsSilverStar
05-18-2014, 12:42 PM
Sorry for the double post but apparently Gundam Build Fighters is getting a sequel.

http://imgur.com/lYUQu4K

Hazard
05-19-2014, 06:07 AM
Sorry for the double post but apparently Gundam Build Fighters is getting a sequel.

Yes!

Limit Dance!

JDogindy
05-19-2014, 08:48 AM

I was gonna post that.

Needless to say, I am very, very happy.

Also, does anybody know what Reconguista in G is going to be? A TV series, or a Unicorn-style movie serial?

ZeonsSilverStar
05-19-2014, 09:40 AM
I was gonna post that.

Needless to say, I am very, very happy.

Also, does anybody know what Reconguista in G is going to be? A TV series, or a Unicorn-style movie serial?

To my understanding it will be a TV series.

The Big G
05-19-2014, 10:37 AM

Heard about this a few days ago!

Am super pumped. GBF was a gem.

ZeonsSilverStar
06-29-2014, 08:00 AM
No news on season two of GBF but the Reconguista in G site is up and a new trailer is out. This is all courtesy of ANN.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-06-23/gundam-reconguista-in-g-2nd-video-story-cast-staff-designs-unveiled/.75835

ZeonsSilverStar
07-17-2014, 09:21 PM
Well it's been awhile but here we go. As some of you may or may not know back on July 1st Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn was released here in America via PSN. Now while Dynasty Warriors games tend to get mixed reviews here in the West, with the Gundam spinoff being no exception, the series is notable since its the only line of Gundam games to localized without fail. This was actually a decent installment despite the lazy localization this time around.

In more Gundam game related news new DLC has been announced for Extreme Vs. Full Boost. The new additions to the game are the Altron Gundam from Gundam Wing, the ReGZ from Char's Counterattack, the Strike Rouge Ootori from Gundam Seed Destiny HD, the Unicorn Gundam Banshee Norn from Unicorn, the GX from Gundam X, and finally the Gold Frame Amatsu Mina from Gundam Seed Astray.
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201407/16056731.html

Now for the next bit of news the new Build Fighters site is up.
http://gundam-bf.net/

And thanks to the Gundam Guy blog we a translated overview:
Starting October 2014, Gundam Build Fighters Try series will be broadcast in Japan on the Japanese channel TV Tokyo!

Story:

Seven years have passed since Sei Iori won the 7th Gunpla Battle Championship World Tournament. The Gunpla Battle Championship is now run by Yajima Trading. With new rules and battle modes, the game's popularity has become even more widespread.

However, the Seiho Academy that Sei Iori once attended has failed to catch onto the trend. The only member of the school's Gunpla Battle Club is its president, middle-schooler Fumina Hoshino. Currently there is no way the club can participate in the middle an high-school division of the upcoming All-Japan Gunpla Battle Championship, where players fight in teams of three.

Then Fumina meets a new transfer student. He is Sekai Kamiki, a young martial artist who has been traveling with his master. Together with a young Gunpla builder named Yuuma Kousaka, they finally have three members for their team.

Sekai Kamiki, Yuuma Kousaka, and Fumino Hoshino - Team "TRY FIGHTERS" is about to begin its challenge!