PDA

View Full Version : Healing factor vs durability/invulnerability

Vakanai
05-02-2014, 10:51 AM
Which is better to have and comes with more benefits, high end durability/invulnerability, or high end regen?

zhris
05-02-2014, 10:54 AM
The ability to repair damage vs. the ability to not take damage in the first place? I'd go with the latter.

Melchior
05-02-2014, 12:25 PM
Kinda depends on how much and the setting. In some situations, they are interchangeable.

I usually prefer the regen, myself, and support it with a decent defense. If you are as hard as granite, then sooner or later someone will make a sword that will cut through granite. But if you can survive being cut in half, then it does not matter if the sword can cut wood, stone, or steel.

King of Asgard
05-02-2014, 12:44 PM
If you're like Deadpool, then I guess healing is better. But if you're like Superman, Thor or Hulk, then I guess durability is better.

bloodyarts
05-02-2014, 12:47 PM
Interesting question.

I liked Hulk before his healing factor was retconned in. He was much better as having nigh-invulnerable skin. A Hulk whom shells and bombs did no damage; not because he healed instantly from the resultant injury, but because the force and heat of the projectile was not enough to penetrate his hide.

Now, when Peter David ruined Hulk with that retcon in Incredible Hulk 340, Wolverine was battling Grey Hulk, who is known to be weaker than Savage Hulk. Is it possible the healing factor was intended only for Grey Hulk, just to make a Wolverine/Hulk fight more interesting? Because really, Wolverine vs. Hulk should never even be a fight. It shouldn't have taken World War Hulk to properly depict a Wolverine/Hulk fight.

Regen has kind of worn out it's welcome to me because it is ALWAYS overpowered. Wolverine's original regen, while several times faster than normal, was nowhere near what it became-- a drop of blood being sufficient to fully regenerate. How does one's memories remain completely intact when the brain has been reduced to ash? A new brain growing is somewhat understandable (given the already ridiculous premise), but with full memories, cognizance, etc. intact? Too much. Sliced in half, beheaded, skeletonized... what's the point? I understand Marvel has finally seen how out-of-control regen has become and is attempting to scale it back on Wolverine (probably only temporarily), but what about the other characters with overblown regen-- including Hulk??

High durability is just that... high durability. With enough force, heat, pressure, etc., durability can be undone. Marvel's regen has made those characters that possess it immortal. Big, unwelcome, difference.

Blackid
05-02-2014, 12:51 PM
Hey guys! Artist formerly known as SILENCE here. I think they are one in the same but I enjoy the high durability a bit more. I think pain is still an issue with Regen. I don't like pain so with durability pain is a LOT less excruciating.

The Chou Lives
05-02-2014, 01:03 PM
We are tlaking best of best right? Most High Regen vs most high durability?

Well Durability is awesome from lack of injury, you still feel effects of aging and stuff.

While regen is constantly repairing your body, including aging.

Though to be so tough to not be harmed is great, but in time your organs will be in trouble and modern science cannot help due to unable to pierce your body for sake of medicine.

Just saying.

Blackid
05-02-2014, 01:16 PM
We are tlaking best of best right? Most High Regen vs most high durability?

Well Durability is awesome from lack of injury, you still feel effects of aging and stuff.

Though to be so tough to not be harmed is great, but in time your organs will be in trouble and modern science cannot help due to unable to pierce your body for sake of medicine.

Just saying.

oh posh! I've got plenty of orafices that allow instruments to go thru and fix up all that needs to be fixed.

Bluekey
05-02-2014, 02:24 PM
Regen usually comes with longevity....so I would pick that one.

The Watcher
05-02-2014, 02:35 PM

This is my number one reason to choose regeneration over invulnerability.

On a more altruistic note, you can give a whole lot of blood and donate plenty of organs thanks to the fact your healing factor will restore whatever you've lost pretty quickly.

Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh
05-02-2014, 03:33 PM
This is my number one reason to choose regeneration over invulnerability.

On a more altruistic note, you can give a whole lot of blood and donate plenty of organs thanks to the fact your healing factor will restore whatever you've lost pretty quickly.

Unless you've got Deathstroke healing. Then you can't do much of anything.

Hazard
05-02-2014, 04:08 PM
Interesting question.

I liked Hulk before his healing factor was retconned in. He was much better as having nigh-invulnerable skin. A Hulk whom shells and bombs did no damage; not because he healed instantly from the resultant injury, but because the force and heat of the projectile was not enough to penetrate his hide.

Now, when Peter David ruined Hulk with that retcon in Incredible Hulk 340, Wolverine was battling Grey Hulk, who is known to be weaker than Savage Hulk. Is it possible the healing factor was intended only for Grey Hulk, just to make a Wolverine/Hulk fight more interesting? Because really, Wolverine vs. Hulk should never even be a fight. It shouldn't have taken World War Hulk to properly depict a Wolverine/Hulk fight.

Hulk's healing factor is a part of his standard power set. I am pretty sure it has shown plenty of times since for regular Hulk.

That said, yeah, Hulk vs Wolverine should never be a fight. One hit from Hulk should leave Wolverine as a regenerating pile of flesh and muscles attached to an adamantium skeleton.

But, Wolverine's popularity power is pretty high.

JCAll
05-02-2014, 06:31 PM
The thing about healing factors, they hurt. A lot. Regrowing an arm is probably more painful than losing it in the first place.

moonknight11
05-02-2014, 06:58 PM
The thing about healing factors, they hurt. A lot. Regrowing an arm is probably more painful than losing it in the first place.

Is there a character out there that has a healing factor and carries around painkillers? that'd be more interesting than just toughing it out which is what every character with a healing factor does.

Jonathan
05-02-2014, 07:41 PM
Durability. I'd rather not be hurt to begin with than recover from being hurt.

Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh
05-02-2014, 08:19 PM

Acceptable loss, so long as it's Deadpool level.

dupersuper
05-02-2014, 10:16 PM
If you're like Deadpool, then I guess healing is better. But if you're like Superman, Thor or Hulk, then I guess durability is better.

Hulk has both. So does Superman to some extent (at least pre-Flashpoint). I'm not sure about Thor.

Ite
05-03-2014, 12:52 AM
Durability/invulnerability always wins unless the opponents are almost equal then I would pick healing factor.

Kusanagi
05-03-2014, 09:38 AM
Healing Factor for the bonuses of longer life, immunity to disease, and the ability to smoke and drink without worrying about long term effects (well aside from weight gain.)

That said, potential deal breaker for me, can people with high end regen get drunk? Seems to vary by author.

The Watcher
05-03-2014, 09:40 AM
Healing Factor for the bonuses of longer life, immunity to disease, and the ability to smoke and drink without worrying about long term effects (well aside from weight gain.)

That said, potential deal breaker for me, can people with high end regen get drunk? Seems to vary by author.
Wolverine has in the past. I suppose it would take levels and amounts of alcohol that would be lethal to ordinary humans to do the job.

Lady Warp Spasm
05-03-2014, 05:10 PM
Healing Factor > I have no issue with getting hurt in a fight (if it came to that and my being hurt over someone innocent), so I'd rather have that.

UltraMagnetic
05-04-2014, 08:57 AM
In a real world setting, I don't think regen would be good in the case of broken bones. Unless you know how to set your own bone(s) after say a car accident, then you'll have to go to a doctor/hospital to get it set properly. In which case I hope you weren't trying to keep your ability secret because that's out the window.

Theoretically, if my invulnerability extends down to the cellular level then that should afford me a measure of extended longevity and resistance to diseases on top of not being able to be hurt.

Awesome-X
05-04-2014, 10:08 AM
Which is better to have and comes with more benefits, high end durability/invulnerability, or high end regen?
Well, in my opinion, a Healing Factor is much better than high durability. Sure, with high durability you may be bulletproof etc. but you'll still die just as easily as a normal human to things like Cancer, HIV, and all of the other great number of diseases and such that can kill humans.

JCAll
05-04-2014, 03:42 PM
Is there a character out there that has a healing factor and carries around painkillers? that'd be more interesting than just toughing it out which is what every character with a healing factor does.

I'm going to say Painkiller Jane.

JCAll
05-04-2014, 03:43 PM

Sure. You just gotta drink faster than you can heal.

HFMM
05-08-2014, 12:03 PM
Healing Factor.

Longevity is great. Might have to get some kinda of education in the medical world. With healing factor I can produce vaccines for a lot of the diseases out there. Starting with the common cold. Once I bank a few millions I'm out. The vaccines for the fatal diseases. Hmm. I will need to figure out a way to get it out without having the world know it was from me. Maybe by injecting two or three dying victim of cancer in some third world with the cure. Something like that. Healing factor have a great chance of making it a win win for everyone. Just gotta be careful about how you go about it.

Surtur
05-08-2014, 12:14 PM

I'd have to go with high end regen. One reason is, depending on what you mean, it also might equate to a prolonged(if not indefinite) lifespan. Even taking that out of the equation, I can't help but think..if I am super durable and..I do wind up somehow getting hurt by something with enough force, then I am kind of screwed when it comes to medical attention. How can they perform surgery or anything else on me if I'm that durable? Kind of like how they needed a kryptonite scalpel to perform surgery on Superman, but I wouldn't have that luxury.

I also say this assuming my regen won't make it so I can't get drunk/high, since if I'm going to be living for a long ass time..I can't do eternity sober.