PDA

View Full Version : Could Nintendo go third party?

VG_Addict
08-20-2014, 11:58 AM
I mean, the Wii U is flopping. Could it cause them to go software only?

Speaking of which, do you think they'd make more money as a software only company?

Gryphon
08-20-2014, 01:43 PM
I mean, the Wii U is flopping. Could it cause them to go software only?

Speaking of which, do you think they'd make more money as a software only company?

Its not gonna happen. The Wii U can still make them money ( they aren't losing money on it anymore) and they can take a loss every year for the next 50 years thanks to their reserves.

That's it. Nothing more to say on it.

jump
08-20-2014, 02:38 PM
Short term no, long term maybe. Ninty have huge cash reserves so they can do what they want and are very stubborn, the Wii U wont be a mega success but it will at the very least repay what was spent on it so if the next console flops too would they consider it.

What's more likely to happen is for them to change how they do things as one of their problems is they refuse to adapt to the modern games industry like paying for ports (which is a principle thing for them), start heavy merch/licensing of the IPs or focusing on the quality of life gizmo they were going on about a few months ago.

simbob4000
08-20-2014, 03:11 PM
Don't they make most of their money with handhelds?

JCAll
08-20-2014, 08:06 PM
Considering how Sega turned out, I don't think Nintendo will be going third party.
Seriously, would you rather they be making Gameboys or Pachinko machines?

jump
08-21-2014, 01:13 AM
Don't they make most of their money with handhelds?

They are the market leaders in handheld consoles but the Wii was a massive success but the common argument has been the handheld market will be dead soon due to the use of tablets and phone apps, yet the 3DS has been a success as well.

SocializingMogo
08-21-2014, 04:21 AM
They are the market leaders in handheld consoles but the Wii was a massive success but the common argument has been the handheld market will be dead soon due to the use of tablets and phone apps, yet the 3DS has been a success as well.

Because it has Pokemon.

jump
08-21-2014, 04:28 AM
Because it has Pokemon.

Pokemon is one of their major movers but the 3DS was successfull before Pokemon XY come out and the top 4 selling DS games weren't Pokemon games.

Ghost
08-21-2014, 09:19 AM
I'll echo what everyone else has said, Wii made them tons of money and the handhelds are still doing well. The 3DS provides a gaming experience you cant get with phones, and probly will for the foreseeable future. Who knows though.. maybe in the future theyll see it as good advertising to occasionally release some kindof game on a mobile device or pc somehow? But I could see them being far too proud to sell out.. would probably fold the company instead.

MikeP
08-30-2014, 12:33 PM
Could it happen? Anything could happen.

Will it happen? Nope. Not gonna happen. It will take a string of failures for over a decade for that to finally happen, and Nintendo is very good at making money.

Nyssane
08-30-2014, 02:14 PM
Wii U will start selling in mass abundance when Smash Bros. comes out. They're also gearing up for Winter season with lots of popular games: Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad, Yoshi: Wooly World, Mario Party 10, Bayonetta 2. And I think the open-world Zelda will sell units as well.

And we're kidding ourselves if we think little kids aren't going to eat those "Amiibos" up.

Gryphon
08-30-2014, 06:25 PM
Wii U will start selling in mass abundance when Smash Bros. comes out. They're also gearing up for Winter season with lots of popular games: Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad, Yoshi: Wooly World, Mario Party 10, Bayonetta 2. And I think the open-world Zelda will sell units as well.

And we're kidding ourselves if we think little kids aren't going to eat those "Amiibos" up.

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_vg_1_1

Notice whats taking up a large part of the top 20 best sellers in games on amazon.com....the amiibo will make bank for Nintendo

MikeP
08-30-2014, 09:13 PM
I'm honestly not interested in the gaming aspect of them, but I'll totally buy them as pure figurines when I have extra cash.

daisetsu100
08-31-2014, 02:05 AM
c'mon, nintendo is not only wii u ....

The Drunkard Kid
08-31-2014, 06:33 AM
Honestly, it's slightly more likely that all console makers become either 3rd party or streaming services since every generation seems to bring us closer to the PC/Laptop/Console/Portable/Cell Phone/Television/Eyeglasses/Refrigerator/etc... Singularity, especially as high speed Internet becomes more ubiquitous.

Nyssane
08-31-2014, 06:51 AM
http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_vg_1_1

Notice whats taking up a large part of the top 20 best sellers in games on amazon.com....the amiibo will make bank for Nintendo

I'm actually pretty surprised. Nintendo has been somewhat vague about what the Amiibos actually do. If they're able to create a game like Skylanders that uses them, I'd be all for it (Seriously, a Diablo-style game using all of Nintendo's popular characters... yes please).

Even more surprising is how high Samus is compared to Pikachu, Yoshi, etc.

Beacon
08-31-2014, 09:05 AM
Why do people act like Nintendo is failing when the 3DS outsells EVERYTHING?

Sure there have been some missteps with the Wii U (okay, a LOT of missteps) but c'mon...

jump
08-31-2014, 09:27 AM
Honestly, it's slightly more likely that all console makers become either 3rd party or streaming services since every generation seems to bring us closer to the PC/Laptop/Console/Portable/Cell Phone/Television/Eyeglasses/Refrigerator/etc... Singularity, especially as high speed Internet becomes more ubiquitous.

Didn't that already flop when Steam tried to do it?

Kid A
08-31-2014, 09:43 AM
From what I understand, the biggest reason the Wii U was struggling was the lack of good games, but Super Smash and Zelda will change that.

Heck, the quasi-GC controller alone will probably go a long way to help, since the gamepad was also a turn off to many consumers.

jump
08-31-2014, 11:16 AM
From what I understand, the biggest reason the Wii U was struggling was the lack of good games, but Super Smash and Zelda will change that.

Heck, the quasi-GC controller alone will probably go a long way to help, since the gamepad was also a turn off to many consumers.

They have always had the pro controller.

alex
08-31-2014, 01:14 PM

Yeah, that was the arguement 5 years ago too.
And tablets and cellphones were going to replace consoles, and desktops were suppose to be gone in favor of laptops.

wjowski
08-31-2014, 01:46 PM

That'd require that mobile app games stop being trash.

At any rate if there can be a market out there for e-book readers like the Kindle then there's no reason handhelds can't stick around too.

Kid A
08-31-2014, 03:28 PM
Yeah, that was the arguement 5 years ago too.
And tablets and cellphones were going to replace consoles, and desktops were suppose to be gone in favor of laptops.

I mean yeah, I don't know anyone who still uses desktops. Even offices just hook up laptops to monitors.

Even consoles have basically just become glorified PC's.

daisetsu100
08-31-2014, 06:57 PM
honestly this thread just sounds like someone desperate to play nintendo games but not willing to buy another console just for it.

sunofdarkchild
09-02-2014, 11:09 PM
The WiiU has been consistently outselling the X-Box 1 since Mario Kart 8 came out in May, and with more big names like Smash and Zelda coming should be fine for the forseeable future.

wjowski
09-02-2014, 11:14 PM
I mean yeah, I don't know anyone who still uses desktops. Even offices just hook up laptops to monitors.

Conversely I own a desktop, and most of the people I know own one too.

Pinsir
09-02-2014, 11:53 PM
Nintendo has won!

Ghost
09-03-2014, 01:15 AM

Personally I know tons of people who use desktops, every single person in every office Ive worked in used desktop PCs. In creative fields like graphic design, game design, animation, music editing, etc. For serious work most people still have to use a pc, tablets and laptops are usually better suited for light work or playing around (music, web-browsing, writing). Yeah, laptops are more convenient since theyre portable. But they also have many limitations like low battery life (if not plugged in), higher price, less powerful GPU, and higher difficulty in updating with new parts over time.

StrongStyleSpirit
09-05-2014, 04:28 AM
I think it would be a sad day because I imagine the "community" making the games would be watered down. The spirit would leave and creativity owuld suffer. I honestly don't think gaming owuld ever be the same again.

alex
09-06-2014, 07:52 PM

I was a software consultant for 3 years, changed jobs 8 months ago.
If offices are just hooking laptops to monitors none of them are buying software, because i was in many large companies and they are all indeed still using desktops.

MarvelMaster616
09-08-2014, 02:39 AM
It could happen, but it won't happen. It won't happen for the same reason Apple would never let iOS to be installed on a Samsung phone. Nintendo is extremely set in their ways in that they're very strict about controlling their software and their hardware. They like to keep everything under the same umbrella. While this does have some advantages, those advantages can become detriments when the competition starts to surpass them. The Wii-U is being beat by the competition, plain and simple. The Wii had so much going for it because it innovated while the PS3 and X-box 360 tried to rely solely on updated graphics and computing power. They learned their lesson. Now it's the Wii-U that needs to innovate and I don't see that happening under Nintendo's current leadership. It's only when they start losing a lot of money that they'll change.

sunofdarkchild
09-08-2014, 04:23 AM
It could happen, but it won't happen. It won't happen for the same reason Apple would never let iOS to be installed on a Samsung phone. Nintendo is extremely set in their ways in that they're very strict about controlling their software and their hardware. They like to keep everything under the same umbrella. While this does have some advantages, those advantages can become detriments when the competition starts to surpass them. The Wii-U is being beat by the competition, plain and simple. The Wii had so much going for it because it innovated while the PS3 and X-box 360 tried to rely solely on updated graphics and computing power. They learned their lesson. Now it's the Wii-U that needs to innovate and I don't see that happening under Nintendo's current leadership. It's only when they start losing a lot of money that they'll change.

That's not it. The WiiU is easily the most innovative 8th gen home console with it's controller. The PS4 is the least innovative home console on the market, going for little more than the updated graphics and computing power you speak of. The thing is the WiiU is poorly marketed and confusing to consumers while the PS4 is a safe, known quantity.

And Wiiu is on pace to finish second, ahead of the X-Box.

JCAll
09-08-2014, 06:32 PM
The WiiU is a jumbo sized DS, the PS4/Xbox1 are basically PCs. This console generation is weird.

wjowski
10-01-2014, 05:19 PM
The only people at all convinced that Nintendo will go 3rd party are mobile users desperately hoping that someone actually capable of making decent games will enter the app market.

MarvelMaster616
10-07-2014, 02:25 AM
No. I couldn't. Nintendo is stubborn with its business model. They don't like to change and they aren't going to let anything make them change until they start losing enormous amounts of money. I don't see that happening anytime soon because they still have a strong cast of characters and properties that make them money. Plus, they've shown they can innovate in ways their competitors can't. It helped them succeed with the Wii and the DS. The Wii-U might not be as successful, but one misfire is not enough to make Nintendo change the model that has worked so well for them for so many years.

simbob4000
10-07-2014, 01:32 PM
No. I couldn't. Nintendo is stubborn with its business model. They don't like to change and they aren't going to let anything make them change until they start losing enormous amounts of money. I don't see that happening anytime soon because they still have a strong cast of characters and properties that make them money. Plus, they've shown they can innovate in ways their competitors can't. It helped them succeed with the Wii and the DS. The Wii-U might not be as successful, but one misfire is not enough to make Nintendo change the model that has worked so well for them for so many years.

Nintendo has been misfiring on the home console front since the N64. Even the Wii, which itself sold well, couldn't really move third-party titles.

MikeP
10-07-2014, 02:36 PM
Nintendo has been misfiring on the home console front since the N64. Even the Wii, which itself sold well, couldn't really move third-party titles.

It depends on how one defines success though. They could have done better, for sure, but they still created some of the most memorable games on those systems.

simbob4000
10-07-2014, 03:01 PM
It depends on how one defines success though. They could have done better, for sure, but they still created some of the most memorable games on those systems.

I think we're defining success in a business sense. They better be creating some of the most memorable games on those systems, because the third parties seemingly gave up on all those systems. Now they have to put out the best stuff for their home consoles, since the third parties just aren't really putting things on them because Nintendo isn't selling the stuff well.

I'm guessing next-gen Ninendo's console is going to be some kind of mobile/home thing.

MikeP
10-07-2014, 03:13 PM
I think we're defining success in a business sense. They better be creating some of the most memorable games on those systems, because the third parties seemingly gave up on all those systems. Now they have to put out the best stuff for their home consoles, since the third parties just aren't really putting things on them because Nintendo isn't selling the stuff well.

I'm guessing next-gen Ninendo's console is going to be some kind of mobile/home thing.

But even in the business sense, the N64 and GC weren't complete failures. Sure, they lost 3rd party support, but Nintendo still make buckets of money off them.

I'm pretty sure we're quickly heading towards streaming games entirely, meaning all you need is the TV with a connection and a controller. But I do agree, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo just make one TV/Handheld console and stuck with one platform.

simbob4000
10-07-2014, 03:42 PM
But even in the business sense, the N64 and GC weren't complete failures. Sure, they lost 3rd party support, but Nintendo still make buckets of money off them.

I'm pretty sure we're quickly heading towards streaming games entirely, meaning all you need is the TV with a connection and a controller. But I do agree, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo just make one TV/Handheld console and stuck with one platform.

I'm not sure they made buckets. They never sold them at a loss, which is good, but those consoles didn't do will.

We aren't going to have wholly streaming systems anytime soon. Americas internet network can't support it, aways online stuff is still terrible, and lots of people aren't going to want to buy games they don't fully own.