PDA

View Full Version : REVIEW: FCBD: Project Black Sky

CBR News
05-05-2014, 03:33 PM
"Project Black Sky" from writer Fred Van Lente, drawn by Michael Broussard and starring Brain Boy, Captain Midnight and Ape-X shows readers what Free Comic Book Day can really be all about.

Full review here (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=user_review&id=7278).

kcorstel
05-05-2014, 04:28 PM
Yes! Thank you for taking some time to call out the good examples of FCBD books! Too often publishers are just speaking to the converted with FCBD books, and ignoring the incredible opportunity that they have to reach NEW readers, some of whom may not have ever read a comic before! Don't just give them half-baked, poorly put together stories with vague characterizations, pint-sized snippets of longer books that don't make any sense, or impenetrable lead-ins to your next tired crossover! Give them complete stories that are FUN and GOOD and will help them see all that the possibilities of the art form! Let's hold the publishers more accountable for making sure their FCBD offerings are actually something that people will want to READ!

Tony Stark
05-05-2014, 08:28 PM
I really enjoyed this. This is by far the comic book I was looking forward to on FCBD and it did not disappoint. I'm really enjoying Brain Boy, but Captain Midnight has become one of my all time favorite characters. Apex was a very cool character and had a great introduction. Loved the sign language. Dark Horse is killing it on their Super Hero books. 4.5 stars is a very good review.

Power Torch
05-05-2014, 11:02 PM
It was for sure the best free comic! I was so excited to pick it up. They did not give a week comic, it was up to stuff with the whole Black Sky line! Which is great! It shows they really care about it! 4.5 is a great review for a free comic book! Dark Horse is killing it for sure! I am loving all of it!

Anjohl
05-06-2014, 10:25 PM
I picked this book up on FCBD, it was actually my first choice. My local retailer asks that each customer only take three books, and this was an easy choice. I found out about Captain Midnight, and Dark Horse's burgeoning Golden Age-centric superhero universe. I picked up the first CM trade, but have yet to get to it. I decided to read Skyman #1, which was absolutely fantastic. It reminded me of what I loved about the early Geoff Johns Green Lantern. This book was just as good, if not better. I love Ape-X, and loved how Captain Midnight perfectly encapsulted a "Captain America" type hero, but for the modern world.

I typically eschew superhero books, but Dark Horse and Valiant alike have some very interesting things brewing.

Power Torch
05-07-2014, 12:17 AM
I picked this book up on FCBD, it was actually my first choice. My local retailer asks that each customer only take three books, and this was an easy choice. I found out about Captain Midnight, and Dark Horse's burgeoning Golden Age-centric superhero universe. I picked up the first CM trade, but have yet to get to it. I decided to read Skyman #1, which was absolutely fantastic. It reminded me of what I loved about the early Geoff Johns Green Lantern. This book was just as good, if not better. I love Ape-X, and loved how Captain Midnight perfectly encapsulted a "Captain America" type hero, but for the modern world.

I typically eschew superhero books, but Dark Horse and Valiant alike have some very interesting things brewing.
Glad to always see a new fan of Project Black Sky join us! I am glad this FCBD is getting new people to join us. Its also get up there in cost on ebay, its one of the highest costing FCBD books so far this year, according to bleeding cool its about 8 dollars on ebay!

Have you read X or Ghost yet?

Bslythegamerguy
05-07-2014, 06:49 AM

Hold onto your seat, my friend. It's going to be a crazy ride! Seriously, check out Captain Midnight and X and tell me that Dynamite isn't on top of things, creatively speaking. This line of books are amazing and new fans keep coming every day it seems, so no wonder why Dark Horse is so dedicated to it's lasting appeal.

HsssH
05-08-2014, 02:50 AM
That sign language use was 10/10.

harashkupo
05-08-2014, 10:36 AM

I automatically thought of "Congo" when I saw that.
This was an awesome issue. I respect the fact that these guys gave us a well written and beautifully illustrated comic for FCBD.

Power Torch
05-08-2014, 03:50 PM
As someone who knows some sign, I really, really, really liked this!