PDA

View Full Version : BOOM Studio's cartoon lineup: Adventure Time, Regular Show, Gumball etc

SXVA
05-09-2014, 12:41 AM
These are some of my favorite Comics out there right now and i think Boom Studios is doing a fantastic job at putting together a solid Cartoon Comic lineup.

Let's see what we have so far:

Adventure Time
It's at around 30 issues so far, the 2014 Annual was just released (in which i got both the main cover and the fantastic Lorena Gomez variant).
It's mainly written by Ryan North who does such an extraordinary job on this series, I was just reading one of my Adventure Time comics the other day where the narrative is from a gem and initially the Dinosaurs are there and it's such a great comic.

I switch up from buying singles and the Mathematical Hardcover Editions, the Hardcovers are really great but they only contain a few issues... the first one has like 4 issues but it has tons of bonus covers and i feel it's well worth it to get them. There's i think 3 Mathematical Editions available so far so it's a bit behind.

There's a few spinoffs such as "Fionna and Cake" which is my favorite... and there's a Mathematical Edition of that coming in the future which i'm definitely picking up.

There's also Banana Guard, Candy Capers, Marcelinne and the Scream Queens, The Flip Side, Sugary Shorts and a few Original Graphic Novels.

The graphic novels are in black and white from what i've seen and so i tend to avoid them, as colors are a big part of things for me.

This is an extraordinary series that's very faithful to the cartoon.

Okay, then there's.

The Amazing World of Gumball
The first issue is coming out sometime around June or July. I've caught a few episodes of the cartoon and it was good in my opinion, so... i have no reason to think the comic won't also be good if the other Boom Studios cartoon line is any indication. I've already ordered 1 from dcbservice.

This Item Ship in June

WHY WE LOVE IT: Not only to we get to work with some of our favorite creators on this project, but nothing these days has the mixed-media look of THE AMAZING WORLD OF GUMBALL, and we are the lucky ones who get to bring it to comics!

WHY YOU’LL LOVE IT: Popular webcomic creators Frank Gibson (TINY KITTEN TEETH) and artist Tyson Hesse (BOXER HOCKEY) bring the wacky adventures of Gumball and his friends to comics for the first time!

WHAT IT’S ABOUT: Gumball, Darwin, and all of their friends take on the world of comics! Gumball thinks he’s the coolest kid on the block, but his little sister Anais begs to differ, and Darwin just wants to keep them all out of trouble. There’s always another adventure to be had in their mixed-up world!

Bee and Puppycat
The cartoon had one of the most successful kickstarter campaigns in history, from the same creator that brought "Fionna and Cake" into Adventure Time... Natasha Allegri. The first issue is of the comic series is coming soon.
Can watch a preview of the cartoon here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOG_UtLxh58
WHY WE LOVE IT: Because Natasha Allegri is simply amazing. She built up a big fan-following on Tumblr while working on the Adventure Time cartoon, then created gender-swapped characters (Fionna and Cake) that became so popular they put them into the show. Then, she created BEE AND PUPPYCAT and it became the most funded web series project in Kickstarter history. How could we NOT publish it?

WHY YOU’LL LOVE IT: You might already love it if you’re one of the thousands who supported the Kickstarter campaign, but for those of you just joining us, if you like stories that feature magical girls like SAILOR MOON, MADOKA MAGICA, and POWERPUFF GIRLS, you will enjoy BEE AND PUPPYCAT! It’s a slice-of-life story with a twist, and it has so much comedy and enchantment you can’t help but be swept up.

WHAT IT’S ABOUT: It’s a quirky new take on the magical girl genre with Bee, the forever unemployed main character who can’t seem to figure out life, and the mysterious PuppyCat, a stray...whatever it is…that she stumbled across who has a powerful secret. Fighting bad guys has never been so funny.

Bravest Warriors
I haven't really got into this one as of yet, i've so far only bought a special. I plan to eventually... just a lot of other stuff to get into. The special i got "Catbug special" was really good.

Based on ADVENTURE TIME creator Pendleton Ward's brand new animated series! Join Chris, Wallow, Beth and Danny, four 16-year-old heroes-for-hire, as they warp from galaxy to galaxy, saving alien races with the power of their...emotions. They're noble, righteous and totally bodacious! This new series of original comics based on the new series from ADVENTURE TIME creator Pen Ward is sure to be a smash!

Regular Show
This has been hit or miss for me so far, I feel like it's just decent.. there's not enough zany/cartoony creativity in the art and writing consistently. There will be a really good issue and then it's kind of a few boring issues. That's just my opinion of it. The first volume in trade was recently released.

REGULAR SHOW...IT’S ANYTHING BUT! Cartoon Network’s powerhouse series now has its own comic book series! Hot on the heels of the smash hit adaptation, ADVENTURE TIME, KaBOOM! unveils the next all-ages comic phenomenon! Join Mordecai the Bluejay and Rigby the Raccoon, a couple of best bros in their twenties just tryin’ to chill for a bit, man. But when you’re livin’ in as crazy a world as they are, no day can be called...regular!

Garfield
I don't follow this one.

Join Garfield as he begins his monthly exploits with Jon, Odie, and the rest of the gang in the latest all-ages must-read from KaBOOM!

Herobear and the Kid
I also don't follow this one at the moment as it seems to mostly be in black and white and I need color in my comics. Especially the more cartoony ones.

WHY WE LOVE IT: Tyler and Herobear are back in an all-new original adventure! We’ve been waiting to see these two back in action and we’re looking forward to see what shenanigans these two get up to in SAVING TIME, the first new Herobear series in over 10 years.

WHY YOU’LL LOVE IT: Whether you’re already a fan of this dynamic duo, or new to HEROBEAR AND THE KID, nobody does the magic of childhood quite like Mike Kunkel.

WHAT IT’S ABOUT: Henry, the family’s magical butler, is missing!! It’s up to Tyler and Herobear to figure out what happened to their friend—only they might learn a lot more about Henry than they initially thought and be forced to get help from an unsuspected source.

I'm hoping Gumball/Bee and Puppycat will be a success and more of these similar Cartoon Comics will be explored. Not sure if anyone else has much interest in these but i figured i'd put it out there.

I'm still waiting on my Adventure Time Annual to be shipped to me so i don't have much to talk about until i receive it. Haha. It looks like a great one though, as it's about Fionna and Cake.

TotalSnorefest
05-09-2014, 09:31 PM
Totes agreed on Adventure Time, probably my favourite comic being published right now. Certainly the best licensed property in comics if you'd ask me; and I'm including Marvel & DC there. Do you know what the Sugary Shorts trades collect by any chance? Just the material that gets released in the Annual/Winter Special/Summer Special/Halloween Special? Or is it all-new material?

Also gonna try Bee & Puppycat once it comes to trade format. :) That show on YouTube is hilarious, hope it translates well to comics. (For me, the voice acting is a large source of laughs.)

SXVA
05-09-2014, 10:37 PM
Totes agreed on Adventure Time, probably my favourite comic being published right now. Certainly the best licensed property in comics if you'd ask me; and I'm including Marvel & DC there. Do you know what the Sugary Shorts trades collect by any chance? Just the material that gets released in the Annual/Winter Special/Summer Special/Halloween Special? Or is it all-new material?

Also gonna try Bee & Puppycat once it comes to trade format. :) That show on YouTube is hilarious, hope it translates well to comics. (For me, the voice acting is a large source of laughs.)

Awesome!

From what I understand about "Sugary Shorts" (I haven't picked it up yet) is that within the single format issue there are shorts [a couple pages] from independent artists in the back of each issue relating to Adventure Time... and this collection puts the first 10-15 issues of them together, as these shorts aren't collected within the main Volume collections.

Checking up on Amazon it says there's 144 pages, and according to the Kaboom website it's... "SUGARY SHORTS is all the short stories from issue #1-14."

Another great thing about Adventure Time but bad for my wallet is they have such amazing variant covers, it's one of the few comics i'm always so tempted to get the more expensive variants.

Bee and Puppycat definitely has a lot of potential but yeah, that's a good point... it can be sometimes difficult to translate it from the series to the Comic. Since Allegri has a big role in it I believe it will be good.

SXVA
05-10-2014, 12:08 AM
Here's a few of the notable upcoming related Comics in July,

ADV TIME BANANA GUARD ACADEMY #1 (OF 6)
(W) Kent Osborne (A) Madeline Rupert (CA) Aimee Fleck, Michele Petrucci
WHY WE LOVE IT: Not only are the Banana Guards hilarious as the Candy Kingdom's protectors, but this series is written by Kent Osborne, one of the current writers of the ADVENTURE TIME show. Kent is responsible for some of our favorite episodes of the show and we're thrilled to have him write his first comic book.
WHY YOU'LL LOVE IT: If you love ADVENTURE TIME, you can't get beat a comic series written by one of the show's writers and the creator of Root Beer Guy! Also great if you like bananas.
WHAT IT'S ABOUT: Turns out that there is a lot to being a Banana Guard-but being a Banana is not mandatory. This crazy adventure follows Root Beer Guy as he starts his search for new recruits among Ooo's citizens. Only the best will do in his quest to protect the Candy Kingdom!

THE AMAZING WORLD OF GUMBALL #2
Retail Price: $3.99
Author: Frank Gibson
Artist: Tyson Hesse
Cover Artists: A. Missy Pena B. Zachary Sterling C. Irene Flores (Incentive)
Gumball and Darwin might have done of lot of things that could be considered immature and dangerous in the long years that they’ve been alive, but none of that even comes close to what they’re about to do in this issue. May Anais have mercy on their souls…

BEE AND PUPPYCAT #3
Author: Natasha Allegri
Artist: Natasha Allegri
Cover Artist(s): A. Natasha Allegri B. Zac Gorman C. Chrystin Garland (Incentive)
Bee just wants to get paid! Sure, she might not be qualified for any actual jobs—or at least any jobs in the normal world—but she’s a hard worker…most of the time, and she gets stuff done…sometimes! This mission might be tougher than it looks; aliens always tend to complicate things. It’s a hard life but at least she has PuppyCat to help her out!

HEROBEAR AND THE KID: SAVING TIME #4 (of 5)
Author: Mike Kunkel
Artist: Mike Kunkel
Cover Artist: Mike Kunkel
Von Klon continues his plot to take over at the stroke of midnight and it’s up to Tyler to save the day and his captured friends before Von Klon can officially destroy Christmas. With some luck on his side, Tyler might be able to stop Von Klon for good but will it be too late? And where is baby Henry?

GARFIELD #27
Author: Mark Evanier
Artist: Andy Hirsch
Cover Artist: Andy Hirsch
As the summer heats up, Garfield and the gang keep it cool with two all-new stories. First, a tall-tale telling mouse stirs things up for Garfield and Odie, and then, Garfield must solve a whodunit: Who stole his Orange Meringue Pie?

BRAVEST WARRIORS #22
Author: Kate Leth
Artist: Ian McGinty
Cover Artists: A: Mike Bear B: Sibylline Meynet C: Claire Sullivan (Incentive)
The Bravest Warriors know how to save the universe and they know how to save it good! But what happens when it’s the universe’s time to save them? It’s going to be a crazy mission but maybe the universe is up to it, and if not, then hopefully Catbug will come up with something. Right?

ADVENTURE TIME #30
Author: Ryan North
Artists: Liz Prince, Carey Pietsch, Rebecca Tobin, Yumi Sakugawa, and Jon Vermilyea
Cover Artists: A: Mike Holmes B: Nick Iluzada (Subscription Cover) C: Luke Pearson (Incentive)
It’s a rad stand-alone ZINE Special! Enjoy this crazy special as the citizens of Ooo create their own zines to share. Marceline has a lot to say about her music, Peppermint Butler has a few life tips for anyone who will listen (and everyone should listen), and Finn creates his very first journal comic. A sick homage to DIY and mini-comics culture printed on uncoated paper and made to look like a zine from the ADVENTURE TIME gang!

REGULAR SHOW #13
Authors: Minty Lewis
Artist: Allison Strejlau
Cover Artists: A: Andy Hirsch B: Cole Closser (Subscription Cover) C: Fellipe Martins (Incentive)
WHY WE LOVE IT: We’ve been publishing REGULAR SHOW for a year and it’s official: It is our favorite show and comic about two best bros just trying to get through their work day… with the craziest, most unexpected turns you can imagine.
WHY YOU'LL LOVE IT: If you're a fan of REGULAR SHOW, then this is definitely something you don't want to miss: Storyboard artist and the voice for Eileen, Minty Lewis, will be writing this issue. And if you haven't seen the show, who better to show you around the Park?
WHAT IT’S ABOUT: Eileen gets recruited to help Mordecai and Rigby decorate the park for the annual park party and it’s the only a matter of time before something goes wrong...a small fire, three missing children, and a crashed blimp later, things are only going to get worse and the party hasn’t even started yet.

These don't exactly fit into the cartoon line-up but they're noteworthy and Boom Studios related:
One is sort of a cartoony comic in Lumberjanes and the other is a great series by Adventure Time writer Ryan North which is coming to an end... heads up to check out the trade when it's released. Both I feel like are pretty fun books.

LUMBERJANES #4 (of 8)
Authors: Grace Ellis and Noelle Stevenson
Artist: Brooke Allen
Cover Artists: A. Noelle Stevenson B. Kris Anka (Incentive)
After a lot of convincing, the girls are able to agree to get Jen to take them on a hike. Making their way up to the tower and hoping to finally get some answers, they make their way closer only to be stopped by the neighboring boy camp! April, Mal, Molly, Jo, and Ripley have to figure out how to get to the tower, even if they have to use Jen as a distraction to do it.

THE MIDAS FLESH #8 (of 8)
Author: Ryan North
Artists: Shelli Paroline and Braden Lamb
Cover Artists: A. John Keogh B. Andrew Hussie (Incentive)
Ladies and gentlemen, the end is nigh… of THE MIDAS FLESH, that is. Our crew has done everything in their power to stop the universe from ending from the Midas curse, but were their efforts enough? Tune in for this finale that’s so crazy, you wouldn’t believe us if we spoiled it for you right now.

THEN THERE'S THE BIGGEST TREASURE OF THEM ALL:

The Mathematical Edition of Fionna and Cake, I own the TP version of it and it's great but the Mathematical Hardcover should be an upgrade. Certainly a must buy from me.

ADVENTURE TIME WITH FIONNA & CAKE MATHEMATICAL EDITION HC
Retail Price: $39.99
Author: Natasha Allegri
Artist: Natasha Allegri
Cover Design: Hannah Nance Partlow
When Fionna rescues a feral flame boy from the Ice Queen, it starts her on a quest she'll never forget. It’s a crazy adventure with magic flan and magic wands, everything you need in a monster-fighting, queen-defeating, wacky story filled with friends and sweet, sweet justice. Join Cake the Cat and Fionna the Human in this totally algebraic new adventure, written and drawn by FIONNA & CAKE creator and ADVENTURE TIME™ storyboard artist Natasha Allegri! This totally mathematical hardcover edition features never-before-seen extras, including an inside look at the ADVENTURE TIME WITH FIONNA & CAKE comic!

GARFIELD VOL. 4 TP
Retail Price: $13.99
Authors: Mark Evanier and Scott Nickel
Artists: Andy Hirsch and various
Cover Artist: Gary Barker
The good times continue to roll in this next collection of Garfield comic book stories! In this round, we see how the gang beats the heat, learn if Jon can finally stop being late, and if Nermal can set a world record. Also, Pet Force stops by!

TotalSnorefest
05-10-2014, 10:09 AM
From what I understand about "Sugary Shorts" (I haven't picked it up yet) is that within the single format issue there are shorts [a couple pages] from independent artists in the back of each issue relating to Adventure Time... and this collection puts the first 10-15 issues of them together, as these shorts aren't collected within the main Volume collections.

Checking up on Amazon it says there's 144 pages, and according to the Kaboom website it's... "SUGARY SHORTS is all the short stories from issue #1-14."

Another great thing about Adventure Time but bad for my wallet is they have such amazing variant covers, it's one of the few comics i'm always so tempted to get the more expensive variants.
You know the variants are also included in the back of each trade paperback right? That could save you a lot of money. ^^ But awesome, thanks for the heads up. Didn't know they had monthly shorts, so guess I'll get the sugary shorts trade soon then... Dang you Boom and your coy marketing schemes! Just wish they'd collect the annuals and special issues somewhere too, there's like 4 a year and I always forget to order them.
And yeah agreed, Allegri's Fionna & Cake was one of my favourite mini-series ever, so now doing her own work it's bound to be stellar. It's weird, 2 years ago I was reading only Marvel/DC, and nowadays Image and Boom take up like 2/3rd of my pull list.

SXVA
05-10-2014, 05:40 PM
You know the variants are also included in the back of each trade paperback right? That could save you a lot of money. ^^ But awesome, thanks for the heads up. Didn't know they had monthly shorts, so guess I'll get the sugary shorts trade soon then... Dang you Boom and your coy marketing schemes! Just wish they'd collect the annuals and special issues somewhere too, there's like 4 a year and I always forget to order them.
And yeah agreed, Allegri's Fionna & Cake was one of my favourite mini-series ever, so now doing her own work it's bound to be stellar. It's weird, 2 years ago I was reading only Marvel/DC, and nowadays Image and Boom take up like 2/3rd of my pull list.

Yeah, I love that they include so many covers in the collected Volumes and it's awesome to have so many interesting covers to gaze upon therein... but sometimes it's nice to have the cover artwork on a single issue as well.

I agree about the Annuals and Specials, i try my best to pick them up in single format when i can but I also got into the serie late and so I missed a few... Guess I could check out Ebay or something and try and obtain them.

It would be nice if my 2014 Annual ever showed up, my order was delayed.

Sprite
05-10-2014, 06:27 PM
I read Adventure Time, Lumberjanes and Regular Show, and I'll be getting Bravest Warriors (once Kate Leth takes over), Bee & Puppycat, Gumball and Uncle Grandpa when they come out.

SXVA
05-10-2014, 07:19 PM
I read Adventure Time, Lumberjanes and Regular Show, and I'll be getting Bravest Warriors (once Kate Leth takes over), Bee & Puppycat, Gumball and Uncle Grandpa when they come out.

Cool. For my personal preferences i'd add Lumberjanes to the line-up, i'm not sure if technically it's as cartoony as the others but there are similar elements and it's fun.

Cartoon comics make up the majority of my pull list. Hehe.

Basically the same as you with some Teen Titans Go!, Sonic the Hedgehog, My Little Pony, Littlest Pet Shop, TMNT New Animated Adventures and Scooby-Doo and the Marvel Comics with cartoon inspired art like All-New Doop and She-Hulk, etc.

Good to know that at least a few people out there are appreciating these same things.

I'd highly recommend "Midas Flesh" as well, i mean... it has a frigging Dinosaur Scientist, what's not to love.

TotalSnorefest
05-10-2014, 08:27 PM
Yeah I'm reading Lumberjanes and The Midas Flesh too. Lumberjanes, the first issue I liked alright but I feel it's still lacking something? Can't quite pinpoint it though... But maybe that'll come later. The art is great and it made me laugh. Midas Flesh on the other hand... yeeeeesssh at first I was expecting it to be comedy, and it certainly has a lot of funny moments. But dang I got really invested in the characters. And then #5 is a complete bombshell!! Can't wait to see where it's headed, so great.

imawizard
05-14-2014, 09:16 AM
Adventure time is the reason I got into traditional comics, I read a ton of webcomics and a lot of my faves were doing mini stories and covers and stuff so I started picking them up, starting with Marceline & the Scream Queens (Octopus Pie is one of my favorite things) and Fionna and cake. It took me a couple of months (especially the marceline stuff yeesh) but I bought all of the issues, and am now current. I still want to buy some covers I like, especially webcomic folks covers, but it's tough to find some.

I read lumberjanes and Midas Flesh too! Super fun. I got into some marvel stuff eventually (cap marvel, ms marvel, silver surfer, & spiderman) but the boom comics are my jam.

Do the mathematical editions collect the shorts?

SXVA
05-14-2014, 12:22 PM
Thanks for sharing, that's cool that it got you into Comics basically.

I don't think the Mathematical versions include the shorts either. Only the Sugary Shorts do as far as i know.

imawizard
06-06-2014, 10:22 AM
i just read the last issue of Adenture Time Flipside, and what a bummer. that series had a really good premise, but kinda feel apart halfway through. the ending was kinda dumb too. i feel the same way about Candy Capers, that had a real bad ending too.

TotalSnorefest
06-08-2014, 04:20 PM
i just read the last issue of Adenture Time Flipside, and what a bummer. that series had a really good premise, but kinda feel apart halfway through. the ending was kinda dumb too. i feel the same way about Candy Capers, that had a real bad ending too.

Yeah? That's a real bummer to be honest, I was thinking of getting the trade. For some reason none of the mini-series besides Fionna & Cake and Marceline & Scream Queens have really appealed to me. Does keep costs down though! :) Has anyone here read the black/white OGNs they do for Adventure Time? I read the first one about Flame Princess and liked it alright, but it was nothing super special and they're not veeeery cheap... However the 3rd one is done by Kate Leth and about Marceline, anyone who thinks it's good?

imawizard
06-09-2014, 07:20 AM
Yeah? That's a real bummer to be honest, I was thinking of getting the trade. For some reason none of the mini-series besides Fionna & Cake and Marceline & Scream Queens have really appealed to me. Does keep costs down though! :) Has anyone here read the black/white OGNs they do for Adventure Time? I read the first one about Flame Princess and liked it alright, but it was nothing super special and they're not veeeery cheap... However the 3rd one is done by Kate Leth and about Marceline, anyone who thinks it's good?

The OGN wasn't good? What a drag, I was looking forward to reading, prolly still will since it's written by Danielle Corsetto. She's writing the next one too (4th OGN)

TotalSnorefest
06-09-2014, 07:51 AM
The OGN wasn't good? What a drag, I was looking forward to reading, prolly still will since it's written by Danielle Corsetto. She's writing the next one too (4th OGN)

Well no it's not bad, I enjoyed myself reading it and it's kinda cute and pretty too. But it didn't really hit the bar of the main series for me so it left me kinda wanting more out of it. That's why I wanted to see if anyone had read the 3rd one, by Kate Leth, since it's about a character I like and stuff. :)