PDA

View Full Version : The Force Vs. Alchemy Vs. Wizardry Vs. Ninjutsu

Awesome-X
05-11-2014, 03:15 PM
One day you receive a box containing four colored pills with the following effects:

-White Pill: Gives you the ability to use the Force from Star Wars.

-Red Pill: Gives you the ability to perform Fullmetal Alchemist style Alchemy.

-Blue Pill: Gives you the ability to perform Harry Potter style Magic.

-Green Pill: Gives you the ability to perform Naruto style Ninjutsu & Genjutsu.

But, with the following catches:

-1: You start out as a beginner on all four (but you'll be given an Instruction Manual & Video to help you learn).

-2: You can only choose one pill (the others would disappear).

-3: Your potential in all four would be considered "Normal" by the standards of that universe.

Which pill (If any) do you choose and what do you do with your new power?

BitVyper
05-11-2014, 05:15 PM
Green. Dunno so much about Full Metal Alchemist, but even "normal" Naruto ninjas are leagues above force users or Harry Potter wizards. Hell, even Rock Lee, who is below average to the extent that taijutsu is all he can even do, is leagues above them, and the series makes it a major point that he has no real talent except that he works hard. The only reason I can think of to select HP magic instead is that it might have a bit more mundane utility, but meh.

Blackid
05-11-2014, 05:39 PM
Definitely going for the green pill Ninjitsu/Genjitsu has so many fun capabilities.

Hazard
05-11-2014, 06:15 PM
HP Magic.

Yeah, Super Awesome Force feats from the EU which is now so not canon but whatever.

Yeah, super awesome time space ninjutsu.

Yeah, .... something something Alchemy.

HP Wizards just wave a wand, say silly words and that's it. That's all you need to do to completely screw the laws of the universe. Float stuff? Check. Make something weightless so you don't have to carry something heavy? Check. Teleport so you can sleep in late and still get to your job early? Check. Make things bigger on the inside than on the outside so you'll always have room left? Check. Magic yourself some money? Check.

HP Magic is the way to go.

Farealmer
05-11-2014, 07:07 PM
HP Magic.

Yeah, Super Awesome Force feats from the EU which is now so not canon but whatever.

HP Wizards just wave a wand, say silly words and that's it. That's all you need to do to completely screw the laws of the universe. Float stuff? Check. Make something weightless so you don't have to carry something heavy? Check. Teleport so you can sleep in late and still get to your job early? Check. Make things bigger on the inside than on the outside so you'll always have room left? Check. Magic yourself some money? Check.

This

In addition making magic items could change this world for the better. A lot of scarcity issues could be taken of with enough time and research.

king arthas
05-11-2014, 07:42 PM
Can't you use FMA alchemy to make yourself a god?

BitVyper
05-11-2014, 09:41 PM
HP Magic.

Well, you still need at least a couple years of regular practice to get any good at the basics, so it's not particularly easier than Naruto's stuff, and you can lose most of it if you lose your wand since you don't have a way to replace it. Apparating is utterly fantastic, and there's a lot of great utility stuff, but there's also a metric buttload of low and middle tier ninja stuff that you can pick up which will be fantastic and basically allow you to do whatever you want in the modern world. I'm taking "normal" ninjas to be everyone who didn't have some inborn special power or sealed demons here, mainly based on stuff like Rock Lee being notably talentless to the point of being below average, and Sakura having been noted as having chakra more in line with the "average" early in the series before distinguishing herself. So while you're not getting Kyubi powers or magic eye powers, there's no indication that a "normal" ninja can't do basically everything else with enough practice. And that's a ton of options for really cool, highly functional super powers.

I can see going for HP magic too, but I definitely wouldn't weigh it any better than ninja magic. The main draw, I feel, would be apparating.

The Drunkard Kid
05-11-2014, 09:49 PM
Can't you use FMA alchemy to make yourself a god?

Not with normal potential. Even super genius prodigies like the Elrics and Roy lost major body parts (like all of it, in Alphonse's case) just from seeing the Truth, and attaining its power required centuries of planning on the part of the being that basically created the style or Alchemy they used and uncountable human sacrifices.

Harry Potter magic teaches transmutation to even the stupidest wizards, and they take licensing exams for teleportation.

MorphyVSFischer
05-12-2014, 04:48 AM
HP Magic.

I mean they go to school for years to perfect there craft, and considering guys like Voldemort and Dumbledore are above anyone there's clearly a level of skill and talent beyond waving a wand and spouting off pseudo-latin.

Hazard
05-12-2014, 07:38 AM
I mean they go to school for years to perfect there craft, and considering guys like Voldemort and Dumbledore are above anyone there's clearly a level of skill and talent beyond waving a wand and spouting off pseudo-latin.

The difference is any normal wizard can do the things I talked about. 7 years of schooling is kind of annoying, but, by the end of the first year, students could do levitate stuff and perform minor transmutation so it's not really a bad deal at all.

MorphyVSFischer
05-12-2014, 09:36 AM
The difference is any normal wizard can do the things I talked about. 7 years of schooling is kind of annoying, but, by the end of the first year, students could do levitate stuff and perform minor transmutation so it's not really a bad deal at all.

Fair enough, I don't really know enough about the other except to really comment how hard it would be by comparison.

Melchior
05-12-2014, 04:08 PM

From a practicality standpoint, this is what puts the wizard group ahead of the others. It is at least straightforward to learn, there is a number of "around the house" type spells, and things like broom-assisted flight and apparation or the equivalent of car licenses - everyone can get it. When you consider Naruto jutsu, which requires physical and mental health that can kill you, the Force which is mostly low-level TK, and Alchemy basically requires you to know how exactly to build something in order to get a result. Of those three, Alchemy is probably the best alternative, since lead-to-gold transmutation was relatively simple.

Anyway, I'd go with being a wizard (with much better sense than normal).

Farealmer
05-12-2014, 05:22 PM
From a practicality standpoint, this is what puts the wizard group ahead of the others. It is at least straightforward to learn, there is a number of "around the house" type spells, and things like broom-assisted flight and apparation or the equivalent of car licenses - everyone can get it. When you consider Naruto jutsu, which requires physical and mental health that can kill you, the Force which is mostly low-level TK, and Alchemy basically requires you to know how exactly to build something in order to get a result. Of those three, Alchemy is probably the best alternative, since lead-to-gold transmutation was relatively simple.

Anyway, I'd go with being a wizard (with much better sense than normal).
Quoted for Truth

What puts it ahead of the Naruto jutsu(the second most popular it seems) is that while jutsu's are more powerful overall they are harder to learn. Most ninjas, not blessed with Sharingan copying, focus only on one specific technique and branch techs from it. While the universal techniques are few and far between and only about as powerful as HP spells anyway. While with HP magic everybody can learn basically everything. You can make devices so you don't have to constantly cast spells to do stuff. And even average guys can cast pretty powerful spells(like fyrefiend).

In short I don't need to fight superhumans, I want a easier life. And magic is better for that in everyway.

Captain Morgan
05-12-2014, 05:48 PM
Harry Potter magic is less constrained by any sort of internal consistency for how it operates. While personally I find that less appealing from a narrative perspective, it makes it a superior choice to make your life better.

Guy Smiley
05-12-2014, 06:57 PM
The Force. Remember, the prequels make it fairly obvious that it includes a fair amount of Telemechanics, even untrained, which means even as an 'average' Force-user, (who are at least capable of making a Lightsaber out of spare parts, albeit with a special crystal I can't get) I can probably go all Iron Man on the modern world, patent my stuff, and sit on my duff in Cancun while the cash continually rolls in. The Jedi Mind trick, precog, and some minor telekinesis are gravy.

HP magic is actually my number two go-to. Since the pills don't come with a wand, I'm assuming there's a workaround. Not to mention, AFAIK, Harry's about average in the setting. I'll never be a Dumbledore or Voldemort, but things like Imperius, Crucius, Sectumsempra, Fiendfyre, Apparation, and a number of other things random students and teachers do seem well within my reach, given enough study. But things like Potions? Useless without the ingredients, and there has to be some reason they can't just transmute things into said ingredients. Floo? What's in Floo powder, and is there any way I can make it? Broomsticks? What goes into enchanting those things? A lot of the stuff the wizarding world takes for granted might be based on material components I just can't get.

Naruto-style ninjitsu is number three. The Academy Three jutsu are very nice, I must admit, as is water/tree walking. Presumably, with a lot of practice I could pull off moves like Sasuke's fireball, or some minor genjutsu. But a lot of ninja in the series are above-average, using clan/family secret jutsu I won't assume I can get, (so no ShikaInoCho goodness...) summoning contracts which I assume I won't get, or bloodlines, which I definitely won't get. I suppose I could try learning fuunjutsu, but jeez, that stuff's supposed to be a lot harder to pick up than HP magic.

And then there's FMA alchemy. Average alchemists have to draw a giant circle before they can do anything, know an awful lot about what they want to create, and there's still all the other rules and drawbacks that you have to worry about. I've only seen the old anime series, so I dunno how accurate my expectations are, but I certainly would like to avoid summoning homonculi.

Sasuke Uchiha
05-12-2014, 07:20 PM
I'd obviously go with the Naruto based magic system.

Kids as young as 5 graduated the academy for Leaf Ninjas, knowing how to transform into other people, and make clones, break genjutsu. By 6 you could be a chunin, which means at a bare minimum you know how walk on walk, walk up vertical surfaces, summon tools or ninja animals, probably know a handlful of ninjutsu or genjutsu. So if you want to learn a magic system that doesn't take a great deal of time, but rather just requires you to either specialize or be extremely talented, and there is always the possibility of being both of those things ninjutsu from Naruto seems like the way to go. 3 years and you could be a generalist master of various forms of ninjutsu/genjutsu, with the potential to specialize in various fields like Medical Jutsu, or Space Time Jutsu.

OverLordArthas
05-12-2014, 07:33 PM
I will go with ninjutsu, the other choices needs outside force while ninjutsu uses chackra, your bodies natural energy (with exception of sage arts).

The Drunkard Kid
05-12-2014, 08:02 PM
I'd obviously go with the Naruto based magic system.

Kids as young as 5 graduated the academy for Leaf Ninjas, knowing how to transform into other people, and make clones, break genjutsu. By 6 you could be a chunin, which means at a bare minimum you know how walk on walk, walk up vertical surfaces, summon tools or ninja animals, probably know a handlful of ninjutsu or genjutsu. So if you want to learn a magic system that doesn't take a great deal of time, but rather just requires you to either specialize or be extremely talented, and there is always the possibility of being both of those things ninjutsu from Naruto seems like the way to go. 3 years and you could be a generalist master of various forms of ninjutsu/genjutsu, with the potential to specialize in various fields like Medical Jutsu, or Space Time Jutsu.
Those are not normal level fighters, those were super geniuses that would go on to become Kage level fighters in their mid-late twenties, in the middle of a period of active warfare, training and then going straight into battles that got quite a few of their compatriots killed young or drove them essentially insane. Like, family slaughtering insane. Your normal ninja is probably the adult genin with mediocre chakra levels, who has either never won or possibly even never been nominated to go to the Chuunin exam because they would probably be killed.

I mean, even the Rookie 9 are basically the heirs of established ninja families, possessed magical bloodline abilities that trace back to the creation of ninjutsu as a whole, the secret heir to two high end ninja who also has the strongest tailed beast stuck inside him, and Sakura, who, low levels of chakra aside, is a super genius sufficient to become one of the strongest ninja and best doctors in the world in about 3 years with no magic bloodlines. Even Rock Lee only became a factor because Gai decided to make him a personal project and, in addition to training him to completely insane degrees even by the standards of a village run by trained martial artist assassin-soldiers that started training from early childhood, he was a genius at opening the Gates (which was considered an insane and apparently practically abusive thing to do by the guy who became Chuunin at 6).

99% of any group is basically cannon fodder. Of all the options available, Harry Potter cannon fodder just sucks in a fight while still being able to teleport, possibly fly by themselves, and be able to transmute objects/paralyze people/etc... after basic middle/high school classes. Also, I don't think we ever learned what actually fuels HP magic.

Sasuke Uchiha
05-13-2014, 06:05 AM
I am aware of what level of ability Kakashi and Itachi had, hence I mentioned " either specialize or be extremely talented, and there is always the possibility of being both of those things" and also said "3 years and you could be a generalist master of various forms of ninjutsu/genjutsu, with the potential to specialize in various fields like Medical Jutsu, or Space Time Jutsu."

And quite frankly, everyone in Naruto specializes in something. It's my opinion why they have the system they have, so that they can produce component Ninja teams without requiring 10 years or more of study like Hogwart's or who knows how long in FMA, and Jedi's pretty much required your entire childhood and some of your adult life to even get the right to try for Jedi Knight status. The Academy that's the only rank im talking about right now still graduates kids, and places them into teams to make up for each individuals weaknesses, tells them to form bonds and work together to secure success as well as keep each other alive, further strengthening this by assign a jounin level team leader to oversee his/her charges and to continue their evaluation and training. Again my opinion it's a better system that allows for faster growth and specialized operatives that are needed for various situations. This is in contrast to say, Jedi who require decades if i recall correctly if not more to build up even a fraction of the same number of knight level force users as say Narutoverse shinobi that seem to graduate every couple of years.

out side of Sasuke and Neji of which both specialized in different aspects of being a ninja (Neji obviously specializing in Taijutsu because of his blood limit, Sasuke Specializing in Ninjutsu because of his, as well as prior training at home with his brother and dad) were the only 2 real out standing cadets in the academy. Everyone else was kind of generalist as well but were still average or below (Rock Lee being only barely average in Taijutsu in his academy days with no talent for Genjutsu or Ninjutsu, and Naruto who couldn't graduate because he couldn't perform a proper bushin.)

My ultimate point is, that even the average ninja graduated from the academy at a roughly grade school level. There are a few Genin's that are Genin for life, are in their teens having failed to pass the chuunin exams, but that's not exactly what im talking about. We have never seen an adult just graduating from academy or even a teenager. So the basics of Ninjutsu, Genjutsu are essentially obtainable within a very short time in comparison to say Jedi cadets graduating the academy and going to to train with a master as a padwan, or however FMA works as I never watched it. Someone here mentioned it took a student at Hogwarts 7 years to graduate, considering how old Harry was when he started their that is a lot of time before one seems to be able to call themselves a educated wizard.

Hazard
05-13-2014, 06:59 AM
The average person from the academy doesn't graduate. In spite of the academy giving them a a minimum time of 3 years worth of ninja training.

2/3 fail the final test. Those are the normal ones. Who then have to go back and try again.

Now out of the ninja, most never get to jounin. There are genin like Manabu Akado who are still in their twenties. Most of the genin in the chuunin exam were all at least teenagers, and in spite of being selected out of villages with thousands of ninja the number of ninja who qualified for the exams was like 200-something.

The bulk of the ninja is probably made up of genin. Talented guys go on to become chunin.

The really, really talented one make it to jounin.

Don't get me wrong the average genin is still a ringer-sih to bullet timing guy with slight meta human strength and speed and that's totally awesome, but it's not really a system where most people can succeed.

big_adventure
05-13-2014, 07:36 AM
The one where the average person can transmute things, teleport, hide themselves completely from non-magical people, levitate heavy objets, brew potions that do all kinds of incredible stuff, fix things, control minds, alter thoughts/memories, stun, paralyze, do work with their magic, etc., seems by far the most useful in daily life. Hungry? Pour some soup out of your wand. Late for work? Teleport there. Need to talk to someone a long way away and have a dead cell battery? Send a silvery spirit animal to them. Need to move a piano? Wingardium Leviosa. Break your TV because you are mad at a referee decision during a big match/game? Wave the wand and fix that sucka before the wife knows. Angry at the two hour line waiting for the underwater tai chi practitioners at the DMV? A little Imperious goes a long way towards getting called first and getting expedited service. Want a first-class upgrade when flying to Vegas for a stripper- and coke- laden weekend? No problem. Teleport right past the security line while you are at it.

It would be far from the best in a fight, but for everyday living?

Daenarys Stormborn
05-13-2014, 08:27 AM
Wouldn't the average ninja be a genin from konaho or a chunin from any other village beside cloud? Most of those have superhuman level basic stats, decent throwing accuracy, maybe one basic element ninjutsu or technique, henge/ kawamari, and extremely basic genjutsu defense ( not even use but defense!). I think genjutsu basic use is more a solid chunin+ skill. It might still fall without average though.

The limits of henge have never really been explored, but you could probably pass for any human being on earth with henge. Mastering any ninjutsu or genjutsu to even a jounin level would probably take 10+ years if you started in high school and have decent talent. Still, you probably wouldn't be up to the level of kurenai or shi, which are both arguably well beyond average, at least in genjutsu.

From what little I know of Potter, which isn't much, I would probably chose it. Alchemy is outright too hard and can result in horrible accidents far too easily.

Cleric of Hell's Brigade
05-13-2014, 08:49 AM
Harry Potter magic is probably the most abuseable, all told.

big_adventure
05-13-2014, 08:58 AM
Harry Potter magic is probably the most abuseable, all told.

Can you make up words in pseudo-latin? You can? Well my friend, have I got a deal for you - with this twig, you can do ANYTHING as long as you can make up a pseudo-latin phrase for it. Congratulations!

The New Black
05-13-2014, 02:32 PM
The Force for me. I'd be content to subtly make life considerably easier with Jedi mind tricks and telekinesis. Now that I think about it though, is Force Lightning being attributed to average Force users?

Jmacq1
05-13-2014, 02:40 PM
The Force for me. I'd be content to subtly make life considerably easier with Jedi mind tricks and telekinesis. Now that I think about it though, is Force Lightning being attributed to average Force users?

If you go by the now non-canon EU....yeah probably so on the Force Lightning. Witches of Dathomir were fond of it but tended to get trounced by Sith Lords in power levels.

Then again...are we talking "Average Power Level" for a Jedi, or "average power level" for a force-user in general?

Because if it's the latter...then your power level's going way down. Just like the Ninjitsu examples above: A lot of kids never make it to "Padawan" stage and end up being minor force-users working elsewhere in the Republic. Then again that's just as often due to mindset as it is to power levels (EU-wise, even Obi-Wan was almost a "washout" from the Jedi Temple).

Surtur
05-13-2014, 03:19 PM
This

In addition making magic items could change this world for the better. A lot of scarcity issues could be taken of with enough time and research.

Is making magic items even something any random HP wizard is capable of doing?

BitVyper
05-13-2014, 03:46 PM
Even Rock Lee only became a factor because Gai decided to make him a personal project and, in addition to training him to completely insane degrees even by the standards of a village run by trained martial artist assassin-soldiers that started training from early childhood, he was a genius at opening the Gates (which was considered an insane and apparently practically abusive thing to do by the guy who became Chuunin at 6).

It was a level of training that a talentless child was capable of doing, so should be well within the bounds of "normal" for the purposes of this thread. And I don't recall Lee ever being noted as a genius with the gates, which I wouldn't bring up except he is very notably not a genius. At any rate, he's still pretty ridiculous even without the gates at his point in the series. For that matter, there's also Shikamaru, who is mainly a tactical genius with no particular innate super power, and he still has a lot of really good tricks outside of the basic Naruto ninja-fare.

Guy Smiley
05-13-2014, 04:41 PM

I assumed yes, (well, not any random wizard, but that it wasn't something restricted to particularly exceptional wizards. If Arthur Weasley can make a flying car, so too could we, I expect.) but that we, as residents in the modern world, didn't have access to the unicorn phlegm and phoenix entrails required for making anything. It's the main reason I didn't pick Potterverse magic. Otherwise I'd be brewing Felix potions all day, every day.

It was a level of training that a talentless child was capable of doing, so should be well within the bounds of "normal" for the purposes of this thread.

Eh, for the purposes of this thread, the pill only gives you Nin and Gen jutsu. No Tai, no 'average ninja' stats. Nobody's emulating Rock Lee here.

Shikamaru's more open to interpretation. Theoretically his jutsu could be used by virtually any ninja. In-universe, however, it's a clan secret technique. I erred on the side of "average ninja don't get to use sexret techniques", but I can totally see it as being interpreted "any technique an average ninja could use if they had a scroll teaching them how".

Snake-eyes
05-13-2014, 06:28 PM
Didn't Kakashi make a comment that Rock Lee might really be a genius as it shouldn't be possible for someone of his age to be able to open 5 gates?

Awesome-X
05-13-2014, 06:43 PM
The Force. Remember, the prequels make it fairly obvious that it includes a fair amount of Telemechanics, even untrained, which means even as an 'average' Force-user, (who are at least capable of making a Lightsaber out of spare parts, albeit with a special crystal I can't get) I can probably go all Iron Man on the modern world, patent my stuff, and sit on my duff in Cancun while the cash continually rolls in. The Jedi Mind trick, precog, and some minor telekinesis are gravy.

HP magic is actually my number two go-to. Since the pills don't come with a wand, I'm assuming there's a workaround. Not to mention, AFAIK, Harry's about average in the setting. I'll never be a Dumbledore or Voldemort, but things like Imperius, Crucius, Sectumsempra, Fiendfyre, Apparation, and a number of other things random students and teachers do seem well within my reach, given enough study. But things like Potions? Useless without the ingredients, and there has to be some reason they can't just transmute things into said ingredients. Floo? What's in Floo powder, and is there any way I can make it? Broomsticks? What goes into enchanting those things? A lot of the stuff the wizarding world takes for granted might be based on material components I just can't get.

Naruto-style ninjitsu is number three. The Academy Three jutsu are very nice, I must admit, as is water/tree walking. Presumably, with a lot of practice I could pull off moves like Sasuke's fireball, or some minor genjutsu. But a lot of ninja in the series are above-average, using clan/family secret jutsu I won't assume I can get, (so no ShikaInoCho goodness...) summoning contracts which I assume I won't get, or bloodlines, which I definitely won't get. I suppose I could try learning fuunjutsu, but jeez, that stuff's supposed to be a lot harder to pick up than HP magic.

And then there's FMA alchemy. Average alchemists have to draw a giant circle before they can do anything, know an awful lot about what they want to create, and there's still all the other rules and drawbacks that you have to worry about. I've only seen the old anime series, so I dunno how accurate my expectations are, but I certainly would like to avoid summoning homonculi.
Actually, you don't really need to use a specific crystal in a Lightsaber. Virtually any type of crystal will do, although the better the crystal the better the blade.

I forgot to mention the HP Magic pill comes with a standard wand.

Hazard
05-13-2014, 06:46 PM
Didn't Kakashi make a comment that Rock Lee might really be a genius as it shouldn't be possible for someone of his age to be able to open 5 gates?

Yeah, yeah he did.

Lee was also the only one who could complete the initial Lotus out of his team. Kakashi makes it a point of saying "Screw hard work, the kid's a genius."

That said, Lee trains like hell.

Seriously. He abandoned everything else in favor of hand to hand.

Sasuke and Naruto, both guys who train pretty hard themselves (Naruto's training involves stuff like a 10 km run), are "Did you see his fists? Guy trains hard."

Captain Morgan
05-13-2014, 07:20 PM
Even if Lee did get where he is with no talent or outside factors... He strikes me as a silly example to hold up because it isn't like any of us have the drive to work as hard as he did.

Snake-eyes
05-13-2014, 09:42 PM
I don't think we can call anyone that passed the 2nd stage of the exam(Forest of Death) average, because the exams started with at least 44 teams and IIRC only 7 teams passed the FOD stage.

Surtur
05-14-2014, 11:13 AM
I assumed yes, (well, not any random wizard, but that it wasn't something restricted to particularly exceptional wizards. If Arthur Weasley can make a flying car, so too could we, I expect.) but that we, as residents in the modern world, didn't have access to the unicorn phlegm and phoenix entrails required for making anything. It's the main reason I didn't pick Potterverse magic. Otherwise I'd be brewing Felix potions all day, every day.

Well I wasn't aware Arthur made the car, I figured he just bought the flying car and tweaked it, but if he made it then he truly is an idiot savant. Can make flying cars, but totally clueless about muggles(which wouldn't be a big deal if that wasn't specifically his job).

Siriel
05-14-2014, 11:42 AM
Even with all that I'm about to say, HP magic is easily the best pick for every day life.

alter thoughts/memories

Apparently doing that properly is pretty hard.

Hungry? Pour some soup out of your wand.

One of the arbitrary rules is that you can't create food. (Though you can conjure it, so I guess this is only semantics.)

Can you make up words in pseudo-latin? You can? Well my friend, have I got a deal for you - with this twig, you can do ANYTHING as long as you can make up a pseudo-latin phrase for it. Congratulations!

This is not a thing the average wizard can do.

Depends. Making a portkey seems really simple, but actually learning how to do it might be a lot harder than just doing it for all we know. Still, there's no sign that creating one is particularly difficult in-series (just illegal).

Things like the Wesley twins' magic items that could be used repeatedly were considered to be remarkable work even by some of the strongest wizards, so apparently not everyone can do that.

Otherwise I'd be brewing Felix potions all day, every day.

There was a specific reason why they didn't do that, actually. Repeated use screws you up.

Omegastorm
05-14-2014, 03:18 PM
The naruto world easily. I love the Jedi's but unless you are talking during the old republic they can't really compare to the ninjas.

o

Surtur
05-14-2014, 03:44 PM
The naruto world easily. I love the Jedi's but unless you are talking during the old republic they can't really compare to the ninjas.

o

Say what? Star Wars universe has all kinds of advanced tech. Naruto universe is kind of shitty IMO. It's boring, what is there to do besides fight? No tv, no internet, no video games, just..ninja shit and Ramen eating. Granted, I don't exactly think the SWU has tv or any of that, but it has a bunch of planets, etc. to visit, and all that tech.

The Drunkard Kid
05-14-2014, 03:46 PM
Yeah, yeah he did.

Lee was also the only one who could complete the initial Lotus out of his team. Kakashi makes it a point of saying "Screw hard work, the kid's a genius."

That said, Lee trains like hell.

Seriously. He abandoned everything else in favor of hand to hand.

Sasuke and Naruto, both guys who train pretty hard themselves (Naruto's training involves stuff like a 10 km run), are "Did you see his fists? Guy trains hard."

Even if Lee did get where he is with no talent or outside factors... He strikes me as a silly example to hold up because it isn't like any of us have the drive to work as hard as he did.
Basically. A normal nin might be able to match Rock Lee's general performance, if they're willing to train to levels that even revenge-obsessed child soldiers and the professional assassin-soliders that trained them consider insane, and Rock Lee is completely missing the cool non-taijutsu abilities that would help make day to day life so much better so we can't really use him as a bar to figure out how good talentless people could get with Ninjutsu/Genjutsu/Fuinjutsu if they just abandoned their life to perfect them.

I don't think we can call anyone that passed the 2nd stage of the exam(Forest of Death) average, because the exams started with at least 44 teams and IIRC only 7 teams passed the FOD stage.

Chuunin are commanders who are given squads of gennin for mission. By definition, there would have to be a lot more gennin than chuunin, especially since the promotion exam involves weathering psychological torture and then has practical sections that have a high risk of fatality. And jounin are basically the super-special forces, so definitely not normal levels.

The Drunkard Kid
05-14-2014, 03:55 PM
Say what? Star Wars universe has all kinds of advanced tech. Naruto universe is kind of shitty IMO. It's boring, what is there to do besides fight? No tv, no internet, no video games, just..ninja shit and Ramen eating. Granted, I don't exactly think the SWU has tv or any of that, but it has a bunch of planets, etc. to visit, and all that tech.

They technically have some sort of radio technology, and in the movie timelines at least, they have blockbuster movies at least.

Daenarys Stormborn
05-14-2014, 05:12 PM
Naruto ninja skills are good if you want to play any professional sports, or make money as some kind of physical entertainer. You could, for example, in probably every single olympic event and quickly have more promoting/ commercial gigs tan you'd ever want. And this would more than likely stand for even someone who was the worst of the worst ninjas... A non academy graduate could pull that off...

Guy Smiley
05-14-2014, 07:14 PM
Naruto ninja skills are good if you want to play any professional sports, or make money as some kind of physical entertainer. You could, for example, in probably every single olympic event and quickly have more promoting/ commercial gigs tan you'd ever want. And this would more than likely stand for even someone who was the worst of the worst ninjas... A non academy graduate could pull that off...

I admit, using illusions on the enemy team or setting them on fire is a pretty hilarious way to win a soccer match or an olympic track meet, but I suspect they'd get you disqualified. I suppose you could genjutsu the judge/referee as well and make off with the trophy/medal.

Because yeah, the average Naruto Ninja has enough physical training to do crazy shit, but according to the OP...

-Green Pill: Gives you the ability to perform Naruto style Ninjutsu & Genjutsu.
-3: Your potential in all four [Guy Smiley note: referring to the pills] would be considered "Normal" by the standards of that universe.

...the pills give you 'normal potential' for ninjitsu/genjutsu only. You won't become an Olympian, no matter how much you train like a crazy shonen protagonist. You will get elemental attacks and illusions.