PDA

View Full Version : Science Fiction Station - Hard, Soft, New, Weird, whatever

Jim Purcell
04-30-2014, 04:01 PM
So one of the bigger loses of the forum wipe was the Sci-Fi recommendation thread that had been recently created. I thought it was a pretty good resource in general, so lets bring it back. I'll try to compile them in the OP as we go.

Hard Science Fiction
PLUTO (VIZ)
PLANETES (TokyoPop, Out of Print)
ORBITER (DC)
THINK TANK (Image/Top Cow)
THE FUSE (Image)

Soft Science Fiction
OCEAN (DC)
SHOCKROCKETS (IDW)
JUDGE DREDD (2000AD)
KINGDOM (2000AD)
KING CITY (Image)
CHEW (Image)
ROGUE TROOPER (2000AD)
STRONTIUM DOG (2000AD)
THE BALLAD OF HALO JONES (2000AD)
THE WINTERMEN (DC)
D4VE
NIKOLIA DANTE (2000AD)
NEXUS
FEDERAL BUREAU OF PHYSICS (DC)
AMERICAN FLAGG!

Weird Science Fiction
THE MANHATTAN PROJECTS (Image)
SAGA (Image)
FINDER (Dark Horse)
SHAKARA (2000AD)
BLACK SCIENCE (Image)
THE INCAL (Humanoids)
THE METABARONS (Humanoids)
The Airtight Garage
ABC WARRIORS (2000AD)
GRIMJACK
CALIBAN (Avatar)

Arzach
PROPHET (Image)
MULTIPLE WARHEADS (Image)

Cyberpunk
Old City Blues
ELEPHANTMEN (Image)

Steampunk

Post Apocalyptic
WASTELAND
SWEET TOOTH (DC)
THE LAST AMERICAN
GRENDEL

Grilled Cheese Samurai
04-30-2014, 04:06 PM
Black Science just came out with issue 6 today, ending the first arc. Pretty freaking awesome. Weird Science Fiction category?

palmtreeze
04-30-2014, 04:22 PM
I won't qualify category of sci-fi, because that's something I time and again fail at. I will throw out my recs though, take em or leave em, but they're all stuff I swear by:

The Incal
The Metabarons
The Airtight Garage
Arzak
Beautiful Death
Old City Blues (okay i THINK that one could safely fit in cyberpunk, but I'm scrub with cyberpunk so whadda I know?)
Prophet
King City
Multiple Warheads (comedy sci fi and sex sci fi need more lovin')
Chew
Wonton Soup
The Last American
Judge Dredd (i mean, i could single out specific arcs if that helped)
Strontium Dog
Rogue Trooper
ABC Warriors
Bad Company
Garth Ennis and Gary Erskine's Dan Dare
Collection of Alan Moore's Future Shocks
DR and Quinch
The Ballad of Halo Jones
The Winter Men (that nebulous "is it cape? is it sci fi? is it the Russian Sopranos?" territory)
D4VE
Snowpiercer

I dunno, this is far from comprehensive. Just what I can see on my shelf and pick from my brain at the moment.

FanboyStranger
04-30-2014, 04:49 PM
I think we need to add:

Starstruck (adventure/strong female voice)
Grendel (satire/post-apocalyptic)
American Flagg! (satire)
Grimjack (science fiction/fantasy/pulp)
Nexus (superhero/politics)
Nikolai Dante (adventure/satire)
Federal Bureau of Physics (soft sci-fi/workplace dramedy/action)

palmtreeze
04-30-2014, 04:57 PM
I think we need to add:
American Flagg! (satire)

Can't believe I forgot American Flagg! Excellent stuff, really on the zeitgeist of comics for it's time and still holds up so strongly today. Got a big stack of issues at a con where I met Fraction, then me and him chatted for a bit about it and Chaykin. Great stuff.

Oh, I recently finished Jeff Lemire's Sweet Tooth too, and I think that's some real neat-o post-apoc sci-fi.

EFGuffey
04-30-2014, 06:19 PM
Garth Ennis's new book for Avatar, Caliban is looking really promising for SF/Horror, and the same could be said for Rover Red Charlie.

Frank_Yonder
04-30-2014, 07:20 PM
Garth Ennis's new book for Avatar, Caliban is looking really promising for SF/Horror, and the same could be said for Rover Red Charlie.

Really loving the latter and looking forward to the former.

May be pushing it, but I thought Joe Casey's Wildcats 3.0 was sci-fi. One of the main storylines was an android trying to change the world for the better while concealing his identity. Promoting the use of 'alternative' fuel sources. One of my biggest comic regrets was never getting to see how that story finished up.

Also Elephantmen?

FanboyStranger
04-30-2014, 08:50 PM
Can't believe I forgot American Flagg! Excellent stuff, really on the zeitgeist of comics for it's time and still holds up so strongly today. Got a big stack of issues at a con where I met Fraction, then me and him chatted for a bit about it and Chaykin. Great stuff.

Oh, I recently finished Jeff Lemire's Sweet Tooth too, and I think that's some real neat-o post-apoc sci-fi.

The first 14 issues of American Flagg! are my favorite comics run of all time. Everything fits into place so perfectly. It got lost in the shuffle because it was out-of-print for so long, but it was probably the most influencial comic in shifting the tenor of the industry in the '80s. I'm not sure we get things like Watchmen or DKR if AF! hadn't been so successful. AF! convinced a lot of the brass at DC that mature, sophisticated titles could actually sell.

Sweet Tooth is a great choice. It's post-apocalytpic, but it has such humanism to it. I think reading it may actually make you a better person.

FanboyStranger
04-30-2014, 08:51 PM
Also Elephantmen?

I can't believe I didn't think of Elephantmen. Such a great series. Hip Flask, too, with that ridiculously gorgeous Ladronn art.

FanboyStranger
04-30-2014, 08:52 PM
May be pushing it, but I thought Joe Casey's Wildcats 3.0 was sci-fi. One of the main storylines was an android trying to change the world for the better while concealing his identity. Promoting the use of 'alternative' fuel sources. One of my biggest comic regrets was never getting to see how that story finished up.

They put out a tpb with the remaining uncollected issues a few years ago.

gearsofcrabs
04-30-2014, 09:39 PM
I know Fear Agent is Sci-Fi, but I haven't read it yet to know what it'd be classified as. Would Mass Effect count, or not so much since it's based on a game?

Blastermaster
05-01-2014, 01:15 AM
I'd add to the list:

Technopriests by Jodorowsky and Janjetov

Orbital by Sylvain Runberg and Serge Pellé

Hero
05-01-2014, 02:25 AM
Would Ignition City fit into a dieselpunk category? I liked that mini.

Just finished Orbiter and Ocean (big Ellis fan) and love them both. Preference to Orbiter...

nepenthes
05-01-2014, 03:20 AM
Great OP Jim - thanks

I cant say enough good things about PROPHET (http://comicsalliance.com/prophet-22-preview-brandon-graham-simon-roy/).

What an amazing book

http://meathaus.com/wp-content/uploads/prophet-cover-farel.jpg

http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4ho3vaTJD1qj97xmo1_1280.jpg

Dark-Flux
05-01-2014, 04:37 AM
Id through in:

Lazarus
Magnus: Robot Fighter
X-O Manowar

palmtreeze
05-01-2014, 06:12 AM
You'd think a dystopian future comic from the creators of The Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen would be more widely known and sought after than it is. But for some reason...

Anyways, The Life and Times of Martha Washington by Frank Miller and Dave Gibbons. It's biting, intricate, invigorating.

255 256