PDA

View Full Version : Favorite quotations

Zetsubou
05-13-2014, 02:02 AM
what are your favorite quotations?

Here is one of mine.

"Life arises from death. In order for the wheat to bud, the seed must first die". -- Gandhi

King Of All Nerds
05-13-2014, 03:32 AM
"Go ahead, make my day." Or "That's not a knife, THIS is a knife." Haha

Mormel
05-13-2014, 03:46 AM
"Italy has been made; now we only have to make the Italians". Attributed to Massimo d'Azeglio, Italian politician around the time the country was unified in the mid-19th century.

So applicable to many, many states that have been formed before and since.

WestPhillyPunisher
05-13-2014, 03:52 AM
I've always been partial to this Irish proverb:

"Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

Michael P
05-13-2014, 05:44 AM
"I hate quotation. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Billy Batson
05-13-2014, 05:56 AM
http://media1.giphy.com/media/X3DQ0d9QJVEpa/giphy.gif

yet another
05-13-2014, 06:00 AM
I can't decide.

https://www.google.com/search?q=best+quote

Stefan
05-13-2014, 06:14 AM
"The end is important in all things."

Manchuto
05-13-2014, 07:02 AM
"You don't get any medal for trying something, you get medals for results". - Bill Parcells

Hazard
05-13-2014, 07:05 AM
I don't suppose there is a way to put the entirety of The Importance of Being Earnest here?

I love that thing. It's so funny.

Michael P
05-13-2014, 07:11 AM
I don't suppose there is a way to put the entirety of The Importance of Being Earnest here?

I love that thing. It's so funny.

"The only thing to do with a girl is make love to her if she's pretty, and to someone else if she's plain."

SuperCooper
05-13-2014, 07:13 AM
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Dirk Gently, from The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams

Brave Sir Robin
05-13-2014, 09:39 AM
"Truth never triumphs—its opponents just die out," said Max Planck, "science advances one funeral at a time."

eye of all
05-13-2014, 09:44 AM
“Life's single lesson: that there is more accident to it than a man can ever admit to in a lifetime and stay sane.” - Thomas Pynchon

Enigmatic Undead
05-13-2014, 10:42 AM
the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!".

― Jack Kerouac, On the Road

Zetsubou
05-13-2014, 11:24 AM
"The night cannot get darker until at midnight" -- Burmese proverb

Professor Moriarty
05-13-2014, 05:55 PM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k4/greyshirt2/Cool%20stuff/17jzx5lacpogkjpg_zps35de2384.jpg

T51R
05-13-2014, 07:09 PM
"This man does not give two shit flying f**k. Two shit flying f**k is looking for this man, and he is nowhere to be found..." ~Maximbady.

"The consequence of man in motion is the occasional collision." ~Carrol Smith

"F**k all your mothers, pass away!" ~Ltherael

"Repent in the afterlife." ~Geonitz/Saiga Ricky-Oh

"Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing!" ~Kimi Raikkonen

"It's normal." ~Kimi Raikkonen

"Don't let the speedometer intimidate you..." ~Black Tone, Legend of Speed II

"Faster and faster, until the need for speed outweighs the fear of death..." ~Anon

"If you have complete control over the damned thing, you're not going fast enough." ~Carroll Smith, referring to the racing car.

:D

King Of All Nerds
05-13-2014, 09:51 PM
"If it's all the same to you, I'll drive that tanker." ~Max Rockatanski

SteveGus
05-13-2014, 10:01 PM
Alexa: There's a quote in which I find the courage to face the unknown. "As a rock on the seashore he standeth firm, and the dashing of the waves disturbeth him not. In the instant..."

Persephone: [stabs Alexa in the back] Yes, I know the quote well. It had aided me much in recent days. Shall I finish it? "In the instant of danger, the courage of his heart sustaineth him and the steadiness of his mind beareth him out."

= Wonder Woman (2009 video)

I felt despair. The wordís overused and banalified now, despair, but itís a serious word, and Iím using it seriously. For me it denotes a simple admixture ó a weird yearning for death combined with a crushing sense of my own smallness and futility that presents as a fear of death. Itís maybe close to what people call dread or angst. But itís not these things, quite. Itís more like wanting to die in order to escape the unbearable feeling of becoming aware that Iím small and weak and selfish and going without any doubt at all to die. Itís wanting to jump overboard.

- David Foster Wallace, on board a luxury cruise ship.

"It's so stark, so real," he said.

"It's like a poem. this menu alone condemns our society. To feed somebody this kind of food who is already effectively dead represents all the incongruity of the whole damn thing. It's senseless."

I looked down at the menu lying there on the table and for dinner Tuesday the men on Death Row were having

Spaghetti Soup
Beet and Onion Salad
Vinaigrette Dressing
Roast Leg of Pork
Brown Sauce
Ground Round Steak
Mashed Potatoes
Cream Style Corn
etc.

And this to become senseless?

How could beet and onion salad condemn our society? I always thought we were a little stronger than that. Was it possible for this menu to be a menace to California if it fell into the wrong hands?

--Richard Brautigan, "The Menu", from The Tokyo-Montana Express

Paradox
05-13-2014, 10:01 PM
"Do what thy manhood bids thee do,
From none but self expect applause;
He noblest lives and noblest dies
Who makes and keeps his self-made laws."

- Sir Richard Francis Burton

SteveGus
05-13-2014, 10:10 PM
"Before the beginning, there was this turtle. And the turtle was alone. And he looked around, and he saw his neighbor, which was his mother. And he lay down on top of his neighbor, and behold! she bore him in tears an oak tree, which grew all day and then fell over -- like a bridge. And lo! underneath the bridge there came a catfish. And he was very big. And he was walking. And he was the biggest he had seen. And so were the fiery balls of this fish, one of which is the sun, and the other, they called the moon."

- The Firesign Theatre, I Think We're All Bozos On This Bus

As our life is very short, so it is very miserable; and therefore it is well that it is short. God, in pity to mankind, lest his burden should be insupportable and his nature an intolerable load, hath reduced our state of misery to an abbreviature; and the greater our misery is, the less while it is like to last; the sorrows of a man's spirit being like ponderous weights, which by the greatness of their burden make a swifter motion, and descend into the grave to rest and ease our wearied limbs; for then only we shall sleep quietly, when those fetters are knocked off, which not only bound our souls in prison, but also ate the flesh till the very bones opened the secret garments of their cartilages, discovering their nakedness and sorrow.

- Jeremy Taylor, Holy Living and Holy Dying

Young Streptomycin, take a thousand horse
And storm the gates of Sulphacetamide!
But who comes here? The currish Pentathol
Doth spur his steed across the grassy plain
With Formalin and mighty Dexamyl.
Beard’st thou me here, thou bold Barbiturate?
Sirrah, thy grandam’s dead – old Nembutal.
The spangled stars shall weep for Nembutal,
As Jove himself did cry for Chlorophyll.
She’ll serve thy turn, and that of Ephedrine.
Is it not passing brave to be a king,
Aureomycin and Formaldehyde,
Is it not passing brave to be a king,
And ride in triumph through Amphetamine?

- Kenneth Tynan

dupersuper
05-13-2014, 10:46 PM
I have like 30 or 40 pages worth here...

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/13281189-mike

Cotton
05-13-2014, 11:20 PM
"I'm a lone wandering samurai who kills and pillages for a living, why the f*** would I care what you think?"

-Cotton

Dispenser Of Truth
05-14-2014, 08:55 AM
"Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."--Patton (1970)

bert
05-14-2014, 12:08 PM
From Oscar Wilde (a "hero" of mine, and many of these are personal mottos):

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”

“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”

“Yes: I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.”

“Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.”

“If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.”

from Unknown:
"we are all of us Superman, but some of us have yet to find our phone booth to change in"

and, of course, the JW Kramer quote I have in my sig.

Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon
05-14-2014, 12:13 PM
"Never stop fighting until the fight is done."
Elliot ness in the 80s the untouchables movie

Puppetmaker Grae
05-14-2014, 12:27 PM
Roper:*So now you'd give the Devil benefit of law!
More:*Yes. What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?
Roper:*I'd cut down every law in England to do that!
More:*Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country's planted thick with laws from coast to coast — man's laws, not God's — and if you cut them down — and you're just the man to do it — d'you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake.

- Robert Bolt. A Man for All Seasons

Professor Moriarty
05-14-2014, 01:07 PM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k4/greyshirt2/Cool%20stuff/83665014_zps2baa71de.jpg

Manchuto
05-14-2014, 01:25 PM
“Women fake orgasms and men fake finances.”― Suze Orman

Cometman
05-14-2014, 05:41 PM
A couple of my favorites,

Dance as if no one were watching, sing as if no one were listening and, live every day as if it were your last.

I believe in the ethical imperative of fighting evil no matter how hopeless that fight may be.

dupersuper
05-14-2014, 05:44 PM
from Unknown:
"we are all of us Superman, but some of us have yet to find our phone booth to change in"

The first time I read such a quote was the Fanboy mini series.

Jodoc
05-14-2014, 06:07 PM
Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage amongst his books. For to you Kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned by the flicking of a finger.

Professor Moriarty
05-14-2014, 10:50 PM
http://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/166932/83665005.jpg

Manchuto
05-15-2014, 07:01 AM
“ Getting along with others is the essence of getting ahead, success being linked with cooperation. ”

— William Feather

05-21-2014, 11:12 AM
"The bears are who we thought they were and we let them off the hook."
Dennis green former head coach of the Arizona cardinals.

Cotton
05-21-2014, 08:58 PM
"Conan what's best in life?"

"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the Lamentations of the women!"

-Conan the barbarian

teej
05-21-2014, 09:11 PM
"I have a masters degree in raising hell!" - Harley Brown

It's a new quote but I swear it's going to catch on.

The MunchKING
05-21-2014, 09:12 PM
If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

The MunchKING
05-21-2014, 09:14 PM
"Violence is like Duct tape, if it's not solving all your problems, you're not using enough of it."

--- The MunchKING

Fenris
05-22-2014, 10:43 AM
I am inclined toward the long view. The life of people on earth is obviously better now than it has ever beenócertainly much better than it was 500 years ago when people beat each other with cats. This may sound silly but now and then when I read old fairy tales and see an illustration of a hunchbacked hag with no teeth and bumps on her nose who lives by herself in the forest, I think: People looked like that once. They lived like that. There were no doctors, no phones, and people lived in the dark in a hole in a tree. It was terrible. Itís much better now.

But we are not happier. I believe we are just cleaner, more attractive sad people than we used to be.

- Peggy Noonan

ű
Of course, some people are happier than others!

Fenris
05-22-2014, 10:46 AM
"Afterwards, you rue the fact that you've been so kind."

- Adolph Hitler, shortly before the fall of Berlin, reflecting on his failures.

ű
He had a bad case of Stalin Envy!

Arfguy
05-22-2014, 09:20 PM
"What we do in life, echoes in eternity"
-Maximus from "Gladiator"

Mikekerr3
05-22-2014, 11:09 PM
Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage amongst his books. For to you Kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned by the flicking of a finger.

A Dickson Quote yet, You must be OLD:p

How about these from my three favorite authors

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity"

"Shared sorrow is lessened, shared joy is increased”

“Shared pain is lessened.Shared joy is increased. Thus do we refute entropy”

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

"Who steals my purse steals trash; 'tis something, nothing;
'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands;
But he that filches from me my good name
Robs me of that which not enriches him,
And makes me poor indeed."

“If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.”

“Just as there are laws of Conservation of Matter and Energy, so there are in fact Laws of Conservation of Pain and Joy. Neither can ever be created or destroyed. But one can be converted into the other.”

Enigmatic Undead
05-23-2014, 07:18 AM
Just living ain't the same as being free

― Frank Black

Zetsubou
05-23-2014, 08:38 AM
"Life at its best is bittersweet" -- Jack Kirby

DubipR
05-23-2014, 08:52 AM
"The law will never make men free; it is men who have got to make the law free."- Henry David Thoreau

Zetsubou
05-23-2014, 09:04 AM
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." -- Voltaire

Mormel
05-23-2014, 09:06 AM
"Life at its best is bittersweet" -- Jack Kirby

Kirby said that? That's something I can get behind.

Jodoc
05-23-2014, 04:27 PM

A Dickson Quote yet, You must be OLD:p

I didn't attribute it cause I've seen it called a Gordon Dickson quote, one from Rudyard Kipling, and an anonymous Chinese proverb.

“Shared pain is lessened.Shared joy is increased. Thus do we refute entropy”

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.”

Do love Spider Robinson.

NovaPrimeX
05-23-2014, 04:40 PM
"What I've learned is that a great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."

Cotton
05-24-2014, 06:06 AM
I don't suppose there is a way to put the entirety of The Importance of Being Earnest here?.

My favorite out of the Earnest series, with Earnest scared stupid being a close second.

Zetsubou
05-24-2014, 07:58 AM
Kirby said that? That's something I can get behind.

Actually, “life at best is bittersweet,” is originally uttered by Darkseid in Mr. Miracle #18, penned by Jack Kirby.

Now the quote is recited in both the TMNT comic issue "Kirby and the Warp Crystal" and a TMNT episode "The King" for the 2003 TV series.

Read More: Remembering That Time the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Met Jack Kirby
http://comicsalliance.com/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-meet-jack-kirby/

http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Kirby_and_the_Warp_Crystal

http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2011/07/donatello-microseries-1.html

Gary_B
05-24-2014, 01:18 PM
The sun, with all those planets revolving around it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else in the universe to do. - Galileo Galilei

zhris
05-24-2014, 05:09 PM
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb."
~Dark Helmut, Spaceballs

05-30-2014, 12:24 PM
"Impossible is nothing." Adidas
This doesn't mean there aren't things that are impossible but landing on the moon, cellphones, giants beating the pats twice these things happened because of courageous and belief in themselves.

It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.
The topnotch head coach of Green Bay packers Vince Lombardi.
This can be applied to football mainly, but also other sports and non sports.

Cotton
05-31-2014, 04:43 AM
Butterflies are random thoughts people have. They live, They die, They are pointless. - Jonathan Watson

Cotton
05-31-2014, 01:52 PM
Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, and everyone is going to die, come watch T.V. -Morty from Rick and Morty.

Which is basically a paraphrasing of Nietzsche.

Professor Moriarty
05-31-2014, 03:59 PM
http://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/166932/83664999.jpg

indigim25
06-04-2014, 07:28 PM
If you can't live the life you love, just love the life you live. :)

TroubleWithTrebles
06-04-2014, 07:53 PM
Every retort that Cassius Clay/M. Ali and H. Milk made to snotty ass journalists trying to cut their legs out ftom under them.

06-04-2014, 09:34 PM
"The difficult can be done immediately but the impossible just takes a little longer."
A old army saying that has gone through vast variations.

Zetsubou
06-05-2014, 10:04 PM
"L'…tat, c'est moi" ("I am the state") -- Louis XIV

Gary_B
06-06-2014, 10:02 PM
"L'…tat, c'est moi" ("I am the state") -- Louis XIV

"The state, it's me" is how I read that. And I think it sounds more expressive. :)

The MunchKING
06-07-2014, 04:24 AM
"The difficult can be done immediately but the impossible just takes a little longer."
A old army saying that has gone through vast variations.

My mom always liked that one.

06-10-2014, 01:28 PM
My mom always liked that one.

Used in 2002 Tennessee titans season hilights video.

"Gambling is playing with fire also don't bet more than you have or more than you can't afford to lose."
From me

" this looks like a job for superman."
Clark Kent in the very old superman cartoons, and vast other superman media.

"Oh yeah"
The trademark words or catchphrase after Kool aid man broke through a wall or something else or usually before the commercial ends.

Zetsubou
06-11-2014, 10:16 AM
"Sorrows are our best educator. Man can see further through his tears than a telescope."
-- Bruce Lee

06-30-2014, 09:36 PM
"If a movie is so damn awful that it has the trope of voodoo shark or creates it's own tropes because of how negative it is then it reaches incredible awfulness."
From Me

"What's up doc."
Bugs bunny in The movie Space Jam, Looney Tunes cartoons, and vast other Looney Tunes media.

"Scooby Dooby Doo."
Scooby Doo mostly used as a celebration of victory in Scooby Doo where are you, The Scooby Doo show, and vast other scooby doo movies, cartoons, and other Scooby Doo media.

07-20-2014, 07:02 PM
"If it's not broke don't fix it."

Enigmatic Undead
08-13-2014, 07:41 PM
Happiness does not depend on outward things, but on the way we see them.

- Leo Tolstoy

Surtur
08-13-2014, 08:12 PM
Mine is in my signature.

Kieran_Frost
08-13-2014, 11:39 PM
http://jackikellum.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/zsa_zsa_gabordiamondsquote.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-FmHZfNZG6Ik/ToO7ZYj25BI/AAAAAAAAEYc/cDzx_sX0b3c/s500/Pricilla.gif

awayne83
08-13-2014, 11:56 PM
"It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.." - rachel dawes

"It ain't about how hard you're hit, it is about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward..." - rocky balboa

Enigmatic Undead
08-26-2014, 03:02 AM
There is neither source nor end, for all things are in the Center of Time. As all the stars may be reflected in a round raindrop falling in the night: so too do all the stars reflect the raindrop. There is neither darkness nor death, for all things are, in the Light of the Moment, and their end and their beginning are one.

― Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness

Zetsubou
04-22-2015, 04:40 AM
"Lang Lebe unser heiliges Reich" (ďLong live our holy empireĒ) -- Erwin Rommel

bloodofthegods
04-22-2015, 09:28 AM
"When you drank the world was still out there, but for the moment it didn't have you by the throat." -- Charles Bukowski