PDA

View Full Version : Contest Of Champions!

roneers
12-19-2014, 06:23 AM
This thread is for all contest of Champions mobile gamers.

We discuss everything of this game here and every aspect of the game can be talked about.
Like, characters, versus, qeusts, etc.

Beware! Use spoiler tags where needed! Do not start about trading!

roneers
12-19-2014, 06:33 AM
Let's start it of myself, because I have a few questions.

1. Can you friend others? I would really like to.
2. Is it just me or does Ryno's heavy attack miss just about everytime?
3. Which character do you like most. (mine is Wolverine at the moment)

Spectacular Spider-Fan
12-19-2014, 06:33 PM
I just started playing today. I only have four characters: A 1-star Spider-Man (140), a 1-star Wolverine (103), a 1-star Gamora (95), and a 2-star Iron Man (119).

I do have some questions:
1. Deadpool is listed as an exclusive character. Does that mean I can only get him with real money? And can I only get Hawkeye from the Trickshot competition?
2. Is there any list of all characters in the game?
3. Can you get alternate costumes for your characters?

roneers
12-20-2014, 01:02 AM
I just started playing today. I only have four characters: A 1-star Spider-Man (140), a 1-star Wolverine (103), a 1-star Gamora (95), and a 2-star Iron Man (119).

I do have some questions:
1. Deadpool is listed as an exclusive character. Does that mean I can only get him with real money? And can I only get Hawkeye from the Trickshot competition?
2. Is there any list of all characters in the game?
3. Can you get alternate costumes for your characters?

Cool that you try it too!
Now for the anwsers...
1. At the moment he is. who knows, maybe in the future?
2. Haven't found a list yet, what I do is look in the daily event for the heroes. Those are all currently available.
(Only three mistique characters)
3. Not yet, but I sure hope I Will be able to get some sometimes.

Spectacular Spider-Fan
12-20-2014, 09:58 AM
There are a few things I don't like about the game.

The main thing is the chatting. It's primarily filled with people insulting each other or trying to get past the profanity fiter. There should at least be an option to turn this off.
It's possible to get a duplicate charater. This hasn't happened to me yet, but if/when it does, I will be very angry. This could either be solved by removing Champions you own from the crystals or by replacing them with another costume for that character.
The text that Kang and Collector say are extremely repetitive. There should be some variety to it. It would also be nice if the characters actually talked.
Finally, the character animations get really boring after a while. I wish there were some differences.

But that said, this game is really fun. I just got a 2-star Hawkeye from a crystal, which made me wonder: can the number of stars a hero has increase?

MaskedTraveler
12-20-2014, 10:09 AM
I played this game for a couple of days. I can answer some questions.

Hawkeye can be received from crystals. I have received him and a level 2 Hawkeye. This is not considered a duplicate for some reason...
I sold my level 1 Hawkeye and it gave me his class xp to use towards another. I used it on the Level 2 Hawkeye.
I also got a Level 1 Hulk, then another Level 1 Hulk from a crystal. It said it was a duplicate and it turned the hulk into his class XP. So I guess that is something.

Everything else has been answered.

So far I have:
Level 2 Gamora
Level 2 Hawkeye
Level 2 Iron Fist
Level 1 Spiderman
Level 1 Black Panther
Level 1 Hulk

I've been trying to get Storm.

For the stars, there is another XP thing that you can give them, but I think you can only add them at the end of a rank or something. I haven't quite figured that part out yet.

Spectacular Spider-Fan
12-20-2014, 03:39 PM
How does the Second Skin competition work? I want to try to get Rhino.

roneers
12-20-2014, 04:32 PM
Disregard this post.

roneers
12-20-2014, 04:40 PM
I played this game for a couple of days. I can answer some questions.

Hawkeye can be received from crystals. I have received him and a level 2 Hawkeye. This is not considered a duplicate for some reason...
I sold my level 1 Hawkeye and it gave me his class xp to use towards another. I used it on the Level 2 Hawkeye.
I also got a Level 1 Hulk, then another Level 1 Hulk from a crystal. It said it was a duplicate and it turned the hulk into his class XP. So I guess that is something.

Everything else has been answered.

So far I have:
Level 2 Gamora
Level 2 Hawkeye
Level 2 Iron Fist
Level 1 Spiderman
Level 1 Black Panther
Level 1 Hulk

I've been trying to get Storm.

For the stars, there is another XP thing that you can give them, but I think you can only add them at the end of a rank or something. I haven't quite figured that part out yet.

If your hero reaches Max lvl. You can Give him catalysts.
This resets his level (they keep the power) and gives them a better rank. A higher Max level Will be added too.
A 1 star hero learns a new power by ranking up once, two star by ranking up twice. (You got to SER Some third power animations. AWESOME!!)

For the second skin event. You just fight and try to win as much as possible. When you win, you gain points.
After a week all the points are counted and the top X Will get rhino. (Though I don't really like him. His hard attack misses. A LOT)

My heroes
2 star wolverine rank2 lvl 6
2 star cyclops rank 2 lvl 3
2 star hawkeye rank 2 lvl 3
2 star rhino rank 2 lvl 2 (in my team just Because I needed green, really)
2 star ronan the accuser rank 2 lvl 2
2 star black panther rank 1 lvl 1
2 star hulk rank 1 lvl 1
Two star thor rank 1 lvl 1
1 star gamora rank 1 lvl 5
1 star spiderman rank 1 lvl 6
1 star hulk rank 1 lvl 1

Never manager to get a three star character though, did have Gamora three times

Spectacular Spider-Fan
12-20-2014, 05:54 PM
Today I got three more champions: Hawkeye, Storm, and Black Panther.

And I found a list of all the champions here: http://www.playcontestofchampions.com/heroes-and-villains
Abomination, Black Bolt, Black Panther, Captain America, Colossus, Cyclops, Deadpool, Drax, Gamora, Hawkeye, Hulk, Iron Fist, Iron Man, Juggernaut, Punisher, Rhino, Ronan, Scarlet Witch, Spider-Man, Star-Lord, Storm, Thor, Vision, Winter Soldier, Wolverine, and five unknowns.
My guess is there's going to be 1 more Skilled, 2 more Mystic, and 2 more Tech so they're all balanced. Maybe Black Widow, Dr. Strange, Loki, Rocket Raccoon, and War Machine.

MaskedTraveler
12-21-2014, 07:20 AM
2 of the 5 Heroes to be revealed will most likely be Doctor Strange and Agent Venom based on the loading screen as you can find them.
---
So is the only way to get heroes is to buy crystals with units, daily crystals, and the 2 Star Hero Crystal?
---
All the heroes can be found in this image:
http://www.playcontestofchampions.com/assets/home/arenas/MCoC_NYCCPressKit_SS4-BoothShot-ceff0847c63a5b6be4be4d49477cb786.jpg
Which reveals that the final 5 heroes/villians are:
Magneto
Dr. Strange
Agent Venom
And the 2 right of The Collector.

Spectacular Spider-Fan
12-21-2014, 08:23 AM
2 of the 5 Heroes to be revealed will most likely be Doctor Strange and Agent Venom based on the loading screen as you can find them.
---
So is the only way to get heroes is to buy crystals with units, daily crystals, and the 2 Star Hero Crystal?
---
All the heroes can be found in this image:
http://www.playcontestofchampions.com/assets/home/arenas/MCoC_NYCCPressKit_SS4-BoothShot-ceff0847c63a5b6be4be4d49477cb786.jpg
Which reveals that the final 5 heroes/villians are:
Magneto
Dr. Strange
Agent Venom
And the 2 right of The Collector.

One of the two is Magik, but I'm not sure about the other. Maybe Quicksilver?

Edit: Daredevil is also in the picture, but isn't playable.

MaskedTraveler
12-21-2014, 10:58 AM
Oh I didn't see him either. Then that might mean one of the 6 found might be an NPC like the Collector or something.

roneers
12-21-2014, 02:36 PM

Sadly enough, it is. But you forgot the versus crystal which is pretty sweet.

Spectacular Spider-Fan
12-22-2014, 05:00 AM
Well, I came in 16,991st place for the Second Skin competition. I didn't get Rhino, but a won a crystal giving me a 2-star Hulk.

MaskedTraveler
12-22-2014, 05:39 AM
I didn't place well, I got nothing.
But I got a 2-Star Iron Man from my daily crystal.

roneers
12-22-2014, 05:41 AM
Well, I came in 16,991st place for the Second Skin competition. I didn't get Rhino, but a won a crystal giving me a 2-star Hulk.

Congrats!

I got far enough in the trickshot event to win hawkeye!
My first 3 star!
ALSO won two crystals. 1. Duplicate 2. Abomination 2 star. Not too shabby either

MaskedTraveler
12-22-2014, 10:52 AM
Congratulation guys!
Hopefully I can get a Captain America... but I need a Mutant on my team to get on this Mutant specific path..

simbob4000
12-22-2014, 08:08 PM
So is the game as horrible as it looks?

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--wmeWrv97--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/fckrsjzs5lpmuupsphi4.gif

MaskedTraveler
12-22-2014, 08:37 PM
The game is not horrible at all. It is actually quite fun.

simbob4000
12-23-2014, 02:25 AM
The game is not horrible at all. It is actually quite fun.

Looks pretty terrible, everyone seems to have the same combo, there's no movement besides a back and forward dash, the characters all look stone faced and without any flourish of character, killing the novelty of being able to play as the Marvel characters. Looks like one of the most lazy fighting game I've ever seen. The little I've seen of it also makes the pay part of the game look horrible, although great for Marvel.

roneers
12-24-2014, 02:24 AM
Special event "holiday haul" is on!
And they are drowning you with boxes.
Really nice event! Don't Miss out

Therion
12-24-2014, 04:16 PM
Looks pretty terrible, everyone seems to have the same combo, there's no movement besides a back and forward dash, the characters all look stone faced and without any flourish of character, killing the novelty of being able to play as the Marvel characters. Looks like one of the most lazy fighting game I've ever seen. The little I've seen of it also makes the pay part of the game look horrible, although great for Marvel.

It's not a fighting game, is about collecting and upgrading your characters, it could be that to advance quest they threw a dice, but instead you can use a bit of skill to advance until eventually the stats are too much and you have to get better chars.

MaskedTraveler
12-26-2014, 10:50 AM
There's a new event for Hero Crystals! They are quite easy to get! I have already received 2 Crystals to use later!

simbob4000
12-26-2014, 03:48 PM
It's not a fighting game, is about collecting and upgrading your characters, it could be that to advance quest they threw a dice, but instead you can use a bit of skill to advance until eventually the stats are too much and you have to get better chars.

It is a fighting game. You do that stuff because it's a free-to-play game they want you to spend money in...although unlocking characters and even upgrading them isn't anything new to fighting games.

MaskedTraveler
12-26-2014, 04:56 PM
I have also found that this game is has a little bit a strategy in the fightings. I have found one and it has become useful, although I still lose everyone once in a while.

MaskedTraveler
12-27-2014, 06:48 AM
I ranked in on the crystal event and received a crystal which got me a 2 Star Abomination.
From the same event, I got 4 other crystals that got me:
2 Star Winter Soldier
2 Star Spiderman
Duplicate
Duplicate

Yet I still have no mutants.. I need a mutant!

Sub-Zero MKA
01-11-2015, 10:07 AM
This game is a fun time waster, but there are some things that annoy me about it. The repetitive fighting style gets old after a while. The odds of getting a Punisher from the Arena and Battle Chip crystal drops are astronomical, plus the roulette is predetermined instead of based on your timing. Also, the PvP isn't true PvP, but AI based on player stats, which means that even though you have a team of, say, 400 in a tournament, you will still end up fighting a teams rated 800+ and higher the longer your streak is.

Other than that, I'm shocked that there isn't a single member of the Fantastic Four in this game.

Starleafgirl
01-29-2015, 09:42 PM

I assume this guy is long gone by now, but I just want to say...

You'll see in the bottom right corner that it says "Pre-Alpha Actual Gameplay Footage" -- That's VERY early footage, there have been countless improvements to the game since then. There's been alpha-testing, then beta-testing, then release, then post-release patching.

Try playing something before you call it horrible.

Everyone's got special moves now that are unique to them, for one thing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5thPewfv10

I ranked in on the crystal event and received a crystal which got me a 2 Star Abomination.
From the same event, I got 4 other crystals that got me:
2 Star Winter Soldier
2 Star Spiderman
Duplicate
Duplicate

Yet I still have no mutants.. I need a mutant!

I got Wolverine pretty early on, but he's a 1-star. Then I finally got myself a 2-star mutant... but it's Cyclops. XD

I need more mutants. ;P

I recently started playing this game and I've found it to be fun.

I've got a question, though:

Is there any way to get a 3-star Storm or 4-star Storm other than the recent Arena contests that I totally missed? ^_^;;

Other than that, I'm shocked that there isn't a single member of the Fantastic Four in this game.

I agree that it's a fun time-waster and there are definitely some flaws (the repetitiveness, for one) that will probably lead me to dropping the game eventually, but I just have to say...

Given the way Marvel's been treating the Fantastic Four recently, are you really surprised? ;D

simbob4000
01-31-2015, 07:30 PM
I assume this guy is long gone by now, but I just want to say...

You'll see in the bottom right corner that it says "Pre-Alpha Actual Gameplay Footage" -- That's VERY early footage, there have been countless improvements to the game since then. There's been alpha-testing, then beta-testing, then release, then post-release patching.

Try playing something before you call it horrible.

Everyone's got special moves now that are unique to them, for one thing...

I've played it, it sucks. It fact everything I said before seems to hold true, to the point I'm not even sure why you tried calling me out for it. The game has the depth of a Test Your Might Mortal Kombat mini game, it's completely mindless, without even a modicum of challenge. You barely even have to actively be paying attention to what's going. This game very well may be one of the least interesting styles of game I've ever played. Just playing it for a little bit I can already think of ways the game could have been improved, how special attacks could have been implement (beyond the one super move)...hell, they could have given every character their own set of unique combos if you just had to pay attention to screen tap timing. The game needs something more to set characters apart from one another, as it is the different characters feel like little more then different skins. And while you are play the game the characters do seem to be completely without character.

The characters need to rest also seems to be something that's in the way of the "fun" of the game. It feels like one of the worst ways to get people to buy stuff, by that I mean one of the more gross ways...I'm sure it works great for get small kids and fanboys to spend money. I've heard you also need to be online to play it, which is also something that sucks; I think about the few times I even play games on something like an iPad, and it's almost always in places I don't have internet access. I can see people being sucked into this time sink with all the different little things you have to get. The game does seems like a somewhat clever way of separating Marvel fans from their money without the need for things like fun and gameplay; can't help but think how much better it would be at doing that if it was good. Although it's homogeneous feel across all character might also help. It reminds me in the old MvC3 thread there was someone that liked Storm, but they weren't good with the characters at all; that's not a problem anyone could have in this game.

As it is it just makes me wonder why they made a fighting game. They could have done some X-Com style turn-based tactics game where you're fielding your own custom Avengers team while building a base, they could even keep all the same money making tactics this game already uses. A Marvel endless running game would have been more interesting than this game, at least in those you've got to pay attention.

Starleafgirl
01-31-2015, 07:49 PM
I've played it, it sucks. It fact everything I said before seems to hold true, to the point I'm not even sure why you tried calling me out for it....hell, they could have given every character their own set of unique combos if you just had to pay attention to screen tap timing. The game needs something more to set characters apart from one another, as it is the different characters feel like little more then different skins. And while you are play the game the characters do seem to be completely without character.

Oh wow, you came back! Lol. I didn't try to call you out on it. I did call you out on it (even if I wasn't really expecting you to still be paying attention to this topic). I'm glad you at least tried it, instead of just posting pre-Alpha footage as the basis of your argument.

There's more than one super-move, they gain more as you Rank up your hero or get higher Stars heroes. However, it's incredibly difficult to get any 3-star or 4-star heroes, to the point where you'd be a fool (or just very rich...) to even try to spend real money getting them from the "random chance" items.

That leads to a problem later in the game that many people are coming up against, where it's difficult to proceed past a certain point because it just gets too hard for 2-star heroes and you really need to start getting higher ranks or 3-star and 4-star heroes just to proceed in Quest at all. I haven't hit that wall yet, but I'm considering quitting the game just because of the repetitiveness of Quest mode so far (I have to grind certain levels over and over again to get items to proceed in Quest mode).

I've played it and I've liked it without spending real money. It's fun for quick brawls and leveling up heroes and such. But if you don't like to be online to play your games (or can't due to a bad connection, etc.), there's really no defending an online-only mobile game.

X-Com style turn-based tactics game while building your own base sounds like what another developer tried to do with Marvel Avengers Alliance Tactics... that game failed within a month or two of release. Not because it wasn't fun, though, it was... they just stopped releasing content, stopped correcting bugs, and ran the game into the ground. Apparently it wasn't generating enough revenue for them.

simbob4000
01-31-2015, 11:02 PM
Oh wow, you came back! Lol. I didn't try to call you out on it. I did call you out on it (even if I wasn't really expecting you to still be paying attention to this topic). I'm glad you at least tried it, instead of just posting pre-Alpha footage as the basis of your argument.

There's more than one super-move, they gain more as you Rank up your hero or get higher Stars heroes. However, it's incredibly difficult to get any 3-star or 4-star heroes, to the point where you'd be a fool (or just very rich...) to even try to spend real money getting them from the "random chance" items.

That leads to a problem later in the game that many people are coming up against, where it's difficult to proceed past a certain point because it just gets too hard for 2-star heroes and you really need to start getting higher ranks or 3-star and 4-star heroes just to proceed in Quest at all. I haven't hit that wall yet, but I'm considering quitting the game just because of the repetitiveness of Quest mode so far (I have to grind certain levels over and over again to get items to proceed in Quest mode).

I've played it and I've liked it without spending real money. It's fun for quick brawls and leveling up heroes and such. But if you don't like to be online to play your games (or can't due to a bad connection, etc.), there's really no defending an online-only mobile game.

X-Com style turn-based tactics game while building your own base sounds like what another developer tried to do with Marvel Avengers Alliance Tactics... that game failed within a month or two of release. Not because it wasn't fun, though, it was... they just stopped releasing content, stopped correcting bugs, and ran the game into the ground. Apparently it wasn't generating enough revenue for them.

I said you tried because everything I said before was right. Everyone does have the same combo. There is no movement besides dashing back and forward. The characters are all lstone faced and without any flourish of character. It is one of the most lazy fighting game I've ever seen. And paid stuff does look horrible. The stuff I said about the game clearly wasn't all based on the gif I posted before, given it shows nothing of the paid part of the game. Although the actual gameplay hasn't changed at all since, everyone still plays the same way outside of the one super move.

It's hard to call this game fun, you just mindlessly tap the screen. Gameplay wise this game is nothing.