PDA

View Full Version : Most powerful, influential and/or resourceful terrorist organization in fictional history?

T-1000
05-13-2014, 11:11 PM
Pretty much what the thread title says. Which terrorist organization in all of comics/games/movies/etc is the power powerful, the most influential and/or resourceful of them all?

Note: For the sake of resources, we do *not* consider the use of freelance assets (special assassins and the like who don't normally work for that organization but whose loyalty and services could be purchased. Only true believers of the cause need apply.)

Jonathan
05-13-2014, 11:19 PM
Depending on how you define terrorists organizations, Umbrella from the Resident Evil movies. While they may not fit some of the classic definitions of the term they are a non-state entity that used force and violence(in addition to deceit) to secure there interests, which eventually made them the most powerful organization on the planet(though admittingly, the took a nightmarishly horrific situation for the whole planet to happen).

T51R
05-14-2014, 03:28 AM
+1 it depends on the definition of "terrorist." Without that, we can't really make a start here.

Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh
05-14-2014, 09:07 AM
I'm sure one can safely say that the Umbrella Corporation falls into the category of "accidental terrorists".

Blackid
05-14-2014, 09:19 AM
I know it's crazy with how the Joes seem to beat them but I gotta admit Cobra is a very powerful, very influential, and VERY RESOURCEFUL group... every episode they come up with the most amazing weapons (power and resources), they trap dignitaries and big named political leaders (powerful and influential) and even collaborate with other groups thru manipulation or disguising themselves as partners before trying to take over... I give it to Cobra hands down.

COBRA MOTTO: GO BIG OR GO HOME!

Arundel Armor Hunter
05-14-2014, 09:44 AM
Star Cabal from SWTOR.

T-1000
05-14-2014, 11:17 AM
For the sake of defining 'terrorist organization', rather than overthink this, we will just go with 'evil organization.'

To be fair, they have to be an actual, lasting organization. Group uniforms, a united front, a common goal, an actual organization. I do *not* count that one time a bunch of super villains got together for five minutes to fight a bunch of super heroes.

That having been said, I would give a special nod to the Millennium Organization from Hellsing. Their army of vampires makes them a pretty formidable force to contend with.

The Drunkard Kid
05-14-2014, 04:09 PM
Red Ribbon was pretty powerful, and actually a terrorist army (I was going to nominate Frieza's/Cold's empire, but they're not as powerful as the Androids, and aren't really terrorists as much as an interstellar genocide-based business).

Even before #16 through Cell, they had some decent tech like capsule jets/subs, a rudimentary global scanning device, robots and monsters capable of giving post-Roshi's Training Kid Goku a bit of trouble, #8, a Super Gun capable of moderately hurting that same Kid Goku, the objectively very impressive Commander Blue, and finally a mecha that was able to make Kid Goku post-Korin's training feel its strikes and was armed with powerful energy beams and a missile that can flat out destroy the top half of a mountain.

master of read
05-14-2014, 04:14 PM
section 31 from star trek. been working within the federation since its founding and doing shit like creating a virus to kill off the founders through odo.

zhris
05-14-2014, 07:27 PM
As far as Powerful, I'd say the Crime Syndicate, they had pretty much total control of all of Earth-3.
As far as resourceful and influential, I'd say COBRA. Soooo many cool toys...

Guy Smiley
05-14-2014, 07:38 PM
For some reason, I misread the OP and thought the group actually had to succeed at their goals. That put me in mind of the Tennōzu Group from Speed Grapher, whose goal was to utterly destroy the Japanese economy, and managed to do so despite the main protagonist exploding their legion of super-powered assassins. Resource-wise they're not beating any of the major groups on this list, though.

Basara
05-15-2014, 01:39 AM
Gatchaman's Galactor organization was scary powerful. They build mechs that were weapons of mass destruction, several of whom could level whole cities in seconds. Also, their mechs could withstand the fire power of all of Earth's armies with contemptuous ease.

In addition to this, they also possess a number of assassins and their leader, Berg Katse, infiltrated almost every country's most secure military and political installations easily to cause tremendous amounts of mischief.

Galactor was kind of like a melding of Cobra and Rita Repulsa's merry gang of freaks.