PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Age 3: Inquisition

Hiromi
04-30-2014, 06:08 PM
Release Date Oct 7th
Cover Art (http://www.nerdacy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/dragon-age-inquisition-cover-art.jpg)

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/08/06/september-2013-dragon-age-inquisition-6119.aspx
> BioWare listened to feedback on previous games
> “A lot of the decisions we’re making are about Dragon Age and what this generation of RPGs will look like.”

Story

> Game begins as Thedas is in chaos
> Chantry and the mages are at war
> The Seekers of the Truth and Templars are no longer tied to Chantry rule
> Ferelden continues to recover from the darkspwan Blight that ended 10 years ago
> Orlais is involved with a civil war
> Tear in the sky links the real world to the Fade
> Magic and demons come from Fade
> Rip allows demons to cross freely instead of using a mage host
> Demons/abominations are running free all over
> With everything going on, “there is a suspicious level of chaos in anticipation of this event”
> Reinstitute the Inquisition
> This is an organization that doesn’t answer to any outside power
> Inquisition puts aside politics and extracts answers
> “…about looking into what conspiracies happen, what kind of dastardly deeds could occur, when people are weak and naturally torn apart”

Inquisitor

> Your hero acts as the head of the Inquisition
> Lead the organization rather than controlling a foot soldier
> You’re left as the only survivor early on, which leads to this ascension
> Create and guide the Inquisitor however you please
> 3 classes: warrior, rogue, and mage
> At least 3 races: human, elf, dwarf(Qunari later confirmed)
> No pre-set name
> Fully voiced
> Can be male/female
> Events take place as you perform them, not being relayed by another character
> Will need to overcome resistance, but this becomes easier as the Inquisition gains more power/respect
> Inquisition’s reputation/strength go up as you finish objectives, gain items, help others

World

> Inquisition has a long reach
> Visit multiple large locations
> Several different regions
> Structural style like Dragon Age: Origins
> Access key story beats by reaching certain levels of power
> Explore to achieve that power
> Collect magical relics, solve mysteries, fight dragons, help others
> Don’t need to do everything
> Different resources to acquire better equipment and continue the story
> Won’t always be able to move from one area to another seamlessly
> “each of the areas we’re building is larger than anything we’ve built before”
> No repetitive environments
> Areas include a bog, desert, mountain range, can be explored freely in third-person
> Can take on unique quests by coming across things like an arcane device that lets you pinpoint the location of magic items
> Locations are like self-contained open worlds
> Each has a bunch of items to find and content to experience during day and night
> Game will have a mount system
> This will be more involved than just riding a horse around
> Very little is scaled to your level
> Can encounter monsters that are much more powerful than you
> Freedom is big, but BioWare has a story to tell
> Areas will change based on what time it is
> Weather impacts exploration
> Rain can make a bog muddy, making travel slower
> Still has classic enemies including ogres, elves, qunari

Frostbite

> Huge areas are made possible due to the move to Frostbite
> “We’re very happy with what we can do with the technology.”
> Will have some destructibility, game has a bigger focus on building
> Having a mage allows you to reassemble a crumbled footbridge to reach a new area
> Convert a ruined desert outpost into an Inquisition stronghold
> “If you destroy something, you can construct something.”
> Frostbite 3 allows the team to develop more easily on five platforms at once
> Better visuals on PS4/Xbox One than PS3/360
> Content being kept the same
> “Frostbite 3 is intended to bridge the gap between current-gen and next-gen”

PC

> Will be optimized for the platform
> “The PC actually is different, especially from a controls standpoint.”
> Caters to mouse and keyboard, unlike its predecessor’s tradition

Battles

> Will encounter lots of resistance
> Battle pace lies between Dragon Age 1/2
> Not always a pause-and-play affair, but not always filled with tons of action
> Directly control a character and you’ll notice control similarities to Dragon Age II
> Switch between all characters in your party at will
> Choose AI behaviors for allies if you’d like
> Commands are performed right away with a button push
> BioWare looking to make things less frantic and more deliberate
> Slowing down the speed of attacks while also creating enemies that force players to examine the battlefield
> “We’ve got that mesh of action and RPG.”
> Enemies have specialized roles that work together
> Better AI for enemies
> Enemies seem to make planned attacks based on their strengths and work together logically
> Players have a number of skill trees, specializations, abilities
> Classes have their own powers with tactical significance
> Party members can work together

Friends/foes

> Dialogue/story sequences are the best way to learn about your allies and their abilities
> This can also be done to a lesser extent in battle
> Vivienne: Inquisitor mage who was in line to hold the position of first encharter in the Circle of Orlais
> She wasn’t able to take the osition due to the Orlesian civil war
> Writers analyze the story’s main themes and conflicts, then create certain characters around them
> Not all characters are created so that you’ll like them
> Other allies and their loyalties are currently unknown
> Learn early on that there’s someone behind the demon breach and resulting chaos
> Won’t learn who you’re dealing with early on
> Cassandra and Varric from Dragon Age II are playable party members
> Morrigan won’t be a party member
> Morrigan’s role seems to be more than just a cameo

Choices

> Will need to make choices as problems develop
> Not always about dark choices
> BioWare is looking for players to think about potential consequences and deal with them if they happen
> Dialogue wheel similar to that of Dragon age II lets you make choices
> Some improvements
> Optional addition being added to the wheel for more clarity
> Choices have an impact throughout the world
> “Loose ends are a constant problem… We have a responsibility to resolve at least some of them if we’re going to introduce new ones…”
> Choices involve themes, mysteries from previous Dragon Age games
> Game will offer clarity on things such as Red Lyrium, Grey Wardens’ activities, Flemeth, Morrigan’s fate
> BioWare working on the issue of bringing over previous choices in Inquisition
> “It’s very important to people, and it’s very important to us. We don’t want people to feel like they can’t buy a new console or change the platform they’re buying this game on simply because they want to make sure their saves are maintained.”

Crafting system

> Use materials from around the world and enemies you defeat to make customized armor
> “Crafting in Inquisition is about customizing yourself, your character, your looks…”
> You can, technically, eventually create any colored version of the armor your start out with on par with what you find late in the game
> Characters will keep their look, but the armor will have huge influence on how they look

Somewhat newer
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/25/bioware-on-dragon-age-inquisitions-return-to-epic-scope-dragon-age-2-forced-our-hand/
basically more evidence pointing to Bioware at least admitting some of the core flaws with DA2 and a desire to fix it..

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/25/dragon-age-inquisition-update-details-branching-character-classes/
some subclass information, it looks like we'll see the return of the Arcane Warrior and they're actually bringing back traps except attempting to make them useful this time

http://www.pcgamer.com/uk/2014/04/22/dragon-age-inquisition-interview-on-fan-feedback-romance-returning-characters-and-the-open-world/
interview for PCgamer

gameplay video from earlier in the dev cycle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8xJMWRI-cA

new Gameplay Trailer(mayhaps we leave the drama over this particular video on the old board?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aK0z8xeAus

Article breaking it down
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/04/22/breaking-down-the-latest-dragon-age-inquisition-trailer.aspx

A shot of the full party, Varic is obviously returning, from what I've read it's been confirmed that the hooded sister is in fact Leliana, so she's also returning to companion status, and the Templar pictured is Cullen.
http://www.nerdacy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/dragon-age-inquisition1.jpg

Jabare
04-30-2014, 08:13 PM
so I'm about midway through Dragon Age 2 as a rogue archer and loving it.

Really torn about what class I should go for in Dragon Age 3. I almost want to know what companions I will get first. I just tend to chose the companinos I like instead of balancing my party.

Once Bethany got taken by the Chantry I was running 3 rogues (Hawke, Isabella, Varric) and a warrior (Aveline) and let me tell you makes some of the fights a little tough. I have to swap Anders for some quests because now and than you need a mage.

So just really torn right now. I want to go rogue but I kind of want Varric in my party. I could go mage but I kind of want Vivienne in my party because she looks cool.

I don't really want to go warrior (use to be my default choice for these type of games) because they were just so boring to play in DA 2.

Also the male inquisitor's default armor is really ugly can't play with that. oh boy Decisions, Decisions.

heystacy
05-01-2014, 04:30 PM
I'm exited to play DA:I when it comes out in October. My first play through is going to be a human mage. Next play through will be a rogue. Not sure what race I will choose for that, but likely not human, to get a different experience.

Daemon
05-02-2014, 09:47 PM
I remember reading/hearing about something called the castle or something like that, that they would allow you to upload your story from DA:O and DA2 to to "customize" your DA3 story.

I don't remember what the name of this feature/function was called so I haven't really been able to find out much about it.

Any help?

Hiromi
05-02-2014, 10:56 PM
You're thinking of the Dragonage Keep
http://blog.bioware.com/2013/08/28/the-dragon-age-keep/

which I believe is currently in Beta

Carabas
05-03-2014, 01:25 AM

That does sound incredibly cool.

Daemon
05-03-2014, 06:36 AM

Yup that was indeed it.

*adds to bookmarks*

thanks!

tsaimelemoni
05-04-2014, 12:23 PM
Just preordered the game! Love this franchise

Hiromi
07-12-2014, 05:32 PM
So we now know pretty much the entire party, and it's a large one

Cole, lost Fade spirit likely similar to Justice, rogue
Blackwall, Grey Warden, warrior
Dorian, Tevinter Mage, ...err mage
Leliana, returning cast member
Cullen, 3 game veteran, first time as a party member, templar warrior
Vivienne, Mage from Orlais
Cassandra, Warrior
Sera, City Elf archer rogue
Solas, city elf apostate mage
Varric, is Varric, what more need be said?
The Iron Bull, Qunari spy, warrior

Morrigan is Morrigan
Josephine is an Antivan diplomat

don't believe those two are party members, just advisors

two E3 videos showing a combined 30 minutes of gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdXvFEEBZeo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCGJACVoMPI

Michael P
08-15-2014, 08:23 AM
So I just spent an hour or so on the DA wiki reading up on the various details released over the last month or so, and man, am I pumped. I know that developer promises don't always translate to what you imagined, but I'm thinking if they can pull this off, it'll be something damn special.

Hiromi
08-15-2014, 02:34 PM
New Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHeWOQvVRd8

Just a warning there's a MAJOR potential spoiler at the 1 min 36 seconds mark
Hawke and what can only be the friggin Warden both confirmed!!!

Carabas
08-15-2014, 02:35 PM
I guess I won't be watching it then...

Creepy looking freak though.

simbob4000
08-20-2014, 01:18 PM
I can't wrap my head around this games terrible mishmash of styles. It's got (bad) cartoony designs with realistic textures, weird cartoon character portraits, and bright neon green heath bars that clash with the look of the actual good. Nothing about the visual style of this game seems to make any sense at all.

Michael P
08-22-2014, 06:34 AM
It looks no different from the visual style of the previous two games to me. Maybe it's just not your bag?

simbob4000
08-22-2014, 09:17 AM
It looks no different from the visual style of the previous two games to me. Maybe it's just not your bag?

It looks very different. The last two game also look different from each other too. The last game has a cartoonish look to it, but that game didn't have realistic textures; I would also say the last one didn't have as bad design. Although I should say the bad cartoony design in this game only seems to really be there for stuff like armor and weapons. The hub elements also fit better into the game in before, you didn't have bright neon green health bars in Dragon Age 2. The character portraits next to the life bars also looked like your characters in the game; in this game they don't, now they're a cartoony style that doesn't quite look like anything in the game, and looks nothing at all like your character.

Carabas
08-22-2014, 03:23 PM
It looks very different. The last two game also look different from each other too. The last game has a cartoonish look to it, but that game didn't have realistic textures
There was a largeish stylistic change between DA Origins and DA 2. This however is in the same style as DA 2. Did you actually play DA 2 or just complain about it?

Although I should say the bad cartoony design in this game only seems to really be there for stuff like armor and weapons.
Just like last time you mean?

The hub elements also fit better into the game in before, you didn't have bright neon green health bars in Dragon Age 2.
Fine, they were bright red and yellow and blue last time.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/Gugenheimer/Webdings/2_zpse3dbe528.jpg

The character portraits next to the life bars also looked like your characters in the game; in this game they don't, now they're a cartoony style that doesn't quite look like anything in the game, and looks nothing at all like your character. What on earth are you talking about?

simbob4000
08-24-2014, 01:32 AM
There was a largeish stylistic change between DA Origins and DA 2. This however is in the same style as DA 2. Did you actually play DA 2 or just complain about it?

I played Dragon Age 2, the whole terrible game. It doesn't look like this game at all. DA2 doesn't have anything that could be confused for realistic textures, and the design of costumes wasn't half as stupid.

Just like last time you mean?

Costume design wasn't as shit in 2 as in Inquisition, and the whole thing looked cartoonish.

Fine, they were bright red and yellow and blue last time.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/Gugenheimer/Webdings/2_zpse3dbe528.jpg

Those colors aren't bright at all, and they fit into the overall aesthetic of the game. On the other hand, bright neon green as a hub element doesn't fit into the look of Inquisition of all, it's weirdly distracting.

What on earth are you talking about?

Look at the character portraits right next to the health in the picture you just posted, and then go look at what they look like in this game. In Dragon Age 2 the character portraits are in the same style as the characters in the game. In Inquisition they look nothing like the characters in the game, they look like something someone would post on their tumbler.

I can't believe I'm using Dragon Age 2 as a good example of anything.

Carabas
08-24-2014, 04:34 AM
[various stuff]
I find all of that incredibly subjective.

Look at the character portraits right next to the health in the picture you just posted, and then go look at what they look like in this game. In Dragon Age 2 the character portraits are in the same style as the characters in the game. In Inquisition they look nothing like the characters in the game, they look like something someone would post on their tumbler.
Honestly, I'm not seeing it. They look completely recogniseable.

I can't believe I'm using Dragon Age 2 as a good example of anything.
Well, it was a fairly great game, let down by a rushed production and fans who were expecting an altogether different kind of story and were unable to adjust.

simbob4000
08-24-2014, 12:15 PM
I find all of that incredibly subjective.

I don't know what you're talking about. But here's some non-subjective things:

- I did play all of DA2
- It is terrible
- The textures weren't realistic in DA2, that whole game has a stylized look to it
- The designs are worse in this new game. Just look at that character with the big stupid hat.

Two has dumb stuff as well, they've taken it further in his game, and it looks weirder with the more realistic textures.

Honestly, I'm not seeing it. They look completely recogniseable.

I didn't say they weren't. I said they're in a totally different art style than the actual characters in the game, (and the game itself) and that they look stupid together. The cartoon character portraits, the neon green life bars, and the look of the actual game itself all clash, it looks bad together.

Well, it was a fairly great game, let down by a rushed production and fans who were expecting an altogether different kind of story and were unable to adjust.

There's no reality in which Dragon Age 2 could even been considered good, calling it great is madness. That game being a different kind of story is not what's wrong it it...although that games story has lots of problems. But it trying to be small isn't bad.

Michael P
08-25-2014, 11:55 AM

I call it a good game that should have been a great game. If they'd given the developers enough time, it would have been.

simbob4000
08-25-2014, 08:55 PM
I call it a good game that should have been a great game. If they'd given the developers enough time, it would have been.

What's good about it? The story is completely aimless. The combat is a terrible version of an action game, and combat encounter are mindless for pretty much 99% of the game (they're still bad the other 1%, but I've got to at least move around in those). The character interaction is completely mindless; I've seen people blame it on the dialogue wheel, but it wasn't this bad in the first two Mass Effect games. They've removed the ability to equip armor to your team. There's like one cave, and one house layout in the game. All the boss battles are horrible, you can really see how bad the combat gameplay is in those fights...I think the Dragon fight in the quarry might very well be the most boring boss fight I've ever played in a game. The game is one city and it's such boring place; they're reusing so many thing over and over again, and it's just so boring and lifeless looking that it's shocking when it starts to dawn on you that Kirkwell is the place the whole game will take place. Stuff like character creation and classes also weren't as good as the first game either.

I can't really think of one aspect of Dragon Age 2 that comes out as good, and these bad things didn't come together to make something better than the sum of it's parts. It's one of the laziest games from a big developer and publisher I've ever seen.

Oh yeah, there's also some bugs that make finishing quest impossible.

Carabas
08-26-2014, 01:39 AM
What's good about it? The story is completely aimless.
I found it rather focused, actually. Especially on a second run when you know what the story is actually about.

The combat is a terrible version of an action game, and combat encounter are mindless for pretty much 99% of the game (they're still bad the other 1%, but I've got to at least move around in those).Meh... I thougt it was fun.

The character interaction is completely mindless...As opposed to the 'here, have a random present' from DA:O? I loved the character interaction. It's one of the best aspects of teh game.

They've removed the ability to equip armor to your team. So my characters didn't end up all looking more or less exactly alike wearing the exact same type of high-end armour? Fantastic. It's a stylistic choice I highly approve of.

There's like one cave, and one house layout in the game.A bit more than one, but fair enough. Didn't really bother me.

All the boss battles are horrible, you can really see how bad the combat gameplay is in those fights...Well, I kinda feel like that about every video game boss fight ever anyway.

The game is one city and it's such boring place...That's just you.

it's shocking when it starts to dawn on you that Kirkwell is the place the whole game will take place.
This is what I love about it. It's a smaller story chronicling one family in one city, and the fall of that city. Not everything needs to be a world-spanning mega-quest.

Stuff like character creation and classes also weren't as good as the first game either.Well, you couldn't play an elf or dwarf, I suppose...
Classes were much improved though as far as I'm concerned. A lot more balanced. Two-handed swords were actually a viable choice.

It's one of the laziest games from a big developer and publisher I've ever seen.Rushed isn't lazy.

Michael P
08-26-2014, 06:44 AM
Yeah, I didn't have a problem with the story or the combat. The only issue I had with party management was that there wasn't a place like the camp where you could manage everybody at once, but the strongholds in Inquisition should cover that. Character interaction and relationships were definitely improved (although it still followed the pattern of "show interest and the other party will reciprocate guaranteed", but that may be down to a limitation of the medium itself). The ability trees and customization were definitely better. I didn't mind not having to carry around so much armor at all, although I would have appreciated the ability to customize it visually. The crafting overhaul was a godsend; I got so sick of having to haul around the ingredients.

The repetitive environments were the biggest problem for me, but that was entirely down to production time.

Right now, I have confidence that they're working to fix the stuff I didn't like for this game. The only thing I'd add is that I hope they work in follow-up for as much of the minor characters and side quests as possible. It would drive home the theme that, while you can't change the course of history, you can affect the lives of individuals in meaningful ways.

Carabas
08-26-2014, 07:15 AM
The only real problem I have is that the ending of DA2 seemed a lot like set-up for the next game, which never happened. The whole mage civil war was dealt with in a novel and seems to be resolved in Inquisition. It's like there's a game missing between DA2 and DA:I.

Michael P
08-26-2014, 07:18 AM
I haven't read that novel, but I've gotten the impression that the civil war will still be ongoing in Inquisition. If nothing else, the Templars will still be out for blood.

Carabas
08-26-2014, 07:37 AM
I haven't read that novel, but I've gotten the impression that the civil war will still be ongoing in Inquisition. If nothing else, the Templars will still be out for blood.
I haven't read it either.It's on te to-do list.
The conflict is supposed to be largely over at the start of the game from what I get.
Very minor spoiler: The big cosmic Tear that kicks off the plot for Inquisition appears during a huge peace summit.

Vic Vega
08-26-2014, 07:56 AM

I'm 2/3rd thru DA2 and a 1/4 thru DA:Origins (I bought them in reverse order) and I honestly don't see what all the beefing is about.

I like the graphics and story better so far in DA2 than in Origins.

I don't miss not being able to play as a Dwarf or an Elf as it would have made no sense in the story that they were telling.

I also like that canon Hawke is a badass Mage. Mages tend to be dudes in robes. So
canon Hawke being a chainmail rocking asskicker is a refreshing change.

simbob4000
08-26-2014, 06:18 PM
I found it rather focused, actually. Especially on a second run when you know what the story is actually about.

But it's not. The story just jumps around to different things, and there are bits that go nowhere. There's no real through line to it, no overarching themes, it's just a series of random vignettes.

Meh... I thougt it was fun.

Whether or no you though it was fun, it's still horrible. They ended up making some crappy half-assed action RPG that feels like a bottom tier action game with sloppy controls. Does the combat feel a little better than the last game? A bit. Is it good in anyway? No. Is it actually worse than the last game? Somewhat what. And DAO had pretty bad combat. The combat in this game makes DmC look like DMC3. Since fighting is such a huge part of DA2, the actual combat mechanics being terrible is kind of a problem

No thought need to go into what you're doing in a fight either. Almost every fight is so easy you would have to go out of your way to die.

As opposed to the 'here, have a random present' from DA:O? I loved the character interaction. It's one of the best aspects of teh game.

No, I mean the real character interaction in the game, more like you don't have to think much about anything your saying in DA2. And you've got pretty much three choose to pick from: Nice, Jerk, and Snark.

So my characters didn't end up all looking more or less exactly alike wearing the exact same type of high-end armour? Fantastic. It's a stylistic choice I highly approve of.

All I'm seeing is you saying each class should have a greater variety of armor...but because something like that would take time Bioware just dropped it.

And you know Dragon Age 2 is meant to be an RPG? Having different equipment that changes your characters base stats is part of the genre.

A bit more than one, but fair enough. Didn't really bother me.

Whether or not it bother you, it's still objectively bad when a game does something like: Taking the whole cave layout with the same textures, and copies it for another cave with the only change be a rock is blocking a path, or they bent a path left instead of right.

Well, I kinda feel like that about every video game boss fight ever anyway.

But they all aren't. And the boss fights in DA2 are some of the worst around.

That's just you.

I think it's everyone with eyes. I'm not saying it boring because it's a small city; it's boring because it's a small city where they've copied and pasted everything in the city. And it's not even meant to be a small city, Kirkwall is meant to be this gigantic city, but you wouldn't know it by playing the game. That Dwarven City in the first game was a more interesting place than Kirkwall, and that's just one place in that game.

This is what I love about it. It's a smaller story chronicling one family in one city, and the fall of that city. Not everything needs to be a world-spanning mega-quest.

I said it's shocking because no effort went into making Kirkwall feel like an interesting place. It doesn't feel like a place you'll be spending all you time.

And the game isn't really a smaller story. You're still the grant poobah over everything, the end is some big dumb blowout, your still fighting dragons and ancient demons...it's just all localized in and around the mega city of chains Kirkwall.

Rushed isn't lazy.

The game is very lazy. I don't see how anyone could even look at it and think otherwise. BioWare seemingly thought they could put out something that seemed like a finished game in the amount of time they made DA2...they could not.

simbob4000
08-28-2014, 02:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1aQgQFijHg

tsaimelemoni
09-11-2014, 02:07 PM
Actually really looking forward to the multiplayer aspect. I pooh-poohed it in ME3, til I tried it and loved it.

Hiromi
09-11-2014, 07:17 PM
Footage from the Dragonage Keep beta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rNDZ0Ih3v0/

Michael P
10-10-2014, 12:42 PM
The PC requirements have been unveiled: http://www.dragonage.com/#!/en_US/news/pc-systems-requirements-revealed

Nyssane
11-05-2014, 09:22 AM
I'm finally playing through Dragon Age: Origins (after much pestering from my friend -- she's a HUGE fan of the series), and I gotta say... I can't wait for Inquisition. I'm almost done with Origins, will be moving on to 2 (I'll probably skip Awakening unless I can find it for cheap), and bam! Inquisition after that. So excited.

Michael P
11-05-2014, 10:37 AM
2 will be kind of a letdown after Origins, but all indications are that Inquisition is a return to form.

Awakening's cool, but the Keep will let you incorporate the important decisions from it into your save file if you want to.

Hiromi
11-05-2014, 01:54 PM
I'm of the mind that 2s worth a play through atleast(in my experience the flaws didn't become especially glaring until subsequent playthroughs) but yeah you'll want to use the Keep I've been in the beta and it's a pretty good piece of software, better than the Mass effect interactive comic by far.

Sasuke Uchiha
11-07-2014, 09:45 AM
1 week till the inquisition.

simbob4000
11-09-2014, 01:25 AM
I'm of the mind that 2s worth a play through atleast(in my experience the flaws didn't become especially glaring until subsequent playthroughs) but yeah you'll want to use the Keep I've been in the beta and it's a pretty good piece of software, better than the Mass effect interactive comic by far.

You didn't notice stuff like the one cave until subsequent play throughs?

Arvandor
11-09-2014, 02:49 AM
2 will be kind of a letdown after Origins, but all indications are that Inquisition is a return to form.

Awakening's cool, but the Keep will let you incorporate the important decisions from it into your save file if you want to.

I played Dragon Age 2 first, and found Origins to be a bit of a let down. DA2 had far better characters, combat system and ability tree.

MarvelMaster616
11-09-2014, 06:45 AM
I've always seen Dragon Age as a less engaging form of Elder Scrolls. But since I've come close to finishing pretty much everything in Skyrim, I might give this a chance...at least until another Elder Scrolls game comes out. ;)

simbob4000
11-09-2014, 10:03 PM
I've always seen Dragon Age as a less engaging form of Elder Scrolls. But since I've come close to finishing pretty much everything in Skyrim, I might give this a chance...at least until another Elder Scrolls game comes out. ;)

But Dragon Age isn't anything at all like Elder Scrolls; especially by the point of Skyrim, when Elder Scrolls stopped being a RPG altogether.

LoneNecromancer
11-11-2014, 07:57 AM
I played Dragon Age 2 first, and found Origins to be a bit of a let down. DA2 had far better characters, combat system and ability tree.

I liked that DA2 for the quicker-paced combat and I actually liked the idea of telling a character's story over many years and seeing things change around him, but there's no doubt it was horribly let down, mostly thanks to the rushed development time. Spawning enemies that make placement in battle seem pointless, the sheer amount of reused environments, only really a few areas you could see in the city, not to mention that there was a lot of the player not really having much agency towards what happens in the game, which was because they were really just thinking about having the fewest different possibilities to affect the sequel.

I suppose I just appreciated what small parts they attempted to try and do differently, even if they did a whole lot wrong as well. I thought DAO was just a very generic fantasy RPG propped up by the name brand of Bioware, with basically the same storyline they used in ME2 later (big bad enemy tears your side to bits at the start, the rest of the game is you just going around gathering allies to go take them down, with potential shocking character death at the end). But there was some fun character bits and party banter, even if it took about five years to swing a two handed sword at someone.

DA3 looks better than both so far but I'm not sure how high praise that is.

Michael P
11-11-2014, 05:32 PM
Early reviews look very positive.

simbob4000
11-11-2014, 07:59 PM
Early reviews look very positive.

We'll have to see once that game actually comes out. Dragon Age 2 got obscenely good reviews, and that game was garbage.

Tenebrae
11-13-2014, 04:21 AM
I've been debating whether I would ever bother playing DA2 in preparation for this but simply to save me time I figure I'm gonna skip it and just head to Inquisition. I've been playing about with the Dragon keep thing which lets you make the choices you made in in the previous two games and will let you import the world you build into Inquisition so it's a very good compromise.

https://dragonagekeep.com

Nyssane
11-13-2014, 06:41 AM
I'm playing Dragon Age 2, and it's not as bad as I was led to believe. I'm on the third act which has slowed down significantly, and I find myself not as eager to play the game, but the first act in particular kept my interest piqued. The only major thing that bugs me is the recycling of maps.

Hiromi
11-16-2014, 07:56 AM
Most people can get about two real play throughs of DA2 before the flaws really start to get to make it difficult, how bad it is is largely exaggerated when compared to actual bad games, it mostly suffers from not being as good as a lot of people wanted it to be(which considered that it was rushed as Hell and was Bioware's third development banana with Mass Effect and SWTOR having the majority of the support at the time is understandable). But really DA2 is a dead horse at this point, you either like it or you don't, no use beating it with a stick anymore.

Anyway the game comes out in two days. Keep is now Live and seems to work even better than the Beta version did so Kudos.

simbob4000
11-17-2014, 07:59 AM
Most people can get about two real play throughs of DA2 before the flaws really start to get to make it difficult, how bad it is is largely exaggerated when compared to actual bad games, it mostly suffers from not being as good as a lot of people wanted it to be(which considered that it was rushed as Hell and was Bioware's third development banana with Mass Effect and SWTOR having the majority of the support at the time is understandable). But really DA2 is a dead horse at this point, you either like it or you don't, no use beating it with a stick anymore.

Anyway the game comes out in two days. Keep is now Live and seems to work even better than the Beta version did so Kudos.

DA2 is an actual bad game. It's one of the most lazy games put out by a major developer/publisher last gen, it looks terrible, customization is awful, the story was a disjointed mess that isn't even trying to do what they say it is, (it's not a little story, it's the same "epic" stuff as before, just all in one town) and the actual gameplay is just horrible. I'm having a hard time thinking of much I played on the 360 that was worse...and I played a lot of stuff.

I don't know, maybe it all depends on you're tolerance for crap, and what other RPGs, ARPGs, and action games you've played? If DA2 at least did something good then I could get people saying it's not that bad. But DA2 does nothing good, and does many things very badly.

Endless_Legend
11-17-2014, 02:05 PM
DA2 is an actual bad game. It's one of the most lazy games put out by a major developer/publisher last gen, it looks terrible, customization is awful, the story was a disjointed mess that isn't even trying to do what they say it is, (it's not a little story, it's the same "epic" stuff as before, just all in one town) and the actual gameplay is just horrible. I'm having a hard time thinking of much I played on the 360 that was worse...and I played a lot of stuff.

Have to voice a hard, 180 degree disagreement with you there, and I bet so do lots of other people.

Dragon Age 2 wasn't perfect, but it was really, really good. It had fast, fluid combat, a streamlined interface that was wonderful both on PC and 360, terrific voice acting and dialogue (much better than DAO's), fairly good graphics for it's day, and an interesting, and personal plot.

It *wasn't* the same epic stuff as before. Instead of being an overarching Lord-of-the-Rings style plot, it was more like a series of seperate but linked chapters in the life of the Hero of Kirkwall. It wasn't about the world, Darkspawn, evil, etc. It was just about you, your friends, and your enemies. The only connection to the larger world seems to be that it catalyzed the Blood Mage revolt that we see come to full force in "Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker"

The *only* major thing that was wrong with it was that it re-used settings way too much. I got tired of raiding the same warehouse/cave a zillion times. That was definitely annoying. But that's about it.

Everything you said leads me to believe that you didn't actually even play the game, because you aren't describing the game that resides on the Dragon Age 2 disk.

simbob4000
11-17-2014, 07:25 PM
Have to voice a hard, 180 degree disagreement with you there, and I bet so do lots of other people.

Dragon Age 2 wasn't perfect, but it was really, really good. It had fast, fluid combat, a streamlined interface that was wonderful both on PC and 360, terrific voice acting and dialogue (much better than DAO's), fairly good graphics for it's day, and an interesting, and personal plot.

It *wasn't* the same epic stuff as before. Instead of being an overarching Lord-of-the-Rings style plot, it was more like a series of seperate but linked chapters in the life of the Hero of Kirkwall. It wasn't about the world, Darkspawn, evil, etc. It was just about you, your friends, and your enemies. The only connection to the larger world seems to be that it catalyzed the Blood Mage revolt that we see come to full force in "Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker"

The *only* major thing that was wrong with it was that it re-used settings way too much. I got tired of raiding the same warehouse/cave a zillion times. That was definitely annoying. But that's about it.

Everything you said leads me to believe that you didn't actually even play the game, because you aren't describing the game that resides on the Dragon Age 2 disk.

The combat was awful in that game. Yeah it's more action oriented, but it wasn't exactly executed well. The graphics were not "fairly good" for the time, they were just better than the first game, and the first game was ugly

It was the same epic stuff, it's just all localized in Kirkwall. You're still the most import character in the town and then the world. You're still dealing with giant threats. You're still fighting gods and high dragons. And you still have to deal with both the Templars and Circles of Magi. That game really isn't about your friends and family...even if that what BioWare says to sell the BS reason why you're in one town the whole time. It would have actually been interesting if they had made the game they said it is.

I would say a bigger flaw was that the gameplay wasn't any good. It's pretty inexcusable that such a small place, with so little in way of design reused so many different things. But I could deal with it if the combat was good, the dialogue system hadn't been so dumbed down, and the choices and consequences felt like they even mattered

I played that whole game when it came out. It didn't seem too bad at first. But it's a long series of disappointments, the game just reveals itself to be worse and worse until it all collides into a crescendo of crap.

Endless_Legend
11-17-2014, 11:36 PM
I played that whole game when it came out.

*shrug* well, I've got the same evidence you do, but I say the opposite. It was an absolutely excellent game, with great combat, dialogue, characters, and setting. The re-used areas were the only major bad spot.

I've played the game through twice, as male and female hawke, love it both times. Sorry that you didn't, but that's no reason to go poisoning the well for other folks who have not played the game yet and are thinking about giving it a try.

You sound like somebody who's succumbed to the reddit-internet groupthink of hating every new release that comes out and being dissatisfied with every new release. You know what? It's ok to like things. Hating everything doesn't mean you have good taste or that you're more discerning. It just means you've forgotten how to have fun and enjoy games.

Nyssane
11-18-2014, 04:47 PM
Blah, I got Inquisition for 360 and... I just don't know if I can play it. The graphics are wonky as hell, characters vanish out of cutscenes, and lip syncing lags like nobody's business. I really should've just waited for Xbox One... :(

Also, the hairstyles are worse than any prior Dragon Age game. I don't know what they were thinking.

simbob4000
11-18-2014, 05:44 PM
*shrug* well, I've got the same evidence you do, but I say the opposite. It was an absolutely excellent game, with great combat, dialogue, characters, and setting. The re-used areas were the only major bad spot.

Well, I don't know what to tell you. Have you ever played a good RPG to compare DA2 with? Have you played other action games before?

I wish the reused areas were the only bad spot. I would have loved it if DA2 didn't become progressively worse as the game went along.

I've played the game through twice, as male and female hawke, love it both times. Sorry that you didn't, but that's no reason to go poisoning the well for other folks who have not played the game yet and are thinking about giving it a try.
The well was poisoned by BioWare, telling someone not to drink from it isn't bad.

You sound like somebody who's succumbed to the reddit-internet groupthink of hating every new release that comes out and being dissatisfied with every new release. You know what? It's ok to like things. Hating everything doesn't mean you have good taste or that you're more discerning. It just means you've forgotten how to have fun and enjoy games.

Reddit internet groupthink? That's pretty funny. You know, not liking DA2, which is one horrible video game, isn't "not liking everything". If it makes you feel better, the next year Dragon's Dogma came out, and that's the best hack and slash RPG I've ever played. Now that game, that game has a fantastic combat system. Your AI partners are also shockingly more useful then your group in DA2. You know, The Witcher 2 came out in 2011 too, and that game does what DA2 is trying to do...only it does it well. The combat isn't all that great in The Witcher 2, but it's still better than the combat in DA2. Two Worlds 2 was also better than DA2.

Endless_Legend
11-18-2014, 05:45 PM
Blah, I got Inquisition for 360 and... I just don't know if I can play it. The graphics are wonky as hell, characters vanish out of cutscenes, and lip syncing lags like nobody's business. I really should've just waited for Xbox One... :(

Also, the hairstyles are worse than any prior Dragon Age game. I don't know what they were thinking.

Well, you bought it for a last-gen console. That's pretty inadvisable these days. 360 and PS3 are basically abandoned at this point, any cross-platform games released on them are going to be low-quality ports only there to take advantage of the large remaining install base.

The only game I can recall that had *good* last gen ports was Destiny. Basically every other... has suffered from the same issues on their last-gen version that you're describing.

Endless_Legend
11-18-2014, 05:49 PM
Well, I don't know what to tell you. Have you ever played a good RPG to compare DA2 with? Have you played other action games before?

Mmm hmm. I've played all of the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games, all the expansions to those, every Divinity Game, every Neverwinter Nights main game and expansion, every console-spinoff game of those properties, every single Fable, every Elder Scrolls title, all the old gold-box D&D games... the list goes on. Would you like me to just copy/paste pictures of my Steam library list, or my shelf with every Box/CD on it?

You thought Two Worlds 2 was better? That game was a train wreck.

simbob4000
11-18-2014, 05:54 PM

I forgot that game was even coming out for those systems. How different does it look, I don't think I've seen anything of those versions?

simbob4000
11-18-2014, 06:22 PM
Mmm hmm. I've played all of the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games, all the expansions to those, every Divinity Game, every Neverwinter Nights main game and expansion, every console-spinoff game of those properties, every single Fable, every Elder Scrolls title, all the old gold-box D&D games... the list goes on. Would you like me to just copy/paste pictures of my Steam library list, or my shelf with every Box/CD on it?

You thought Two Worlds 2 was better? That game was a train wreck.

Elder Scrolls, I asked what good RPG you've played.

Two Worlds 2 is far better. The combat isn't that great, but that game isn't up it's own ass like DA2; it's a nice, funny (sometimes unintentionally) and fun game. It's also got a good crafting system, a good magic system, and a nice world to dick around in. At times it's a mess, but it's an enjoyable mess. It's a fun game, which is what a video game should be.

Endless_Legend
11-19-2014, 12:06 AM
Moving along...

So far Dragon Age Inquisition is a real treat. It has blended the combat style of DA2 with open-world movement and exploration. It's also gorgeous looking. Everything feels extremely expansive. Running pretty stable even on my ancient video card, although there are some occasional frame-drops, but I'm blaming that on having 4-year-old hardware in my computer.

They also brought back the rather silly thing from Dragon-Age Origins where if you dual-wield your knives just sort of float behind your back. I dunno if that's an intentional callback to that game or not, I suspect so because the other weapon types don't do that when sheathed.

Leliana's french accent is not nearly as strong, also. I kind of miss it, not it only shows up as a very faint inflection in the way she speaks.

LoneNecromancer
11-19-2014, 06:40 AM
I forgot that game was even coming out for those systems. How different does it look, I don't think I've seen anything of those versions?

It looks awful, though I'm pretty sure it'd have looked much more...acceptable if they'd optimised better.

LoneNecromancer
11-19-2014, 06:45 AM
All that and no Planescape Torment? :p

Elder Scrolls, I asked what good RPG you've played.
Come on, they said every single Fable. That's a way better target. Fable 3, Jesus, a fantasy RPG all about real estate.

Nyssane
11-19-2014, 06:47 AM
Guys, cut the snark.

I'm definitely so regretful for buying the 360 version instead of just waiting for Xbox One. The beards and stubble look like blotches of color on the character's face. The cutscenes are all sorts of choppy. I'll be walking along and something will appear on the ground right next to me. I honestly didn't even finish the first "quest." I'll probably sell my copy and use that money for an Xbox One version. Target doesn't return games when they've been opened, right?

Xero Kaiser
11-19-2014, 08:24 PM
The combat is cool, but as an RPG, DAI feels kinda flat. 12 hours in and I've had pretty much no opportunities for any RP/decision making and the character building is nonexistent. The game really feels like a single player MMO more than anything.

And the PC controls for this are screwed up beyond belief. Tactical cam is so ass backwards with a keyboard and mouse that I wonder if anyone at Bioware actually tried using before they rolled it out. Not that it matters as it's basically useless anyway.

Endless_Legend
11-19-2014, 08:24 PM
Come on, they said every single Fable. That's a way better target. Fable 3, Jesus, a fantasy RPG all about real estate.

Fable 3 wasn't about real-estate. Did you even play the game? Every single one of those was excellent, and universally acclaimed. Their only flaw was they couldn't live up to the impossible hyperbole that Molyneaux voice about them during development.

I also mentioned every single Black Isle and isometric bioware game, but I guess you don't count those as good CRPGs either. Tell me, since you're oh-so-refined, what is a good computer RPG? Fallout 1 and 2? Pool of Radiance? Wasteland? The Magic Candle? Ultima I? Played all of those.

Tell me all about what you think good CRPGs are. Really, I'm dying to hear. I'd be willing to be money that I've played every single one of them, too.

Endless_Legend
11-19-2014, 08:31 PM
And the PC controls for this are screwed up beyond belief. Tactical cam is so ass backwards with a keyboard and mouse that I wonder if anyone at Bioware actually tried using before they rolled it out.

I heard about this beforehand, thankfully, and so resolved to never even trying to use the PC controls, just going to controller it the whole way.

As for the roleplaying, I've only had a chance to play for about 2 hours so far, so I guess I can't say yet. I've felt like the story has been pretty interesting. There hasn't been *much* character building, no, but I've also always felt that the roleplaying and character building you do in video games is basically illusory anyways. Or rather, it's all up to you to do in your own head, all that any game can really do is facilitate immersion and make you feel like you're part of the world.

Actual roleplaying doesn't happen in front of a computer screen, it happens around a table with other human beings, or if you're into LARPing, it happens there. (I suppose it can happen in multiplayer RPGs, if everyone agrees to roleplay the characters while playing the video game. But then you've just created a virtual tabletop.)

I will agree that the game's atmosphere could be stronger, though. It's beautiful looking, but the world doesn't feel quite as *alive* as I'd like it to.

Xero Kaiser
11-19-2014, 08:32 PM
There hasn't been *much* character building, no, but I've also always felt that the roleplaying and character building you do in video games is basically illusory anyways. Or rather, it's all up to you to do in your own head, all that any game can really do is facilitate immersion and make you feel like you're part of the world.

Even by video game RPG standards this is pretty light. You can't do anything interesting with your builds. Just pick a preset character and off you go. Maybe playing Divinity: Original Sin just has me hungry for more old-school CRPGs. I knew DAI was going to be simplified, but part of me was hoping they'd lean back towards the original Dragon Age. But I don't think the Bioware that was capable of that exists anymore.

And, holy crap, I didn't know people actually liked Fable.

Endless_Legend
11-19-2014, 08:34 PM
Target doesn't return games when they've been opened, right?

Unfortunately, no. Once it's opened, it's replacement only, no refunds. I bet you can probably get 35 or 40 bucks back for it in trade at a Game Xchange, though, since it's only been out for a day or two.

Endless_Legend
11-19-2014, 08:37 PM
Even by video game RPG standards this is pretty light. You can't do anything interesting with your builds. Just pick a preset character and off you go.

You know that there are tons of sliders in the face/appearance customization options, right? You don't have to pick a preset appearance.

You couldn't really do anything interesting with a starting character in D&D 1st edition, either. Just pick Warrior, Thief, or Magic user, and some paltry starting gear and randomly rolled stats. And yet those are some of the best RP experiences I've ever had. The burden of that is always on the player.

DAI could use more customization options, though.

Hiromi
11-19-2014, 09:46 PM
Yeah the character creator is fairly extensive, not sure how you missed it.

Played a good chunk over the last few days and it's still relatively early in the game, took a while and an nvidia driver update to get it running at a respectable level, but it's making my 560 ti feel a bit dated. One thing that does irk me is a bug that causes npcs to refer to male characters as female sometimes, apparently bioware's working on it so I'll likely hold off on starting a new character for a minute.

simbob4000
11-20-2014, 03:41 AM
Guys, cut the snark.

I'm definitely so regretful for buying the 360 version instead of just waiting for Xbox One. The beards and stubble look like blotches of color on the character's face. The cutscenes are all sorts of choppy. I'll be walking along and something will appear on the ground right next to me. I honestly didn't even finish the first "quest." I'll probably sell my copy and use that money for an Xbox One version. Target doesn't return games when they've been opened, right?

You might be able to take it back even if it's something they don't do.

Nyssane
11-20-2014, 06:31 AM
You know that there are tons of sliders in the face/appearance customization options, right? You don't have to pick a preset appearance.

You couldn't really do anything interesting with a starting character in D&D 1st edition, either. Just pick Warrior, Thief, or Magic user, and some paltry starting gear and randomly rolled stats. And yet those are some of the best RP experiences I've ever had. The burden of that is always on the player.

DAI could use more customization options, though.

The hair is the biggest beef I had with it. The females and males seem to share all the hairs, which is really sad. DA2 had some pretty great hairstyles, IMO.

Xero Kaiser
11-20-2014, 08:11 AM
Yeah the character creator is fairly extensive, not sure how you missed it.

I'm not talking about the character creator, I didn't say anything about how my character looks 0_o (although, the hair options suck). I'm talking stat/skill wise. You can't do anything creative with your class. You pick one, they give you a handful of spells/talents and that's about it. No multi-classing, no personality traits, etc. Maybe just coming off of Divinity: Original Sin spoiled me but you don't have many options when it comes to that.

Hiromi
11-20-2014, 05:16 PM
I get you, you said preset and my mind jumped to the premade characters

Anyway I see shades of the Dragonage 2 system where your three main conversation choices defined your character to the point that the normal conversation and companion reactions to you began to reflect it, though it is hurting from not having Hawke's VAs who were outstanding.

Arvandor
11-21-2014, 01:00 PM
Maybe I should have tried it earlier, but I'm thoroughly confused by this dragon age keep website tapestry thing. You can only edit partial historical events?

Endless_Legend
11-21-2014, 01:27 PM
Maybe I should have tried it earlier, but I'm thoroughly confused by this dragon age keep website tapestry thing. You can only edit partial historical events?

It's basically a visual database for managing all the events and choices for the first two games.

So that way, if you played the first two games, but no longer own the system or have the save-file for them, you don't have to go back and replay them. You can just go in to Dragon Age Keep and click the changes you want instead. Also, if you want to try the third game with multiple different iterations, you can just make a few changes.

Functionally, it's a time-saving app, pretty nice of them to include it.

Arvandor
11-21-2014, 01:55 PM
But how do I get it to sync with my PS4?

simbob4000
11-21-2014, 03:38 PM
Just saw this, the combat looks even worse than I was thinking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Y-7gaVtkE

Also seems to take a while before you're actually doing anything.

Endless_Legend
11-21-2014, 06:23 PM
But how do I get it to sync with my PS4?

once you've made all your Keep choice, you want to click the option that says "Export to DAI", then it'll let you save your world-state.

Whenever you fire up your PS4 to play, there should be an option to sign into your Origin/EA account. Once you do that, and then start a new game of DAI, it should then ask if you want to import your Keep settings.

If you've already started a game... you're kind of out of luck, because then it'll just pick the "default" choices for all those past events. (Dalish Female Warden from first game, etc). So you'll need to start a new game to be able to take advantage of Keep.

Endless_Legend
11-21-2014, 06:27 PM
Just saw this, the combat looks even worse than I was thinking.

Also seems to take a while before you're actually doing anything.

Everything about that video, from slow and hesitant the way the guy was playing, to stupid captions he added and how he placed music over the game's actual audio, was pretty obviously designed to make the game look bad, or convince a viewer that they wouldn't enjoy it. Biased, much? Completely.

Just drop it already. You aren't fooling anyone here but yourself. Anyone can make a new AAA release look good or bad with some clever editing and commentary.

simbob4000
11-21-2014, 07:00 PM
Everything about that video, from slow and hesitant the way the guy was playing, to stupid captions he added and how he placed music over the game's actual audio, was pretty obviously designed to make the game look bad, or convince a viewer that they wouldn't enjoy it. Biased, much? Completely.

Just drop it already. You aren't fooling anyone here but yourself. Anyone can make a new AAA release look good or bad with some clever editing and commentary.

The things that make it look bad are the combat, and that the game not having you really do anything at all. There's no clever editing or trickery making that first enemy encounter (or any of the others) look terrible, or making the combat look bad.

The player also doesn't seem to be playing it slowly at all, they're moving right along to the next thing the whole video.

Hiromi
11-22-2014, 10:56 AM
We've known what the combat would look like for months, and have had much longer and better put together demonstration videos directly from Bioware, some overly edited video of the first little bit of the tutorial stage on a computer that can barely run the game shouldn't be enough to sway your opinion one way or another.

simbob4000
11-22-2014, 11:43 AM
We've known what the combat would look like for months, and have had much longer and better put together demonstration videos directly from Bioware, some overly edited video of the first little bit of the tutorial stage on a computer that can barely run the game shouldn't be enough to sway your opinion one way or another.

Yeah, I know we've known what it looked like for months. Hell, I was the one to post the first PAX (or wherever it was) gameplay footage on the old forum when it first went up. But those demos, while still not making the combat look great, also made it look somewhat like the tactual view had a use and that the combat wasn't as bad as it is.

The combat in that video isn't edited to make it look bad...it's actually the opposite of the BioWare trailer that edits the crap out of the combat to make it look like some solo completely straight action game. That video shows full uncut combat encounters in which the player stands still, auto-locks onto an enemy, and shoots the enemy with little to no hit impact until they've won the fight. The first enemy encounter where he's standing perfectly still and shooting an enemy point blank with the bow is atrocious, and the combat never seems to rise above that level of banality.

Hiromi
11-22-2014, 12:13 PM
The pax video was over a year ago during early alpha, what a shock that it didn't accurately reflect the finished product, you know unlike that half hour of footage released at E3 this year that's virtually unchanged.

Several of the video's complaints are actually directly addressed by abilities, such as locational damage and mobility, which you know is why you don't base your opinion on a game from the first little bit of the tutorial stage, gameplay with half of a party and 2 abilities is not reflective of what the majority of the game is. And this is just for the archer class, if you don't like that play style, there's 4 or 5 more.

simbob4000
11-22-2014, 01:35 PM
The pax video was over a year ago during early alpha, what a shock that it didn't accurately reflect the finished product, you know unlike that half hour of footage released at E3 this year that's virtually unchanged.

Several of the video's complaints are actually directly addressed by abilities, such as locational damage and mobility, which you know is why you don't base your opinion on a game from the first little bit of the tutorial stage, gameplay with half of a party and 2 abilities is not reflective of what the majority of the game is. And this is just for the archer class, if you don't like that play style, there's 4 or 5 more.

The video from a year ago made it look better than the finished game, which is what I said, so what's your point?

I've seen more of it than just the tutorial part, what that person is doing still works hours into the game. You don't seem to need mobility because the combat is so bad. By location damage do you mean you get a lock-on "headshot" skill that always hits, or that there's a skill that makes you have to aim manually like the game seems to need to have for all bow shooting?

Melee combat looks just as bad and mindless as the archer stuff.

Xero Kaiser
11-22-2014, 08:38 PM
Put about 25 hours into it so far. I'm enjoying the game overall but I haven't come across any parts where I've made an actual decision yet aside from turning down potential party members. Quests are all MMO style "gather this" and "kill that" stuff. Dialogue is rarely a factor outside of your camp. No talking your way through/out of situations, no puzzles to solve, no alternate paths (stealth, diplomacy, brute force, etc) through quests. Some of these may pop up later on, but to have none of it for 25 hours doesn't make me think it'll ever be a huge factor.

Like I said, the actual gameplay is fun (if shallow), but know what you're getting into. DAI is an action game with some light RPG elements, don't expect much depth or complexity from it.

Arvandor
11-23-2014, 01:49 AM
After about ten hours, I'm enjoying the exploration and I'm impressed by the size and openness. But the combat is horrible, its impossible to know if I'm even hitting someone, and I'm constantly swinging while my enemy wanders off elsewhere. And the ability tree is shallow and weak, far inferior to both previous versions of the game.

Xero Kaiser
11-25-2014, 01:42 PM
I'm not entirely sure why they stripped all of the tactical options from the game.

How did we go from this?
http://modsreloaded.com/downloads/bo67jnqwho/n65kbicm63.jpg
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111124175247/dragonage/images/thumb/0/0d/Merril-tactics.jpg/1679px-Merril-tactics.jpg

To this?
http://boo.digitalchumps.com/images/dragon_age_inquisition/review/da_leveling.jpg

Now you have to babysit your characters all the damn time because you can't do anything with their (terrible) AI. It might not be so bad if tactical cam wasn't completely terrible...but it is. It's sad to see how dumbed down the combat's become. If they were going to go this route, they should have taken a look at Dragon's Dogma to see how it's done properly.

Hiromi
11-27-2014, 07:13 AM
Put about 25 hours into it so far. I'm enjoying the game overall but I haven't come across any parts where I've made an actual decision yet aside from turning down potential party members. Quests are all MMO style "gather this" and "kill that" stuff. Dialogue is rarely a factor outside of your camp. No talking your way through/out of situations, no puzzles to solve, no alternate paths (stealth, diplomacy, brute force, etc) through quests. Some of these may pop up later on, but to have none of it for 25 hours doesn't make me think it'll ever be a huge factor.

Like I said, the actual gameplay is fun (if shallow), but know what you're getting into. DAI is an action game with some light RPG elements, don't expect much depth or complexity from it.
the major decisions are there, though you've probably come across them at this point. Basically every major story mission involves some sort of major decision(s), Hell the first one becomes available almost immediately after the Hinterlands, the large area maps are very mmo styled questing though(and there have been several puzzle oriented dungeons I've run across), I've found the hours played part doesn't really factor into game progression, I'm nearly at 80 hours into it and I've just completed my first post Skyhold major story map(completionist + gigantic game)

and frankly the Orlessian ball is a pretty incredible map

After about ten hours, I'm enjoying the exploration and I'm impressed by the size and openness. But the combat is horrible, its impossible to know if I'm even hitting someone, and I'm constantly swinging while my enemy wanders off elsewhere. And the ability tree is shallow and weak, far inferior to both previous versions of the game.

You know you're hitting someone by the combat text rising over the enemy's head displaying how much damage you're doing, and since I'm assuming you're talking about the warrior class, simply pressing your movement key/joystick in the direction of the enemy causes you to do a lunging attack helping close the distance, anything more get the harpoon talent.

Every playstyle had about 2 talent trees that are useful plus the specialization tree, that's about 25-30 possible talents which is enough to get you around level 25-30 without running out of places to put talent points, which is roughly the same as Origins or DA2, and for origin Rogues that included dumping 4 talent points into lockpicking or stealth

I'm not entirely sure why they stripped all of the tactical options from the game.

How did we go from this?
http://modsreloaded.com/downloads/bo67jnqwho/n65kbicm63.jpg
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111124175247/dragonage/images/thumb/0/0d/Merril-tactics.jpg/1679px-Merril-tactics.jpg

To this?
http://boo.digitalchumps.com/images/dragon_age_inquisition/review/da_leveling.jpg

Now you have to babysit your characters all the damn time because you can't do anything with their (terrible) AI. It might not be so bad if tactical cam wasn't completely terrible...but it is. It's sad to see how dumbed down the combat's become. If they were going to go this route, they should have taken a look at Dragon's Dogma to see how it's done properly.

They didn't, they split it into two pages, the one you're posting is general behavior, the tactics page is where you set ability priority, and I enjoy the fact that you have access to all of the abilities instead of having to put a once every 4 level talent point into the tactic skill for characters that didn't use Cunning as a stat(Warriors tended to have a pathetically small tactics list)

Xero Kaiser
11-27-2014, 01:41 PM
They didn't, they split it into two pages, the one you're posting is general behavior, the tactics page is where you set ability priority, and I enjoy the fact that you have access to all of the abilities instead of having to put a once every 4 level talent point into the tactic skill for characters that didn't use Cunning as a stat(Warriors tended to have a pathetically small tactics list)

You can't do anything on the other page aside from enabling/disabling skills. You can't tell them what kind of enemies to prioritize, when to cast certain spells (cast spell "x" on ranged enemies, cast spell "y" on groups of 3 or more, etc), what range to stay at during combat and so on. All the depth has been stripped out.

Michael P
11-27-2014, 05:45 PM
Maybe I wasn't paying much attention, bu I never found the tactics management all that deep in the first place.

Xero Kaiser
11-27-2014, 09:48 PM
Whatever word you want to use, the fact is you used to be able set up extremely detailed guidelines for your characters to follow for whatever strategy/encounter you had in mind and Bioware completely ripped that out of game. And it's not as if the AI is so good that it doesn't need direction anymore. Archers pull themselves into melee range, mages are too stupid to put distance between themselves and whatever's hitting them in the face, tanks stand there and stare off into the distance. Having to constantly hold your party member's hands is tiring, especially on harder difficulties.

Sasuke Uchiha
12-02-2014, 07:20 AM
i think the game is fantastic and for once i'll say that i think it's too big/open, i actually lose incentive to do things because there are just so many other things that can be done at anytime i lose focus, and it's long.. i mean really long. i haven't finish a playthrough yet, but the game is massive compared to the previous 2. loving it through, i hope the first thing they do is patch up the bugs. Then after fixing the bugs maybe add a few features that could help improve game quality, like customization options for races, and a face export/import feature, and improved tactical cam, sometimes it gets stuck or doesn't zoom right in some places.

Sasuke Uchiha
12-02-2014, 07:23 AM
Whatever word you want to use, the fact is you used to be able set up extremely detailed guidelines for your characters to follow for whatever strategy/encounter you had in mind and Bioware completely ripped that out of game. And it's not as if the AI is so good that it doesn't need direction anymore. Archers pull themselves into melee range, mages are too stupid to put distance between themselves and whatever's hitting them in the face, tanks stand there and stare off into the distance. Having to constantly hold your party member's hands is tiring, especially on harder difficulties.

I've noticed people saying this but i don't think they realize a lot of that is spread out over multiple things not just the behavior setting. Certain skills can be toggled from enable to disable to prefered, and those options greatly effect whether a character will use that skill or not, and some skills require the character to be within a certain range. example while you as a archer might drop caltrops if you see an opponent approaching you, the AI sees it as you want him to use caltrops so it has to get close to a enemy to do that.. so if you dont want your archer using caltrops up close turn it off that skill. That's how the new tactics work.

Xero Kaiser
12-02-2014, 10:45 AM
I've noticed people saying this but i don't think they realize a lot of that is spread out over multiple things not just the behavior setting. Certain skills can be toggled from enable to disable to prefered, and those options greatly effect whether a character will use that skill or not, and some skills require the character to be within a certain range. example while you as a archer might drop caltrops if you see an opponent approaching you, the AI sees it as you want him to use caltrops so it has to get close to a enemy to do that.. so if you dont want your archer using caltrops up close turn it off that skill. That's how the new tactics work.

I'm well aware of all that.

You can't do anything on the other page aside from enabling/disabling skills.

In the first game I could tell a ranged character to use a certain skill IF an enemy got into melee range without them actually being stupid enough to deliberately walk into melee range to cast it. Yes, you can set a "preferred" status on certain abilities, but that doesn't actually address the problem. I don't just want them brainlessly throwing out spell "X" just because it's available, I want them to cast spell "x" in situation "Y" if they're at "Z" distance. This game simply does not give you that kind of control that you had in past Dragon Age games and no amount of fiddling with the handful of options left to you will change that. As it stands you end up having to disable a lot of abilities because the AI is just flat-out too goddamn stupid to use them even remotely effectively. Hell, entire classes/trees aren't worth leaving in the hands of the AI (Reaver, especially)

It's like they wanted to turn Dragon Age into an action game but instead of actually building it from the ground-up as an action game they just took a hammer to the combat system of the past games. They want it to be an action game but there's no way to effectively control your party in real-time. There's no way to effectively view enough of the field to make tactical cam useful anymore. There's no way to queue up multiple actions for party members anymore. There's no way to select/move multiple party members anymore. You can't have more than 8 abilities anymore. I don't want to come off like a, "PC Master Race" guy, but this franchise has been so obviously dumbed down to work on consoles that it's ridiculous. Anything that would've been too hard to do on a controller has been watered down or outright removed.

simbob4000
12-02-2014, 07:33 PM
They did want to turn Dragon Age into an action game, that's what the whole last game was about. Now it seems they want to keep it that way while paying lip service to the people that wanted it to go back to what they did in the first game. It's just too bad that BioWare is horrible at action games.

Sasuke Uchiha
12-05-2014, 10:00 AM
this game is utterly fan freaking tastic! I don't care what people say about combat, This is what a RPG should be, MY FREAKING EPIC STORY OF CHOICE AND CONSEQUENCE!

cactusmaac
12-06-2014, 02:59 AM
Massive improvement over DA2. Immensely huge game. This is the first since Witcher 2 that I've had a game which compelled me to get up, play 17 hours, pass out and then get up and repeat.

Party members are good (with the exception of Vivienne and Varric - I'd have preferred Sigrun from DA: Awakenings) although I haven't felt I've developed a really deep relationship with them.

Iron Bull and Sera are easily the highlights.

Currently playing as a Qunari male warrior which is fine but I'd rather have him be a full Sten-like Qun warrior than a blase Tal-Vashoth.

Top marks for world construction, will wait until I finish before weighing in on the story.

Expletive Deleted
12-15-2014, 08:32 AM
It's definitely the most immersive game I've played since the first Dragon Age. When you're a hundred hours in, still not entirely finished, and you're already thinking about the choices you want to make on your next play-through . . . damn.

cactusmaac
12-18-2014, 05:05 PM
It was pretty good in the end but not what I'd call an elite game, the main story kind of petered out.

I would have preferred if they got rid of a few of the open world areas like the Oasis, Hissing Wastes and Fallow Mire and instead put more attention on player choice and customising keeps.

Earlier builds of the game suggested you would have to choose between maintaining your own defences vs protecting villagers etc. and that seemed to have been dumped so they could make ship date.

Second play-through will be as an elf. Romanced Cassandra first time, will be targeting Josephine next.

BeastieRunner
12-18-2014, 05:12 PM
I'm approaching 95 hours in and I just finished the Blackwall/Stoud/Warden quest line. I was trying to finish up all the little quests and stuff before advancing the story again because the first time I accidentally sided with the Templars (I disbanded, absorbed, and made them my first round of foot soldiers) and then lost a bunch of quests after Haven fell. So I didn't want that to happen again. I'm getting ready to do the big Orlais story next.

BeastieRunner
01-08-2015, 12:11 PM
If you want to laugh the whole game, run with Dorian, Sera, and Iron Bull. Team Comedy for the win!

Vic Vega
01-16-2015, 09:04 AM
Great game, nearly 100 hours in and im not even halfway finished with this.

Zero Hunter
01-24-2015, 06:47 PM
I have one really annoying bug that is driving me crazy. When ever I send anyone out in the war room now it takes double the time for them to complete the task. It did not start doing it until I was about 65 hours in.

My main team so far seems to always fall back to Blackwall/Dorian/Sera so far. Once in a while if I am going for brute force I will swap out Iron Bull or Cassandra for Sera.

Bee_Maya
02-04-2015, 03:21 PM
I honestly didn't like DA2 that much, but Inquisition is seriously amazing. Too bad it doesn't run very well on my machine. Oh well.

Vic Vega
03-06-2015, 08:18 AM
Patch 5 was released today.

Woohoo, storage!

Hiromi
03-24-2015, 09:22 AM
Trailer for the first real DLC is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fElIdKZX6p0

Edit: Completely misread the article, the DLC is out now

caught me by surprise as I hadn't seen anything about it on PCgamer, Bioware's youtube channel, or Bioware's blog until today

Michael P
03-24-2015, 02:40 PM
Yeah, they didn't muck about with a preamble on this one.