PDA

View Full Version : Unfinished/incomplete works

Zetsubou
05-22-2014, 06:02 AM
At the time of his death, Mike Wieringo had completed only seven pages of a What If? story featuring the temporary "replacement" Fantastic Four of Spider-Man, Wolverine, Hulk, and Ghost Rider that had originally been assembled in a 1990 three-part Fantastic Four storyline. But the other creators such as Arthur Adams, Paul Renaud, Stuart Immonen, Cully Hamner, Alan Davis, David Williams, Sanford Greene, Humberto Ramos, Skottie Young, Mike Allred, and Barry Kitson, stepped in to complete his unfinished story. That is the only comic book left unfinished by creator (but finished by other artists) I have read. I wonder if there are any other unfinished comic book works which the creators are unable to finish.

I wish Bruce Lee had lived to finish his film Game of Death . I hated the complete (1978) version of the film which were completed by actors stepping in Bruce Lee's place. I liked the original and incomplete version much better.

It is a pity that Faberge was unable to complete the 1917 Blue Constellation Egg, due to the Tsar Nicholas II's downfall and the collapse of the Russian Empire's government.

http://mieks.com/eng/1917-Blue-Constellation-Egg.htm

Are there any other works left unfinished/incomplete by artists?

Diamond
05-22-2014, 06:33 AM
Comic-wise, Jim Lee says "hi". He has yet to finish the fourth volume of Wildcats, All-Star Batman & Robin, Superman Unchained, and Alan Moore's 1963. He was working on another project, Batman: Europe, that was never published, too.

You could say that he's not precisely an artist, though, but I don't want to get into that discussion.

Dizzy D
05-22-2014, 06:44 AM
The main one that comes to mind for me is Blake and Mortimer: The Three Formulae of Professor Sato, part 2. The first part was written and drawn in 1971 by Edgar P. Jacobs. He finished the script for the second issue before his death, but it was not until 1990 that it was finally illustrated by Bob de Moor.

md62
05-22-2014, 06:54 AM
Dr Fate by Steve Gerber in Countdown to Mystery.

bert
05-22-2014, 07:58 AM
Comic-wise, Jim Lee says "hi". He has yet to finish the fourth volume of Wildcats, All-Star Batman & Robin, Superman Unchained, and Alan Moore's 1963. He was working on another project, Batman: Europe, that was never published, too.

You could say that he's not precisely an artist, though, but I don't want to get into that discussion.

although this could be leveled at the majority of the Image original 7 (not all, as Erik Larsen does *not* have this problem). . I'm shocked you chose Jim Lee to spotlight for this topic, instead of Rob Liefeld.

he's notorious for not finishing what he starts.

I have a personal example. Back at SDCC in 2005, I actually had a very pleasant conversation with the man. He was sketching at a table, and was very approachable, and we started discussing Youngblood: Bloodsport.

he was selling (or pre-selling), a trade paperback of Youngblood: Genesis (only 2 issues ever came out, if I recall correctly), and I told him I wanted to wait to confirm that he finished Bloodsport, due to his reputation.

he laughed and assured me that it WOULD finish. So I told him, that I'd wait and complete the series as individual comics, and once it was done, I'd go back and buy the trade he was offering.

deal?

another issue of Youngblood: Bloodsport NEVER came out.

The Beast Of Yucca Flats
05-22-2014, 12:51 PM
Alan Moore & Bill Sienkiewicz's (and later Al Columbia's) Big Numbers.

Billy Batson
05-22-2014, 01:06 PM
Warren Ellis' Desolation Jones, Fell...and maybe something else during that time (I'm not sure) due to a hard drive crash and Templesmith's laziness.

Alan2099
05-22-2014, 07:02 PM
There was a Chaos comics series called The Lost which was a dark twisted modern take on Peter Pan. In it Peter Pan was an absolute twisted kinky sadist. He pretended to be a child prostitute and fed on pedophiles, not because he thought getting rid of them was a good deed or anything but simply because they were easy prey. Oh yeah, and Peter Pan and the Lost Boys are vampires. That's why they never grow up.

The story featuring him dragging another Wendy into his life, where she discovers Peter has a pit full of starved half crazed Wendys that he'd grown tired of over the years. Also at some point he vampirized Captain Hook and Smee and they're after him.

It was intended to be a four issue limited series. Only three issues where ever published.

bert
05-22-2014, 08:23 PM
There was a Chaos comics series called The Lost which was a dark twisted modern take on Peter Pan. In it Peter Pan was an absolute twisted kinky sadist. He pretended to be a child prostitute and fed on pedophiles, not because he thought getting rid of them was a good deed or anything but simply because they were easy prey. Oh yeah, and Peter Pan and the Lost Boys are vampires. That's why they never grow up.

The story featuring him dragging another Wendy into his life, where she discovers Peter has a pit full of starved half crazed Wendys that he'd grown tired of over the years. Also at some point he vampirized Captain Hook and Smee and they're after him.

It was intended to be a four issue limited series. Only three issues where ever published.

Unfinished TWICE actually. . it started off as a series by Caliber! comics. Only two issues were published.

then Chaos! picked it up, re-printed the first 2, + the 3rd issue. . and still crapped out before the 4th (tho I think that was a creator meltdown rather than Chaos! comics' fault)

Spike-X
05-22-2014, 08:41 PM
Big Numbers (never gonna happen)
Helfer/Baker's The Shadow (never gonna happen)
Gaiman Buckingham's Miracleman (gonna happen!!)

Greg Hatcher
05-22-2014, 08:54 PM
Someone mentioned Steve Gerber and Doctor Fate; but the one that really HURT was his never getting to properly finish his Omega the Unknown. The conclusion that eventually ran in The Defenders was nothing like what he had planned. Nor was Jonathan Lethem's remake. I've wondered for decades what the ACTUAL solution, the Gerber-Skrenes one, to the mystery of James-Michael and Omega really was.

Another one is Mike Baron's Sonic Disruptors, canceled in mid-story. Same thing with Marvel's Logan's Run comic. I enjoyed both of those too. Showing my age here, but this sort of thing used to happen a LOT.

Alan2099
05-22-2014, 11:25 PM
I just thought of another two good ones.

BattleChasers. Madureira still hasn't gone back to finish that series, and it ended on a cliffhanger. Supposedly he still has deep effection for it, even though it took him four years to publish nine issues of the book originally.

Matt Wagner's Mage is another one worth noting. Supposedly the plan for it was to release it in three 15 issue volumes. The first set came out in the mid 80s. The second set didn't come out until the late 90s and the last set still hasn't been made yet.

Zero Hunter
05-23-2014, 08:29 AM
Not a comic but i am worried that if George R.R. Martin does not kick it in gear and finish up the A Song of Fire and Ice series it might not get done. I mean he is 65 already and has not looked in the best of health for years already.

Michael P
05-23-2014, 08:30 AM
Martin has a plan in place for someone else (probably Melinda Snodgrass) to finish the series if anything happens to him. He's even told the guys making the show how it ends.

DubipR
05-23-2014, 08:44 AM
Lots of good stuff listed. Good calls on Big Numbers, 1963 and Ellis' works.

Others not mentioned:
Image United
Wildsiderz (remember this one?)
Claws of the Cat #5 (I want this one badly!)
Ms. Marvel #24 & 25 (1970s run)- We never got those issues; both drawn and written but series cancelled with 23
Joker #10
Otherworld- Phil Jimenez said it was to be a 12 issue series, done at 7
The Great 10 #10- cancelled at 9 due to low sales; issue 10 was in the can.

Greg
05-23-2014, 09:10 AM

Whhhaaaaa? that sounds amazing!! I need to track that down!