PDA

View Full Version : What makes you cry?

SuperCooper
05-24-2014, 01:35 PM
Exactly what the title says, anything from the bizarre to the serious, the awkward and embarrassing to the soul movingly beautiful.

If I sing for any longer than thirty seconds, I start to tear up. I wish I knew why.

And commercials that feature sad dogs gets me, every dog darn time.

coveredinbees
05-24-2014, 02:19 PM
Every time someone dies in a movie or tv show. Those commercials where the old tool is rejected for the new product. There was a commercial with an iron who sang I'm Mr. Lonely. That made me cry.
This commercial makes me very sad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdIJOE9jNcM&feature=kp

The MunchKING
05-24-2014, 03:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYA-zVxS6hw

John Keyt
05-24-2014, 03:56 PM
On pintarest were a guy talks about the Lab ( named Reggie ) he adopted and the letter the previous owner had wrote about Tank and why he gave him up and the story of why he called him Reggie . And what happened to original owner . Cried like a baby first time in 20 years . Dam dog stories .

Joe Acro
05-24-2014, 03:57 PM
There are two distinct, sad moments that make me teary: The death of Skyman in Infinity, Inc. and Wilson floating out to sea in Cast Away.

I'm sure there are more, but those two I know for sure.

Mari
05-24-2014, 04:11 PM
Sad stories, death of friend or relative, and perhaps thinking of time lost or things not done with those who have died.

Spike-X
05-24-2014, 04:34 PM
http://filmpulse.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/gianty.jpg

"Soo...per...man..."

Vidocq
05-24-2014, 06:08 PM
Hearing about someone, a real person, commiting suicide, even if I don't know them personally. I don't actually cry but I do get that tingling sensation in my tear glands as if I'm about to, specially if I hear they had young kids.

bert
05-24-2014, 06:27 PM
http://filmpulse.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/gianty.jpg

"Soo...per...man..."

Shawn Hopkins
05-24-2014, 06:32 PM
Sad country songs. I am a big sloppy sap for them. Tom T. Hall, Keith Whitley, even one particular Alabama song that I'm too embarrassed to name can get tears streaming down my cheeks. I kind of like it, though, it's a relief to quickly cry it out to a song and then go back to your day. Although it's not lost on me that the songs that get me the most are about fathers and my dad died when I was young, so there's surely some catharsis going on there.

And of course sad things that happen to people close to me in real life.

Movies and comics don't really do it for me. The last comic that made me cry was We3, and that one gives some strong, shameless tugs at the heartstrings with abused pets. If they make a movie the soundtrack will just be Sarah McLachlan singing "In The Eyes Of An Angel."

Speed Force League Unlimited
05-24-2014, 06:35 PM
Deaths
Politics

And more

Michael24
05-24-2014, 06:52 PM
I'll admit it. (Although I'm not embarrassed to say.) Titanic. But not Jack's death scene, sad as that is. Instead, it's those final moments of the sinking, starting around the time Jack and Rose return to the deck, and begin making their way to the stern. The ship is tilting more and more, people are screaming, bodies are falling left and right, the ship starts breaking up. Yeah, that all gets me every single time. It's not just because James Cameron so expertly captures the emotion of it all, but because it combines with the knowledge that it actually happened, and that real people actually went through it.

Nick Soapdish
05-24-2014, 07:05 PM
My contact lenses.

And Hollywood is great at pushing my buttons, especially when the movie has a great score. I cried at the end of Glory when the Union soldiers were being thrown into a mass grave together, both white and black. (Probably when Denzel Washington and Matthew Broderick died as well.) I've probably cried for every movie scored by Hans Zimmer at some point in the movie.

DubipR
05-24-2014, 08:41 PM
And Hollywood is great at pushing my buttons, especially when the movie has a great score. I cried at the end of Glory when the Union soldiers were being thrown into a mass grave together, both white and black. (Probably when Denzel Washington and Matthew Broderick died as well.) I've probably cried for every movie scored by Hans Zimmer at some point in the movie.

Good film, but it's this scene from Glory that gets me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVSn_bno8IQ

And yes, I cry at Hollywood flicks

The ending of Last of the Mohicans (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9SEFMIBwAs)
The ending of Field of Dreams
The attack on Normandy from Saving Private Ryan

ExcelsiorPrime
05-24-2014, 08:53 PM
War, poverty, cruelty, unnecessary violence.

http://youtu.be/RJ7E7Qp-s-8

1:17 mark

fumetti
05-24-2014, 09:26 PM
1. Trying to follow the Marvel Universe.

2. DC's New52-verse.

Charmed
05-24-2014, 09:36 PM
The ending to "Meet the Robinsons". It gets me every time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRCZLBSOilU

Paradox
05-24-2014, 09:59 PM
Pets being lost, injured or killed in fiction. Gets me every time. Screw the humans, it's usually their own fault anyway. ;)

Cotton
05-24-2014, 10:16 PM
Paradox hits the nail:

Pets being lost, injured or killed in fiction. Gets me every time. Screw the humans, it's usually their own fault anyway. ;)

Yeah, well it doesn't make me "cry" per se, but I get really angry when domesticated animals get hurt, I remember one time I saw a golden retriever (she wasn't "my" dog) got its back legs get ran over by a car, I screamed for the car to stop, but they didn't stop. I ran to the dog and she was still alive, I remember that she had a collar so she belonged to someone. You would think a dog in that state would be defensive but she just curled up in my arms yelping. I carried her to my friend's truck and we sat in the back all the way to the vet hospital. She was still alive when we dropped her off and told the vet people to phone the number on the collar. I don't know if she made it, but that was the closest I was to crying for something's else pain other than my own.

Also, I've had a few friends commit suicide/accidental deaths(car accident) over the years, and even though I was sad for all of them dying but I only kind of cried for one of them....... So on some level I think I might be a sociopath.

Edit: grammar

Enigmatic Undead
05-24-2014, 10:36 PM

The ending of "Jurassic Bark" gets to me every time.

http://cdn3.whatculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/jurassic-bark-futurama.png

Paradox
05-24-2014, 10:40 PM
I still think the saddest scene in comics ever was in Iron Man. Blacklash takes after Stark Industries Security Chief Vic Martinelli, ending up destroying his house. One panel, where Vic cradles the lifeless body of his Cocker Spaniel Peanut...I'm almost tearing up right now thinking about it.

Zero Hunter
05-24-2014, 11:06 PM
Sad country songs. I am a big sloppy sap for them. Tom T. Hall, Keith Whitley, even one particular Alabama song that I'm too embarrassed to name can get tears streaming down my cheeks. I kind of like it, though, it's a relief to quickly cry it out to a song and then go back to your day. Although it's not lost on me that the songs that get me the most are about fathers and my dad died when I was young, so there's surely some catharsis going s "

"That's My Job" by Conway Twitty. If you can listen to that song after your own dad has died then your a stronger man than me

Mormel
05-24-2014, 11:21 PM

Not necessarily 'pets' per se (though, in a sense, most of them were) but this is pretty much the only problem I have with the 'Panther's Rage' storyline that ran in Jungle Action: the leopards, gorillas, wolves, even fricken dinosaurs that ended up dying at T'Challa's hands. I hold T'Challa to a higher standard than most superheroes, and I was annoyed to see that he wouldn't extend a bit more mercy to the jungle critters that happened to be sicced on him by the real bad guys.

Shawn Hopkins
05-24-2014, 11:31 PM
"That's My Job" by Conway Twitty. If you can listen to that song after your own dad has died then your a stronger man than me

I cry like a baby. I cry just thinking about it. I thought about it earlier today and started tearing up a bit.

Okay, the Alabama song that makes me cry is "Roll On (18-Wheeler)." It's a stupid song, but the father in it is so determined to get back to and be there for his family I can't help but get all snotty and snivelly.

DebkoX
05-24-2014, 11:35 PM
The end of Gravity. I've never rooted for a fictional character so hard and cried in relief.

Cotton
05-25-2014, 12:01 AM
The end of Gravity. I've never rooted for a fictional character so hard and cried in relief.

That was a great movie, but I still didn't cry you wuss.

Btw: you know I'm just messing with you.

Marvel_Is
05-25-2014, 12:02 AM
The fact that the original Guns N' Roses lineup can never really get back together because the Axl Rose Disaster Project makes it impossible.

Wedge Antilles
05-25-2014, 01:10 AM
Cutting onions.

And the tragedy of others, feeling helpless when I want to help but can't.

just another user
05-25-2014, 02:08 AM
Usually on the rare occasions I do tear up its due to people being kind or selfless. Also sometimes if I'm watching some documentary about social progress.

SuperCooper
05-25-2014, 08:00 AM
Great replies so far, thanks for opening up everyone!

I'll share one moment where I couldn't stop crying, and even two years on it still chokes me up.

Back in 2012 my dad had a heart attack, which he felt coming on at about 3 in the morning. Everyone was asleep and, not wanting to wake his kids or cause them panic, he threw on some warm clothes, called the ambulance, and walked himself down the stairs to wait for the paramedics to arrive. When I woke the next morning my mom told me what had happened and when we got over to the hospital seeing him hooked up to everything and looking so frail and weak and tired just made me break down.

Cotton
05-27-2014, 12:27 AM
Great replies so far, thanks for opening up everyone!

I'll share one moment where I couldn't stop crying, and even two years on it still chokes me up.

Back in 2012 my dad had a heart attack, which he felt coming on at about 3 in the morning. Everyone was asleep and, not wanting to wake his kids or cause them panic, he threw on some warm clothes, called the ambulance, and walked himself down the stairs to wait for the paramedics to arrive. When I woke the next morning my mom told me what had happened and when we got over to the hospital seeing him hooked up to everything and looking so frail and weak and tired just made me break down.

I am sorry to hear that, I hope everything turned out okay for you guys.

Mari
05-27-2014, 03:54 AM
SuperCooper I hope your dad is okay now?

SuperCooper
05-27-2014, 04:42 AM
I am sorry to hear that, I hope everything turned out okay for you guys.

SuperCooper I hope your dad is okay now?

Oh yeah, he's alright now! Thanks guys, he was in the hospital for about four days after the surgery but he pulled through alright.

indigim25
05-28-2014, 11:01 PM
When a long time relationship(not just romantic ex. friends, brothers) ends because someone dies </3 It just makes me sad T_____T

Selena Musić
05-29-2014, 02:15 PM
When I have to stay awake whole night to study... *sad sigh*

MikeP
05-29-2014, 02:16 PM
All-Star Superman. "you're much stronger than you think you are. Trust me."

coveredinbees
05-29-2014, 04:56 PM
Group projects

Dispenser Of Truth
05-29-2014, 05:25 PM
In comics? Lots of stuff in Grant Morrison stories (that's probably the one area where people who hate his work agree with me), and the ends of Preacher and New Frontier.

On a related note, this makes me cry every time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN7OBEd5hRM

Sub-Zero MKA
05-29-2014, 06:18 PM
Talking about my dad. He's been gone for over ten years and I still get choked up sometimes.

Professor Moriarty
05-29-2014, 08:11 PM
that episode of Wolfs Rain where Toboe dies.

Pharozonk
05-29-2014, 08:12 PM
When I wake up in the middle of the night and realize the next day is a Monday.

Motown Rage
05-29-2014, 10:59 PM
Cutting Onions, gets me everytime

Paradox
05-29-2014, 11:06 PM
Do it with the onion in a bowl of water. No odor to escape to trigger tears.

Motown Rage
05-29-2014, 11:55 PM
Do it with the onion in a bowl of water. No odor to escape to trigger tears.

I've never heard that one, but I will absolutely try that next time, thanks

Paradox
05-30-2014, 12:31 AM
That's what I'm told anyway. I never tried it, because the odor doesn't seem to bother my eyes.

Kirby101
05-30-2014, 06:07 AM
I'll stick to Media rather than personal experiences. Pixar movies always get me. The beginning of UP and the end of Toy Story 3 for example.