PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever read videogame magazines?

Ghost
06-01-2014, 11:25 AM
Stuff like Game Pro, Electronic Gaming Monthly, and of course Nintendo Power. Are there still many gaming magazines out today? I was into them mostly in the 90s myself. Any special memories?

I'll never forget the first glimpse I got at Castlevania: Symphony of the Night in this GamePro review (https://archive.org/stream/GamePro_Issue_108_Volume_09_Number_09_1997-09_IDG_Publishing_US#page/n31/mode/2up).
I was in awe that a Vania' game looked this incredible (didnt know about Rondo), and that you were freaking Dracula's son! Swords and bats instead of crosses and whips? This was a big deal for my 10 year old brain.

Also, I remember when Nintendo Power was in full hype-building mode for Zelda: Ocarina of Time. It was near its release, and they were finally revealing gameplay and huge (at the time) world maps. I spent hours just daydreaming about what it was like to actually ride this horse they kept talking about, Epona. Even in the constrained Hyrule Field map I thought that really anything could happen.

the_key_24
06-01-2014, 12:18 PM
Sadly enough Nintendo Power died a few years ago.
Now there's Game Informer and some fan made magazine like Nintendo Power
Other than those, there seem to be almost no other gaming magazines anymore

Mormel
06-01-2014, 01:32 PM
In the Netherlands, we had the Power Unlimited and the PlayNation. I seem to recall that PlayNation was exclusively a Playstation magazine, though. My cousin had a subscription to PlayNation back in the early 2000s, and I remember reading them with much interest whenever I came over to visit.

PlayNation ceased publication a long time ago, but I believe Power Unlimited is still running.

Spider-Prime
06-01-2014, 05:11 PM
I used to buy every single one that came out. I loved getting Tips and Tricks for all it's cheat codes and new gameshark/action replay codes.

But, all of them got too expensive for very little content and too many ads. So I had to stop buying them.

I used to have the very first issue of Nintendo Power. But it got wrecked :( I miss it.

Hamdinger
06-01-2014, 09:44 PM
PC Gamer is still on the magazine stands astoundingly!

Ghost
06-01-2014, 10:08 PM
In the Netherlands, we had the Power Unlimited and the PlayNation. I seem to recall that PlayNation was exclusively a Playstation magazine, though. My cousin had a subscription to PlayNation back in the early 2000s, and I remember reading them with much interest whenever I came over to visit.

PlayNation ceased publication a long time ago, but I believe Power Unlimited is still running.

PlayNation sounds vaguely familiar. i remember some Playstation magazine would come with pretty decent demo cd's full of stuff.

I used to buy every single one that came out. I loved getting Tips and Tricks for all it's cheat codes and new gameshark/action replay codes.

But, all of them got too expensive for very little content and too many ads. So I had to stop buying them.

I used to have the very first issue of Nintendo Power. But it got wrecked :( I miss it.

Ah i forgot Tips and Tricks. Yeah it did have some good codes before everyone used the internet. I remember I thought I was so cool for having a Gameshark lol.. not many people knew about them for whatever reason.

And thats too bad about Nintendo Power. The older ones were alot more fun. They had great exclusive stuff, like comics,maps, posters, contests and illustrations to really hype up the next big games.

banky
06-01-2014, 10:25 PM
for old school playstation (psx) fans PSM magazine was the best. Coverage of japanese import games & some awesome comic-inspired covers made it the coolest videogame rag 1998-2003. David Finch did this Tomb Raider one: http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Daily/2010/07-Jul/03/Good%20Magazine%20Covers/Psm_issue_013--article_image.jpg

Going further back Electronic Games Magazine was killer. There's a site which has archived the early 1980s issues for those who want to reminisce.

Ghost
06-03-2014, 02:36 AM
for old school playstation (psx) fans PSM magazine was the best. Coverage of japanese import games & some awesome comic-inspired covers made it the coolest videogame rag 1998-2003. David Finch did this Tomb Raider one: http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Daily/2010/07-Jul/03/Good%20Magazine%20Covers/Psm_issue_013--article_image.jpg

Going further back Electronic Games Magazine was killer. There's a site which has archived the early 1980s issues for those who want to reminisce.

I think I had a few issues of PSM as well (now Im wondering where the heck these are stored? :p). Werent they unusually large compared to most magazines? I always liked the bigger stuff because it usually meant bigger pictures lol.

Things Fall Apart
06-03-2014, 07:37 AM
I get Game Informer every month. When you join Game Stop's powerup rewards program it includes a subscription.

Wedge Antilles
06-03-2014, 07:40 PM
I used to read Electronic Gaming Monthly a lot. I can't remember the names of the others I'd regularly pick up.

Any reason why a lot of them went away? I'm surprised at the dearth of the genre nowadays.

Ghost
06-03-2014, 11:06 PM
I used to read Electronic Gaming Monthly a lot. I can't remember the names of the others I'd regularly pick up.

Any reason why a lot of them went away? I'm surprised at the dearth of the genre nowadays.

I think the internet has done the most damage to print in general. People figured out you could get basically all the same information online for free. Thats also why many smaller newspapers are struggling. People have social media and such to get news faster.

I didnt realize EGM was still around today. According to its Wiki, it was cancelled in 2009 but then relaunched in 2010 now covering PC games as well.

Michael P
06-04-2014, 08:42 AM

Why pay a subscription to get once a month what you can get every day on the Internet for free?

Alan2099
06-04-2014, 10:27 AM
It used to have a subscription to Nintendo Power back in the day. It was awesome. Especially the old comics and maps they'd include with it.

I kinda lost track of it over the years, but I'm was quite impressed to find out that they actually made a final comic for the old Nester character that gives him a very nice send off.

JCAll
06-04-2014, 11:06 AM
I had ton of PSM and Nintendo Power from years ago, but they all got destroyed last winter. That was a sad day.

Surtur
06-08-2014, 09:40 AM
When I was younger I had gamepro subscription, it was awesome. I also had PSM. Then at one point Game Informer, but now with the internet and stuff..they have become redundant to me. It is unfortunate, I remember waiting with anticipation for the next issue of Gamepro as a kid.

daisetsu100
06-08-2014, 07:18 PM
maan... the money i feel wasted on those magazines.... could have been used for more games.

nintendo power - incidentally the first gaming magazine i ever had, was Nintendo Power's first issue
gamepro - are they seriously the guys who coined "PROTIP" ? cause i see that in non-gaming articles already.
EGM - back then, probably the only source for any news regarding games overseas
EGM2 - maan what a ripoff. and im a sucker
game players nintendo/sega - i remember the guides here being actually useful/helpful
video games and computer tactics - cant remember the exact title
incite - interesting articles, interviews, cheap too
PSM - too much fanboyism, almost insulting.
computer gaming world - i remember how much Thresh (the doom player) got so much hate in this mag
PC gamer - i remember they released warcraft III variant covers. and i ended up buying all of them!

sure was costly being a gamer in the 80s/90s.

alex
06-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Knowing i can sell them online makes me really regret destroy all those issues of Gamefan.

Hicklespickle
08-10-2015, 01:25 PM
I used to read the UK magazine Edge a lot. Here is a link to about 150 Edge issues. http://dl.oldgamemags.com/Multi-format%20Publications/Edge/

quinnzel
08-10-2015, 10:05 PM
I used to be addicted to gaming magazines. Game Pro was my favorite, and I used to read Game Informer from time to time because my brother got the free subscription of it from signing up for a GameStop membership.

Mostly I have fond memories attached to Game Pro and Tips & Tricks.

SailingBreakerAdmiral
08-11-2015, 04:15 AM
Bruh y u do dis to me

George Geef
08-13-2015, 01:19 PM
I was a loyal reader of EGM from about 1998-2006.

banky
08-13-2015, 01:32 PM
There are still many copies of Nintendo Power, GameFan and the original PSM sold on ebay. One underrated magazine and console was Dreamcast. Game Informer had that one issue with an alternate red-headed Lara Croft for the original Tomb Raider.

I'd post a pic but can't find one right now.

Professor Moriarty
08-13-2015, 08:03 PM
what is this thing you call a "magazine" that you speak of?

simbob4000
08-14-2015, 01:33 AM
Why pay a subscription to get once a month what you can get every day on the Internet for free?

Because a few of them were better than what you get on the internet. God internet gaming coverage is mostly terrible.

what is this thing you call a "magazine" that you speak of?

They're like comic book looking things, but they're bigger, have more pages, and cost way less.

TheKingofRetro
08-27-2015, 09:35 AM
I grew up reading Nintendo Power back in the day and often picked up issues of GamePro, EGM, and Game Informer from local book stores and convenience stores. I absolutely loved video game magazines and wish they were still as big as they once were, but the internet killed them off as it has so many other mediums. Still, I enjoy going through old issues I've got stored away every few years and reliving the joy that they had once brought me as a kid and teen.

My favorite was probably GamePro due to it being the most available in my area, though EGM was so much bigger and has a lot more content.

gobSIDES
08-28-2015, 06:08 PM
I used to read a lot of PCGamer magazine and before a little of the official Xbox and PS magazines.

They used to be pretty fun but given how you get literally every screenshot, video, article, interview etc way way earlier online it's made them pretty pointless imo. I had stacks of PCG mag' but last year or so I took em to the dumb when I was cleaning out some of the junk in my house.