PDA

View Full Version : Forget Tony Stark's Fortune: Black Panther is Richest Superhero

CBR News
06-03-2014, 04:48 PM
Wakanda's monarch takes the top spot in "The World's Richest Superheroes" infographic, beating out the Iron Man inventor, Bruce Wayne and more.

Full article here (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=53215).

TroubleWithTrebles
06-03-2014, 04:56 PM
The amount of rare earths in Africa that China wsnts for the future of all chip and nano tech means we don't even need to read the article to agree. Since gold is getting phased out of the circuitry world.

UltraMagnetic
06-03-2014, 05:20 PM
I thought Wakanda lost a lot of it's wealth when T'Challa destroyed all the Vibranium.

WestPhillyPunisher
06-03-2014, 05:29 PM
What about Namor and all the gold he's probably looted from scores of sunken ships at the bottom of the oceans over the decades? Ditto for Aquaman.

Expletive Deleted
06-03-2014, 05:34 PM
What about Namor and all the gold he's probably looted from scores of sunken ships at the bottom of the oceans over the decades? Ditto for Aquaman.

Just based on sunken treasure, it probably wouldn't (http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/engineering/gonzo/whats-the-total-value-of-the-worlds-sunken-treasure) add up to half a trillion.

TroubleWithTrebles
06-03-2014, 05:36 PM
I thought Wakanda lost a lot of it's wealth when T'Challa destroyed all the Vibranium.

Good point, but one has to add up the cost of finding/extracting/refining the vibranium fir use as its end result, then factor in the number of buyers divided the number of global applications, factoring in again the amount of buyers who can afford it but be legitimate buyers. As opposed to the simplicity of rare earths.

GozertheGozarian
06-03-2014, 05:42 PM
When did Panther get control of Wakanda again?

FLEX HECTIC
06-03-2014, 05:48 PM
All I have to say is... It's All About The Benjamins Baby! :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu31aKUsIII

TroubleWithTrebles
06-03-2014, 05:49 PM

He's bff with Thor and Hulk and Stark and Pym. He can HAVE. Wakanda the second he decides to be 0.00001% more "proactive" than white folks are comfy with.

Expletive Deleted
06-03-2014, 05:50 PM

I don't think the article is based on current continuity.

TroubleWithTrebles
06-03-2014, 05:53 PM
I don't think the article is based on current continuity.

And current rulership of any African region defies continuity.

UltraMagnetic
06-03-2014, 06:06 PM
Good point, but one has to add up the cost of finding/extracting/refining the vibranium fir use as its end result, then factor in the number of buyers divided the number of global applications, factoring in again the amount of buyers who can afford it but be legitimate buyers. As opposed to the simplicity of rare earths.

Yea but Vibranium was their main export and Wakanda was the only place you could get it which is what made them so ridiculously wealthy. The cost of mining, refining, etc. was nothing compared to how much that stuff sold for. Sure the country had other business interest but that metal was their cash cow. I remember that after Doomwar that Wakanda had to seek help from other nations because their economy was messed up with all the Vibranium gone.

ExcelsiorPrime
06-03-2014, 06:13 PM
Altho he did not get much love from the X-men he did finance their utopia island and other rebuilds.

TroubleWithTrebles
06-03-2014, 06:13 PM
Yea but Vibranium was their main export and Wakanda was the only place you could get it which is what made them so ridiculously wealthy. The cost of mining, refining, etc. was nothing compared to how much that stuff sold for. Sure the country had other business interest but that metal was their cash cow. I remember that after Doomwar that Wakanda had to seek help from other nations because their economy was messed up with all the Vibranium gone.

Don't worry, pointless retcon for the sake of movies and toys will fix up that incongruity quick as a non retconned Flash. ;-)

Arfguy
06-03-2014, 06:58 PM
$500 billion for T'Challa and the closest runner up is Tony Stark at $100 billion?!?!

SUCK IT, Iron Man!

FLEX HECTIC
06-03-2014, 07:14 PM
He's even richer than this real life African monarch...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/17/mansa-musa-worlds-richest-man-all-time_n_1973840.html

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/entertainment-articles/25-richest-people-lived-inflation-adjusted/

My good friend and history major black sci-fi writer Ronald T. Jones has an African quiz book on the Ghana, Mali and Songhay empires which features questions and answers about this Mali emperor!

Who knows how many other African empires have attained as good or greater wealth than Mansa Musa which surely helps boost the very concept of King T'challa being the wealthiest ever even in a fictional setting!

I wonder if they adjusted his gross for things like Wakanda Design Group and other annexed assets through Wakanda's banks and high tech artillery left behind by vanquished foes in their rarely seen museums full of treasures!

Wakanda has unused oil reserves and other natural resources that could boost King T'challa to trillionaire status!

CliffHanger2
06-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Tony don't be mad just play the background for awhile.
http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q789/Bobo302/legobp_zpsbb4fb92d.jpg

King Of All Nerds
06-03-2014, 09:15 PM
Great, wish he'd finance his own movie.

Zetsubou
06-04-2014, 04:10 AM

But Wakandans still have their advanced technology which should compensate for the loss of vibranium. Wakandan technology is decades ahead of the rest of Earth except for a few individuals like Doom or Reed Richards. Only Atlantis and Attilan equal Wakanda in terms of technological advancement.

Zetsubou
06-04-2014, 04:14 AM
He's even richer than this real life African monarch...

Wakanda has unused oil reserves and other natural resources that could boost King T'challa to trillionaire status!

You know that Wakandans don't pump oil, but leave it in the ground out of respect for the environment. T'Challa would never want to make a profit in polluting the environment.

Tonamelt
06-04-2014, 05:12 AM
Yeah, but Tony has something T'Challa don't...

3 MOVIES!!!

(or 4 if you count Avengers as another Ironman movie).

CSTowle
06-04-2014, 05:59 AM
It's an interesting comic trivia fact, but I've always seen him in the class of a Doom or Namor where personal wealth is about the least interesting thing about them, and the source of almost none of their power (convenient yes, but lack of wealth wouldn't prevent them from being who they are).

TroubleWithTrebles
06-04-2014, 03:06 PM
Yeah, but Tony has something T'Challa don't...

3 MOVIES!!!

(or 4 if you count Avengers as another Ironman movie).

Quality over quantity. Black Panther's tv show was simply better.

Shawn Hopkins
06-04-2014, 05:22 PM
I don't agree. Black Panther may at times be the ruler of Wakanda, but he doesn't "own" it. It seems like Wakanda's wealth is held communally and used for the good of its citizens. It doesn't go in Panther's bank account, because he's not a tyrant.

ExcelsiorPrime
06-04-2014, 06:42 PM
Great, wish he'd finance his own movie.

A Black Panther movie will never happen. Which is alright with me..it couldn't possibly be done right in this life time..anyways.

TroubleWithTrebles
06-04-2014, 07:35 PM
I don't agree. Black Panther may at times be the ruler of Wakanda, but he doesn't "own" it. It seems like Wakanda's wealth is held communally and used for the good of its citizens. It doesn't go in Panther's bank account, because he's not a tyrant.

But that is like Stark being beholden to shareholders and execs in SI. And unlike Tony, T'Challa's family would have Items of Antiquity that could be insured for badonka-duckets.

Shawn Hopkins
06-04-2014, 10:27 PM
But that is like Stark being beholden to shareholders and execs in SI. And unlike Tony, T'Challa's family would have Items of Antiquity that could be insured for badonka-duckets.

Stark shouldn't be credited with the entire wealth of SI either, just his personal stock in it and his outside wealth. Seriously, when they do these lists fo real people they don't give Bill Gates credit for the entire value of Micrsoft, nor the Queen credit for all the wealth in England.

I think the antique items held by Panther might be valuable, but how could he ever sell them. They are Wakandan cultural treasures.

People Of The Earth
06-05-2014, 07:47 AM
Nevermind their "real" value being unknown.
I agree with you, I think such a list should be taken with a little pinch of salt.

iangould
06-11-2014, 05:07 AM
Anyone who has a time machine and is only worth $35 billion, isn't really trying.

Arundel Armor Hunter
06-11-2014, 06:39 AM
Wasn't the richest man in history a king of mediaval Mali?

iangould
06-11-2014, 06:58 AM
The Romans believed Crassus was the richest man of all time. (He was the guy who invented the fire brigade.)

Byzantine Emperor, Basil the II was staggeringly wealthy - the Bulgars had been extorting tribute from the Byzantines for centuries. He conquered Bulgaria and got it all back.

The Chinese believed that He Shen (Prime Minister in the latter part of the 18th century) was the richest man who'd ever lived. Supposedly, his private wealth at the time of his death exceeded the national treasury.

(I saw a figure quoted to the effect that He Shen was worth 800 million taels of silver - roughly a billion ounces. At current silver prices, that's "only" around $20 billion. But in pre-modern China, silver was much rarer than in the west and worth around 20% of gold. 200 million ounces of gold would be worth somewhere around $250 billion.