PDA

View Full Version : Iron Man and The Mandarin vs Doctor Doom

MichaelC
08-31-2015, 08:50 PM
Iron Man and Mandarin team up against Doom. Arena match. Classic Doom, not the current God-Doom.

Guy1
08-31-2015, 08:58 PM
Iron Man and Mandarin team up against Doom. Arena match. Classic Doom, not the current God-Doom.

Somehow, I don't see this going well for Tony.

Pendaran
08-31-2015, 10:45 PM
They don't really have a great counter to Doom throwing some magic around, the bands particularly, and he should be able to rifle them off here.

Shellhead
09-01-2015, 06:38 AM
I suppose it depends on who you mean by Classic Doom. Bronze age Dr. Doom and Iron Man were pretty closely matched, at least in Iron Man #149-150. If you mean Doom all the way up until the current continuity mess, then it looks Crimson Bands for the Doom win. Though maybe Mandarin would get a shot in first, since he seems to have pretty quick reflexes. What would stop Mandarin from putting a disintegration ray through Doom's forehead?

StupidMoniker
09-01-2015, 07:33 AM
What would stop Mandarin from putting a disintegration ray through Doom's forehead?
Doom's very high end armor and shields?

Shellhead
09-01-2015, 07:36 AM
Doom's very high end armor and shields?

Are we letting everybody have a little prep to put their shields up? Or do they default up?

MorphyVSFischer
09-01-2015, 07:43 AM
Are we letting everybody have a little prep to put their shields up? Or do they default up?

Doom's shield is always on.

Shellhead
09-01-2015, 09:40 AM
Doom's shield is always on.

In the past, Doom had to lower his force field in order to attack. I guess he must have fixed that bug.

Captain Morgan
09-01-2015, 12:09 PM
In the past, Doom had to lower his force field in order to attack. I guess he must have fixed that bug.

Like a lot of high end tech/energy/magic folks, he's got automatic defenses but can create more powerful force fields by actively focusing on them. Same thing with Iron Man.

Powerboy
09-01-2015, 12:25 PM

He also sometimes had energy limits.

I did a thread about this a while back just to find some feats that undeniably show Doom having auto-shields. The consensus was that he does but I think the actual feats were kind of ambiguous because he always knew there was about to be an attack before it hit so it could have been automatic or an activation.

But, by that argument, Iron-Man was also in some situations where it would be implied he didn't have auto-shields and so was the Mandarin. Generally, Doom seems to have a certain level of shielding that is always on but has to increase the power actively.

In the early stories, despite the hype, the Mandarin was an Iron-Man level opponent and not even that. With the advantage of totally one-sided prep, the home field advantage and Iron-Man having armor or heart malfunctions before the fight even started, the Mandarin still only broke even or got his butt kicked.

It also depends upon what you mean by "God Doom". Doom has been a walking deus ex machina since the first Secret Wars. He's a long way from the guy that got beaten by Ben Grimm in a straight fight and had to slither away in humiliation. He's been "God Doom" for 30 years though not compared to what he is right now.

I'm guessing "Classic Doom" includes everything other than current Doom so I'm inclined to see him taking this.