PDA

View Full Version : What Spider-Man stories could be remade?

Mister Mets
09-25-2015, 09:24 AM
Are there any famous Spider-Man stories you'd like to see retold? If so, who would you like to see as the writer and artist?

The top contender for me is Maximum Carnage. It's a popular story that wasn't well crafted for a variety of reasons (kinda long, four writers of varying quality) although the central narrative is actually pretty strong, as Celgress had noted in another thread.

I might be alone here but for all its sillier aspects Maximum Carnage was based around a solid concept - Peter Parker/Spider-Man's unwillingness to cross the moral line of intentionally killing a foe no matter how great a threat said foe posed which clashed perfectly with Eddie Brock/Venom's protect "innocents" at all costs philosophy.

For writing, it might be unrealistic to get Jason Aaron on this book, but he's a good "type" for it (Writer who doesn't disdain the 90s, has a good sense of Spider-Man's voice, can depict nasty bad guys and write a TPB length story with a complete beginning, middle and end.) Someone like Mike Deodato (gritty sensibility with superheroes) would be a great artist for it.

One of the highest profile comic book remakes was Spider-Man Blue, which retold parts of the acclaimed Lee/ Romita run, so it's also certainly possible to have someone retell a good story.

ManSinha
09-25-2015, 09:29 AM
Should replies be limited to Spidey's world or are you talking cross over requests as well?

Mister Mets
09-25-2015, 09:32 AM
Should replies be limited to Spidey's world or are you talking cross over requests as well?

It's about Spider-Man and the various characters who are part of his world (Venom, Black Cat, Cloak & Dagger, etc.)

Frontier
09-25-2015, 09:39 AM
I'd like to see if anyone could take the Clone Saga and make into something coherent, enjoyable, and does right by all the main characters involved. About the only writer I can think of who could pull it off would probably be Greg Weisman.

Heck, I'd just have Greg Weisman adapt/remake everything ;).

Daniel22
09-25-2015, 09:42 AM
Are there any famous Spider-Man stories you'd like to see retold? If so, who would you like to see as the writer and artist?

The top contender for me is Maximum Carnage. It's a popular story that wasn't well crafted for a variety of reasons (kinda long, four writers of varying quality) although the central narrative is actually pretty strong, as Celgress had noted in another thread.

For writing, it might be unrealistic to get Jason Aaron on this book, but he's a good "type" for it (Writer who doesn't disdain the 90s, has a good sense of Spider-Man's voice, can depict nasty bad guys and write a TPB length story with a complete beginning, middle and end.) Someone like Mike Deodato (gritty sensibility with superheroes) would be a great artist for it.

One of the highest profile comic book remakes was Spider-Man Blue, which retold parts of the acclaimed Lee/ Romita run, so it's also certainly possible to have someone retell a good story.

I'm torn. "Maximum Carnage" hit me right in my comics sweet-spot, age-wise. I was ten or eleven, devouring comics, playing the video games...(which...sounds a lot like...right now, actually...) So the nostalgia factor would be through the roof. Awesome hypothetical creative team, also. So those are plusses.

I'm just really tired of constant remakes and re-imaginings, in entertainment in general. Reboots, updates, prequels, tie-ins... I love the eighties and nineties as much as the next guy, but at a certain point I lose interest and want something original. Seeing G.I Joe, Transformers and the Turtles make comebacks was awesome. I'm not sure I want to see Mr. Belvedere and MASK get the same treatment. I'd be hesitant to support a project like the one you are suggesting, because I wouldn't want to send the message that I want more of that kind of story.

If it were going to happen, I would like to see an updated, modern, adult take on the J.M DeMattias stuff on "Spectacular". I really think the psychological aspects of his run, especially with the Osborns, could work really well with modern techniques and writing styles. If Gillen, Hopeless, Simone, or anyone of their ilk wrote it, I think it would be fantastic.

One
09-25-2015, 09:55 AM
One More Day.

Keeping all of the aspects (selling his marriage to Mephisto to save Aunt May) so it stays canon, but changing how it was told. Mephisto could cheat the Parkers out of it, or force them to take the choice. There are hundreds of ways you can retell this story in a less distasteful fashion and not have Peter and Mary-Jane blindly selling their marriage to keep Aunt May alive. At its core, it could make for a heart-rending story of two people who are losing someone but are unwilling to lose more, but are tricked into it by the devil. JMS's writing was good, if not the plot, and it made me feel sad for the marriage ending.

JBatmanFan05
09-25-2015, 10:37 AM
Can't say I'm too fond of comic remakes. There's retellings (vs remakes) that do something new enough, and sometimes I like those (but moreso for Golden Age stories being retold).

As this topic seems to be about remakes and retellings:
One More Day - like One describes
Clone Saga - a much better longer remake, I'd have an then-contemporary writer like J. M. DeMatteis do it

Cheesedique
09-25-2015, 11:08 AM
I don't see much value in retelling old Spider-Man stories. There's already far too much obsession with the past in comics.

I'd like to see if anyone could take the Clone Saga and make into something coherent, enjoyable, and does right by all the main characters involved. About the only writer I can think of who could pull it off would probably be Greg Weisman.

Except they did already retell the Clone Saga in a succinct 6-issue mini a few years ago (the DeFalco / Mackie one).

Mauled
09-25-2015, 12:57 PM
Not so much a story but a part. Spiderman in the civil war book turns from Ironmans team because he was shocked over Goliaths killing by Thor clone. Yet Punisher murders 2 people right in front of him and he barely bats a (metaphorical since his mask is on) eyelid. The least that could have been shown is a bit of self reflection on if he made the right choice or not but nope nothing.

Dr. Skeleton
09-25-2015, 01:13 PM

Only if they erase Peter acting like a lunatic and hitting MJ and saying Ben Reily's the real Spidey.

Tuck
09-25-2015, 01:42 PM
Well, I mean, Ultimate Spider-Man remade a lot of stories already.

Or are we looking at things more narrowly defined in some way?

AJpyro
09-25-2015, 02:51 PM

Or are we looking at things more narrowly defined in some way?

Actually you have a point. USM was all about remaking SPidey.

But I'd pick Sins Past.

Aruran.
09-25-2015, 03:10 PM
Yeah USM kinda covers the whole remade angle, and really any movie adaption ends up being a remade version of an iconic story.

I'd put The Wedding as one that should be remade.
-Grim Hunt too, I thought the message being sent got lost at the end.

Mister Mets
09-25-2015, 03:37 PM
Yeah USM kinda covers the whole remade angle, and really any movie adaption ends up being a remade version of an iconic story.

I'd put The Wedding as one that should be remade.
-Grim Hunt too, I thought the message being sent got lost at the end.I don't know about the wedding, given OMIT, but the engagement could get a Spider-Man: Blue style retelling. That was a hectic time for Peter (Ned Leeds died and was outed as the Hobgoblin, Black Cat cheated on him with the Foreigner, MJ's sister got framed.)

Or are we looking at things more narrowly defined in some way?The Ultimate books usually did things differently than the original. It would be a different version of Spider-Man's first encounter with the Sinister Six, rather than a retelling.

I'm torn. "Maximum Carnage" hit me right in my comics sweet-spot, age-wise. I was ten or eleven, devouring comics, playing the video games...(which...sounds a lot like...right now, actually...) So the nostalgia factor would be through the roof. Awesome hypothetical creative team, also. So those are plusses.

I'm just really tired of constant remakes and re-imaginings, in entertainment in general. Reboots, updates, prequels, tie-ins... I love the eighties and nineties as much as the next guy, but at a certain point I lose interest and want something original. Seeing G.I Joe, Transformers and the Turtles make comebacks was awesome. I'm not sure I want to see Mr. Belvedere and MASK get the same treatment. I'd be hesitant to support a project like the one you are suggesting, because I wouldn't want to send the message that I want more of that kind of story.

If it were going to happen, I would like to see an updated, modern, adult take on the J.M DeMattias stuff on "Spectacular". I really think the psychological aspects of his run, especially with the Osborns, could work really well with modern techniques and writing styles. If Gillen, Hopeless, Simone, or anyone of their ilk wrote it, I think it would be fantastic.

DeMatteis' run on Spectacular was pretty adult already. It's aged pretty well since he didn't rely on the stuff that marked oldfashioned comics as different from the modern cinematic comics (thought bubbles, third-person narration.)

Aruran.
09-25-2015, 04:17 PM
I don't know about the wedding, given OMIT, but the engagement could get a Spider-Man: Blue style retelling. That was a hectic time for Peter (Ned Leeds died and was outed as the Hobgoblin, Black Cat cheated on him with the Foreigner, MJ's sister got framed.)

I think it's just easier to redo The Wedding cause it was rushed.
I dunno if there would ever be a real reason to ever redo OMIT. It's the explanation of a retcon, unless the retelling was just a look back into Peter and MJ's dynamic at that point.

Mister Mets
09-25-2015, 04:21 PM
I think it's just easier to redo The Wedding cause it was rushed.
I dunno if there would ever be a real reason to ever redo OMIT. It's the explanation of a retcon, unless the retelling was just a look back into Peter and MJ's dynamic at that point.

To be clear, I don't think OMIT's worth redoing.

I was thinking of a mini-series covering the proposal.

It could also be interesting to see an untold story set immediately after, since we've never seen comics in which they were just engaged.

August_Gorman
09-25-2015, 04:33 PM
Only if they erase Peter acting like a lunatic and hitting MJ and saying Ben Reilly's the real Spidey.

And Judas Traveller, Scrier(s), the army of half-cooked Spidey-clones, and Spidercide.

SuperiorIronman
09-26-2015, 06:44 AM
That time he fought ironman 2020 though I'm not sure if that counts as an ironman or spiderman story. Either way, given that it is getting really close to 2020, the Marvel universe would look correct and rather close to what the actual 2020 could look like, and it would be interesting to see how modern continuity would be used with a fight between modern Arno Stark and mainstream black suited spiderman. Especially if this is reflective on no one dies and the original ending of that(Ironman 2020's) story is kept intact.

Coolatta
09-26-2015, 10:02 AM

Google: The Real Clone saga. Its good, keeps as close as possible to the original story they wanted to tell with the Clone Sage. Spoiler: it doesn't matter which is the clone & which is the original

The Great Ghostman
09-29-2015, 02:36 AM
Google: The Real Clone saga. Its good, keeps as close as possible to the original story they wanted to tell with the Clone Sage. Spoiler: it doesn't matter which is the clone & which is the original

I'm glad that everyone is putting up the Clone Saga, though. It resulted in two of my favourite Marvel characters- Ben and Kaine.

Zeitgeist
09-29-2015, 02:44 AM
I'd love a current take on Sin Eater (especially with how terrorism-bent the media is these days (but then again I guess Massacre kind of fit that role)), but overall I don't see many positives in remaking stories wholesale. Tell new ones.

Sparko
09-29-2015, 06:33 AM
I don't think it's that much of a crime to retell old stories, but like Zeitgeist said:

...overall I don't see many positives in remaking stories wholesale. Tell new ones.

Let's tell new stories! Tell good stories inspired by old ones if need be, but tell new stories. And hopefully Marvel will keep reprinting the old stuff in nice formats like the Epic Collection Line.

Scott Taylor
09-29-2015, 10:12 AM
There are some stories I wouldn't mind seeing retold just to modernize them and introduce them to a new audience. Since the Romita era, for instance, many of those stories have become outdated and inaccessible for younger audiences. But many of the stories themselves are quite good and worthy of retelling.

Honestly not seeing the point of redoing OMD or any of the more controversial tales. For most of those, it wasn't really the manner of telling that irked me so much as the overall plot.

Anubhavkumarc
09-29-2015, 10:19 AM
Redo to explain Clone Saga and why Pete went into retirement. Considering MJ and Pete were not married and baby was not an option as stated in OMIT.

Daniel22
09-29-2015, 10:44 AM
I don't know about the wedding, given OMIT, but the engagement could get a Spider-Man: Blue style retelling. That was a hectic time for Peter (Ned Leeds died and was outed as the Hobgoblin, Black Cat cheated on him with the Foreigner, MJ's sister got framed.)

The Ultimate books usually did things differently than the original. It would be a different version of Spider-Man's first encounter with the Sinister Six, rather than a retelling.

DeMatteis' run on Spectacular was pretty adult already. It's aged pretty well since he didn't rely on the stuff that marked oldfashioned comics as different from the modern cinematic comics (thought bubbles, third-person narration.)

Oh yeah, it was, that's what I was getting at... It was already pretty ahead of it's time, and stood out from the rest because of it. It wouldn't have as far to go to "catch up" with current styles. I was also thinking "adult" as far as content and themes. He pushed it pretty far, for a mainstream, A-list book, so I would love to see how far it could go now, with writers able to write to a hard pg-13, whereas he was kind of limited to a PG. Not violence and sex just for the sake of it, but to provide a richer, more grown up take.

MJS
09-29-2015, 11:22 AM
One day, I'd like to see Superior retold. But cut down to be tighter with less meandering and repetition. Written by someone who can explore the psychological effects of this event on Peter, the supporting cast and Otto, instead of cartoony heel turns. Hopefully in the retelling, Peter can fight to reclaim his body and life, instead of Otto handing it back on a silver platter.

Spider-Verse is another, with a writer who can explore the villains' motivations. Perhaps the villains could be more ambiguous and in line with JMS's original Morlun and Jim Butcher's novel, instead of cartoony mustache twirlers. A writer can have fun exploring Peter's reaction to Spider-Gwen, Peter's reaction to May and Benjy, Peter's reaction to seeing Otto again knowing what he knows, etc. and it would be interesting to read. Also, Peter's reaction to the Web of Life, considering Peter is a man of science and, at least in the past, hasn't been comfortable with the mystical side of his powers.

Aruran.
09-29-2015, 08:21 PM
I finally got one now.

A remake of ASM 96-98 as a MAX series. The whole drug abuse with Harry Osborn.
Even though it's so iconic for the whole losing Seal of Approval and being a great story, it's really just goes looking at an iceberg for the whole idea of those types of stories.
And really I would just want a gritty, dark version of that story.

Scott Taylor
09-30-2015, 11:41 AM
After thinking about it a little more, it might be good to have the Hobgoblin Saga redone to be cleaner. I know we got the Goblins at the Gate/Hobgoblin Lives stuff to explain story inconsistencies. But it might be cool to have the whole thing redone ala the Real Clone Saga treatment.

whiteshark
09-30-2015, 11:37 PM
Maximum Carnage is a good option,as mentioned by Mister Mets to be remade due reasons already said.
Others than that ...
Dunno,i think that over all the Spidey stories had many great artists,so many great stories i remember i dont see much the point to be remade.
But my choice would be the first Spider-Man stories in the black suit post original Secret Wars.
Would be cool to see artists with a modern art style to remade those stories that apeared in Amazing Spider-Man,Spectacular Spider-Man and Web of Spider-Man way back.

Things Fall Apart
10-01-2015, 11:50 AM
I think there are some interesting ideas at play in The Other, but the actual story was a mess. I'd like to see that redone, but by one creator with a singular vision.

Darthfury78
10-05-2015, 04:11 PM
Kraven's Last Hunt that would have included Tigra instead of Vermin.

Todd McFarlane's Torment that would have featured Spider-man x Tigra working together against Calypso and The Lizard....

Darthfury78
10-06-2015, 10:11 PM
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/spiderman6006.jpg

Mister Mets
10-11-2015, 08:35 AM
I think there are some interesting ideas at play in The Other, but the actual story was a mess. I'd like to see that redone, but by one creator with a singular vision.

That's an interesting choice. It could incorporate follow-ups in Spider Verse and Scarlet Spider.

hobo
10-14-2015, 01:08 AM
I've never really wanted to see a story retold in comics, particularly a bad story... erased maybe. I could see being interested in having an old story retold, where the material was good but the writing is dated. But there's about 200 issues of that in the ultimate universe, if I want that.

But retold in say, a movie? Sin Eater with a younger spider-man would be a great story, and go against type for marvel films -- not a lot of room for some kind of whedon-y snapper-banter thing.

Mister Mets
12-14-2015, 06:50 AM
Redo to explain Clone Saga and why Pete went into retirement. Considering MJ and Pete were not married and baby was not an option as stated in OMIT.

Maybe not. If May "died" suddenly and Peter lost his powers, the baby would be an option, and there might not have been a shotgun wedding.