PDA

View Full Version : The Beatles

Buried Alien
04-30-2014, 11:51 PM
Back at the old Music Forum, we had a Beatles Discussion Thread for all discussion related to the Fab Four. It didn't see much action in recent years, but given that this year is the 50th anniversary of the Beatles' historic first appearance on the ED SULLIVAN SHOW and the 50th anniversary of the A HARD DAY'S NIGHT, this might be a good opportunity to revive discussion of the four lads from Liverpool.

I'm hoping to go to Paul McCartney's show at Dodger Stadium this summer, but tickets will neither be cheap nor easy to come by.

http://4ump3.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/TheBeatles-AHardDaysNight.jpg

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)

Spike-X
05-01-2014, 12:26 AM
I like The Beatles.

Enigmatic Undead
05-01-2014, 12:28 AM
Goo goo goo joob, goo goo goo goo joob!

Buried Alien
05-01-2014, 12:44 AM
I'm probably one of the biggest Beatlemaniacs at CBR, and though I like music from their entire career, I have a special fondness for the early rock 'n roll stuff such as "I Saw Her Standing There" and "I Want To Hold Your Hand." The later material was more sophisticated, but the raw energy of the early stuff provides a unique buzz.

"I Saw Her Standing There," Washington Coliseum, 1964 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sybI6FiuKjk)

Clarkie
05-01-2014, 01:48 AM
I re-read 'Revolution in the the Head' by Ian McDonald recently, and had forgotten quite a lot of interesting nuggets of info it had amongst the opinion. It's essentially a detailed recording by recording description to the background, writing, performing, and studio techniques for every song. My favourite nugget at the moment was that John Lennon pushed and pushed until the end for the medley to be the first side of 'Abbey Road', would've made that album rather different. I'm a very big Beatles fan.

the4thpip
05-01-2014, 01:51 AM
Wait, no music forum?

WestPhillyPunisher
05-01-2014, 02:03 AM
Cool! I'll swing by here often! I'm a Beatles fan too!

ish kabbible
05-01-2014, 02:26 AM
I was 10 years old when the Beatles landed in America for the first time. My appreciation of pop music and maturing taste revolved around the Fab Four. Bought their Vee Jay and Capitol 45s.My first LP purchase was The Beatles'65.
There were 4 things that were major influences in my life from the 60s. Beatles,Bond (and the spys who came after),Baseball (thanks to Mickey Mantle) and,of course,comic books.Many memories,memorabilia and moments of weirdness associated with them. I'll come back and share later

Including my seeing The Beatles perform live in concert

Buried Alien
05-01-2014, 08:21 AM

I would have loved to, but it was impossible for me because the band had broken up two years before I was born.

Kevin Davis
05-01-2014, 08:52 AM
I'm probably one of the biggest Beatlemaniacs at CBR, and though I like music from their entire career, I have a special fondness for the early rock 'n roll stuff such as "I Saw Her Standing There" and "I Want To Hold Your Hand." The later material was more sophisticated, but the raw energy of the early stuff provides a unique buzz.

Agreed. One of my favorite Beatles tracks is their cover of Chuck Berry's "Rock & Roll Music." I find it really hard to pin down a favorite Beatles song, album, or era because of the band's uncanny progress from record to record, but I agree that there was an inimitable energy to those early rock/blues songs.

Fun Fact: My wife and I danced to "I Saw Her Standing There" at our wedding.

Funner Fact: I'm not sure if I ever mentioned this to you or not because we've only ever met in passing, but I LOVE the name Buried Alien. Very obscure. I remember thinking how clever that reference was when the issue first came out.

ish kabbible
05-01-2014, 08:53 AM
It's weird to recall the media-created rivalries when The Beatles arrived in America in Feb 1964. Right behind them was another English rock band,The Dave Clark Five, who hit the US charts bigtime in 1964.They too had a string of hits and a few #1 songs (Glad All Over,Bits and Pieces,Because etc). I recall many a newspaper article at that time playing up a rivalry between the two bands.In fact I recall a glossy magazine on the newstands called The Beatles vs The Dave Clark Five. Wish I had a copy of it
When the first US album from Capitol Records was released Meet The Beatles it was basically material from their 2nd British album.Vee Jay Records had the rights to the earliest of Beatle songs and made a fortune releasing them as 45s. Vee Jay also had the rights to The Four Seasons when they debuted. Vee Jay was also a corrupt outfit,cheating their artists of royalties. The Four Seasons sued to get out of their contract. The rights to the Beatles were set to expire by 1965 and revert to Capitol. Before these things happened Vee Jay continuously relesed the same product in different configurations to maximize earnings before those songs disappeared from their control.One thing they did was release an album called The Beatles vs The Four Seasons,, a combination of both groups.I'm sure this album nowadays is a collector's item

Jim Kelly
05-01-2014, 08:53 AM
Have fun at the McCartney show. In 2010, I saw him in San Francisco and in 2012 in Vancouver. Both great shows. He really gives it all to the fans, never leaving the stage for a second--performing for over two hours straight (seems like three).

I totally lost it, at the Vancouver show, when in the final encore he performed "Mull of Kintyre" with a full pipe band. Probably the greatest concert moment of my entire life. Chances of him performing "Mull of Kintyre" in concert are slim. He rarely performs it unless he can get a good pipe band to back him up. And he doesn't often perform it in the U.S.--because unlike everywhere else it wasn't a big hit for him there when it came out (American radio stations flipped the record and played the other side instead--"Girl's School").

Buried Alien
05-01-2014, 08:58 AM
Funner Fact: I'm not sure if I ever mentioned this to you or not because we've only ever met in passing, but I LOVE the name Buried Alien. Very obscure. I remember thinking how clever that reference was when the issue first came out.

I picked it up on my third or fourth day at CBR, having used my real name (or a slight variant thereof) for the first few days. I'm a Barry Allen Flash fan, and first read about Mark Gruenwald's "Buried Alien" parody character during those first few days at the forum. It became clear to me at that point what my Userid at CBR would from that point would forever be.

Buried Alien
05-01-2014, 08:59 AM
I totally lost it, at the Vancouver show, when in the final encore he performed "Mull of Kintyre" with a full pipe band. Probably the greatest concert moment of my entire life. Chances of him performing "Mull of Kintyre" in concert are slim. He rarely performs it unless he can get a good pipe band to back him up. And he doesn't often perform it in the U.S.--because unlike everywhere else it wasn't a big hit for him there when it came out (American radio stations flipped the record and played the other side instead--"Girl's School").

I've read that "Mull" actually outsold "She Loves You" and "Hey Jude" in the UK, but the song had virtually no presence in the U.S.

byc
05-01-2014, 09:11 AM
Interestingly enough, I never saw this on the old forums, but I'm not much of a music person so I wouldn't browse in that area very much.

I like the Beatles, not a super fan or anything, and there's plenty of songs I haven't heard by them.

For some odd reason, I LOVE "Nowhere Man". I also think Ringo was a good drummer.

I LOVE "LOVE" by Cirque. I've seen it like 6 times.

Buried Alien
05-01-2014, 09:16 AM
I also think Ringo was a good drummer.

Ringo was the perfect fit for their style, where the drumming (and all the instrumental parts) had to fit the composition rather than be a vehicle for virtuosity. Ringo didn't have the sophistication of a Keith Moon, John Bonham, or Ginger Baker, but didn't really need it to give the Beatles' records the right percussive kick. If you compare Ringo's drumming to Pete Best's in the early days, it's evident that the band made the right choice replacing Best with Ringo.

byc
05-01-2014, 09:25 AM
Ringo was the perfect fit for their style, where the drumming (and all the instrumental parts) had to fit the composition rather than be a vehicle for virtuosity. Ringo didn't have the sophistication of a Keith Moon, John Bonham, or Ginger Baker, but didn't really need it to give the Beatles' record the right percussive kick. If you compare Ringo's drumming to Pete Best's in the early days, it's evident that the band made the right choice replacing Best with Ringo.

I don't know much about music other than listening to it, but I know what you mean when referring to other drummers, especially Keith Moon. He was a madman. It's amazing how drums can sound like a lead instrument when he played it. I love the Who. My favorite band, and it's so weird but awesome that somehow they created magic when they combined their instruments. Magic, so magic.

JasonTodd428
05-01-2014, 09:33 AM

"I Saw Her Standing There," Washington Coliseum, 1964 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sybI6FiuKjk)

The Beatles are one of my favorite bands and nothing can top them. I pretty much like everything they've done but the two songs you mentioned are among my favorites precisely because that raw energy. And now I can't get "I want to Hold Your Hand" outta my head. Thanks!

Also I see what you did there in your sig. :p

Robert White
05-01-2014, 09:39 AM
I'm a big Beatles fan and have every album. I've long held that The White Album was the first mainstream "alternative" rock album. I've heard it said that some successful groups basically based their entire careers on individual songs. (Hyperbole, but it certainly seems like it at times.)

I admit that I'm a MUCH bigger fan of their 1965-70 period, but I do dip into their early stuff when I'm in the mood for a more classic rock & roll experience.

Buried Alien
05-01-2014, 09:39 AM
The Beatles are one of my favorite bands and nothing can top them. I pretty much like everything they've done but the two songs you mentioned are among my favorites precisely because that raw energy. And now I can't get "I want to Hold Your Hand" outta my head. Thanks!

The chord changes on "I Want To Hold Your Hand" are pretty wild. If you're accustomed to typical blues-style chord progressions (A-Major, E-Major, D-Major, B-7, etc.), which most early rock 'n roll songs follow, "I Want To Hold Your Hand" offers quite a few surprises. The song uses those chords, but in a sequence that wasn't common to rock 'n roll, and with a few jazzy chords that seemed to come out of nowhere. It's an exciting song, but also one that's surprisingly sophisticated in its construction.

MyriVerse
05-01-2014, 09:41 AM
Thanks to a sort of hippie mom, I think The Beatles were my earliest conception of what music is. It's very possible I knew "Mother Nature's Son" before Mother Goose. Well, I don't think the dates line up exactly right, but I like to think so, anyway.

Buried Alien
05-01-2014, 09:41 AM
Also I see what you did there in your sig. :p

Got to preserve those things worth preserving.

Michael P
05-01-2014, 09:45 AM
The chord changes on "I Want To Hold Your Hand" are pretty wild. If you're accustomed to typical blues-style chord progressions (A-Major, E-Major, D-Major, B-7, etc.), which most early rock 'n roll songs follow, "I Want To Hold Your Hand" offers quite a few surprises. The song uses those chords, but in a sequence that wasn't common to rock 'n roll, and with a few jazzy chords that seemed to come out of nowhere. It's an exciting song, but also one that's surprisingly sophisticated in its construction.

And the thing I love about the Beatles is, they didn't have any background in musical theory. It was literally Paul and John sitting in John's mom's bathtub, strumming their guitars and saying "What if we did this?" The songs weren't even written down musically until George Martin did it.

Buried Alien
05-01-2014, 09:49 AM
And the thing I love about the Beatles is, they didn't have any background in musical theory.

In retrospect, that probably helped them achieve what they did. They came in with fewer preconceptions about the "right" way to do music (as trained musicians would), which enabled them to try stuff that would have seemed crazy to trained musicians.

JasonTodd428
05-01-2014, 09:56 AM

I grew up listening to a lot of rock 'n roll from the fifties and sixties. My parents had a pretty extensive record collection that I later inherited and most of the time I prefer a lot of those songs over most of what's put out nowadays. The Beatles stand out to me and this particular song does as well because of what you said here. I like that they experimented with the "norm" to create something new.

JasonTodd428
05-01-2014, 09:58 AM
Got to preserve those things worth preserving.

:) (10 chara.)

Clarkie
05-01-2014, 09:58 AM
I've never understood the faint praise Ringo gets about his drumming from some quarters, 'Rain' and 'ticket to ride' have a great powerful swing to them for example. I could go on, but won't.

JasonTodd428
05-01-2014, 10:00 AM
I don't understand it either. The guy was brilliant.

Buried Alien
05-01-2014, 10:05 AM
I've never understood the faint praise Ringo gets about his drumming from some quarters, 'Rain' and 'ticket to ride' have a great powerful swing to them for example. I could go on, but won't.

In terms of sheer power and ferocity, Ringo doesn't take a back seat to any of his peers. He could bash the skins as hard as anybody (one of the salient features of his drumming). He'd be the first to admit, however, that some of the things his peers were capable of, he couldn't reproduce. As George Martin once observed, Ringo couldn't do a drum roll to save his life.

That said, anybody who's worked with Ringo will also tell you that no other drummer is more reliable in holding down the beat or is more adept at playing to best fit the needs of the composition.

Clarkie
05-01-2014, 11:06 AM
As George Martin once observed, Ringo couldn't do a drum roll to save his life.

that said, 'Day in the Life', 'the End', and a few others are great examples of when he could. He does a lot of 'backwards' fills too, rolling off the toms in reverse order onto the hi-hat and such.

C_Miller
05-01-2014, 03:12 PM
In terms of sheer power and ferocity, Ringo doesn't take a back seat to any of his peers. He could bash the skins as hard as anybody (one of the salient features of his drumming). He'd be the first to admit, however, that some of the things his peers were capable of, he couldn't reproduce. As George Martin once observed, Ringo couldn't do a drum roll to save his life.

That said, anybody who's worked with Ringo will also tell you that no other drummer is more reliable in holding down the beat or is more adept at playing to best fit the needs of the composition.

He and Max Weinberg (the drummer of my favorite band, The E Street Band) come from the same school of thought. They serve the song before servicing themselves. That's the job of the rhythm section. He and Paul were perfectly fused with each other musically. John and George were good instrumentalists, but Ringo and Paul really made the band something special without even taking the songs into account.

that said, 'Day in the Life', 'the End', and a few others are great examples of when he could. He does a lot of 'backwards' fills too, rolling off the toms in reverse order onto the hi-hat and such.

Neither of those songs show a roll. Yeah he does some fills, but that's not what a roll is. A drum roll would be this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzAfTmC3It0

I don't know if Ringo could do them or not, but that technique is not displayed in either of those songs.

Clarkie
05-01-2014, 03:16 PM
Neither of those songs show a roll. Yeah he does some fills, but that's not what a roll is. A drum roll would be this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzAfTmC3It0

I don't know if Ringo could do them or not, but that technique is not displayed in either of those songs.

I get the distinction you're making, comes of being a bass player originally, confusing fills and rolls (but not the filling of rolls, mmm Bacon and Mayo) :o .Mind you, he faced a lot of criticism for not locking in the bass drum with the bass notes from the Bass guitar, he made the rhythm section swing more, that lock of Bass note and Bass Drum didn't really come back much until the advent of the drum machine.

Anyway, as far as my personal taste goes, I flit between Revolver, Sgt Peppers, and Abbey Road. Controversy alert! - I love the White Album, but it's a bit too all over the place to be truly cohesive as an album. I love it all though.

Buried Alien
05-01-2014, 03:59 PM
He and Max Weinberg (the drummer of my favorite band, The E Street Band) come from the same school of thought. They serve the song before servicing themselves. That's the job of the rhythm section. He and Paul were perfectly fused with each other musically. John and George were good instrumentalists, but Ringo and Paul really made the band something special without even taking the songs into account.

Somewhere on YouTube, there's a recording of the rhythm track for "Something" featuring only Paul's bass and Ringo's drums. It's pretty cool.

SpOck
05-01-2014, 04:07 PM
I don't know much about music other than listening to it, but I know what you mean when referring to other drummers, especially Keith Moon. He was a madman. It's amazing how drums can sound like a lead instrument when he played it. I love the Who. My favorite band, and it's so weird but awesome that somehow they created magic when they combined their instruments. Magic, so magic.

I love The Who too! Keith Moon is one of my favorite drummers.

SpOck
05-01-2014, 04:11 PM
Interestingly enough, I never saw this on the old forums, but I'm not much of a music person so I wouldn't browse in that area very much.

I like the Beatles, not a super fan or anything, and there's plenty of songs I haven't heard by them.

For some odd reason, I LOVE "Nowhere Man". I also think Ringo was a good drummer.

I LOVE "LOVE" by Cirque. I've seen it like 6 times.
I also really like "Nowhere Man." Sometimes I'll just be sitting on a couch and it pops into my head for no reason whatsoever (actually, that happens to me with almost all Beatles songs). The only other other band where that happens to me is Led Zeppelin.

Clarkie
05-01-2014, 04:13 PM

Helter Skelter was meant to out-Who the Who, didn't work, I do like the song though.

The Darknight Detective
05-01-2014, 04:35 PM
I actually became a fan of the Beatles from the old '60s cartoon that used to air on WNEW during the early '70s. I didn't realize they were an actual group (recently dissolved), however, and forgot about them and the cartoon until circa 1977. A friend of mine reintroduced them to me with a tape he made of their greatest hits that he would play on our bus stop. This time, I was hooked for good and they became my favorite rock group (still are to this day, though Elvis is my favorite artist - take that, Pulp Fiction! :)).

The Darknight Detective
05-01-2014, 04:44 PM

They're in my top-five rock groups. Besides them and the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin and U2 are on the list.

Lightsabretooth
05-01-2014, 04:46 PM
Best version of one of their best songs...

Let it Be live. Yoko was even there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne0UTdd4FZo

The Darknight Detective
05-01-2014, 05:23 PM
Ringo was the perfect fit for their style, where the drumming (and all the instrumental parts) had to fit the composition rather than be a vehicle for virtuosity. Ringo didn't have the sophistication of a Keith Moon, John Bonham, or Ginger Baker, but didn't really need it to give the Beatles' record the right percussive kick. If you compare Ringo's drumming to Pete Best's in the early days, it's evident that the band made the right choice replacing Best with Ringo.

Agreed.

Ringo got a lot of grief due to his frantic drumming early on, but it suited the Beatles style at the time. As the group matured, he was allowed to show the full breadth of his skill.

SpOck
05-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Helter Skelter was meant to out-Who the Who, didn't work, I do like the song though.

I personally like the U2 version of Helter Skelter better.

SpOck
05-01-2014, 05:32 PM
They're in my top-five rock groups. Besides them and the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin and U2 are on the list.
Are you my clone? Or long-lost brother?

Clarkie
05-01-2014, 05:36 PM
I personally like the U2 version of Helter Skelter better.

If we're going for covers or re-usage, I prefer Dangermouse's version of Jay-Z's '99 Problems' on 'the Grey Album'.

The Darknight Detective
05-01-2014, 05:41 PM
If we're going for covers or re-usage, I prefer Dangermouse's version of Jay-Z's '99 Problems' on 'the Grey Album'.

The Beatles made quite a few great covers themselves. I prefer their Please Mr. Postman and You Really Got a Hold on Me better than the fine originals, while Paul McCartney almost topped Little Richard himself on the Fab Four's take on Long Tall Sally.

The Darknight Detective
05-01-2014, 05:45 PM
Are you my clone? Or long-lost brother?

Heh. You really can't go wrong with those five.

ish kabbible
05-01-2014, 05:54 PM
Favorite covers done by the Beatles include Twist and Shout and Boys. Boys was originally a B-side single for The Shirelles and Twist and Shout was best known by The Isley Brothers

Michael P
05-01-2014, 06:02 PM
Screw it, I'm gonna say it: I like Octopus's Garden.

Clarkie
05-01-2014, 06:06 PM

Good for you!

I meant covers of Helter Skelter by the way. Favourite Beatles cover is probably 'Boys' or 'Mr Postman' both wonderfully excitable, favourite cover of a Beatles track is Wes Montgomery's version of Day in the Life, that and the stuff off Paul's Boutique by the Beastie Boys.

Buried Alien
05-01-2014, 08:54 PM

It's an OK song in low dosages. I prefer Ringo's *other* Beatles era composition: "Don't Pass Me By."

Buried Alien
05-01-2014, 08:56 PM

They didn't successfully clone the Who, but they might have accidentally invented something entirely new.

Zero Hunter
05-01-2014, 10:01 PM
The funny thing is that as I have gotten older some bands have just lost there appeal to me like Zeppelin and the Who, but I have never gotten tired of the Beatles.

howyadoin
05-01-2014, 10:11 PM
Screw it, I'm gonna say it: I like Octopus's Garden.I like the underwater guitar solo.

Or was that "Yellow Submarine"? I'm old.

Buried Alien
05-01-2014, 10:50 PM
I like the underwater guitar solo.

Or was that "Yellow Submarine"? I'm old.

Both had watery sound effects, but "Octopus' Garden" was the one with the guitar solo.

Spike-X
05-01-2014, 11:13 PM

I prefer the original Ice-T version.

Spike-X
05-01-2014, 11:14 PM
He and Max Weinberg (the drummer of my favorite band, The E Street Band)

*high five*

Spike-X
05-01-2014, 11:18 PM
It's an OK song in low dosages. I prefer Ringo's *other* Beatles era composition: "Don't Pass Me By."

Here's a ripping cover version of it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwyGRMKDGA8) by ze Georgia Satellites.

Spike-X
05-01-2014, 11:18 PM
The funny thing is that as I have gotten older some bands have just lost there appeal to me like Zeppelin and the Who, but I have never gotten tired of the Beatles.

If you're tired of The Beatles, you're tired of life.

SSY
05-02-2014, 12:02 AM
One of my favorite books growing up was Beatles: Sessions, which concentrated on the Abbey Road studio recordings from a technical standpoint, leaving aside all the seedy sort of sensationalism which a lot of pop star bios revel in and concentrating on the music itself. As a musician, that book was invaluable to me in giving me ideas and relating to the studio as the ultimate instrument.

I've actually been on a Beatles fast for a while, I do so with a lot of my favorite or formative influences- though I've been eyeing my albums lately and have had a hard core yen for Tomorrow Never Knows....

Primetime Harder
05-02-2014, 12:12 AM
My dad was a musician in the 60's, so I grew up hearing about how the Beatles changed the world. I liked their songs, but didn't really appreciate them until I started playing music myself at 14. Abbey Road must have been in my walkman for 3 or 4 weeks straight.

Buried Alien
05-02-2014, 12:18 AM
One of my favorite books growing up was Beatles: Sessions, which concentrated on the Abbey Road studio recordings from a technical standpoint, leaving aside all the seedy sort of sensationalism which a lot of pop star bios revel in and concentrating on the music itself. As a musician, that book was invaluable to me in giving me ideas and relating to the studio as the ultimate instrument.

I've actually been on a Beatles fast for a while, I do so with a lot of my favorite or formative influences- though I've been eyeing my albums lately and have had a hard core yen for Tomorrow Never Knows....

RECORDING SESSIONS is one of my favorite Beatles books, and this is a good companion piece for it:

http://eil.com/images/main/The+Beatles+-+Beatles+Gear+-+BOOK-443069.jpg

Great info on all the gear they used, which aside from the songs themselves, is the aspect of their work that most interests me.

UnbreakableVow
05-02-2014, 12:22 AM
I love The Beatles

I am pretty ecstatic that a Criterion edition of A Hard Day's Night is hitting Blu-ray in June, just in time for my birthday

Pharozonk
05-02-2014, 12:29 AM
Am I weird if Octopus Garden is my favorite Beatles song?

Buried Alien
05-02-2014, 12:31 AM

Nah. Some people think "Revolution 9" was the greatest thing they ever did.

Robert White
05-02-2014, 12:33 AM
Revolution 9 is a very interesting "song." I guess you have to have an appreciation for the Avant-garde and experimental music. I never skip it.

Buried Alien
05-02-2014, 12:39 AM
Revolution 9 is a very interesting "song." I guess you have to have an appreciation for the Avant-garde and experimental music. I never skip it.

I make a point of listening to it once a year. Some parts of it are quite disturbing (particularly a part where there's a deep bass sound that has a very chilling subliminal effect), but it's never boring.

Spike-X
05-02-2014, 01:21 AM

My girlfriend's friend and I put that on the jukebox at the Ballarat Hotel many years ago. We nearly got run out of town on a rail.

WestPhillyPunisher
05-02-2014, 01:30 AM
I would have loved to, but it was impossible for me because the band had broken up two years before I was born.

I was 11 at the time. I discovered the Beatles by listening to their songs on a local classic rock radio station as a teenager and it was love at first sight. The closest I ever came to seeing the Fab Four were stage shows like Beatlemania in the late 70's and the tribute band 1964 a couple of times. Favorite Beatles song? Whew! That's a tough one, but I gotta go with "Hey Jude" with "Drive My Car" and "I Am The Walrus" close behind.

Enigmatic Undead
05-02-2014, 02:56 AM
I think I prefer their later stuff. If I had to pick a favorite record it would be hard to narrow down between Abbey Road, Magic Myster Tour, The White Album, Rubber Soul, Let It Be and Revolver. I think it can be argued that Abbey Road is one of the most perfect pieces of music ever composed. I'm also a big fan of George Harrison and John Lennon's solo stuff and think Ringo's song writing and singing is really under appreciated.

I actually own Introducing... The Beatles on vinyl. The case is in terrible condition though. It originally belonged to my mom as a girl and she wrote all over the cover in pen including giving Ringo and Paul goatees. http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs31/f/2008/221/6/0/Mini_Embarrassed_by_Momma__G.gif

I officially hate you with jealousy now!

That's an incredibly beautiful song. One of my favorite Wings songs as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFRcMYjut4o

The Beatles made quite a few great covers themselves. I prefer their Please Mr. Postman and You Really Got a Hold on Me better than the fine originals, while Paul McCartney almost topped Little Richard himself on the Fab Four's take on Long Tall Sally.

I love their covers of Carl Perkins' Honey Don't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jCdD8pSODU

and Chuck Berry's Too Much Monkey Business

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAXXy8EMEEM

http://e.deviantart.net/emoticons/h/highfive.gif

Here's a ripping cover version of it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwyGRMKDGA8) by ze Georgia Satellites.

That is kick ass.

Adam Crocker
05-02-2014, 06:54 AM

Love avant-garde music, however "Revolution 9" almost always bores me. It feels rather unfocused and like dilettantism, though it does seem to work better when placed in the overall tracklisting of the White Album than alone.

The Darknight Detective
05-02-2014, 06:58 AM
Favorite covers done by the Beatles include Twist and Shout and Boys. Boys was originally a B-side single for The Shirelles and Twist and Shout was best known by The Isley Brothers

I like them better than the, again, fine originals. I'll take Buck Owen's Act Naturally over Ringo's, however (though Mr. Starkey did a fine job himself).

The Darknight Detective
05-02-2014, 07:01 AM
I make a point of listening to it once a year. Some parts of it are quite disturbing (particularly a part where there's a deep bass sound that has a very chilling subliminal effect), but it's never boring.

I'll listen to it, too, but it is in no way close to being the greatest thing the Beatles ever did (not that you're claiming that, of course :)).

The Darknight Detective
05-02-2014, 07:08 AM
I love their covers of Carl Perkins' Honey Don't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jCdD8pSODU

and Chuck Berry's Too Much Monkey Business

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAXXy8EMEEM

In those two cases, I prefer the originals, but the Beatles do an expert job on them. Their Rock and Roll Music, OTOH, is far superior to Chuck's (and I love Chuck's). Lennon sounds as if he's singing for his life at the end (kind of like what he did on another great cover of theirs - Slow Down).

Buried Alien
05-02-2014, 08:10 AM
My girlfriend's friend and I put that on the jukebox at the Ballarat Hotel many years ago. We nearly got run out of town on a rail.

I have to wonder why the hotel put it on the jukebox. "Revolution 9" isn't exactly something that people can get up to boogie or slow dance to.

Enigmatic Undead
05-02-2014, 08:20 AM
I have to wonder why the hotel put it on the jukebox. "Revolution 9" isn't exactly something that people can get up to boogie or slow dance to.

"We keep it on there for profiling purposes."

ish kabbible
05-02-2014, 11:26 AM
Yes I saw The Beatles in concert-but not all together
Paul McCartney I've seen twice.First time during the Wings first tour in the states and later in the 80s as well

George Harrison-I saw him at Madison Sq Garden when he released his Dark Horse album in 1974.Ravi Shankar opened the show and Billy Preston had a solo spot as well.Ringo Starr made a surprise appearence and played on a few songs. I think George played 2 or 3 Beatle songs

John Lennon-I was fortunate to see John at Madison Sq Garden.It was for a children's charity one day only,two performances.This was in 1972 when he released the double album Sometime in New York City.He was backed up by a local band called Elephant's Memory. Geraldo Rivera introduced the acts which included Stevie Wonder,Roberta Flack,Melanie and Sha-Na-Na. I remember during Stevie Wonder's set he would be lead to various places on stage to change instuments. He played keyboards,drums,harmonica and a little guitar. The Lennon set has been released on video and CD. I know I went to the afternoon show,not sure if the releases were for that or the evening performence. Little did I or anyone know at that time it would be the final full-blown public concert John would give.I remember him dressed in an army jacket,did 1 or 2 Beatle songs relunctantly (Come Together for sure),the audience moaning if Yoko sang too much.

A few years later,I saw John and Yoko strolling in Central Park.They supposedly did that quite often since they lived across the street from the park. I didn't approach them-didn't know what to say,didn't want to come off as a fawning idiot,so i just kinda stared as they walked off into the distance. In December 1980 I was back in the park again standing vigil the morning after his death.

Michael P
05-02-2014, 11:28 AM
I wasn't even alive in December 1980. Always felt a bit cheated about not getting to share the planet with John. Although I suppose it's nothing compared to what his family went through.

The Darknight Detective
05-02-2014, 11:47 AM
I wasn't even alive in December 1980. Always felt a bit cheated about not getting to share the planet with John. Although I suppose it's nothing compared to what his family went through.

I remember that day clearly. I found out that morning from the Daily News. My brothers and I were in a fog all day. The only celebrity death from that era that actually was bigger news was when Elvis died. Unlike Paul McCartney, I was more than "bummed" that day.

Buried Alien
05-02-2014, 12:02 PM
I remember that day clearly. I found out that morning from the Daily News. My brothers and I were in a fog all day. The only celebrity death from that era that actually was bigger news was when Elvis died. Unlike Paul McCartney, I was more than "bummed" that day.

I was in the 3rd Grade when John was shot. The next day, the teachers and other adults I encountered were pretty distraught. At the time, however, the only two Beatles songs I knew were "Yesterday" and "Yellow Submarine." I couldn't distinguish between the Beatles and the Monkees yet at that point.

The Darknight Detective
05-02-2014, 12:57 PM
I was in the 3rd Grade when John was shot. The next day, the teachers and other adults I encountered were pretty distraught. At the time, however, the only two Beatles songs I knew were "Yesterday" and "Yellow Submarine." I couldn't distinguish between the Beatles and the Monkees yet at that point.

I was a freshman in high school when he we was murdered, so it was very vivid for me. Between my brother and I, we had most of the Beatles' music either on cassette, 8-track or vinyl by that time, though I didn't start collecting John's solo work until the early '90s on CD's.

As for the Monkees, they were tied for my favorite rock group with the Archies when I was in kindergarten. :) I didn't really listen to that music other on Saturday morning television shows at that time, so I didn't have a lot to choose from. Still like the Monkees today, but the Archies are but a forgotten memory (same goes for my liking of the Osmonds :eek: from their own Saturday morning show, though the Jackson 5 were and still are awesome).

ish kabbible
05-02-2014, 01:37 PM
I'll never forget the night John died. I was watching Monday Night Football and somewhere about 10-10:30 Howard Cosell made the announcment. I was only about 2 miles away from where it happened. I recall listening to WNEWFM radio that night which stopped the music and took calls from people,all totally shocked and in tears.Lennon from time to time would visit the station and had interviews. They replayed those as well. Also remember hearing how people where gathering in front of his apartment during the night for a candlelight vigil. When I awoke the next morning I heard there where hundreds in front of the building but more where forming across the street in Central Park. I decided to walk over there to pay my respects.It was,up to that time, one of most saddest experiences in my life to see all these people overcome in grief.Someone had set up some loudspeakers in the park and they were constantly playing "In My Life". For someone I did not personally know,I've never felt as much anguish as that day

Spike-X
05-02-2014, 03:52 PM

It was a CD jukebox. They had entire albums, including the White Album.

Spike-X
05-02-2014, 03:57 PM
I'll never forget the night John died. I was watching Monday Night Football and somewhere about 10-10:30 Howard Cosell made the announcment. I was only about 2 miles away from where it happened. I recall listening to WNEWFM radio that night which stopped the music and took calls from people,all totally shocked and in tears.Lennon from time to time would visit the station and had interviews. They replayed those as well. Also remember hearing how people where gathering in front of his apartment during the night for a candlelight vigil. When I awoke the next morning I heard there where hundreds in front of the building but more where forming across the street in Central Park. I decided to walk over there to pay my respects.It was,up to that time, one of most saddest experiences in my life to see all these people overcome in grief.Someone had set up some loudspeakers in the park and they were constantly playing "In My Life". For someone I did not personally know,I've never felt as much anguish as that day

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band were in the middle of a show when the news broke. They heard about it backstage, but decided not to tell the band until after the show. The next night, Bruce started the show by talking about John, and how if it wasn't for The Beatles they literally wouldn't be there, and how they'd considered cancelling the show, but of course that would have been the wrong decision. Then they launched into Born To Run.

Unfortunately, the only know tape sounds like it was recorded in a wind tunnel.

Gary_B
05-02-2014, 05:19 PM
I was born in '62 so I was too young to fully appreciate them when they were a band, but my oldest brother had a bunch of 45 RPM singles that I would play and my sister had Revolver on 8-track tape. Most of the songs I know best were ones that got played every weekend at the arena where I went roller skating. I can remember my oldest brother being depressed about them breaking up in 1970. He would have been 14 at the time. I was almost finished high school when John Lennon was shot and killed and some of my class mates were hit hard by that, but not as hard as some of my teachers. The Beatles were always a band that I respected, but for some reason I have never owned any of their music. On a comics related note, I think McCartney's song Magneto and Titanium man is fun to listen to, especially the live version.

ish kabbible
05-02-2014, 08:40 PM
I remember when the White Album was released.Bought it at the record store (remember those?) the day it came out. I had heard rumours that if you peel off the white cover,underneath was a picture of John and Yoko nude.Well I was 14 years old at the time,I had to see if that was true.So I peeled it off.Nothing there.Ruined the cover.Still played that record to death
Another thing I recall about that album's release.It was 1968 and I was still listening to AM Top 40 radio at that time.Normally when an album was released there would be a corresponding single that the AM radio stations would play or at the very least the record company would suggest which cuts would most likely be well recieved by a mass audience. In this case there was no single and no suggestions. AM stations would be on their own deciding what to play from that album. It was fun hearing all the different songs getting played.Only the Beatles could get away with it since AM radio was very rigid with its playlists.For that album only it resembled free-form FM radio

Jim Kelly
05-02-2014, 08:52 PM
The concerts I regret never going to were the Beatles at Empire Stadium, August 22 '64, and Wings at the Seattle Kingdome, June 10 '76.

In '64, I had just turned 6--and being the baby of the family, with four older siblings--I didn't have much say in the matter. But our father argued that it wouldn't have been worth it. In fact, since Empire Stadium was just a bus ride away, I don't know why we didn't just go up there and stand outside the open air stadium where we could probably have heard all the noise. Noise I say, because from all reports the Beatles were drowned out by the fans. And they had to cut short their performance (they were on stage for less than half an hour, I believe), because young teen-age girls were falling over left and right and the police couldn't control the situation. So it wasn't the greatest Beatles performance--but what a story to say you'd been there. To make it up to us, our father took us to see A HARD DAY'S NIGHT.

The Empire Stadium had been built for the Empire Games in 1954 and was famously known for the running of the Miracle Mile. It was torn down in the early '90s.

Wings played in Seattle as part of their WINGS OVER AMERICA tour (the concert video--ROCK SHOW--was filmed at the Kingdome)--this was the first rock concert performed at the newly built stadium. That was in my senior year of high school, in fact close to graduation, and there was a bus booked to take kids down to Seattle from Vancouver. But I was a bit of a skittish teen--at times--and was scared to travel down to the States, all that way.

I did see Paul McCartney at the Kingdome eventually on March 10, 1990. They had to tear down the Kingdome after that--in '99.

Buried Alien
05-02-2014, 09:40 PM
I remember when the White Album was released.Bought it at the record store (remember those?) the day it came out. I had heard rumours that if you peel off the white cover,underneath was a picture of John and Yoko nude.Well I was 14 years old at the time,I had to see if that was true.So I peeled it off.Nothing there.Ruined the cover.Still played that record to death
Another thing I recall about that album's release.It was 1968 and I was still listening to AM Top 40 radio at that time.Normally when an album was released there would be a corresponding single that the AM radio stations would play or at the very least the record company would suggest which cuts would most likely be well recieved by a mass audience. In this case there was no single and no suggestions. AM stations would be on their own deciding what to play from that album. It was fun hearing all the different songs getting played.Only the Beatles could get away with it since AM radio was very rigid with its playlists.For that album only it resembled free-form FM radio

"Hey Jude"/"Revolution" was released a few months ahead of THE WHITE ALBUM, so probably "Revolution 1" got some airplay (though its lyrics were probably a little too controversial for commercial radio at the time). Probably the most radio-friendly cuts were "Obladi Oblada," "I Will," "Julia," "Blackbird," "Mother Nature's Son," and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps."

Pinsir
05-02-2014, 09:55 PM
I was deaf for a while so without the use of headphones (which hurt my ears) I couldn't listen to music. I was never much of a music enthusiast to begin with, but Beatles were always my favourite. Does anyone here know similar bands though?

I know:
> Monkeys
> Buddy Holly
> Neutral Milk Hotel
> Beach Boys
> Moma's and Papa's

Buried Alien
05-02-2014, 10:02 PM
I was deaf for a while so without the use of headphones (which hurt my ears) I couldn't listen to music. I was never much of a music enthusiast to begin with, but Beatles were always my favourite. Does anyone here know similar bands though?

I know:
> Monkeys
> Buddy Holly
> Neutral Milk Hotel
> Beach Boys
> Moma's and Papa's

Well, many bands can be described as "Beatlesque" at different points of their careers.

Some bands that show a very obvious influence include the Hollies, Badfinger, America, and Oasis, but there are so many others.

Pinsir
05-02-2014, 10:18 PM
Well, many bands can be described as "Beatlesque" at different points of their careers.

Some bands that show a very obvious influence include the Hollies, Badfinger, America, and Oasis, but there are so many others.

I'm familiar with Oasis, but I've never heard of the other ones.

Buried Alien
05-02-2014, 10:27 PM
I'm familiar with Oasis, but I've never heard of the other ones.

A few of them were among the most popular bands of the 1960s and 1970s. Badfinger, in particular, were proteges of the Beatles, getting their recording contract through the Beatles' Apple Records and sometimes backing Paul McCartney and George Harrison on their solo work during the 1970s. McCartney wrote and produced Badfinger's first hit, "Come and Get It," and George Harrison provided guitar parts for some of their other hits such as "Day After Day." Harrison also contracted Badfinger as backup musicians for the Concert for Bangladesh in 1971.

The Darknight Detective
05-03-2014, 10:13 AM

That photo was actually the cover and back of a solo album (so-called) by John and Yoko. I remembered seeing the photo in a Beatles book I got from the library during the early '80s and wanted to scrub my eyes for a day or two after that. ;)

Buried Alien
05-03-2014, 10:17 AM
That photo was actually the cover and back of a solo album (so-called) by John and Yoko. I remembered seeing the photo in a Beatles book I got from the library during the early '80s and wanted to scrub my eyes for a day or two after that. ;)

The album was called TWO VIRGINS, and is of interest to completists and people obsessed with the media lives of John Lennon and Yoko Ono. For fans who simply enjoy the music of the Beatles, however, the album offers nothing of value.

Pharozonk
05-03-2014, 10:20 AM

Hey DD! Glad to see you on the new forums!

The Darknight Detective
05-03-2014, 10:24 AM
Hey DD! Glad to see you on the new forums!

Thanks! Same to you.

The Darknight Detective
05-03-2014, 10:27 AM
The album was called TWO VIRGINS, and is of interest to completists and people obsessed with the media lives of John Lennon and Yoko Ono. For fans who simply enjoy the music of the Beatles, however, the album offers nothing of value.

From what I have heard about it, it's kind of a spontaneous thing they concocted after (during?) a "session" in bed together. IOW, pass.

Buried Alien
05-03-2014, 10:32 AM
From what I have heard about it, it's kind of a spontaneous thing they concocted after (during?) a "session" in bed together. IOW, pass.

Yeah...there's nothing much in the way of conventional pop/rock music on the album. It's more the concept art stuff that Yoko is known for.

t hedge coke
05-03-2014, 10:49 AM

Well, or for people who like noise music or soundscape stuff. There's some good bits in there, like the drumroll that intensifies until it stops without any payoff, some of the vocables that carry over between instruments.

Buried Alien
05-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Well, or for people who like noise music or soundscape stuff. There's some good bits in there, like the drumroll that intensifies until it stops without any payoff, some of the vocables that carry over between instruments.

You know what's sort of unexpected is that when Yoko *does* try to do conventional pop, she's surprisingly not that bad at it. She actually managed to score a pop hit or two in the 1980s after John had died.

Pat Thomas
05-03-2014, 11:08 AM

This is my first post on a Beatles board, so I apologize if this has been discussed before. I think it's common knowledge anyway about the "secret message" you hear in Revolution 9
when playing the LP in reverse. Are most of you familiar with that? Btw, the song doesn't sound any worse backwards than it does regularly.

bert
05-03-2014, 11:23 AM
I miss when I lived in Houston back in the early 80's and we had an all Beatles, all the Time, station: KBTL.

It's hard to say that the Beatles had a "non-hit". . but the station played some really deep album cuts, and we listened to it all the time.

been gone for years tho, from what my friends in Houston have told me.

bert
05-03-2014, 11:28 AM

I know:
> Monkeys
> Buddy Holly
> Neutral Milk Hotel
> Beach Boys
> Moma's and Papa's

Track down Oasis' first two albums.

Particularly, their very first single, "Supersonic"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p29MG7wn4F8&feature=player_detailpage

they got compared very often (many times by themselves :)) to the Beatles. . but they really DO have a very similar sound.

and I would also suggest the "Verve" -- who don't SOUND exactly like the Beatles did, but the songwriting style, I find very similar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH6TJU0qWoY&feature=player_detailpage

I think if the Beatles had stayed together, they would be writing songs like this.

The Darknight Detective
05-03-2014, 11:41 AM
The Smithereens were noted for their Beatle-like melodies years ago.

Buried Alien
05-03-2014, 12:42 PM
Track down Oasis' first two albums.

Particularly, their very first single, "Supersonic"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p29MG7wn4F8&feature=player_detailpage

they got compared very often (many times by themselves :)) to the Beatles. . but they really DO have a very similar sound.

Oasis is clearly Beatles-inspired, but I've long felt that Oasis limits themselves to the 1966-1968 version of the Beatles. Most Oasis records sound like attempts to duplicate REVOLVER, with varying degrees of success. I cannot picture Oasis, however, performing or recording any songs similar to "I Saw Her Standing There," "A Hard Day's Night," or "Let It Be." The Beatles were very eclectic, but Oasis seems fixated on REVOLVER-like songs.

bert
05-03-2014, 12:49 PM
Oasis is clearly Beatles-inspired, but I've long felt that Oasis limits themselves to the 1966-1968 version of the Beatles. Most Oasis records sound like attempts to duplicate REVOLVER, with varying degrees of success. I cannot picture Oasis, however, performing or recording any songs similar to "I Saw Her Standing There," "A Hard Day's Night," or "Let It Be." The Beatles were very eclectic, but Oasis seems fixated on REVOLVER-like songs.

agreed. . and that's why I only pointed to the first two albums :)

what do you think about the Verve recommendation. (granted they tend to take long breaks/break up between albums, but their style is all over the place).

Buried Alien
05-03-2014, 12:54 PM
what do you think about the Verve recommendation. (granted they tend to take long breaks/break up between albums, but their style is all over the place).

I haven't heard enough of the Verve to really make an informed judgment there.

I do, however, strongly recommend Badfinger to fans who liked the Beatles' ABBEY ROAD/LET IT BE sound. If Oasis made a career out of trying to clone the 1966-1968 Beatles, then Badfinger did the same with the 1969-1970 Beatles.

Buried Alien
05-03-2014, 03:41 PM
One of the less-discussed solo Beatle tracks I really like is Paul McCartney's "Bluebird," which I believe was on the BAND ON THE RUN album. It wasn't one of his big hits (never released as a single), but was featured in his 1976 concerts with Wings. It's a nice thematic "sequel" of sorts to "Blackbird" from the Beatles' WHITE ALBUM.

Enigmatic Undead
05-03-2014, 04:38 PM
One of the less-discussed solo Beatle tracks I really like is Paul McCartney's "Bluebird," which I believe was on the BAND ON THE RUN album. It wasn't one of his big hits (never released as a single), but was featured in his 1976 concerts with Wings. It's a nice thematic "sequel" of sorts to "Blackbird" from the Beatles' WHITE ALBUM.

I was just listening to Wingspan Hits and History this morning and that song is on disc 2. I listened to "Mull of Kintyre" and "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" a few times on repeat.

Lady Warp Spasm
05-03-2014, 04:54 PM
I still enjoy them: I'm partial to George and Ringo.

I had a blue meanie hand puppet some toy shop was selling in San Francisco for eons, but sold it out of necessity a few years ago. I am considering picking up Yellow Submarine on blu ray. I always enjoyed watching that in my pre-teens and teens.

Spike-X
05-03-2014, 05:10 PM
I showed Yellow Submarine to the kids a while back and they liked it a lot.

Jim Kelly
05-03-2014, 05:51 PM
Bluebird was probably overlooked because there were other big songs from BAND ON THE RUN that were released as singles. Some of the McCartney songs I like most are the ones that never got a lot of attention. Such as Little Lamb/Dragonfly (from RED ROSE SPEEDWAY)--which I think is about John. Macca--the Man of a thousand voices--changes his voice for different parts of that song, so I imagine one part is John and the other part is Paul--it's essentially McCartney wishing that he and Lennon could get together and Lennon telling him that they might never meet again.

ish kabbible
05-03-2014, 06:06 PM
Besides the 2 Virgins album released by the Lennons,George Harrison also released a "vanity project" while the Beatles were still together. It was titled Wonderwall and it was all experimental elontronic music

My favorite underplayed Beatle song is Hey Bulldog. It was only found on the Yellow Submarine soudtrack album which didn't get as much radio time as a regular Beatles album would. A great Lennon composition with exceptional McCartney bass playing. What sticks out it the sense of fun The Beatles seemed to have when they recorded this. Here's the clip of them doing it in the studios. There's other Youtube clips of the song with better audio or McCartney's bass isolated

Hey Bulldog (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxmP9UDkoGw)

bert
05-03-2014, 07:14 PM
Besides the 2 Virgins album released by the Lennons,George Harrison also released a "vanity project" while the Beatles were still together. It was titled Wonderwall and it was all experimental elontronic music

My favorite underplayed Beatle song is Hey Bulldog. It was only found on the Yellow Submarine soudtrack album which didn't get as much radio time as a regular Beatles album would. A great Lennon composition with exceptional McCartney bass playing. What sticks out it the sense of fun The Beatles seemed to have when they recorded this. Here's the clip of them doing it in the studios. There's other Youtube clips of the song with better audio or McCartney's bass isolated

I love the Gomez cover. . one of my faves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=H8_BO1uaPkc

Buried Alien
05-03-2014, 09:25 PM
You guys ever hear of Stevie Riks? He's an impersonator/musician who specializes on impersonations of the Beatles and other classic British and American rock stars on YouTube. The guy is a hoot (and pretty darn accurate in his impersonations, especially when singing). Check it out:

Stevie Riks as John Lennon *and* Paul McCartney (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atfwxdmGyUg)

Riks as Lennon and Elvis Presley (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfskjv-pOTY)

Riks as McCartney and Ray Davies of the Kinks (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxcoLauGXdE)

t hedge coke
05-03-2014, 09:30 PM

Man, I wish I could see youtube right now.

Hey Bulldog is fantastic. I know some people dismiss it (and my aunt hates it), but it's a great rocker.

You know what's sort of unexpected is that when Yoko *does* try to do conventional pop, she's surprisingly not that bad at it. She actually managed to score a pop hit or two in the 1980s after John had died.

I Felt Like Smashing My Face in a Clear Glass Window is a mix of standard riffs, but it's super catchy.

Being born in 80, I have the benefit of a wider perspective, in a sense, so it's easier to remember when Lennon, Harrison, or Yoko Ono could be more traditionalist/pop if they want. I reflexively cut McCartney less slack, but it's just because Maxwell's Silver Hammer and some of the tinnier stuff really isn't my thing. I might have to remind myself, sometimes, that he's got solid chops, too.

ish kabbible
05-03-2014, 11:27 PM
I reflexively cut McCartney less slack, but it's just because Maxwell's Silver Hammer and some of the tinnier stuff really isn't my thing. I might have to remind myself, sometimes, that he's got solid chops, too.

Sure McCartney has a Silly Little Love Song side to him, but then again he did write Helter Skelter and other great rockers too.He's what you call very versatile

Buried Alien
05-03-2014, 11:28 PM
Sure McCartney has a Silly Little Love Song side to him, but then again he did write Helter Skelter and other great rockers too.He's what you call very versatile

"Silly Love Songs" isn't even that bad a song; that bass line is killer.

Spike-X
05-03-2014, 11:32 PM

Of course it is. Paul McCartney played it.

(I assume. maybe. I don't actually know)

Buried Alien
05-03-2014, 11:35 PM
Of course it is. Paul McCartney played it.

(I assume. maybe. I don't actually know)

Yeah, he played that line on his Rickenbacker 4001 bass guitar. That period produced four superb bassists: James Jamerson of Motown, John Entwistle of the Who, John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin, and Paul McCartney.

Not that there weren't other great bassists around, but I would single out those four as the best of that era.

Spike-X
05-03-2014, 11:37 PM
Absofreakinlutely.

There are two kinds of people in the world - the ones who know James Jamerson was the greatest bass player of all time, and the ones who are wrong.

Buried Alien
05-03-2014, 11:38 PM
Absofreakinlutely.

There are two kinds of people in the world - the ones who know James Jamerson was the greatest bass player of all time, and the ones who are wrong.

Entwistle, Jones, and McCartney have all claimed Jamerson as a key influence on them.

Spike-X
05-03-2014, 11:41 PM
I still remember a line from an article in Guitar World many years ago, describing, "The greatest gathering of bass players since James Jamerson ate dinner alone in a Chicago rib joint." Or something along those lines.

ish kabbible
05-03-2014, 11:48 PM
To me the most amazing thing about The Beatles was quality and quantity they produced. A stunning accomplishment. They were only together for 7 years while recording their albums. And in those 7 years they released what amounted to 14 albums worth of material. And on top of that they were perfectionists. If you listen to the Beatles Anthology sets you hear certain songs developing during multiple takes. A song would sound great on take 6 for instance but they continued to work on it till it became what we know it as now.
This quality/quantity combo is what helped them become a dominating force during the 60s. When they debuted the kids loved them,the adults hated them. Little by little even the most conservative adults began to acknowledge that these lads had talent. On a personel note, back then my Grandfather was strictly into classical music.He HATED Rock n Roll. Then he heard McCartney do 'Yesterday" and that was followed by some other songs he must have liked. I remember by 1967 he asked me to put together a reel-to-reel tape of Beatle songs he would enjoy. He even liked their up tempo stuff. This was a MAJOR conversion. He still hated Rock n Roll, he never would understand it but somehow,someway The Beatles were the exception

ish kabbible
05-03-2014, 11:50 PM
Yeah, he played that line on his Rickenbacker 4001 bass guitar. That period produced four superb bassists: James Jamerson of Motown, John Entwistle of the Who, John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin, and Paul McCartney.

Not that there weren't other great bassists around, but I would single out those four as the best of that era.

Um..one more.Jack Bruce from Cream

Buried Alien
05-03-2014, 11:56 PM
Um..one more.Jack Bruce from Cream

Yeah, I think so...and after him would likely be Noel Redding from the Jimi Hendrix Experience, and somewhere beyond that would be Bill Wyman of the Stones, Roger Waters of Pink Floyd, and Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys.

Spike-X
05-04-2014, 12:00 AM
I disagree about Redding. He was a frustrated guitar player.

Buried Alien
05-04-2014, 12:07 AM

Anybody would be, behind Jimi Hendrix. :cool:

t hedge coke
05-04-2014, 01:56 AM

That's a good one, really. Good enough.

I'm Looking Through You is great.

Not everything he did was Martha My Dear or Maxwell's. And, even in those, I can make myself admit he's showing talent, his taste is just different than mine.

Ilan Preskovsky
05-04-2014, 04:20 AM

I have never understood the hate for that song. I personally think it's about as perfect a pop song as you can find. Awesome vocal harmonies, spectacular bassline, more hooks than you know what to do with and killer vocal and instrumental arrangements.

But then, I don't think songs have to "rock" to be great.

The Darknight Detective
05-04-2014, 04:29 AM

I have it tied with The Night Before as my favorite underplayed songs of theirs, but I might have another two tomorrow. Almost all of their songs were great, so it's very hard to choose.

ish kabbible
05-04-2014, 06:43 AM
I have never understood the hate for that song. I personally think it's about as perfect a pop song as you can find. Awesome vocal harmonies, spectacular bassline, more hooks than you know what to do with and killer vocal and instrumental arrangements.

But then, I don't think songs have to "rock" to be great.

Actually,the song was Paul's response to critics who were ragging on him for all the sweet,simple love songs he was producing lately. Lennon was one of those critics. Paul's response riled those critics further

Enigmatic Undead
05-04-2014, 08:48 AM
Anyone else checked out the Acoustic John Lennon album? It has a pretty chilling version of Cold Turkey and an excellent version of God. I actually prefer that version of Watching the Wheels to the original.

Michael P
05-04-2014, 08:50 AM
That's a good one, really. Good enough.

I'm Looking Through You is great.

Not everything he did was Martha My Dear or Maxwell's. And, even in those, I can make myself admit he's showing talent, his taste is just different than mine.

I can't hate Martha My Dear, because it's about a sheepdog.

impulseucf
05-04-2014, 09:07 AM
Last year I was lucky enough to see Sir Paul live. His band was top notch, and while the first half of the show was a little heavy on Paul's late-career stuff for my taste, the third act was phenomenal! Helter Skelter and Live and Let Die were blistering. Fireworks in the show, great production value, and Paul was really spry. Great show.

The Darknight Detective
05-04-2014, 09:37 AM
Actually,the song was Paul's response to critics who were ragging on him for all the sweet,simple love songs he was producing lately. Lennon was one of those critics. Paul's response riled those critics further

My Love is the silly love song of Paul's that really was severely attacked by a slew of critics, especially since it became a big hit anyway. Have to agree with the critics, though - it really is sappy. Silly Love Songs, OTOH, isn't bad, but nowhere near Maybe I'm Amazed, Band on the Run or Live and Let Die good.

Buried Alien
05-04-2014, 09:40 AM
My Love is the silly love song of Paul's that really was severely attacked by a slew of critics, especially since it became a big hit anyway. Have to agree with the critics, though - it really is sappy. Silly Love Songs, OTOH, isn't bad, but nowhere near Maybe I'm Amazed, Band on the Run or Live and Let Die good.

"My Love" sounds like "Helter Skelter" compared to that "My Valentine" song that Paul released last year. :D

The Darknight Detective
05-04-2014, 09:46 AM
"My Love" sounds like "Helter Skelter" compared to that "My Valentine" song that Paul released last year. :D

I haven't heard the album, but if you're referring to the song they kept playing in the commercials, I hate to say it but I kind of liked it. The lyrics are much better than My Love, at any rate. The latter lyrics are really, really mediocre. Of course, maybe I'm just giving a guy the same age as my parents some slack as he slides into the easy listening era of his life. :D

Buried Alien
05-04-2014, 09:51 AM
I haven't heard the album, but if you're referring to the song they kept playing in the commercials, I hate to say it but I kind of liked it. The lyrics are much better than My Love, at any rate. The latter lyrics are really, really mediocre. Of course, maybe I'm just giving a guy the same age as my parents some slack as he slides into the easy listening era of his life. :D

The last of Paul's solo albums that I liked was FLOWERS IN THE DIRT, and that was all the way back in 1989. He recorded that with help from Elvis Costello, and returned the favor by co-writing Costello's "Veronica."

Nothing new that Paul has recorded since then has really impressed me, except maybe that collaboration with the remainder of Nirvana last year ("Cut Me Some Slack").

ish kabbible
05-04-2014, 09:56 AM
I assure I love The Beatles and all their members. And there was so many songs McCartney made in his solo career I really liked. But this particular one came out in the early part of his solo phase. And this particular one is,IMO, one of the worst songs ever made. I couldn't defend it. Can you? I defy you!! What the hell was Paul thinking?
It was even released as a single .HOLY CRAP

Worst McCartney Song.......Ever (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjtnD4RZtn4)

The Darknight Detective
05-04-2014, 09:56 AM
The last of Paul's solo albums that I liked was FLOWERS IN THE DIRT, and that was all the way back in 1989. He recorded that with help from Elvis Costello, and returned the favor by co-writing Costello's "Veronica."

Nothing new that Paul has recorded since then has really impressed me, except maybe that collaboration with the remainder of Nirvana last year ("Cut Me Some Slack").

Flowers in the Dirt and Choba B CCCP are the "newest" albums of his that I have. I agree his later stuff is really not that interesting to me.

Buried Alien
05-04-2014, 09:58 AM
I assure I love The Beatles and all their members. And there was so many songs McCartney made in his solo career I really liked. But this particular one came out in the early part of his solo phase. And this particular one is,IMO, one of the worst songs ever made. I couldn't defend it. Can you? I defy you!! What the hell was Paul thinking?
It was even released as a single .HOLY CRAP

Worst McCartney Song.......Ever (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjtnD4RZtn4)

Heh. I think Paul put that one out to diss the BBC, which had banned his previous song "Give Ireland Back to the Irish" for being too controversial and political. Paul responded by recording the most ridiculously innocuous thing possible.

Buried Alien
05-04-2014, 09:59 AM
Flowers in the Dirt and Choba B CCCP are the "newest" albums of his that I have. I agree his later stuff is really not that interesting to me.

His 1991 UNPLUGGED album is worth searching out, though. He plays quite a few Beatles and rock 'n roll classics in an all-acoustic format. Quietly one of his better latter-day records.

ish kabbible
05-04-2014, 10:10 AM
I bought all of Paul's albums (except Red Rose Speedway) up thru 1980's McCartney II. Afterward that I only picked up 1989's Flowers in the Dirt,1997's Flaming Pie and 2001's Driving Rain. The 2001 compilation Wingspan filled in any other song I wanted past 1980.I also have the live 2002 Back in the U.S. and otherwise any other live performances I prefer owning on BR/DVD

Buried Alien
05-04-2014, 10:23 AM
Anyone else checked out the Acoustic John Lennon album? It has a pretty chilling version of Cold Turkey and an excellent version of God. I actually prefer that version of Watching the Wheels to the original.

I have that. It has numerous versions of "Real Love," which differs not only from the 1996 Beatles version, but also from the version released on the 1988 IMAGINE biopic soundtrack.

Jim Kelly
05-04-2014, 11:38 AM
I had all of the Beatles, Wings and McCartney albums on CD, but many years ago those were stolen from my home and I never got around to replacing all of them. The thing I miss most is the little booklet that came with my Beatles CD roll-top box that gave background on all the tracks (I still have the actual box, though). Since then, I've gotten many more Beatles CDs and McCartney CDs--and with the new box set of Bealtes and the re-release of many CDs in the Paul McCartney Collection, I have almost replaced what was stolen.

I do have all of the Beatles on vinyl, all of Wings/McCartney (up to the early '90s) on vinyl--plus a couple of Harrison, a couple of Starr and a few of Lennon on vinyl. And other stuff on CD.

My brother bought most of the Beatles LPs and singles as they came out back in the '60s. I don't know if he's managed to keep all of that or if he's gotten rid of what was a vast record collection. In particular, I remember all of the extras that came with the LPs he bought--like SGT. PEPPER and LET IT BE. It would be good to have all that.

Buried Alien
05-04-2014, 12:34 PM
For George Harrison's material, all you really need is ALL THINGS MUST PASS, the CONCERT FOR BANGLADESH, George's latest greatest hits compilation, and the two Traveling Wilburys albums.

Ilan Preskovsky
05-04-2014, 12:45 PM
For George Harrison's material, all you really need is ALL THINGS MUST PASS, the CONCERT FOR BANGLADESH, George's latest greatest hits compilation, and the two Traveling Wilburys albums.

Brainwashed is pretty excellent and Cloud 9 is basically Travelling Willburys Vol 0 and is just about as good as what came later.

Heh. I think Paul put that one out to diss the BBC, which had banned his previous song "Give Ireland Back to the Irish" for being too controversial and political. Paul responded by recording the most ridiculously innocuous thing possible.

Precisely so.

Really? I thought that Nirvana thing was terrible but all of his albums since Flowers in the Dirt have been interesting. They all have problems but they all prove that even in these late stages, Paul's gifts still haven't left him and he's still willing to push himself in some fairly surprising directions. Compare that to the Stones. LOVE the Stones as I do, they have been coasting in the studio for over three decades.

Acecool
05-04-2014, 04:26 PM
Sorry everyone for my heresy, but I don't care for the Beatles. Every time Pandora plays one of their songs, I thumbs down it. Not out of hand mind you. I am normally studying something and not looking at who or what is playing. Whenever I am annoyed by something playing, 5/10 it is the Beatles.

ish kabbible
05-04-2014, 04:46 PM
Sorry everyone for my heresy, but I don't care for the Beatles. Every time Pandora plays one of their songs, I thumbs down it. Not out of hand mind you. I am normally studying something and not looking at who or what is playing. Whenever I am annoyed by something playing, 5/10 it is the Beatles.

Thats fine. Your better than us.Thanks for sharing

Jim Kelly
05-04-2014, 08:33 PM
Maybe some people don't understand that the Beatles had a sense of humour. They grew up listening to THE GOON SHOW on the radio. George Harrison said that the energy that the Beatles had in the '60s passed on to the Monty Python group in the '70s (in fact, Harrison financed many Python projects). When A HARD DAY'S NIGHT came out in movie theatres, critics compared the Beatles to the Marx Brothers. It was as much their wit as their music that endeared them to American audiences when they landed in America in '64.

While the Beatles recorded serious music that promoted love, peace and understanding--they also enjoyed a laugh. The lyrics to "Yesterday" were originally, "Scrambled eggs--oh baby, how I love your legs."

I think it's refreshing that the Beatles didn't take themselves too seriously--and every album had a light-hearted or off-the-wall number to give a bit of space between all the serious stuff. Often it fell to Paul or Ringo to provide the upbeat comic relief--which is maybe why they are tagged as the cheery ones in the group. But most of those songs were a group effort and John and George could also craft a silly song. Paul may have written "Rocky Raccoon" and Ringo "Don't Pass Me By," but John wrote "The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill" and George "Piggies." All of those were on the Double White Album--which having two discs, instead of one, afforded the Beatles the chance to indulge themselves with songs that might not have appeared on a single LP.

Buried Alien
05-04-2014, 09:41 PM
While the Beatles recorded serious music that promoted love, peace and understanding--they also enjoyed a laugh. The lyrics to "Yesterday" were originally, "Scrambled eggs--oh baby, how I love your legs."

Nearly fifty years later, Paul and Jimmy Fallon finished "Scrambled Eggs." (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo6CYJPDLUE)

ish kabbible
05-04-2014, 10:51 PM
So true about their sense of humor. No sense in providing a link because if you go to YouTube and type funny beatles, there's pages of material.
The song You Know My Name Look Up The Number is hysterically weird

The Darknight Detective
05-05-2014, 03:44 AM
So true about their sense of humor. No sense in providing a link because if you go to YouTube and type funny beatles, there's pages of material.
The song You Know My Name Look Up The Number is hysterically weird

That's worth listening to over and over. It's what Revolution No. 9 should have been.

Buried Alien
05-15-2014, 11:09 PM
I've got a nosebleed seat for Paul McCartney's show at Dodger Stadium this August! :D

Pharozonk
05-15-2014, 11:51 PM
Congrats,Buried!

Buried Alien
05-16-2014, 12:10 AM
Congrats,Buried!

Thanks! It's my third major show. I saw the Stones back in '02 and Ringo back in '03, but my first time seeing McCartney.

I would have loved to have seen Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin; neither is likely now.

LeeKaye
05-16-2014, 04:53 AM
Being a big music fan and English it's hard to not love The Beatles. Though I have played continuously the following - Revolver, Abbey Road, Sgt. Pepper, Rubber Soul, I haven't heard The White Album once. I think I need to change this.

Clarkie
05-16-2014, 05:21 AM

Yep, that one is a cracker.

Absofreakinlutely.

Indeed, indeed.

I still remember a line from an article in Guitar World many years ago, describing, "The greatest gathering of bass players since James Jamerson ate dinner alone in a Chicago rib joint." Or something along those lines.
Ha!

He also wasn't that good.

I've got a nosebleed seat for Paul McCartney's show at Dodger Stadium this August! :D

Nice one!

Michael P
05-16-2014, 05:40 AM
Had to scroll up and make sure you weren't talking about Otis Redding, 'cause if so, there would have been a discussion.

Hapless Henchman
05-16-2014, 06:43 AM
Even though the Beatles broke up before we were even born, my wife and I are huge Beatles' fans. We are now indoctrinating our children by playing their music almost every time we are in the car. I plan on having "In My Life" playing during the father/daughter dance at her wedding. I'll probably be paying for it, so she won't have a choice in the matter.

On another note (<- Ha! Get it? "Note"?), has anyone ever read "The Lives of John Lennon"? I found it at a library book sale for a quarter and thought it might be interesting. It was missing the cover so I didn't know it was "unauthorized". Anyway, it has some really wild stories in there and I am wondering if any of them were true?

Clarkie
05-16-2014, 08:56 AM
Had to scroll up and make sure you weren't talking about Otis Redding, 'cause if so, there would have been a discussion.

Yes, well, Otis Redding wasn't good either.

He was incomparably amazing.

Mari
05-17-2014, 04:39 AM
Paul McCartney's concert in Tokyo, postponed from tonight to Monday due to illness.

I wasn't going, as I am not in Tokyo. Please get well !

Lady Warp Spasm
05-17-2014, 04:19 PM
Being a big music fan and English it's hard to not love The Beatles. Though I have played continuously the following - Revolver, Abbey Road, Sgt. Pepper, Rubber Soul, I haven't heard The White Album once. I think I need to change this.

It's a bit of an expanse on the albums you mentioned. You'll enjoy it.

Buried Alien
05-17-2014, 05:01 PM
Paul McCartney's concert in Tokyo, postponed from tonight to Monday due to illness.

I wasn't going, as I am not in Tokyo. Please get well !

Paul committed himself to playing Monday night...a double show to make up for the cancelled one from the previous evening. He's one resilient (and workaholic) septuagenarian.

Jim Kelly
05-18-2014, 10:16 AM
Paul committed himself to playing Monday night...a double show to make up for the cancelled one from the previous evening. He's one resilient (and workaholic) septuagenarian.

It's a Miracle Monday miracle.

Jim Kelly
05-18-2014, 10:26 AM
Or maybe not. The latest news is that Paul is still sick and had to cancel the make up show. Hope he's feeling better soon.

Buried Alien
08-11-2014, 11:06 AM
Went to Macca's show at Dodger Stadium in LA on Sunday night (8/10). Musically, it was the most awesome thing I've seen/heard in person. Wow.

McCartney is arguably the greatest living rock star on the planet.

Jim Kelly
08-12-2014, 12:42 PM
Went to Macca's show at Dodger Stadium in LA on Sunday night (8/10). Musically, it was the most awesome thing I've seen/heard in person. Wow.

McCartney is arguably the greatest living rock star on the planet.

Great. I saw in the news that he was at Dodger Stadium and remembered you were going to the concert, so I came here to check on your report. Awesome.

Buried Alien
08-12-2014, 01:10 PM
Great. I saw in the news that he was at Dodger Stadium and remembered you were going to the concert, so I came here to check on your report. Awesome.

After Paul and his band opened with "Eight Days a Week," he removed his jacket and quipped that it would be the only wardrobe change of the performance. This was clearly a show in which the music would carry the performance.

That said, the pyrotechnics that accompanied "Live and Let Die" were an awesome spectacle.

Jim Kelly
08-12-2014, 01:26 PM
It must have been a hot night, given he took his jacket off so early in the performance. When I saw Paul in San Francisco, he waited until well into the concert--saying that he usually takes his jacket off before this, but it was so cold he had kept it on. Never having been to San Francisco, I was surprised by the cold and the guy sitting next to me referred to Mark Twain having said that the coldest winter he ever saw was the summer he spent in San Francisco.

"Live and Let Die" is always a spectacular piece. Although when the band performed it here in Vancouver it started a small fire inside the stadium (the roof was closed) and it took some time for the smoke to clear.

I don't recall seeing Paul perform "Eight Days a Week." It's more of a John song than a Paul song, but Macca has been including a few Lennon songs in his set these days. If he doesn't have the right to perform those, then I don't know anyone else living who has more of a right. Maybe Ringo, Sean and Julian. I would have loved to hear Paul and the band playing it, as it's one of those songs I never get tired of hearing.

Buried Alien
08-12-2014, 01:45 PM
It must have been a hot night, given he took his jacket off so early in the performance.

Yep. Hot LA summer night, especially with all those lights and people.

When I saw Paul in San Francisco, he waited until well into the concert--saying that he usually takes his jacket off before this, but it was so cold he had kept it on. Never having been to San Francisco, I was surprised by the cold and the guy sitting next to me referred to Mark Twain having said that the coldest winter he ever saw was the summer he spent in San Francisco.

Frisco's cold. The city's bayside location makes it a wind tunnel.

"Live and Let Die" is always a spectacular piece. Although when the band performed it here in Vancouver it started a small fire inside the stadium (the roof was closed) and it took some time for the smoke to clear.

No fire at Dodger Stadium, being as it is open to air.

I don't recall seeing Paul perform "Eight Days a Week." It's more of a John song than a Paul song, but Macca has been including a few Lennon songs in his set these days. If he doesn't have the right to perform those, then I don't know anyone else living who has more of a right. Maybe Ringo, Sean and Julian. I would have loved to hear Paul and the band playing it, as it's one of those songs I never get tired of hearing.

Paul has opened his shows on this tour ("Out There") with "Eight Days a Week." I don't know if he's performed it before this tour.

Jim Kelly
08-12-2014, 02:37 PM
Paul has opened his shows on this tour ("Out There") with "Eight Days a Week." I don't know if he's performed it before this tour.

Probably not. The Beatles catalogue is so huge, there are only so many he can peform live. I think, with each new tour, he must go through the set list and choose some new songs he hasn't covered before. Of course, there are some songs he always does--because people expect he will and would feel cheated if he didn't (such as 'Let it Be," "Yesterday," and "Hey Jude").

"Eight Days a Week" is one of those songs where all the Beatles play a part and collaborate--although John does the lead vocals. I think the title was one of Ringo's malapropisms--like "A Hard Day's Night." The Beatles never performed it live--I guess they didn't think it was good enough. But this song always takes me back to being a six year old kid and listening to it on my transistor radio when it first came out.

Buried Alien
08-12-2014, 07:23 PM
Probably not. The Beatles catalogue is so huge, there are only so many he can peform live. I think, with each new tour, he must go through the set list and choose some new songs he hasn't covered before. Of course, there are some songs he always does--because people expect he will and would feel cheated if he didn't (such as 'Let it Be," "Yesterday," and "Hey Jude").

"Eight Days a Week" is one of those songs where all the Beatles play a part and collaborate--although John does the lead vocals. I think the title was one of Ringo's malapropisms--like "A Hard Day's Night." The Beatles never performed it live--I guess they didn't think it was good enough. But this song always takes me back to being a six year old kid and listening to it on my transistor radio when it first came out.

Since the 1990s especially, Paul has pulled out an increasingly diverse number of Beatles songs for his concerts...many of which the Beatles themselves never performed live. What surprises me is that in all these years, he hasn't tried two of the Beatles' most iconic hits - "She Loves You" and "I Want To Hold Your Hand." None of the Beatles has performed either song live since 1964, and I wonder if either will ever make it into Paul's setlist before his touring days are over.

Enigmatic Undead
09-08-2014, 10:33 AM
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/155/f/6/the_beatles_fantastic_four_by_scottblairart-d7kzjmy.jpg (http://scottblairart.deviantart.com/art/The-Beatles-Fantastic-Four-458513962)

Maven
09-08-2014, 10:38 AM
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/155/f/6/the_beatles_fantastic_four_by_scottblairart-d7kzjmy.jpg (http://scottblairart.deviantart.com/art/The-Beatles-Fantastic-Four-458513962)

http://smileyshack.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/sbowing_100-104.gif As a music, Beatles, and out-and-out bonafide Fantastic Four nut, I can most certainly say THAT is TOO AWESOME. http://smileyshack.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/sbowing_100-104.gif

tombo
09-08-2014, 01:36 PM
There was a British graphic novel about the antics of the Beatles released in the 70s. I saw pages from it just now in the book I'm reading on UK comic history.

Buried Alien
02-03-2017, 11:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_MjCqQoLLA

Buried Alien
06-06-2017, 03:47 PM
Anybody bought/heard the 50th anniversary edition of SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND?

Kirby101
06-06-2017, 04:09 PM
Anybody bought/heard the 50th anniversary edition of SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND?

Heard some of it on the radio. Sounds amazing. Whole new dimensions to the sound.

Buried Alien
06-06-2017, 04:19 PM
Heard some of it on the radio. Sounds amazing. Whole new dimensions to the sound.

Wish I had a fancy hi-fi system to get the full effect. :)

Jim Kelly
06-06-2017, 05:07 PM
I've been listening to and watching all my Beatles discs and videos in chronological order and am close to the end--next will be Wings and Macca's solo career. All to celebrate Paul's birthday on June 18th.

I bought the 50th anniversary SGT. PEPPER on vinyl and listened to it on June 1st and 2nd. This was the two disc special edition--but I have to confess the 2nd disc was kind of tedious, for the most part, as it provides backing tracks and such, rather than the fully built up songs.

ed2962
06-06-2017, 05:16 PM

Has it been remixed or something? I thought it was just a re-release?

Kirby101
06-06-2017, 07:48 PM
Has it been remixed or something? I thought it was just a re-release?

The original was mixed in mono, then they did a half ass stereo cut. Most of the Beatles albums were done like that, bad stereo mixes. Sometimes the voices and instruments were just on different sides.
For this Giles Martin went back to the original tapes and mixed a masterful stereo cut. Completely remastered.

signalman112
06-09-2017, 12:05 AM
BEATLES have there own SIRIUSXM Channal.

http://www.siriusxm.com/thebeatles