PDA

View Full Version : Best/ Favorite Bendis Original X-Men characters

donpricetag
10-02-2015, 10:55 AM
It's obvious not everyone enjoyed Bendis' run with he X-Men. I think we can accurately say it wasn't the worst but it was far from the best. During this run there was a rumor going around that new mutant characters were a "no go", but we did get a dozen or so original characters from the writer (and a few others... where did that rumor come from?). From a host of characters from the future to Goldballs, there's more than enough to dissect. Not counting the O5 (he didn't make them...), what we're you favorite Bendis made X-Men characters?

MarvelMaster616
10-02-2015, 11:12 AM
I want to say Eva, but I think she got a bit too emo towards the end of Bendis' run. So I'm going to go with Hijack. I think he's the best example of the kind of danger that mutants face. His powers are not inherently destructive. When they first manifested, they didn't hurt anyone or cause any property damage, which is a lot more than some mutants can say. Yet despite his powers not harming a soul, the police still shot him without any justification. I think that makes Hijack a perfect metaphor for what mutants have to deal with. Even when their powers don't harm a soul, they are still targets. He more than anyone justified Cyclops' efforts in protecting mutants. The Jean Grey Institute sure wasn't helping mutants like Hijack. He got shot for no good reason while Christopher Muse got arrested and interrogated. Nobody came to help them. But Cyclops and his team did. And I think that's what helped make Hijack compelling. I just wish Bendis had explored this angle a bit more rather than letting his stories get caught up with AXIS and Battle of the Atom.

Fokken
10-02-2015, 11:24 AM
I think Eva ranked fast and furious on most people's radar but then fell hard toward the end.

I'm gonna go with Goldballs.
Complete opposite effect. Total gag character who gradually ascended well past my expectations and carved out a warm cozy in my admirations.

Park Slope Pixie
10-02-2015, 12:42 PM
Eva, then Hijack

Goldballs was always just a sight gag character, and bit of an unsensitive, offensive depiction frankly.

marvelousmetalmouse
10-02-2015, 12:44 PM
G-g-g-goldballs!
*air horn noises*

nx01a
10-02-2015, 12:53 PM
Triage and Tempus.

RCX
10-02-2015, 12:57 PM
Triage and Tempus.

Agreed but just as secondary characters.

Andru
10-02-2015, 01:03 PM
Morph (Benjamin Deeds). His stand-alone issue was a good read. He kind of took a backseat after that...

NewMutant
10-02-2015, 01:55 PM
None. A best implies that one is good.

nx01a
10-02-2015, 06:07 PM
Agreed but just as secondary characters.Definitely. None of the new characters created since... Morrison's run have had the potential to be main characters, sadly. Triage gets my nod because there aren't many black male X-Men of note, much less ones who are truly powerful; being able to heal anything and even resurrect the dead is pretty impressive. Seeing Christopher Muse [whose real name I genuinely had to wrack my brain for] question the NXS kids' role in Cyclops' 'revolution' was great, too.

Tempus was obviously Bendis' main character and got the uber-power as well as the most development but her development re: spending years time hopping but ending up in the same dress and with almost the same attitude but just with slightly longer hair? Bendis dropped the ball on making that believable. And her little temporal abortion incident and subsequent threats? She needs to be put down in Uncanny #600.

None. A best implies that one is good.They had potential that simply wasn't realized. Goldballs, however, is the worst of the lot: nothing more than a double entendre codename and ability mixed with an annoying personality.

Magneto
10-02-2015, 06:32 PM
It doesn't matter, they were created for the sake of being created. They'll never be use again anyway.

NewMutant
10-02-2015, 07:18 PM
It doesn't matter, they were created for the sake of being created. They'll never be use again anyway.

QFT. And lets hope.

Kisinith
10-02-2015, 08:31 PM
I actually liked them, especially in comparison to the cringe worthy crap from the rest of the X-Books. They were decent, interesting and for the most part not retreads and palette swaps of existing characters. They had personality and potential if put in the hands of someone who would have actually developed them.

As for a favorite, Tempus is the obvious choice as she had more panel time/development than any of the others. She just needs someone to roll back the "god mode cheat" Bendis gave her powers and she totally usable. Hijack, Morph and Triage all have potential but more as secondary or support characters. Golfballs has always been cringe inducing though.

AJpyro
10-02-2015, 08:42 PM
Tempus. Neat power. Neat design. And she was beginning to have her own character arc.

Hijack. Coulda been a new deviation on Forge and seeing how he could improve on the tech the Revolution used to stay ahead of SHIELD and others. Plus seeing him butt head with Cyclops was a shot in the arm in where he could go.

Triage. Healers are friggin rare. He and Elixir coulda teamed up and maybe start up a healing squad/hopsice force within the x teams. Maybe make a new team that while helpful to the x-men would not try to stay too into the whole divide/schism shtick.

Ben and Goldballs. SOmewhat potential but not as much as the others.

Project Initiative Cascada
10-02-2015, 09:07 PM
Eva Bell aka Tempus. Started off as a very likable and fun character, and then slowly became destructive and more dark with the change of environment surrounding her. I think there can be a lot of great characterization depth that can be further explored with her character after that time jump. To suddenly jump decades into the future and then return must be pretty excruciating.

I really didn't care much for any of the other characters he created. Hijack had potential but quickly turned into a boring Mary Sue. Benjamin was great in his spotlight issue but just went stale quickly after that.

Eva aside, I really hope we never see his group of characters again.

primetime21
10-02-2015, 09:54 PM
There were no good characters created by Bendis during this run. They were all garbage. The only slightly passible character was the villain Animax and that's if she rearranges molecules to form her creations.

Cable
10-03-2015, 01:07 AM
I enjoyed Tempus to start, until she said "crikey!", then quickly grew to hate her. Very few Australians actually sound like The Crocodile Hunter...

None of the kids were great. Some interesting powers, but not enough character development.

Wolverine12
10-03-2015, 02:09 AM
Eva Bell, Goldballs and Triage were all enjoyable for me. Hijack was pretty cool also. I was just happy to see some new mutants.

Striderblack01
10-03-2015, 05:10 AM
Goldballs! Goldballs! Goldballs!

He's all about being being confident in yourself and your abilities no matter how unconventional they are.
Believe in yourself!
Believe in Goldballs!

Confuzzled
10-03-2015, 06:55 AM
Benjamin Deeds was intriguing in his solo issue but then nothing was done with him. Hijack has potential. Heck, even Animax and Bo had strong moments. I'd say the Bendis mutants in their entirety were more likable than any set of debutants since the NXM.

I also loved that Bendis made Celeste Cuckoo HBIC. A great consolation for not using Trance.

SidheKnight
10-03-2015, 07:37 AM
Hijack and Triage.

Exciter
10-03-2015, 08:05 AM
G-g-g-goldballs!
*air horn noises*

I just wish they named him Amazeballs.

idiyona
10-03-2015, 10:03 AM
There were no good characters created by Bendis during this run. They were all garbage. The only slightly passible character was the villain Animax and that's if she rearranges molecules to form her creations.

You know, I did like Animax but probably because Bendis had minimum contact with her. Tempus....she was good until she got so overpowered she became a Deus ex machina that resolved a plot instantly, gave Cyclops a preachy lecture, and then blew out of there. That instantly turned into a bad fanfiction level story.

Also why did anyone like goldballs? He was the Uncanny X-Men's equivalent of a fart machine.

DurararaFTW
10-03-2015, 10:24 AM
Tempus, Hijack and Morph.

dragonmp93
10-03-2015, 11:57 AM
Well, my favorite is Tempus, but Goldballs and Hijack are pretty cool too.

Moondoggie
10-03-2015, 01:40 PM
Triage and Hijack I guess. Neither really got enough time to really make much of an impact but I thought they had the most potential to be interesting. Eva just ended up feeling like Hope 2.0 a character made solely to advance the plot a certain way. She started out with a lot of promise and then the pay off was lame.

Confuzzled
10-03-2015, 02:14 PM
Yeah, I personally feel Eva was the weakest of the bunch, despite receiving the most attention. Pet being spoiled to her detriment.

Gray Lensman
10-03-2015, 02:33 PM
I wonder if they seem better or worse based on two factors?

One: The sight gag characters introduced in the other books.

Two: The fizzling anti-climax Bendis has given for most of his arcs.

Striderblack01
10-04-2015, 07:15 AM
I wonder if they seem better or worse based on two factors?

One: The sight gag characters introduced in the other books.

Two: The fizzling anti-climax Bendis has given for most of his arcs.

Yeah.

All these guys had was potential.
They were wads of cookie dough, and the only reason I bothered with them was to see the NXS faculty making them rough-and-tumble. In the end, because the title went south, they were all too whiny and didn't accomplish nearly as much as desired.
As fun as they occasionally were, I don't expect (or care) to ever see them again.

Unless, some future writer wants to pick up the [gold]ball.

nx01a
10-04-2015, 07:24 AM
Unless, some future writer wants to pick up the [gold]ball.

Sounds like catching a venereal disease. *whistles*

Striderblack01
10-04-2015, 07:57 AM
Sounds like catching a venereal disease. *whistles*

But what if it was amazing to catch 'goldballs'?

<phone rings>

E: "Hello?"
F: "Eva? Hi, it's Fabio."
E: "Hi Fabio, what's up?"
F: "Well, this is going to be a little difficult for me to say, but I have to be responsible and call everyone I've ever been in contact with. I just heard back from my doctor and...I have the goldballs."

<a fat beat drops>

E: "YEEEAAH!!"
F: "I KNOW, RIGHT!?"

nx01a
10-04-2015, 08:22 AM
But what if it was amazing to catch 'goldballs'?

<phone rings>

E: "Hello?"
F: "Eva? Hi, it's Fabio."
E: "Hi Fabio, what's up?"
F: "Well, this is going to be a little difficult for me to say, but I have to be responsible and call everyone I've ever been in contact with. I just heard back from my doctor and...I have the goldballs."

<a fat beat drops>

E: "YEEEAAH!!"
F: "I KNOW, RIGHT!?"
LOL!
Would 'goldballs' be a MTI/mutant transmitted infection or can humans get and transmit it, too? :p
Oh, my Outer Gods... 'Goldballs' is M-Pox! :eek:

donpricetag
10-04-2015, 08:33 AM
I believe Goldballs most woeful issue was the fact that Bendis never evolved him ability wise. The power to make gold balls of... Whatever was kind of ridiculous. But how about if he took it a step or so forward. Materializing spheres of the substance seemed short sighted and odd. It's quite possible that could have other constructs from the substance, like any shape he can imagine, somewhat like the Green Lantern but unlike what the ring does, the formed objects aren't tethered to it and cannot self animate.

Why not make said constructs super dense and similar to Spiderman's webbing, degrade over time (every power needs a threshold or limitation). Make the initial strength similar to carbonadium or adamantium that eventually decreases to something like glass after like an hour. Just an idea to make him a bit more interesting.

xhx23x
10-04-2015, 02:43 PM
I liked Hijack, Goldballs oddly enough and Morph II a lot. Eva got the most development but I'm still not sure where I land on feeling about her. I like some of it, hated other parts.

I thought Triage was kind of waste of panels.

Iron Fist
10-04-2015, 03:26 PM
Triage and then Hijack

One of my biggest annoyances was they didn't use the Stepford Cuckoos more, not many writers seem to know how to use them properly.

Confuzzled
10-04-2015, 10:52 PM
Personally speaking, the hivemind concept for the Cuckoos never made sense even when Morrison was doing it. How was Esme able to rebel? I know what he was going for with the "creepy mean girl clique" mentality but he was never consistent with it. Everybody else who tackled the Cuckoos wandered further away from the hivemind. I don't think it particularly works as a concept for kids who are on the X-Men.

There were only two good options left for them: Turn them completely to the dark side and make them an antagonistic force, especially for Emma, or have them mature into individual personalities and nuance their relationship with Emma. Bendis took the latter option and did a decent job of it, so I'm glad.

banky
10-04-2015, 11:21 PM
Personally speaking, the hivemind concept for the Cuckoos never made sense even when Morrison was doing it. How was Esme able to rebel? I know what he was going for with the "creepy mean girl clique" mentality but he was never consistent with it. Everybody else who tackled the Cuckoos wandered further away from the hivemind. I don't think it particularly works as a concept for kids who are on the X-Men.

There were only two good options left for them: Turn them completely to the dark side and make them an antagonistic force, especially for Emma, or have them mature into individual personalities and nuance their relationship with Emma. Bendis took the latter option and did a decent job of it, so I'm glad.

Agreed. Bendis basically ran into a wall with his other characters (either intentionally or unintentionally) to the point that they are not workable for other writers.

donpricetag
10-05-2015, 05:58 AM
Agreed. Bendis basically ran into a wall with his other characters (either intentionally or unintentionally) to the point that they are not workable for other writers.

Perhaps because he knew that we wasn't going to really effect change due to edicts preventing too much X-Men brand development? Maybe he purposely half-arsed his stories and characters? (The Complex)

I kid... Sorta.

datugu
10-05-2015, 06:22 AM
I love Triage and his powers, but he was not developed like it should. Now that many humans hate mutants and no one want to help them I wouldn't be surprise if many governments want to have him... healing can also be a weapon...

He has a lot of potential and I hope he appears after SW. Tempus is another that I love (funny that I have a story I wrote long time ago with that name, but nothing to do with time travelers XD), I loved the story when she was with Charles Xavier, even if I wanted they develop more her story traveling to time... it hurt when she lost her daughter and family and is strange that no one realized she was a little older in the end of the training...

She is the one that has more potential to do solo, hope she doesn't finish in the limbo like several characters. The only think I don't like about her is that there is something in her that remind Rogue (I love Rogue, but hate when two characters give me the same feelings).

I can see many humans fighting to control some mutants because their powers, and I think Tempus and Triage are the top of the list...

Oh, I also love Goldballs, he is cute!!!

kevlon
10-05-2015, 01:46 PM
Liked what Bendis did with the Cuckoos. I Hated all the other kid x-men he brought in.