PDA

View Full Version : Sinestro Corps Mongul vs Thor

HulkSmash666
06-07-2014, 01:05 AM
Thor takes on a multi-Yellow ringed Mongul in a fight to the death.

Fight takes place on a uninhabitated planet in some random section of the galaxy.

No prep-time.

Who wins?

Captain Morgan
06-07-2014, 08:11 AM
On the one hand Thor should be faster I think. On the other Mongul is way more powerful, and should be able to weather anything Thor can initially do and come back to win it.

byc
06-07-2014, 12:13 PM
This is actually a really good fight unless I'm missing lots of info.

I recall Thor beating Sinestro because of energy draining. Thor can probably neutralize some of the rings, but Mongul himself is just as strong or stronger than Post-Crisis Superman.

Thor is probably going to win based on being faster. Mongul probably can't land enough energy or physical shots on Thor to take him down before Thor wears out Mongul with superior speed. It'll take a while though I think.

Captain Morgan
06-07-2014, 01:43 PM
This is actually a really good fight unless I'm missing lots of info.

I recall Thor beating Sinestro because of energy draining. Thor can probably neutralize some of the rings, but Mongul himself is just as strong or stronger than Post-Crisis Superman.

Thor is probably going to win based on being faster. Mongul probably can't land enough energy or physical shots on Thor to take him down before Thor wears out Mongul with superior speed. It'll take a while though I think.

Mongul with the rings was stalemating Kyle Rayner, Sodam Yat, Guy Gardner, and like a half a dozen other named Lanterns, and was only taken out by one Lantern kamikazing from inside Mongul's body. I'm really not seeing him lose many here.

Miracleman
06-08-2014, 09:29 AM
I thought the issue with Thor vs. high end lanterns was that high end Lanterns can amp their physical stats which include speed. Wouldn't that overcome Thor who is not known for speed period? Or has Thor recieved a boost under Aaron?

StupidMoniker
06-08-2014, 03:59 PM
AFAIK none of the yellow lanterns in general, and Mongol in particular, have speed amping feats. I don't think it is a general enough power to handwave, like flight/energy blasts/basic constructs.

big_adventure
06-08-2014, 04:12 PM
The other thing with speed is that they are mostly normal human-ish speed without the amping, and they need to consciously amp. Thor is insanely faster than a normal human, so he's going to start the fight acting with relative impunity. Against a regular Lantern, that's maybe/probably enough, given the crap he can pull. Against Mongul with a bunch 'o rings, I don't know. If his legit level is equal-ish to Kyle, Guy, Sodom Yat and a bunch of other Lanterns, that's tough, even with the speed edge. Thor might be able to do something like open some dimensional portals at the level of the forearms, then dropping the hands and their rings somewhere far far away like that.

Pendaran
06-08-2014, 04:16 PM
Sodam Yat

Yes, but only John Stewart sucks more than Sodam Yat.

Guy Smiley
06-08-2014, 04:59 PM
I'd say Thor, but he's really going to have to abuse that Bloodlust by playing a heavy ranged game. Getting in close to Mongul is a losing proposition for him. He's going to have to keep his distance, energy drain all the rings while avoiding/absorbing retaliation, and then fry the warlord with repeated uses of the most powerful energy blasts he can muster, or failing that, dimension-dump Mongul now that he can't pull any potential counters to that strategy out of his rings.

Holacik
06-08-2014, 05:02 PM
Thor might be able to do something like open some dimensional portals at the level of the forearms, then dropping the hands and their rings somewhere far far away like that.

When has Thor ever done something like that? Also how long would that take?

byc
06-08-2014, 06:57 PM
If Mongul can boost his own speed, he should win.

If Mongul cannot boost his own speed, Thor should win after very long fight.

Captain Morgan
06-08-2014, 07:46 PM
The other thing with speed is that they are mostly normal human-ish speed without the amping, and they need to consciously amp. Thor is insanely faster than a normal human, so he's going to start the fight acting with relative impunity. Against a regular Lantern, that's maybe/probably enough, given the crap he can pull. Against Mongul with a bunch 'o rings, I don't know. If his legit level is equal-ish to Kyle, Guy, Sodom Yat and a bunch of other Lanterns, that's tough, even with the speed edge. Thor might be able to do something like open some dimensional portals at the level of the forearms, then dropping the hands and their rings somewhere far far away like that.

That's a hilarious strategy, actually, because the rings can dimension hop and Mongul specifically has feats for his arm soloing planets when detached from him when equipped with rings.

EDIT: Anyway, Thor is going to have a big problem trying to play defensive here, or get fancy, or sit back and try and turtle with an energy drain. As I've pointed out in other threads, there is a huge list of things a Lantern can do to Thor if he tries to focus on draining. On top of that, Mongul specifically can just step on his face, or detach his arm and have that punch him silly or other things.

The ring's auto targeting and general stat amp should be able to compensate for Thor's speed edge, as well. Thor can't do anything to sufficiently hurt Mongul in the quck draw, given Mongul is operating with a ridiculous stacked durability factor here.

And not that this is super relevant here, but I should mention that multiple rings generally doesn't entail more power (although it would make him harder to drain.) There is a bit of contradiction here, but the rings have always been able to duplicate themselves for decades, and you only have so much will/fear/whatever emotion to channel at any given time. Splitting it between multiple conduits doesn't increase the amount. Mongul rocking multiple rings was more a display of dominance to show the Sinestro Corps that he could kill them and add his rings to their collection.

big_adventure
06-09-2014, 06:20 AM
That's a hilarious strategy, actually, because the rings can dimension hop and Mongul specifically has feats for his arm soloing planets when detached from him when equipped with rings.

EDIT: Anyway, Thor is going to have a big problem trying to play defensive here, or get fancy, or sit back and try and turtle with an energy drain. As I've pointed out in other threads, there is a huge list of things a Lantern can do to Thor if he tries to focus on draining. On top of that, Mongul specifically can just step on his face, or detach his arm and have that punch him silly or other things.

The ring's auto targeting and general stat amp should be able to compensate for Thor's speed edge, as well. Thor can't do anything to sufficiently hurt Mongul in the quck draw, given Mongul is operating with a ridiculous stacked durability factor here.

And not that this is super relevant here, but I should mention that multiple rings generally doesn't entail more power (although it would make him harder to drain.) There is a bit of contradiction here, but the rings have always been able to duplicate themselves for decades, and you only have so much will/fear/whatever emotion to channel at any given time. Splitting it between multiple conduits doesn't increase the amount. Mongul rocking multiple rings was more a display of dominance to show the Sinestro Corps that he could kill them and add his rings to their collection.

Didn't know that about Mongul's go-go gadget arm. The fact that the rings can hop wasn't the point (of course they can) - the fact that my assumption was that cutting off both hands with all their rings and sending the hands elsewhere would both cause excruciating pain, and take away the ringiness from Mongul himself. Thor's not fighting a ring here, he's fighting a dude, and if Thor can get rid of the rings, the non-flying, non-energy-projecting, non-ddump-resisting though superstrong and tough guy is easy pickings.

Without prep, the ring's targetting abilities and amp potential don't really help with Thor's reaction speed edge.

That said, if Mongul is tough enough to do the mentioned "solo every named lantern ever" deal (OK, slightly pushing it there), he's going to be tough to handle. I'm firmly in the camp that says Thor can drain a ring. But 10 of them, before the lantern can get crazy? Not sure about that. Doing that while also getting past Mongul's stacked durability to do enough damage to count? Again, that's likely asking too much.

lancerman
06-09-2014, 12:39 PM
What sort of base speed feats does Mongul have without the ring. I know he can fight Superman to a relatively close battle. But there was a tendency around the time post crisis Mongul was brought out for Superman foes to not have great speed feats, with battles being PIS because Supes "forgot" he could blitz.

If Mongul already has high speed feats, that plus the amp should make things interesting.

big_adventure
06-09-2014, 01:54 PM
What sort of base speed feats does Mongul have without the ring. I know he can fight Superman to a relatively close battle. But there was a tendency around the time post crisis Mongul was brought out for Superman foes to not have great speed feats, with battles being PIS because Supes "forgot" he could blitz.

If Mongul already has high speed feats, that plus the amp should make things interesting.

I've never seen it suggested that Mongul was any kind of speedster.

Miracleman
06-09-2014, 03:23 PM
they need to bring back warrior madness,just to see how that would work against opponents of a tougher ilk

Holacik
06-09-2014, 03:48 PM
Didn't know that about Mongul's go-go gadget arm. The fact that the rings can hop wasn't the point (of course they can) - the fact that my assumption was that cutting off both hands with all their rings and sending the hands elsewhere would both cause excruciating pain, and take away the ringiness from Mongul himself. Thor's not fighting a ring here, he's fighting a dude, and if Thor can get rid of the rings, the non-flying, non-energy-projecting, non-ddump-resisting though superstrong and tough guy is easy pickings.

Without prep, the ring's targetting abilities and amp potential don't really help with Thor's reaction speed edge.

That said, if Mongul is tough enough to do the mentioned "solo every named lantern ever" deal (OK, slightly pushing it there), he's going to be tough to handle. I'm firmly in the camp that says Thor can drain a ring. But 10 of them, before the lantern can get crazy? Not sure about that. Doing that while also getting past Mongul's stacked durability to do enough damage to count? Again, that's likely asking too much.

I forgot about the arm too.

https://imageshack.com/i/mrcud7j

Captain Morgan
06-09-2014, 04:03 PM
I've seen Superman blitz Mongul on at least a couple occasions. I'm not really seeing him as having much for base line speed.

da noble savage
06-09-2014, 09:53 PM
what's thor's speed at again above bullet time but below quicksilver or something like that. I don't think he's draining all mongal's ring's before mongal can process a thought to auto target with the rings.

big_adventure
06-09-2014, 10:57 PM
what's thor's speed at again above bullet time but below quicksilver or something like that. I don't think he's draining all mongal's ring's before mongal can process a thought to auto target with the rings.

Eh, Thor without PIS can use his speed edge to absorb any energy blast Mongul can dish. Mjolnir has shown well past planet-busting energy absorption. It's quite likely the highest-end power in it's set. Mongul's best chance it to amp speed (if he has feats for such) and to charge into HtH. For all of it's hammer-ness, Mjolnir is less awesome against someone who simply has the strength and durability to go all pimp-slap-battle with Thor.

Another viable Thor tactic - dump Mongul into a black hole. Would un-amped but ringed Mongul be able to deal with that? EDIT: Note, this is a question, not a challenge to the guy - I don't know if he can or can't take this, so I'm asking.

Captain Morgan
06-10-2014, 07:36 AM
Eh, Thor without PIS can use his speed edge to absorb any energy blast Mongul can dish. Mjolnir has shown well past planet-busting energy absorption. It's quite likely the highest-end power in it's set.

The problem is a Lantern doesn't have to just launch blasts at Thor. They can transmute the air around him into anti-matter, or split atoms next to the dudes inner ear, or burn the guy from the inside out. Thor's absorption is powerful in scale but I've never seen him just pull something that could simultaneously prevent all the different offensive effects a Lantern could manifest, and the Lantern can directly control the energy Thor is trying to drain. (Yes, you can drain a ring, but 95% of the time it's done by something specially designed to, akin to Doctor Doom draining the Power Cosmic out of the Silver Surfer.)

Another viable Thor tactic - dump Mongul into a black hole. Would un-amped but ringed Mongul be able to deal with that? EDIT: Note, this is a question, not a challenge to the guy - I don't know if he can or can't take this, so I'm asking.

Oh, yeah, totally. There are tons of examples of Lanterns escaping black holes over the years. And if I were Thor I would be super hesitant to try and dump Mongul somewhere. He can come back, and program his ring to auto-attack and stuff on the way.

big_adventure
06-10-2014, 08:34 AM
The problem is a Lantern doesn't have to just launch blasts at Thor. They can transmute the air around him into anti-matter, or split atoms next to the dudes inner ear, or burn the guy from the inside out. Thor's absorption is powerful in scale but I've never seen him just pull something that could simultaneously prevent all the different offensive effects a Lantern could manifest, and the Lantern can directly control the energy Thor is trying to drain. (Yes, you can drain a ring, but 95% of the time it's done by something specially designed to, akin to Doctor Doom draining the Power Cosmic out of the Silver Surfer.)

Oh, yeah, totally. There are tons of examples of Lanterns escaping black holes over the years. And if I were Thor I would be super hesitant to try and dump Mongul somewhere. He can come back, and program his ring to auto-attack and stuff on the way.

As far as the dump thing goes, just for clarification, are they protected by autoshields from that, or do they have to consciously amp to that level? Because Mongul's not really going to have time to amp with his significant speed deficit, and I've never seen anyone claim (even you :-) ) that Lantern autoshields are on "no-sell black hole level." Granted, Mongul's tougher than most Lanterns, being, you know, Mongul, so his story could be different. What is his best unamped-but-ringed durability feat?

The transmutation thing is something Thor can do as well, and obviously, high-level energy projection and manipulation. I mean, he can transmute the air in Mongul's lungs into plasma or something.

For draining the ring, here's the thing - Thor, being faster, can (or ought to be able to) blitz-drain a ring. That's the kind of thing Thor's done. He doesn't need a blast tossed at him to drain - he knows the ring runs on power and that it has a finite source. He shuts that down/drains it. The problem here, against Mongul, is that the guy is wearing a lot of rings, so it's a lot more draining. And, even with the speed edge, it's not like Mongul needs a lot of time to activate one ring. So Thor might well manage to drain several rings before Mongul gets crazy, but he eventually probably will. And since the dude is physically tough enough to hang with kryptonians, plus he's got ring defenses that he can amp if Thor doesn't drain everything on the blitz, Thor's not going to be able to trivially kill him while draining rings, so if he tries to drain off the bat, it is likely not to work.

So, his best bets would be ways to either one-shot Mongul (drop into the Crunch, drop him into a supermassive star, drop him into the Cancerverse, drop him into black hole, drop him into Mushelpheim, etc., none of which seems likely to work, given what Cap'En is saying), or get rid of all the rings at once (which doesn't seem likely, if Mongul's arms are capable of wielding rings on their own, detached from his body). If all of that is right, I'm not sure Thor's got an easy way to win it.

Surtur
06-10-2014, 10:15 AM
I've seen Superman blitz Mongul on at least a couple occasions. I'm not really seeing him as having much for base line speed.

Yeah, I'm not sure why anyone would think Mongul has any level of super speed. Other then the classic "fought a dude who has it".

Captain Morgan
06-10-2014, 10:18 AM
As far as the dump thing goes, just for clarification, are they protected by autoshields from that, or do they have to consciously amp to that level? Because Mongul's not really going to have time to amp with his significant speed deficit, and I've never seen anyone claim (even you :-) )

Actually, given the ring's performance against black holes and other cosmic type things, I would be pretty surprised if the autoshields collapsed before the wearer could take any action to amp them.

Mongul specifically was able to escape Mother Mercy's gravitational effects, which had done what black holes failed to do and overpowered top tier Lanterns actively resisting.

For draining the ring, here's the thing - Thor, being faster, can (or ought to be able to) blitz-drain a ring. That's the kind of thing Thor's done. He doesn't need a blast tossed at him to drain - he knows the ring runs on power and that it has a finite source. He shuts that down/drains it.

Honestly, I've never seen Thor instantly something as potent as a ring dry. He's managed to drain really powerful things, but it's not something he does with a flick of his wrist and it takes time that a Lantern doesn't have to allow him.

lancerman
06-10-2014, 11:39 AM
I've never seen it suggested that Mongul was any kind of speedster.

I'm not implying that at all. I'm just saying that when you take a guy like Hal for instance, he is of average human speed. Without the ring he is probably the naturally slowest guy on the Justice League. Hal uses his ring to amp his speed up to keep up with other guys.

Mongul by virtue of being able to contend with a guy as fast as superman may have a much greater base speed for when he applies the amp. Or it might be nothing. Just wondering because the contention here seems to be that speed is whats giving Thor the chance

Surtur
06-10-2014, 11:46 AM
Lots of people with no speed "contend" with Superman.

lancerman
06-10-2014, 11:58 AM
Lots of people with no speed "contend" with Superman.

That's why I was asking.

big_adventure
06-10-2014, 12:49 PM
I'm not implying that at all. I'm just saying that when you take a guy like Hal for instance, he is of average human speed. Without the ring he is probably the naturally slowest guy on the Justice League. Hal uses his ring to amp his speed up to keep up with other guys.

Actually, Hal almost never does anything of the sort. He's by far the slowest member of the League (in reaction time). In most cases, just like on every team ever, everyone charges in at roughly the same speed on panel. It's logically ridiculous, but means that everyone gets involved. Seriously, the Avengers have been in an engagement with interstellar threats, and somehow both Thor and Black Widow have important roles. That's plot talking. Same for the league - Superman and Batman are on the same team. That only works when the plot gods make it work - which they do, because it engages everyone.

Mongul by virtue of being able to contend with a guy as fast as superman may have a much greater base speed for when he applies the amp. Or it might be nothing. Just wondering because the contention here seems to be that speed is whats giving Thor the chance

Not how it works here, ever. Show speed or you don't get it.

Crawfo
06-10-2014, 03:38 PM
I don't think I have ever seen a Lantern successfully resist an energy drain before.. even Sinestro was easily drained by a non powered Hal using a Manhunter head.

Captain Morgan
06-10-2014, 08:36 PM
I don't think I have ever seen a Lantern successfully resist an energy drain before.. even Sinestro was easily drained by a non powered Hal using a Manhunter head.

Hal does so here (http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss225/OdinBorson/KronaandIon1.jpg). There are examples of Manhunters and similar technology being used to drain the rings, but that's using extremely specialized technology. It's like saying Thor can effortlessly drain the Silver Surfer because he couldn't resist Doctor Doom's power jacking harness on more than one occasion.

Crawfo
06-10-2014, 09:47 PM
Hal does so here (http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss225/OdinBorson/KronaandIon1.jpg). There are examples of Manhunters and similar technology being used to drain the rings, but that's using extremely specialized technology. It's like saying Thor can effortlessly drain the Silver Surfer because he couldn't resist Doctor Doom's power jacking harness on more than one occasion.

Hal resisting Krona seems like an outlier esp when he can't resist Manhunter tech.. also trying to drain the Surfer (who innately is constantly absorbing cosmic energy) is not the same as draining a power ring which has a finite charge.

Slade1
06-11-2014, 06:14 AM
Don't the rings have the ability to absorb energy right back?

big_adventure
06-11-2014, 07:40 AM
If the user chooses to, sure. If the user is blitzed, then not so much.

Captain Morgan
06-11-2014, 03:01 PM
Hal resisting Krona seems like an outlier esp when he can't resist Manhunter tech.. .

Again, it's Guardian tech that was redesigned for that specific purpose. Trying to use that as an example of the rings being especially vulnerable doesn't track, at least without some other examples to back it up.

also trying to drain the Surfer (who innately is constantly absorbing cosmic energy) is not the same as draining a power ring which has a finite charge

We've seen specialized tech suck both of them dry just fine.

If the user chooses to, sure. If the user is blitzed, then not so much.

Again, I don't think Thor has showings of instantly depleting a power source of this caliber. He's certainly drained things on par or higher, but it's generally a sustained effort across a period of time.

big_adventure
06-11-2014, 03:28 PM
Again, I don't think Thor has showings of instantly depleting a power source of this caliber. He's certainly drained things on par or higher, but it's generally a sustained effort across a period of time.

Admittedly, like lots of stuff here, it is probably questionable. His best feats are things like shutting down Classic "I mainline Cytorrak and everything is a joke to me" Juggernaut instantly, or instantly absorbing the galaxy-busting-in-narrative, at least multi-planet-busting in direct effect bomb thing, and redirecting that energy to relight a few suns, all in a panel or two. I mean, Mjolnir is basically Marvel "I'm so badass I'm going to turn left, you all better duck so you don't get knocked over by my johnson" Odin's best work, being driven by a guy with thousands of years of experience with it.

Pendaran
06-11-2014, 03:32 PM
or instantly absorbing the galaxy-busting-in-narrative,

The bomb never detonated to cause that kind of effect/have that reaction.

Captain Morgan
06-11-2014, 04:25 PM
Admittedly, like lots of stuff here, it is probably questionable. His best feats are things like shutting down Classic "I mainline Cytorrak and everything is a joke to me" Juggernaut instantly,

That showing only disrupted Cain's force field, which still left him a class 100 that was able to whether a beating from Thor for just under a minute. It also wasn't just riffled off-- Thor fires off some sort of "scanning" blast to determine that he can do it, and has to separate himself from Mjonir to do it. It's also described in the comic as a "spell" which specifically Thor could specifically use because it involved mystical energy. The whole process takes enough time for them to have a conversation about it while it is happening. And I know comics are infamous for cramming an unreasonable amount of dialogue into things, but still.

http://www.universomarvel.com.aq/Thor/Thor-Juggernaut-1.jpg
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/4/44936/1968132-juggernautvsthor4.jpg

What I am getting at it is that showing doesn't actually support draining a ring dry before a Lantern can think, since it clearly takes time to happen on panel, which gives a Lantern a chance to respond.

big_adventure
06-11-2014, 04:26 PM
The bomb never detonated to cause that kind of effect/have that reaction.

Hence me saying "in narrative" :-)

Crawfo
06-12-2014, 11:29 PM
Some examples of Power rings being drained. I haven't noticed before but both Sinestro and Hal seem to physically feel the effects of the drain. (Kyle was just completely powerjacked by magic).

Matt the Manly
06-13-2014, 12:08 AM
Regarding GL autoshields....
The time John Stewart's auto shields continued to protect him with zero effort on John's part....continued to protect J'onn too , miles away, even as a star system exploded......is that a massive outlier or what?

Captain Morgan
06-13-2014, 09:34 AM
Some examples of Power rings being drained. I haven't noticed before but both Sinestro and Hal seem to physically feel the effects of the drain. (Kyle was just completely powerjacked by magic).

You're citing the Manhunters, which are a highly form of technology designed to drain rings, Black Hand's rod, which is the same. I addressed that already.

The other thing you are citing is a guy who literally tapping the souls of the people on panel, which includes Flash there as well. It's not a power drain in the traditional sense. Sebastian Faust could pull that trick on just about any metahuman under the sun to copy their powers. Dude has done that with most of the JLA, the Outsiders, and Zatanna. Does Thor have feats of copying powers, or mucking about with other people's souls that I am unaware of? If not, it isn't exactly something he can replicate.

Crawfo
06-13-2014, 10:35 PM
You're citing the Manhunters, which are a highly form of technology designed to drain rings, Black Hand's rod, which is the same. I addressed that already.

The other thing you are citing is a guy who literally tapping the souls of the people on panel, which includes Flash there as well. It's not a power drain in the traditional sense. Sebastian Faust could pull that trick on just about any metahuman under the sun to copy their powers. Dude has done that with most of the JLA, the Outsiders, and Zatanna. Does Thor have feats of copying powers, or mucking about with other people's souls that I am unaware of? If not, it isn't exactly something he can replicate.

Mjolnir is definitely not specialist Manhunter/Diving Rod tech, and doesn't need to be really, as it is better than either when it comes to energy draining and soak. Aside from that Hal/Krona outlier, you haven't provided any evidence of Ring users effectively resisting an energy drain.

Instead of focusing solely on the Power ring's inability to resist a drain I will pony up some instances of Thor using Mjolnir to drain his opponents. First up, The Presence being unable to resist an energy drain. The second is Marduk being power drained (Marduk is empowered by human soul absorption). So those are feats of radiation and soul absorption.

Crawfo
06-13-2014, 10:49 PM
Here is Mjolnir draining Kang's armour. Also the last scan addresses your argument of if somehow Mongul resists a drain and conjurs up a construct behind Thor, Mjolnir can just draw the energy into itself as it did with the Silver Surfer's cosmic blasts.

Runestar
06-16-2014, 07:47 AM
I do not see any way mongol can truly take down thor in this fight. This is thors win hands down.

Slade1
06-16-2014, 09:04 AM
I do not see any way mongol can truly take down thor in this fight. This is thors win hands down.

What's to stop Mongol from transmuting Thor into a statue? He won't have enough time to drain all the rings before Mongol gets fancy.

Captain Morgan
06-16-2014, 10:26 AM
Here is Mjolnir draining Kang's armour. Also the last scan addresses your argument of if somehow Mongul resists a drain and conjurs up a construct behind Thor, Mjolnir can just draw the energy into itself as it did with the Silver Surfer's cosmic blasts.

Thor is clearly facing the direction of the Surfer there, so that's not really showing what you say it's showing.

Mjolnir is definitely not specialist Manhunter/Diving Rod tech, and doesn't need to be really, as it is better than either when it comes to energy draining and soak. Aside from that Hal/Krona outlier, you haven't provided any evidence of Ring users effectively resisting an energy drain.

Larfleeze drains ring energy, and the GLs were still able to successfully fight his Orange Lanterns, managing to blast apart constructs which absorbed energy on contact.

There is also this, though admittedly I don't see it as likely they will be burning Mjolnir (http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/9/93477/3092199-2054671-legendsofthedcu28p039cr__1_.jpg)out. And here (http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/9/93477/3092198-2053855-greenlantern168_15__1_.jpg)Hal wills the energy back into his ring. Not totally sure on the date here though, and I want to make sure this isn't pre-crisis.

Instead of focusing solely on the Power ring's inability to resist a drain I will pony up some instances of Thor using Mjolnir to drain his opponents. First up, The Presence being unable to resist an energy drain. The second is Marduk being power drained (Marduk is empowered by human soul absorption). So those are feats of radiation and soul absorption.

These are good scans. I have no point of reference for how powerful these guys are though. And the example with Marduk doesn't seem especially comparable to what Faust did to Kyle-- one is just an energy drain, the other is metaphysically tapping a soul to copy super powers.

Crawfo
06-17-2014, 02:18 AM
Hello Captain!

Thor is clearly facing the direction of the Surfer there, so that's not really showing what you say it's showing.

It's showing that Mjolnir can draw energy into itself. The SS is stating this on panel and the energy bolt (his) is depicted being drawn into the hammer. I don't see any wriggle room here to claim otherwise.

Larfleeze drains ring energy, and the GLs were still able to successfully fight his Orange Lanterns, managing to blast apart constructs which absorbed energy on contact.

"Consuming" is Larfleeze's whole thing though, I wouldn't be so fast to transfer his feats to other ring users, his whole "corps" is just different. Without knowing the specifics it sounds like these constructs are serving their purpose via suicide. Can you provide a scan of for this?

There is also this, though admittedly I don't see it as likely they will be burning Mjolnir (http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/9/93477/3092199-2054671-legendsofthedcu28p039cr__1_.jpg)out. And here (http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/9/93477/3092198-2053855-greenlantern168_15__1_.jpg)Hal wills the energy back into his ring. Not totally sure on the date here though, and I want to make sure this isn't pre-crisis.

You're right, in fact there is zero chance Mjolnir will burn out in this rumble. (It has easily absorbed and held enough life force to resurrect all of Asgard, two Mjolnir's recently absorbed the energies of a Godbomb). That scan of Hal absorbing energy is good, is it resisting an energy drain, or soaking up ambient energy, do you have the prev page(s)?

These are good scans. I have no point of reference for how powerful these guys are though. And the example with Marduk doesn't seem especially comparable to what Faust did to Kyle-- one is just an energy drain, the other is metaphysically tapping a soul to copy super powers.

I'm not saying Thor would copy the ring's power set a la Seb Faust, it was an example of Thor draining, lack of a better word here, soul force. Though for the record, Mjolnir has also absorbed life force, cosmic energy, magnetic energy, mystical energy and so on and so on.

Captain Morgan
06-19-2014, 08:48 PM
Hello Captain!

Hiya, Crawford. Sorry for the delay here. Real life stuff.

It's showing that Mjolnir can draw energy into itself. The SS is stating this on panel and the energy bolt (his) is depicted being drawn into the hammer. I don't see any wriggle room here to claim otherwise.

It clearly isn't being drawn in from behind him, though. And in Mongul's particular case, while Thor is draining a ring in front of him, Mongul can launch his arm to nail the guy in the head. Mongul's really on another level-- the tricks which could arguably work on a lesser Lantern are much, much less so to work on him.

"Consuming" is Larfleeze's whole thing though, I wouldn't be so fast to transfer his feats to other ring users, his whole "corps" is just different. Without knowing the specifics it sounds like these constructs are serving their purpose via suicide. Can you provide a scan of for this?

I'm not suggesting transferring his feats, I am saying the Orange Lanterns drain ring energy and other Lanterns have managed to fight still. But here are scans! They are from different issues so I'm not going over the scan limit.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/14/146089/2955724-gl41-014.jpg

http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqtkxmDGXI1qgin2lo1_500.jpg
http://glspotlight.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/gl41a.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YSCY0LT8-Ts/UBcX3uNcMYI/AAAAAAAAATE/WTFFTkfIMqA/s1600/GLNG+rumble.png

That last one was in the Nu continuity, but despite the Orange Lanterns soaking up ring energy various Lanterns of various colors have managed to fight the things across multiple issues.

You're right, in fact there is zero chance Mjolnir will burn out in this rumble. (It has easily absorbed and held enough life force to resurrect all of Asgard, two Mjolnir's recently absorbed the energies of a Godbomb). That scan of Hal absorbing energy is good, is it resisting an energy drain, or soaking up ambient energy, do you have the prev page(s)?

I don't have the page, sorry. I will try to find it. I believe they sucked the energy out of the ring and he willed it back in. I've also heard mention of Hal resisting a drain from Doctor Light at some point, who mentioned Oan energy was harder to deal with, but I haven't been able to find a scan or issue number to back that up yet.

I'm not saying Thor would copy the ring's power set a la Seb Faust, it was an example of Thor draining, lack of a better word here, soul force. Though for the record, Mjolnir has also absorbed life force, cosmic energy, magnetic energy, mystical energy and so on and so on

Thor DOES have a lot of draining feats. I do believe he could suck up Oan blasts and such. I don't believe he could drain a ring dry before a Lantern has a chance to and counter it, either by attacking him or contesting the drain directly. Combined with Thor's speed and it does put the Lantern on the defensive early. I don't buy that netting Thor the win 10/10 times, but it can certainly win him some fair fraction of them.

I don't see that working so much on Mongul, with his multiple rings to drain, crazy feats, and detachable arm.

Crawfo
06-20-2014, 04:03 AM
Hiya, Crawford. Sorry for the delay here. Real life stuff.

It clearly isn't being drawn in from behind him, though. And in Mongul's particular case, while Thor is draining a ring in front of him, Mongul can launch his arm to nail the guy in the head. Mongul's really on another level-- the tricks which could arguably work on a lesser Lantern are much, much less so to work on him.

I'm not suggesting transferring his feats, I am saying the Orange Lanterns drain ring energy and other Lanterns have managed to fight still. But here are scans! They are from different issues so I'm not going over the scan limit.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/14/146089/2955724-gl41-014.jpg

http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqtkxmDGXI1qgin2lo1_500.jpg
http://glspotlight.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/gl41a.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YSCY0LT8-Ts/UBcX3uNcMYI/AAAAAAAAATE/WTFFTkfIMqA/s1600/GLNG+rumble.png

That last one was in the Nu continuity, but despite the Orange Lanterns soaking up ring energy various Lanterns of various colors have managed to fight the things across multiple issues.

I don't have the page, sorry. I will try to find it. I believe they sucked the energy out of the ring and he willed it back in. I've also heard mention of Hal resisting a drain from Doctor Light at some point, who mentioned Oan energy was harder to deal with, but I haven't been able to find a scan or issue number to back that up yet.

Thor DOES have a lot of draining feats. I do believe he could suck up Oan blasts and such. I don't believe he could drain a ring dry before a Lantern has a chance to and counter it, either by attacking him or contesting the drain directly. Combined with Thor's speed and it does put the Lantern on the defensive early. I don't buy that netting Thor the win 10/10 times, but it can certainly win him some fair fraction of them.

I don't see that working so much on Mongul, with his multiple rings to drain, crazy feats, and detachable arm.

Hey Captain, while I am still doubtful Lanterns can actively resist an energy drain, so whatever you can find would be good. (Love that GL passion). If I spot anything else Thor/GL wise I'll will throw it up here as well.

Detachable arm. Still undecided if silly or awesome....