PDA

View Full Version : The Covenant vs the Systems Alliance

Endless_Legend
06-11-2014, 03:48 AM
Scenario:

The Covenant discover mankind, and the Prophets decide that it's the will of the gods that they be cleansed from the universe.

however, the mankind they run into isn't the USNC, it's the Terran Systems Alliance, from Mass Effect.

How does the war go? Does the Alliance do better or worse than the UNSC did? Do N7's have a similar track record of victories compared to the Spartans?

blackpariah
06-14-2014, 06:13 PM
Scenario:

The Covenant discover mankind, and the Prophets decide that it's the will of the gods that they be cleansed from the universe.

however, the mankind they run into isn't the USNC, it's the Terran Systems Alliance, from Mass Effect.

How does the war go? Does the Alliance do better or worse than the UNSC did? Do N7's have a similar track record of victories compared to the Spartans?

I would assume that the Systems Alliance has much better shield technology than the UNSC, but in terms of how much damage the ships can put out, my memory fails me. I think the Covenant ships would fall to the superior firing rate of the Alliance ships, but that's basically a wild guess.
Also, N7 agents are pretty amped but nothing compared to Spartans. Shepard being a mostly cybernetic determinator is an outlier.

Endless_Legend
06-14-2014, 06:29 PM
I would assume that the Systems Alliance has much better shield technology than the UNSC, but in terms of how much damage the ships can put out, my memory fails me. I think the Covenant ships would fall to the superior firing rate of the Alliance ships, but that's basically a wild guess.
Also, N7 agents are pretty amped but nothing compared to Spartans. Shepard being a mostly cybernetic determinator is an outlier.

Well, the UNSC didn't have shields at all when the war started, so the Systems Alliance already has a huge leg up.

I've read a couple of threads in other places that seemed convinced that N7's could take on Spartans and win. At least, the standard systems alliance Marine receives pretty serious genetic engineering, and the N7s even moreso. They don't get power suits, but they do have personal shields.

BitVyper
06-14-2014, 08:05 PM
Personal shields and essentially large scale psychic manipulation of gravity fields. Also infinite ammo if they decide to do the smart thing and ditch thermal clips, because goddamn, there is just no way slightly-higher-firing-rates (IIRC, the given in-universe reason for the switch to thermal clips) will compensate for the massive logistical advantage of having a military where every soldier has essentially infinite ammo at extremely low cost to produce.

For the record, as of ME2, Earth's battleship class weapons impact with the force of 38 kiloton explosions.

Hiromi
06-14-2014, 08:12 PM
IIRC the yield of capital ship big guns for the UNSC and Systems alliance big guns mostly came out to be roughly equal with UNSC ships having more powerful shots but much slower firing rates, however I don't believe Thanix cannons were ever given yields other than packing a massive punch for their size(given that a small ship like the Normandy could two shot a Collector Dreadnought with one fitted for that size of ship when it had solo'd a small group of Turian ships previously).

Now infantry wise the Alliance is operating on a MUCH higher tech level than the average UNSC Marine, if you go into Mass Effect 3 multiplayer you really start seeing some of the nastier stuff that Shepard didn't get to play with.

Endless_Legend
06-14-2014, 08:13 PM
Personal shields and essentially large scale psychic manipulation of gravity fields. Also infinite ammo if they decide to do the smart thing and ditch thermal clips, because goddamn, there is just no way slightly-higher-firing-rates (IIRC, the given in-universe reason for the switch to thermal clips) will compensate for the massive logistical advantage of having a military where every soldier has essentially infinite ammo at extremely low cost to produce.

For the record, as of ME2, Earth's battleship class weapons impact with the force of 38 kiloton explosions.

So, about the same firepower as the MAC guns the UNSC was using early in the war. That's fine. Having shields other Mass Effect technology is still a huge advantage, as is having greatly superior infantry compared to what the UNSC had for most of the war. (I think, based on what we see, an Alliance Marine is probably comparable to a Spartan-III wearing SPI armor.)

And of course, FTL in Mass Effect is way, way faster than in Halo. You can cross the galaxy in a matter of hours if you use the Relays (and most of that time is local system travel between the ends of Relay pairs). Even without them, your primary limitation is fuel, not speed.

The "Thermal Clips" thing was stupid. Any energy weapon still needs a power source. Why didn't they just call them batteries or ammo? The only reason you had unlimited ammo in ME1 is because the developers didn't want the players to have to bother with things like scrounging for ammo clips, because that would break the Sci-fi feel of the game.

Hiromi
06-14-2014, 08:16 PM
I actually did the math a while back and even the non Mass Relay FTL they used was roughly on par with high level Star Trek warp speed.

Edit: And going back to ground combat, the Hammerhead outclasses ANYTHING ground vehicle wise the USNC had and honestly probably anything the Covenant had either by just a ridiculous amount(hover vehicle, very high speed, unbelievable acceleration(basically goes from hovering to it's top speed of 120 km/h in a few seconds)shielded, a self repair system, auto locking missile launchers with lots and lots of ammo, can boost jump to the point that it has virtual low level short time flight, etc), for that matter a Mako could run rings around a Scorpion and blow it to pieces as well.