PDA

View Full Version : United Nations/NATO VS...tribble invasion.

T51R
06-12-2014, 12:31 AM
Why only the UN/NATO?

Because the rest of us are...already dead. That's right, you're the only ones left, so best of luck boys; the rest of us will dine in hell as we await your possible arrival!:D

Can the lot of you who are still alive, stave off an invasion of TRIBBLES which has gone on for two years, and has already consumed every nation which is not in the UN/NATO?

:p

Endless_Legend
06-12-2014, 02:17 AM
Carpet bombing/napalm everything between those other nations and the survivors. Create a no-man's land.

Tribbles need to eat. After they've consumed the biosphere of where they are, there's nothing left for them to eat. They'll literally breed themselves to death. Plus, they've only killed a pretty small portion of the world since most of the world's nations are UN members, so we still have time. Come to think of it, just glassing those tribble-zones with nukes would be a valid strategy.

Also, they can't cross oceans. So if nothing else, people in Australia, New Zealand, and Great Britain (and North/South America, for that matter) will carry on for the rest of us.

The Watcher
06-12-2014, 05:58 AM
How do tribbles taste? Because if they taste ok grilled we could nip this problem in the bud by rolling out the new McDonald's Tribble Burger and let demand take care of the supply problem

Carabas
06-12-2014, 07:03 AM
Nations not in the UN have been defeated? That's mostly just Kosovo, Taiwan and the Vatican that are out of the game then, right?

Why are completely seperate organisations like NATO (basically just the USA and its buddies) and the UN linked together like this?

Blackid
06-12-2014, 08:03 AM
How do tribbles taste? Because if they taste ok grilled we could nip this problem in the bud by rolling out the new McDonald's Tribble Burger and let demand take care of the supply problem

This is my question... they were basically not killed because they were an alien race correct? And the USS Enterprise was not about killing but you overpopulate a country with a "hamster/rodent-like animal" Tribble Season is open until further notice!

Tribbles, mmmmm, taste like chicken (or whatever your common food is in your neck of the woods)

T51R
06-12-2014, 08:54 AM
Nations not in the UN have been defeated? That's mostly just Kosovo, Taiwan and the Vatican that are out of the game then, right?

Why are completely seperate organisations like NATO (basically just the USA and its buddies) and the UN linked together like this?

Because Tribbles. Tribbles need no logic; they are tribbles.

BitVyper
06-12-2014, 10:42 AM
IIRC, tribbles wiped out the food supplies on multiple planets so effectively that the Klingon empire couldn't stop them. If they've already established a big enough base to have wiped out a few countries here, I think the UN has like, maybe half a day before tribbles are everywhere.

Edit: Looking back at the original episode, Spock estimates that a given tribble produces a litter of ten in a twelve hour period, with a single load of grain having sustained the births of over a million, so yeah, if they've eaten multiple nations out of food already, half a day is what the UN has before the entire world is tribbles.

StupidMoniker
06-12-2014, 12:05 PM
I thought the Klingons hunted them to extinction, as related in the DS9 episode "Trials and Tribble-ations".

The MunchKING
06-12-2014, 12:26 PM
This is my question... they were basically not killed because they were an alien race correct?

And because they had bliss-center triggering hums, yeah.

BitVyper
06-12-2014, 01:57 PM
I thought the Klingons hunted them to extinction, as related in the DS9 episode "Trials and Tribble-ations".

I believe that was their response to having their empire threatened by the event I mentioned.

The MunchKING
06-15-2014, 05:51 PM

Are there any nations in NATO that aren't in the UN?

Endless_Legend
06-15-2014, 06:56 PM
Edit: Looking back at the original episode, Spock estimates that a given tribble produces a litter of ten in a twelve hour period, with a single load of grain having sustained the births of over a million, so yeah, if they've eaten multiple nations out of food already, half a day is what the UN has before the entire world is tribbles.

Other than the island ones, yeah.

So basically, it's either nuke-time, or Australia, New Zealand, and Indonesia just became the last refuges of mankind.

Jonathan
06-15-2014, 07:04 PM
Mass firebombing should work wonders.

BitVyper
06-15-2014, 07:21 PM
So basically, it's either nuke-time, or Australia, New Zealand, and Indonesia just became the last refuges of mankind.

Which is ironic, considering that rabbits-in-Australia were the inspiration for tribbles.

I doubt they can cover enough ground in little enough time. You're talking about basically glassing multiple nations. With the tribble reproductive cycle being what it is, winning the numbers game when they're already so established is, I'm pretty sure, beyond the capability of any modern military. Maybe with large scale, immediate deployment of nukes, but that's about it,and there's presumably quite a bit of red tape to get around to deploy even one nuke. I'm not sure it can be accomplished fast enough; maybe in the cold war era when everyone's fingers were on the trigger, but I don't think now.

Jonathan
06-15-2014, 07:31 PM
Which is ironic, considering that rabbits-in-Australia were the inspiration for tribbles.

I doubt they can cover enough ground in little enough time. You're talking about basically glassing multiple nations. With the tribble reproductive cycle being what it is, winning the numbers game when they're already so established is, I'm pretty sure, beyond the capability of any modern military. Maybe with large scale, immediate deployment of nukes, but that's about it,and there's presumably quite a bit of red tape to get around to deploy even one nuke. I'm not sure it can be accomplished fast enough; maybe in the cold war era when everyone's fingers were on the trigger, but I don't think now.

What about nerve gas attacks?

BitVyper
06-15-2014, 07:39 PM
What about nerve gas attacks?

Same basic problem with the added disadvantage that I really doubt enough nerve gas exists to pull that off. Stockpiling it is illegal, I'm pretty sure.

The MunchKING
06-15-2014, 07:57 PM

That "Single load of Grain" was a carrier bringing enough grain to start a new planetary colony. So it's not like it was a small amount of grain...

BitVyper
06-15-2014, 08:57 PM
No yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like a truckload. It was definitely a large load, but it's still going to be utterly tiny compared to the food supplies of entire nations.

The MunchKING
06-15-2014, 09:13 PM
No yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like a truckload. It was definitely a large load, but it's still going to be utterly tiny compared to the food supplies of entire nations.

Depends on the Nations. I doubt Vatican city even HAS food production. :p

BitVyper
06-15-2014, 09:29 PM
Taiwan, on the other hand...

Endless_Legend
06-15-2014, 10:51 PM

I mentioned using Nukes already, which are essentially just really big firebombs + radiation, in terms of the damage they do.

Endless_Legend
06-15-2014, 10:54 PM
maybe in the cold war era when everyone's fingers were on the trigger, but I don't think now.

*clears throat*

Just some real-life FYI. Everyone's fingers are still on the trigger. That never really stopped.

The news media doesn't talk about it now anymore, because the (relatively) cooler Cold War we're in with Putin-Russian isn't as overtly hostile. But we still have ICBMs pointed at them, they have ICBMs pointed at us. We still have Boomer subs, they still have Boomer subs.

Carabas
06-16-2014, 03:22 AM
Are there any nations in NATO that aren't in the UN?Nope.

NATO is a military aliance that is basically America and its WWII European allies. There's only 28 countries in it. It's tiny compared to the UN.

Which is why the OP's post doesn't make sense.
Non-UN/NATO nations have already been tribbleised. So, China, Russia... are they in or out? They're in the UN but not in NATO.

T51R
06-16-2014, 03:55 AM
Non-UN/NATO nations have already been tribbleised. So, China, Russia... are they in or out? They're in the UN but not in NATO.

Let's put them in. They're big players, and no tribble scenario is complete without we-who-eat-anyrything. :p

BitVyper
06-16-2014, 08:31 AM
*clears throat*

Just some real-life FYI. Everyone's fingers are still on the trigger. That never really stopped.

The news media doesn't talk about it now anymore, because the (relatively) cooler Cold War we're in with Putin-Russian isn't as overtly hostile. But we still have ICBMs pointed at them, they have ICBMs pointed at us. We still have Boomer subs, they still have Boomer subs.

Yeah, but I'm not sure how quickly anyone could actually fire theirs now compared with the cold war era. Maybe I'm wrong, but I suspect there's a lot more procedure involved now.