PDA

View Full Version : Benedict of Amber vs Shao Kahn

BitVyper
06-13-2014, 12:57 AM
The shadows Kahn controls are getting uncomfortably close to Amber, and Random has asked Benedict to overthrow his empire. Benedict has access to any of Amber's resources that he could reasonably expect to access, and is allowed to go off into shadows to build up whatever sort of army he likes. No Ghostwheel or Spikard or anything from Merlin's side of things allowed though. Can he pull it off?

Endless_Legend
06-13-2014, 08:56 AM
Absolutely. Benedict was both a supreme general and supreme warrior. He also had the blood of amber and the magic of The Pattern. Even without stuff like Ghostwheel or the Spikard, every Prince of Amber was a master Sorcerer as well. Plus the whole superhuman physical attributes thing and shadow-walking.

Knowing Benedict he'd probably use a near-Shadow of Outworld and manage to start a war between it and Outworld, saving him much of the trouble. Then move in an mop-up afterwards with his own army raised in one of the Amber-shadows (because why waste men from Amber itself when you can find a ready pool of near-Amber recruits?)

The MunchKING
06-13-2014, 09:17 AM
The shadows Kahn controls are getting uncomfortably close to Amber, and Random has asked Benedict to overthrow his empire. Benedict has access to any of Amber's resources that he could reasonably expect to access, and is allowed to go off into shadows to build up whatever sort of army he likes. No Ghostwheel or Spikard or anything from Merlin's side of things allowed though. Can he pull it off?

This is not only a stomp this is a HILARRIOUS stomp. (At least as far as I ever saw in the Mortal Kombat Series).

Benedict spends millennia learning every POSSIBLE minutia of battle or warfare. Shao Kahn is a posturing fool with a bit of power.

Benedict has the multiverse to work with. Shao Kahn has weird rules that keep him in check (the mythology behind the Mortal Kombat tournament IIRC).

Benedict has almost never been beaten. Shao Kahn ALWAYS gets beaten and usually by a skilled, mostly ordinary, human with some Ki tricks.

The MunchKING
06-13-2014, 09:18 AM
Absolutely. Benedict was both a supreme general and supreme warrior. He also had the blood of amber and the magic of The Pattern. Even without stuff like Ghostwheel or the Spikard, every Prince of Amber was a master Sorcerer as well.

When did they say that? Corwin seemed to think it was really weird that the red-heads were sorcerers, and implied the rest of them weren't like that.

BitVyper
06-13-2014, 09:52 AM
every Prince of Amber was a master Sorcerer as well.

No they weren't. It was mostly just the ones who had the same mother as Brand, IIRC.

They're all implied to have some understanding of magic, but that's it.

Endless_Legend
06-13-2014, 03:52 PM
Well, it has been ages since I read the Amber books, I remembered them all knowing magic, but perhaps it wasn't that extensive.

Still, Benedict wins for all the other aforementioned reasons.

Shellhead
06-13-2014, 04:47 PM
Corwin demonstrated some knowledge and capability with magic in The Guns of Avalon. At one point, he gave a mystical hotfoot to a demon by just saying a mystic word and the creature's name. As part of his mastery of all aspects of warfare, Benedict almost certainly must have learned some about magic, though he is never seen using it.

Endless_Legend
06-13-2014, 10:46 PM
True, I'd forgotten that Corwin was no slouch when it came to magic.

Benedict basically never needed to use it. There was no situation he'd ever gotten into where his martial prowess, or brilliance and strategic forsight, couldn't get him out of it.

Although there is that bit about him getting his hand bitten off. How did that happen? I know it's because he's supposed to be a pastiche of Tyr, the god of War in Norse Mythology.

BitVyper
06-13-2014, 11:30 PM
Corwin was basically the Mario; balanced abilities in everything where most of the other noteworthy princes were really weighted to one area. Random was practically his opposite in that he was sorta balanced-but-shit.

The MunchKING
06-15-2014, 07:03 AM
Although there is that bit about him getting his hand bitten off. How did that happen? I know it's because he's supposed to be a pastiche of Tyr, the god of War in Norse Mythology.

they sorta-imply he was busy boning a chick from the Courts of Chaos during the Black Road campaign and she cut it off when he wasn't expecting an attack.