PDA

View Full Version : DC Rebirth: BLUE BEETLE

carrowsboy
02-27-2016, 11:17 PM
Jamie Reyes' solo books have failed numerous times.

What makes them think this time will be any different?

Cyberpunk Ronin
02-28-2016, 12:08 AM
Numerous times? That would indicate that he's been consistently a failure, which is not the case. His first series did well. I'm hoping that the series features Jamie and Ted.

Sodam Yat
02-28-2016, 03:07 AM
Numerous times? That would indicate that he's been consistently a failure, which is not the case. His first series did well. I'm hoping that the series features Jamie and Ted.

That would be interesting to see :)

comicfoil
02-28-2016, 06:48 AM
I am one of those 10 fans who prefers Ted to Jamie. Of course there is also the fact that I do like Jamie, so any rumor of them both appearing in a new Blue Beetle series sounds right up my alley.

bat39
02-28-2016, 08:36 AM
Speaking of which, I've been trying to find a list of 'essential Blue Beetle' stories online, but all I come up with is Jaimie Reyes stuff. Anyone know any significant story arcs and stuff which deals with the first two Beetles? Also, has Ted Kord's Blue Beetle ever been given a proper origin story?

El_Gato
02-28-2016, 09:15 AM
Obvious troll is obvious! Jaime Reyes has a sizeable fan base, plus there are Ted Kord fans that actually like him and vice versa so I don't know why you're being so divisive. Jaime is a great character and his first series was a success, not so much his 2nd series for obvious reasons. I'm hoping this new series is either a legacy book with Ted and Jaime or a solo Jaime book done right!

colonyofcells
02-28-2016, 09:25 AM
I am ok with Ted and Jaime as sort of Batman and Robin. The armor technology can come from Ted rather than from the aliens. Or both of them can have the alien scarabs.

brandnewfan
02-28-2016, 10:51 AM
Jaime is my favorite Blue Beetle and I'm looking forward to the book.

I hope Sam Humphries will write it, I think the character would be a good fit for him.

AlexanderLuthor
02-28-2016, 11:33 AM
If they are really looking to emphasize legacy with Rebirth I hope that Ted was originally Blue Beetle, but in the new title serves as a mentor/financier/logistical guy for Jaime

Marvel/DC Fan
02-28-2016, 11:54 AM
I like both characters, hopefully they both will be featured in rebirth.

RobinFan4880
02-28-2016, 11:56 AM
Jaime is the Blue Beetle going forward.

Ted can be Bruce to Jaime's Batman Beyond.

Dr. Poison
02-28-2016, 03:56 PM
I like both Ted and Jamie and hope they both are active as Blue Beetles in the new series ala Batman & Robin or maybe Prof. Stein & Ronnie/Jason aka Firestorm.

Nite-Wing
02-28-2016, 04:02 PM
You're right this will fail and DC will launch another book to replace it
par for the course
DC probably wants to push Ted which is fine since Jaime's generation is a mess

skyvolt2000
02-28-2016, 05:08 PM
Jamie Reyes' solo books have failed numerous times.

What makes them think this time will be any different?

One solo run lasted 3 years.

Second series which was done BADLY lasted 16.

How is that a failure?

Unlike Moon Knight? Antman? Supergirl?

It's not Jaime's fault that everyone in his generation got fed to bad writers, editors and lost everything that made them popular in the first place.

Maybe this time they found someone who can actually do a decent job.

JasonTodd428
02-28-2016, 05:11 PM
I like both Ted and Jaime so I really hope that they both are in this book. That would definitely get me on board for it and then I could add a non-Bat book to my limited list.

Herowatcher
03-01-2016, 02:02 AM
I would not want a book with Ted and Jaime....just Ted Kord as the only Blue Beetle active.

ayanestar
03-01-2016, 02:10 AM
I love Jaime so I hope it's him :)

Rixec
03-01-2016, 04:31 PM
Jaime is my favorite superhero and I hope the next run will do well, and if Ted Kord is along as well, great. ^__^

And the whole "Failing multiple times" thing about his books is inaccurate. His first run ran for three years, which is impressive and he's built up quite a fanbase. His second run's failings had to do with the reboot of the New 52, so not the fault of the true spirit of Jaime Reyes. I mean, it looks like with the New 52 even the very plans they had for Jaime were getting changed near last minute, with the solicitations and the actual comics when they came out not matching; there was just a lot working against it as far as the fans of the character and new readers were concerned.

Seriously, how can you call something that fails multiple times when that is not true. The New 52 one I begrudgingly grant you, but that is only one, not multiple. If you mean to say just the fact his first run was cancelled... then you need to get out more. If that's the case, any book ever cancelled after many years is a failure. Books like The Titans, Hellblazer, Batwoman, and nearly The Omega Men until the public cried out against it, all of them should be considered failures based on your logic, but they are not. A three year run for a character like Jaime at that point was not a failure. That is the book that makes people hope to see the best with Rebirth. Whether this is a solo book or one that has both Beetles, I'm all for it and hope they bring in the best of the Blue Beetle when Rebirth comes and put it in the hands of a great creative team.

madrox83
03-07-2016, 08:23 PM
I am a big Ted Kord fan but would get behind a book featuring both Beetles.

Frontier
03-07-2016, 08:50 PM
I'm down for either Ted or Jaime, but I hope the book has both Beetles in big roles :).

upgrayedd
03-07-2016, 08:59 PM
Ringo Starr and Paul McCartney could have scarabs and join Ted and Jaime, the book could be called The Beetles!

Ceebiro
03-08-2016, 08:48 AM
If they are really looking to emphasize legacy with Rebirth I hope that Ted was originally Blue Beetle, but in the new title serves as a mentor/financier/logistical guy for Jaime

This is what DC should have done to begin with, especially since their respective skillsets are very different.

Ringo Starr and Paul McCartney could have scarabs and join Ted and Jaime, the book could be called The Beetles!

This could actually be a fun one-shot.

TRS80
03-08-2016, 05:10 PM
Ted Kord will be different. He can fix anything.

PyroTwilight
03-09-2016, 11:09 AM
Well even the original good run lasted 3 years with Jaime but was cancelled due to low sales. I hope he can hang on but honestly if we get that caliber of stories again even if only for a short while I'll be happy.

I didn't HATE the new run but it was missing a lot of the charm of the original run.

Den
03-09-2016, 07:28 PM
Chalk me up as another who likes both. I'd love to see a comic that has them partner up. It'll need the right writer, and while it doesn't need to be bhwhahwhaha level of stuff, it should have a certain lighthearted fun mixed in among the action

liwanag
03-10-2016, 03:07 PM
Ted Kord will be different. He can fix anything.

Yeah, make him the McGyver of the DCU.

Wally West
03-10-2016, 08:26 PM
I only want Ted kord back

Güicho
03-11-2016, 07:59 AM
Chalk me up as another who likes both. I'd love to see a comic that has them partner up. It'll need the right writer, and while it doesn't need to be bhwhahwhaha level of stuff, it should have a certain lighthearted fun mixed in among the action
I'd really like to see all three referenced.
Following a somewhat Mask of Zorro / Batman Beyond / Ant-Man movie passing the legacy template.
And continually flashing back and forward to all three in their prime as the story evolves, each having unlocked a piece of the necessary whole:

Have archeologist-adventurer Dan Garrett who found the Scarab and became obsessed with understanding the secrets images of Beetle protector deities on ancient temples form egypt, yucatan, to ancient India, becoming like an Indiana Jones pulpy adventurer known for becoming obsessed and rambling about a hypothetical ancient alien he calls the Blue Beetle, always seeking to unlock it's secret and purpose, leaving clues throughout his adventures. ...

Have Ted Kord scientist inherit the ancient manuscripts, writings and the Scarab from Garret, while still unable to unlock it's secrets, is able to reverse engineer the hidden "tec." and energy from the Scarab, building a corperation around it, and developing his own Beetle identity and suit as per his understanding of the manuscripts that is meant to be channeled for good, which he uses secretly to fight crime.
Never using the actual Scarab itself, but more a self made, sort of nano-tech of his own design, emulating it....

The Scarab the whole time has remained dormant, until....

Enter Jaime Reyes who somehow "awakens" something in it, and actually for the first time interfaces organically with the scarab itself, unlocking it's power.
But to what ends and purpose?
Ted must train and help Jaime harness the new 'power', and interpret Dan Garrett's cryptic text, as they prepare for invasion, etc......

liwanag
03-11-2016, 08:03 AM
Following a somewhat Mask of Zorro / Batman Beyond / Ant-Man movie passing the legacy template:

Have Ted inherit ancient manuscripts, writings and the Scarab from archeologist-adventurer Dan Garrett who found and became obsessed with understanding the secrets images of Beetle protector deities on ancient temples form egypt, yucatan, to ancient India, yet never unlocking it's secret or purpose.

Ted Grant while unable to unlock it's secrets, is able to reverse engineer the hidden "tec." and energy from the scarab, building a corperation around it, and developing his own Beetle identity and suit as per his understanding of the manuscripts, which he uses secretly to fight crime.
Never using the actual Scarab itself, but more a self made, sort of nano-tech of his own design, emulating it.

Enter Jaime Reyes who somehow "awakens" something in it, and actually for the first time interfaces organically with the scarab itself, unlocking it's power and purpose.
Inevitably Ted must train and help Jaime harness the new 'power', and interpret Dan Garrett's cryptic text, as they prepare for invasion, etc......

isnt ted grant wildcat?

Güicho
03-11-2016, 08:46 AM
isnt ted grant wildcat?

Yes (see edit), now bring back Ted Grant legacy Yolanda Montez too! ;)

And make her a badass boxer trained by Grant, in the spirit of Marlen Esparza and others.
http://www.womenfitness.net/img2014/artimg/july/Marlen-Esparza2.jpg

https://nbclatino.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/peta-marlen-esparzacropped.jpg?w=640&h=480&crop=1

Although instead of the DC robing the name from the previous legacy as they do, I'd obviouslly keep Grant as Wildcat and call her "La Garra" as per the Infinity Inc. concept promo.

Den
03-11-2016, 09:09 AM
Following a somewhat Mask of Zorro / Batman Beyond / Ant-Man movie passing the legacy template.
And continually flashing back and forward to all three in their prime as the story evolves, each having unlocked a piece of the necessary whole:

Have archeologist-adventurer Dan Garrett who found the Scarab and became obsessed with understanding the secrets images of Beetle protector deities on ancient temples form egypt, yucatan, to ancient India, becoming like an Indiana Jones pulpy adventurer known for becoming obsessed and rambling about a hypothetical ancient alien he calls the Blue Beetle, always seeking to unlock it's secret and purpose, leaving clues throughout his adventures. ...

Have Ted Kord scientist inherit the ancient manuscripts, writings and the Scarab from Garret, while still unable to unlock it's secrets, is able to reverse engineer the hidden "tec." and energy from the Scarab, building a corperation around it, and developing his own Beetle identity and suit as per his understanding of the manuscripts that is meant to be channeled for good, which he uses secretly to fight crime.
Never using the actual Scarab itself, but more a self made, sort of nano-tech of his own design, emulating it....

Enter Jaime Reyes who somehow "awakens" something in it, and actually for the first time interfaces organically with the scarab itself, unlocking it's power.
Ted must train and help Jaime harness the new 'power', and interpret Dan Garrett's cryptic text, as they prepare for invasion, etc......

Put Sterling Gates or someone else equally talented writing that, and I'd read the heck out of it

sanderling
03-11-2016, 10:20 AM
Put Sterling Gates or someone else equally talented writing that, and I'd read the heck out of it

Same here. Great concept!

KoriandrJean
03-12-2016, 12:10 PM

:cool:Great idea! The only thing I would add to this is that, at the end of the first arc, after Ted and Jaime have solved the first story, they find out that the Scarab had actually saved Dan Garrett, keeping him alive in a sort of suspended animation, until proper medical help could be obtained.

After Dan recovers, the Scarab replicates itself, giving Dan and Ted copies that give them Dan's classic "Blue Beetle" powers, while the prime Scarab bonds with Jaime per Rogers' story. Depending on how things go after that, all three can have adventures together, or go separate ways ...

El_Gato
07-19-2016, 06:01 PM
I would not want a book with Ted and Jaime....just Ted Kord as the only Blue Beetle active.
If DC were to do that then they would get a ton of warranted backlash. Getting rid of one their most popular minority heroes for Ted is just asking for trouble.

Anyway I can't wait for the series!

GreenLanternRanger
07-19-2016, 06:39 PM
If DC were to do that then they would get a ton of warranted backlash. Getting rid of one their most popular minority heroes for Ted is just asking for trouble.

Anyway I can't wait for the series!

Agreed. I like Ted & Jaime equally. I think them sharing a series will be fun.

Bukdiah
07-20-2016, 06:16 AM
Oh, man, I think the only Blue Beetle I read was the one with Jaime that got cancelled. Looks like I gotta do some digging for older series lol