PDA

View Full Version : Caesar (POTA) vs Leonidas (300)

Sasuke Uchiha
06-21-2014, 01:55 PM
This is Caesar from Rise of Planet of the Apes, and Dawn of Planet of the Apes, vs Leonidas from 300.

Round 1.) Nothing more than spears and possibly horses for each. (1 Spear each)

Round 2.) Leading their respective armies (300 each)

Round 3.) Caesar (with Horse, Spear, Stone Bola, Bow and infinite arrows) vs Julius Caesar in his prime (Horse, traditional Roman armor for someone of his wealth and status, sword, and shield, dagger, infinite throwing javelins)

Endless_Legend
06-21-2014, 02:53 PM
This is way more even than the recent man vs ape type threads. In a group, and with tools (weapons, armor, horses, etc) human beings are the most dangerous animals who have ever lived.

I haven't seen POTA, though from what i understand, the apes also have human-like intelligence, so that evens things out a bit. Still, spears and armor are the great equalizer. Even if the apes are massively stronger, a single spear-thrust is all it takes to die.

I'd be tempted to give it to Leonidas and the Spartans in both of the first two scenarios just because of their long experience in war and combat, *especially* in scenario 2, as the Spartans were unequaled in Phalanx warfare. Even if they're physically outmatched as individual soldiers, their skill and the force-multiplier effect that the phalanx and Spartan's experience and conditions will have more than makes up for it.

Do the apes just fight as a big horde? Or do they actually fight cohesively, in formation? Have they had any training at all, or do you just expect apey-strength and size to carry the day?

Round three... probably still Caesar, for the same reasons as Leonidas. Although Julius wasn't known for being personally formidable the way Leonidas was, but for being a peerless general.

Endless_Legend
06-21-2014, 02:56 PM
Also, minor point about Roman armor: It really looked like that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorica_segmentata

I just post this because I've seen many people say about movies set in Roman times that they were wearing "football pads" or "fake made up" armor in the movie. No, Lorica Segmentata actually looked like that.

Sasuke Uchiha
06-21-2014, 03:38 PM
Second movie doesn't come out until July 11 of this year i think. However based on the first one, Caesar seems pretty intelligent and did organize his army to fight utilizing their superior speed and strength in ways that the police couldn't anticipate, and the apes had no weapons that point. I really want to say it comes down to what we see in the second movie, as they appear to have developed crude weapons at that point, and ride horses.

Jonathan
06-21-2014, 05:27 PM
Second movie doesn't come out until July 11 of this year i think. However based on the first one, Caesar seems pretty intelligent and did organize his army to fight utilizing their superior speed and strength in ways that the police couldn't anticipate, and the apes had no weapons that point. I really want to say it comes down to what we see in the second movie, as they appear to have developed crude weapons at that point, and ride horses.

The battle in that movie was filled to the rim with PIS and CIS favoring the apes.

Back on topic, I think Leonidas and the Spartans would win all the scenarios. Remember what Leonidas pointed out about the main occupation of the other Greeks and that of the Spartans. Pretty much holds true here too: the apes were just apes before the mutation or whatever, but the Spartans were born and bred as professional soldiers, giving them a big ed

And in three that pretty much holds true too, with Julius being a trained soldier and commander.