PDA

View Full Version : A sincere thank you.

Swamp Thing 2099
04-30-2014, 02:20 PM
Thank you so much, Jonah, for what you've done here. It is a magnificent step in the right direction, and if the new CBR Community can be a bastion of light to the comics community as a whole, it would be remarkable. As someone who, under older user names, has struggled with victimization on the old forums in the past, I greatly appreciate it.

Thank you, Jonah, and to the men and women of CBR.

Matt
04-30-2014, 02:30 PM
I'm pleased that you're open to change and appreciate what Jonah and the Admin team are trying to achieve!
Welcome aboard and let the good times roll!

BaneofKings
04-30-2014, 02:33 PM
Yeah, this is an excellent move. Tired of seeing people who do nothing but complain so hopefully this should be a change for the better.

Charles Knight
04-30-2014, 02:33 PM
I think it's a great signal to sent.

Blankzilla
04-30-2014, 02:34 PM
I just joined because of today's announcement. It is an excellent attitude and deserves to be supported.

Radjack
04-30-2014, 02:35 PM
I've never been this excited for a reboot on something comic related! I hope everyone pitches in to make CBR the best comic forum around!

Hero
04-30-2014, 02:37 PM
And we're back up and running!

Pinsir
04-30-2014, 02:38 PM
Fire is purity!

Seriously though:

Unfortunately, what happened next was unacceptable -- so-called "fans" around the Internet, on various message boards and social media, including the CBR Forums, attacked Janelle personally, threatening her with rape and assault. These same "fans" found her e-mail, home address and other personal information, and used it to harass and terrorize her, including an attempted hacking of her bank account.

Why?

Buried Alien
04-30-2014, 02:38 PM
Looks like the membership roster is rebuilding fairly quickly. The New CBR has been online for less than an hour, and we've already got hundreds re-registered.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)

Hermano
04-30-2014, 02:40 PM
Well done, CBR, well done

Radjack
04-30-2014, 02:41 PM
Why?

I often wonder what goes on the mind of the people who make those kind of threats...

sonofspam1972
04-30-2014, 02:42 PM
Fire is purity!

Seriously though:

Why?They are threatened by women coming into their little clubhouse and making their opinions known.

Chrysalis_Changling
04-30-2014, 02:42 PM
I often wonder what goes on the mind of the people who make those kind of threats...

i often wonder why people continue to think they can control the problem when some cops can't even control one street!

Lady Warp Spasm
04-30-2014, 02:46 PM
I decided to start from scratch > a complete board wipe :p,

Seriously, thank you Jonah for what you've done. Everyone should feel safe here. Hope it sticks.

Arvandor
04-30-2014, 02:48 PM
We'll see if it works.

Pinsir
04-30-2014, 02:50 PM
> Looks for avatar
> Only Marvel stuff
> Okay I will just pick Kamala
> No, Kamala...

You will never see me coming!

thecrimson
04-30-2014, 02:51 PM
They are threatened by women coming into their little clubhouse and making their opinions known.

I'm not sure that's the ONLY reason, but I'm sure some of them felt that.

Chrysalis_Changling
04-30-2014, 02:53 PM
> Looks for avatar
> Only Marvel stuff
> No, Kamala...

You will never see me coming!

They also didn't have Robbie Reyes(All New Ghost Rider)Or Loki Agent Of Asgard....

Michael24
04-30-2014, 02:55 PM
That's weird. I never saw any of that kind of stuff. Sure, people bitching and moaning, but that's par the course for any message board. But never anything as extreme as what Jonah talked about. Still, I'm glad the forums are at least still around. Now we just have to wait for all the conversations and topics to get back up off the ground. A lot of good stuff got wiped in the reboot.

JasonTodd428
04-30-2014, 02:56 PM
I'm glad to see a change to be completely honest with everyone. All the negativity was beginning to become bothersome. I've no problem with people with legit complaints that can express those complaints intelligently and can do so without jumping all over people who disagree with them. It's the other sort that depresses me.

Anyway kudos on the CBR crew for making this change.

Centipede Damascus
04-30-2014, 02:56 PM
I've definitely been put off by some misogynistic language I've seen thrown around these forums in the past, and the word that it won't be tolerated anymore is a very heartening sign.

RohanriderX
04-30-2014, 02:58 PM
im pretty angry right now, Not at Cbr because they did the right thing. I am mad at my fellow comic fans that some of them can be So Poisonious i can get behind complaining abut storys and things u dont like we all do that but they crossed a line i reallly hope cbr kept track of isp adresses so that they can make sure the poison stays gone.

Fearghaill
04-30-2014, 02:58 PM
I just joined because of today's announcement. It is an excellent attitude and deserves to be supported.

you took the words right out of my mouth

fairly literally

zevious zoquis
04-30-2014, 02:59 PM
I'm not entirely sure how this reboot helps change anything. I mean OK...so anyone that behaves badly gets banned. Could that not be done before?? Could not the rules have simply changed to whatever these new ones are without wiping everything?? Strange...

Jeremi
04-30-2014, 03:00 PM
We'll see how well the scorched earth tactic will actually work.

Shellhead
04-30-2014, 03:02 PM
I'm glad that there is still a CBR, but I'm disappointed that the Classic Comics subforum is gone. We had just started a very interesting discussion of Master of Kung-Fu there a couple of days ago.

Sundowhn
04-30-2014, 03:02 PM
I think this is a big step in the right direction. The X-Men forums had become more like something you had to brace yourself to endure, rather than anything enjoyable. Well done CBR!

Vworp Vworp
04-30-2014, 03:03 PM
I didn't read anything to suggest that people can't complain, criticise or even whine in the announcement over on the CBR news page. As far as I can tell, the key statement was;

Effective immediately, in place of the forums will live the new CBR Community, a discussion area that will still facilitate conversation and debate, however passionate -- but will show zero tolerance for intimidation or abuse of all members of the community, regardless of gender, race, religion, sexual orientation and gender identification.

..which were presumably the same rules we had prior to the reboot, right? So as far as I can tell, the only thing that's changed is that the rules which were already in place are still in place. But moreso. Or something. I think.

Build high for happiness!

Michael P
04-30-2014, 03:04 PM
Aw, man, now I have to repopulate my ignore list!

But seriously, I understand the idea of a need for a clean break. Hopefully the new forums policy leads to cutting of some of the chaff we had and the return of some old, missed friends.

Now, how's about getting Rita's started back up?

Fearghaill
it's possible for people to have negative opinions about things without being disrespectful (and a lot of what went on before went well beyond disrespectful), and if someone can't do that, I'm not particularly interested in hearing what they have to say

the moderators and administrators here have no responsibility to provide a soapbox for misogynists, and bigots, same as any other website

hell, the forum community I've participated in the longest put a rule in place a few years ago that banned any insult other than "silly goose". At the time it seemed like a joke, people played along, some people got mad and left. Years later, the rule is still there, still enforced, and interesting conversations and debates still happen.

because you can still disagree without being a silly goose about it

clayholio
Where is this announcement? All I know is that I haven't been able to log in all day, and just like ten years ago, everything's gone. But on purpose this time.

Timbotron
04-30-2014, 03:07 PM
I had dropped away from the forums years ago (under a different user name). This is a great opportunity to get rebooted and return to the conversation. Hopefully lots of folks will be doing the same!

zevious zoquis
04-30-2014, 03:07 PM
this is overblown in the extreme

it's possible for people to have negative opinions about things without being disrespectful (and a lot of what went on before went well beyond disrespectful), and if someone can't do that, I'm not particularly interested in hearing what they have to say

the moderators and administrators here have no responsibility to provide a soapbox for misogynists, and bigots, same as any other website...

you're saying that's what they were providing yesterday?

Bl00dwerK
04-30-2014, 03:08 PM
If we can just have custom avatars back I'm good...

Vibranium
04-30-2014, 03:09 PM
I support this..Ive been around for a couple years but still felt like an "outsider"

too many posters had been treating CBR as their personal sandbox and its time for a good housecleaning

HUZZAH I SAY HUZZAH

Guy1
Hi everybody! :)

RohanriderX
quick questin i really wanna restart the Steph brown appriciatin thread to show the love for her but is that concidered against the rule now?

Fearghaill
04-30-2014, 03:11 PM
you're saying that's what they were providing yesterday?

to a greater extent than they declared they would be starting today, sure.

zevious zoquis
04-30-2014, 03:13 PM
to a greater extent than they declared they would be starting today, sure.

How so? What is different today from yesterday that wiping everything facilitates?

Mr. Mastermind
04-30-2014, 03:15 PM
Is there any way of accessing old discussions? Because if there isn't, that's just lame.

I also hate how everyone is oging to have started on April 2014 and has only a limited number of posts right now.

We'll see if the tactic works, because there was a nasty layer of hate at times, but I'm not sure if such a drastic overhaul was needed.

Pat Thomas
04-30-2014, 03:16 PM
I'm so glad they did this. Everybody's on equal footing now. Long time membership doesn't mean anything, so nobody gets a free pass anymore. I was just about
ready to quit before, due to all the hate being dished out. Thanks so much!

ABH
04-30-2014, 03:17 PM
Heh, for a minute, I thought Amazon bought CBR. ;)

Jonah's board/website, so he can do as he pleases, but this wipe hit all of us -- good and bad.

Is there any way of accessing old discussions? Because if there isn't, that's just lame.

I also hate how everyone is oging to have started on April 2014 and has only a limited number of posts right now.

We'll see if the tactic works, because there was a nasty layer of hate at times, but I'm not sure if such a drastic overhaul was needed.

Here is is: http://oldforums.comicbookresources.com/

available for 14 days -- so archive/save what you want.

Fearghaill
04-30-2014, 03:20 PM
How so? What is different today from yesterday that wiping everything facilitates?

a clean slate to start from, and a symbolic break from the past

a clear statement of rules and vision going forward

and a hope that people who don't like the new direction won't bother to sign back up, instead of making new accounts to complain about it

zevious zoquis
04-30-2014, 03:20 PM
I'm so glad they did this. Everybody's on equal footing now. Long time membership doesn't mean anything, so nobody gets a free pass anymore. I was just about

Y'know, I only had I think maybe 300 posts on the old forum. I was by no means a senior member or anything - but I never fell victim to one iota of what I would characterize as "hate" towards myself.

Fearghaill
04-30-2014, 03:21 PM
hell, it's also a way to make a point to people outside the old community that things are going to be different now, and hopefully attract new members that want to support what they're trying to do

hi.

Michael P
04-30-2014, 03:22 PM
Where is this announcement? All I know is that I haven't been able to log in all day, and just like ten years ago, everything's gone. But on purpose this time.

Main CBR page.

clayholio
04-30-2014, 03:23 PM
Main CBR page.

Looked there earlier, and didn't see anything. I'll look again.

EDIT: I don't entirely disagree with the rationale, but this is also unwelcome reminder of what happens when you play in someone else's playground. Things feel a lot less like a community when you can show up one day and find scorched Earth where you (and many others) once were happily discussing whatever.

SUPERECWFAN1
04-30-2014, 03:24 PM
Main CBR page.

Not many go to the main page lol....being honest I rarely check out the main page of CBR. I wish they had posted it on the forums at least.

Vibranium
04-30-2014, 03:25 PM
what's done is done

you all just need to knock the sand out and move forward

Bl00dwerK
04-30-2014, 03:25 PM
If we can just have custom avatars back I'm good...

That does it for me! Consider me satisfied! Thanks, whoever turned them back on...

Jesse Hamm
04-30-2014, 03:26 PM
I support the reboot. Here's to many fruitful discussions!

JasonTodd428
04-30-2014, 03:27 PM

I was about to take another hiatus from the forums myself because of all the negativity going on. Hopefully this will rekindle my interest in this forum among other things. Anyway I'm all for a forums reboot.

earthprime_greg
04-30-2014, 03:28 PM
Begun, the cbr forum war has.

MarvelMaster616
04-30-2014, 03:30 PM
It's a shame it had to come to this. But the CBR staff did what they thought was necessary. It's done now. Best we can all do is move forward and hope the ones who made this necessary don't return or are banned before they can cause real damage. If we can get the custom avatars working again, I'll be happy to support CBR's future. :)

WebHobbit
04-30-2014, 03:34 PM
I'm not sure what the heck happened to cause this but I'm back in with the same reg-info/handle/etc that I used before.

PretenderNX01
04-30-2014, 03:34 PM
what's done is done

you all just need to knock the sand out and move forward
Yeah, over at TheForce.Net when they divorced from whoever did their old forums they lost a lot of threads and had to start again. It's no biggie. I'm not sure if it changed anything or not but I guess we'll see here.

MartinNL
04-30-2014, 03:35 PM
Odd move but oh well it happened. I was mainly just visiting the general omnibus/hardcover thread so completely missed all the stuff that lead to this reboot. I don't think the reboot will solve anything, but we'll see. I just hope the same guys will visit that omni/hc thread again, and as a matter of fact I'll set it up now....

saucemaster
04-30-2014, 03:36 PM
> Looks for avatar
> Only Marvel stuff
> No, Kamala...

Kamala Khan?

I hope this helps!

PretenderNX01
04-30-2014, 03:38 PM
And now the custom avatars are back. So I'm myself again.

saucemaster
04-30-2014, 03:38 PM
> No, Kamala...

More Ms. Marvel

Legato
04-30-2014, 03:41 PM
I for one am not pissed at the guys incharge for doing this. It sucks but sometimes one has to make decisions that isn't favorable. I blame the fools who caused this to happen if any.

Cujo
04-30-2014, 03:45 PM
What year is it?!

Custom avatar ahoy.

dma
04-30-2014, 03:48 PM
I know some of the old guard won't understand this as a benefit, but having a fresh start means that people like me, who weren't on the old forums, are registering to get in on the ground floor. So yes, thank you for making a bold move, respecting history by keeping an archive, and starting fresh with a strong set of rules and moderators in place.

FanboyStranger
04-30-2014, 03:50 PM
I'm glad that there is still a CBR, but I'm disappointed that the Classic Comics subforum is gone. We had just started a very interesting discussion of Master of Kung-Fu there a couple of days ago.

Yeah, that's my only complaint with the move. The Classics Forum was a resource for people interested in good comics, and it featured some of the most knowledgable and helpful posters around. I get why certain other forums have been eliminated-- Vertigo, for example, occasionally had good discussions, but very few people ever checked it out-- but Classics was the head and the heart of the old CBR. Hopefully, something can be done about bringing back that distinct element of the community.

Other than that, I'm totally cool with them taking the nuclear option. The thread in question was an absolute cesspool of hate and sexism, and certain other forums had cultivated a truly hostile affect. If this chases those types of poster away, I applaud the move.

ABH
04-30-2014, 03:53 PM
Hey, at least the forums came back.

I remember when Newsarama unexpectedly shut down their forums. For awhile they said the boards would be back, but it never happened.

Legato
04-30-2014, 03:54 PM
I know some of the old guard won't understand this as a benefit, but having a fresh start means that people like me, who weren't on the old forums, are registering to get in on the ground floor. So yes, thank you for making a bold move, respecting history by keeping an archive, and starting fresh with a strong set of rules and moderators in place.

Exactly. Look at it in a glasses half full perspective.

Legato
04-30-2014, 03:55 PM
Hey, at least the forums came back.

I remember when Newsarama unexpectedly shut down their forums. For awhile they said the boards would be back, but it never happened.
I've been on a few boards where they just shut down without any warning and never returned. People should be glad this isn't the case.

C-Cool
04-30-2014, 03:55 PM
Whatever can get those wackos who brought havoc upon the Teen Titan's thread, the better.

Hopefully what is created in this rebirth can be a lot more useful for all who want to discuss comics. Positive or negative, I just don't want it to be as toxic as some of those threads got in the end.

G-Man27
04-30-2014, 03:56 PM
Thank you, tis can be a fresh start for all. I'm gonna miss the divided sections (and the Avengers board), but one thing I won't miss is all the negativity that went on, especially in the X-Boards. I didn't post much in the old forum, but I hope to post more in the future.

Legato
04-30-2014, 03:57 PM
Thank you, tis can be a fresh start for all. I'm gonna miss the divided sections (and the Avengers board), but one thing I won't miss is all the negativity that went on, especially in the X-Boards. I didn't post much in the old forum, but I hope to post more in the future.

Not just the X-Boards but have you been in the DC Boards as of late? On the positive there have been some insightful posters but you also have others that give comic fans a bad name

kmeyers
04-30-2014, 04:01 PM
Reboot? All are welcome again?

Cujo
04-30-2014, 04:03 PM
Reboot? All are welcome again?

Not all.

Not all indeed.

Jabare
04-30-2014, 04:06 PM
this totally caught me off-guard, but after reading what happened to Janelle Asselin you can't help but support this.

Here is to the new CBR forums

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowldc/files/2013/04/images-310.jpeg

effdot
04-30-2014, 04:14 PM
Good luck to CBR with this new direction on their forums, and best of luck to making some positive change.

To show appreciation, I offer this swapped arms picture to the community.

Mr. Mastermind
04-30-2014, 04:15 PM
Yeah, that's my only complaint with the move. The Classics Forum was a resource for people interested in good comics, and it featured some of the most knowledgable and helpful posters around. I get why certain other forums have been eliminated-- Vertigo, for example, occasionally had good discussions, but very few people ever checked it out-- but Classics was the head and the heart of the old CBR. Hopefully, something can be done about bringing back that distinct element of the community.

Agreed. I didn't post on Classics very often, but when I checked out the discussions they were always great.

Also, on the same topic, why were the Wonder Woman forums preserved? They were full of hatred and negativity from all angles, with the only threads that gained traction were tired debates on the exact same things; the costume, how much certain posters hated certain writers and a potential movie that will never happen.

Also, Classic comics had a unique place whilst Wonder Woman topics could just as easily be discussed on the main DC board.

JasonTodd428
04-30-2014, 04:25 PM
Whatever can get those wackos who brought havoc upon the Teen Titan's thread, the better.

Hopefully what is created in this rebirth can be a lot more useful for all who want to discuss comics. Positive or negative, I just don't want it to be as toxic as some of those threads got in the end.

I'm with you there.

Limerick
04-30-2014, 04:33 PM
Hi,I normally post mainly on the X-Boards but I feel this is probably the best place to post my complete disagreement with the re-boot.Any Offensive posts should have been deleted and any offensive posters perm-a-banned but to delete all historical posts hints at some sort of Internet vandalism.

Jonah mentions that he had grown out of touch with the forums and that would certainly be affirmed by his amazing over-reaction--to wipe out years of posts on a whim is extremely disappointing.

Jonah asks that we consider the following :' Would you act like this or say this if you were in someone else’s house? Keep that question in mind'.....I hope he wouldn't throw his weight around like he has if he came over to my house.Has he considered the input of many posters to provide free information sources to their fellow posters.As well as the record that forums provided of the thoughts of posters who are now deceased--wiped out with the flick of a switch.......not nice.

The mood of this thread seems overwhelmingly positive towards the reboot so I felt all the more compelled to point out that not everyone feels that way.

Arvandor
04-30-2014, 04:40 PM
Having now read the new rules (probably should have read them sooner), I do find myself in absolute agreement. Especially the parts about zero tolerance and treating everyone equally, whether newb or veteran. I just hope they stick with it.

Cipher
04-30-2014, 04:42 PM
As long as they follow through with the new mission statement, I think this is lovely.

Also, I was thinking about getting into the Batman board, but I heard it retained some continuity from the previous forum. Is there anything I need to read to catch up?

Aaron Kashtan
04-30-2014, 04:44 PM
I am so, so proud of Jonah for doing this. I've been posting here since around 1998 and I was also a moderator for many years, and I stopped visiting CBR regularly because the climate was so toxic. I hope that this policy change will result in a more civil atmosphere and a higher level of discourse.

Arvandor
Is anyone surprised the negative "No Thank You" thread is already more than twice as long as the positive "Thank You" thread?

Guapo Méndez
I love the smell of scorched earth.

I approve the reasons why the forums have been reset. I missed the controversy over the Easter break, but it's shameful to behave that way to one person over her rightful opinion about a comic book cover.

Registration was completely hassle-free and I even found my old avatar without too much trouble. Geez, this is my third reboot in 18 years. I hope we can get the old "member since" dates.

If not, well...Pantheon represent!

Legato
04-30-2014, 04:54 PM
Is anyone surprised the negative "No Thank You" thread is already more than twice as long as the positive "Thank You" thread?

It's actually gradually becoming more of a casual conversations thread.

Kurosawa
04-30-2014, 04:58 PM
I can see the point in doing this. A lot of us (self definitely included) allowed negative statements to snowball out of control. I'm okay with it, and plan to stay within the new rules, and I think as long as most people abide by them debates can still be had, they will just be more controlled. It's quite similar to the rules at TheForce.Net -discuss the films, not the posters. Same principle here.

Froggy
04-30-2014, 04:59 PM
You can retrieve that thread you know? It's on a link but you can get the info and show it to the guys

Joker
04-30-2014, 05:04 PM
Very happy with this choice, and the reasons for doing it. It can be hard to admit you were fostering a negative environment, and I'm glad actions have been taken to correct course.

Sighphi
04-30-2014, 05:12 PM
Hi,I normally post mainly on the X-Boards but I feel this is probably the best place to post my complete disagreement with the re-boot.Any Offensive posts should have been deleted and any offensive posters perm-a-banned but to delete all historical posts hints at some sort of Internet vandalism.

Jonah mentions that he had grown out of touch with the forums and that would certainly be affirmed by his amazing over-reaction--to wipe out years of posts on a whim is extremely disappointing.

Jonah asks that we consider the following :' Would you act like this or say this if you were in someone else’s house? Keep that question in mind'.....I hope he wouldn't throw his weight around like he has if he came over to my house.Has he considered the input of many posters to provide free information sources to their fellow posters.As well as the record that forums provided of the thoughts of posters who are now deceased--wiped out with the flick of a switch.......not nice.

The mood of this thread seems overwhelmingly positive towards the reboot so I felt all the more compelled to point out that not everyone feels that way.

Actually there is another thread discussing the other view of this event.
And with this new board i fear for the X-board because the old X-board was a very free environment for discussion. An environment needed for the discussion the source material brought.

Michael P
04-30-2014, 05:13 PM
The X-Board was a free environment for trolling. I can't even remember the last time it was possible to have an intelligent discussion there. Changing that would be worth all the rest in and of itself.

Overhazard
04-30-2014, 05:14 PM
I feel good about this change, a whole new CBR, and maybe, just maybe we can be better. There's nothing wrong with criticism, or disagreeing with criticism, but some have taken it too far. Seriously, trying to hack into her bank account? Just because she didn't like a cover?

Action Ace
04-30-2014, 05:14 PM
If my counting and math are correct, this is the twentieth major message board reboot I've gone through.

Looking on the bright side, I still don't have to join Facebook or use my real name to post here.

Additionally, my New CBR costume is designed by Darwyn Cooke and not only has a snappy cape, but a fin on top of the cowl.

Vibranium
04-30-2014, 05:16 PM
sweet fin man

Zeb
04-30-2014, 05:16 PM
Thanks CBR team. I signed up to this forum a while ago, and left promptly after some of the things I saw being posted.

Fingers crossed things will be better this time around. :)

Bradley
04-30-2014, 05:18 PM
I am so, so proud of Jonah for doing this. I've been posting here since around 1998 and I was also a moderator for many years, and I stopped visiting CBR regularly because the climate was so toxic. I hope that this policy change will result in a more civil atmosphere and a higher level of discourse.

I'm with Aaron-- I think we both started hanging out here at around the same time, and it sounds like we've both drifted away from these boards. But I think Jonah and the administrators should be commended for making a responsible, potentially unpopular decision.

Jonah Weiland
04-30-2014, 05:19 PM
As long as they follow through with the new mission statement, I think this is lovely.We're going to try our hardest and I hope you'll join us in this.

Jonah Weiland
04-30-2014, 05:20 PM
Is anyone surprised the negative "No Thank You" thread is already more than twice as long as the positive "Thank You" thread?I'm not and I expected it. Change isn't easy.

Sighphi
04-30-2014, 05:20 PM
The X-Board was a free environment for trolling. I can't even remember the last time it was possible to have an intelligent discussion there. Changing that would be worth all the rest in and of itself.

It was fun board where people had fun. I dont remember the last time where a board was actually fun to look at.
Intelligent discussion could be had but not every single thread had included that.
Now their fun is, of course, not the fun everyone is used at but there were some actual discussions that i dont think it's possible now.

Jonah Weiland
04-30-2014, 05:21 PM
I can see the point in doing this. A lot of us (self definitely included) allowed negative statements to snowball out of control. I'm okay with it, and plan to stay within the new rules, and I think as long as most people abide by them debates can still be had, they will just be more controlled. It's quite similar to the rules at TheForce.Net -discuss the films, not the posters. Same principle here.Welcome to the new CBR Community!

Jonah Weiland
04-30-2014, 05:22 PM
Thanks CBR team. I signed up to this forum a while ago, and left promptly after some of the things I saw being posted.

Fingers crossed things will be better this time around. :)Welcome to the new CBR Community. I truly do hope you'll stick around for a while and help us keep the trolls out and the good people talking!

MikeP
I was shocked by this development, and thought maybe somebody accidentally hit the "delete all" button again.

But after reading what happened, I agree. What happened was unacceptable. Sometimes pruning is needed. Other times you need to burn the forest and start over.

Jonah Weiland
I am so, so proud of Jonah for doing this. I've been posting here since around 1998 and I was also a moderator for many years, and I stopped visiting CBR regularly because the climate was so toxic. I hope that this policy change will result in a more civil atmosphere and a higher level of discourse.Me, too! Help us achieve that goal, please! Glad to see you here, Aaron.

Sighphi
04-30-2014, 05:23 PM
I'm not and I expected it. Change isn't easy.

Positive change is easily accepted.
I dont even think can actually even be categorized as a change.
Technically by definition i think you can but this was just a nuke more than anything else.

Zeb
04-30-2014, 05:26 PM
Welcome to the new CBR Community. I truly do hope you'll stick around for a while and help us keep the trolls out and the good people talking!

I'll be around, not to worry. :)

This Kiwi chick has had her fair share of moderating forums and groups, so I know what you did wasn't an easy thing. But it had to be done. Thanks for owning up and doing something about it.

Action Ace
04-30-2014, 05:29 PM
I'm not and I expected it. Change isn't easy.

You cancelled and restarted Action and Detective with new #1s you monster!!!

JasonTodd428
04-30-2014, 05:34 PM
I'm glad for this change and respect Jonah for being able to make it. I've been a mod. on several forums and it's not an easy thing to have to do nor is it decision that happens "suddenly" when it does. This has been building over time, if it's anything like what happened on a few of the other forums I was staff on and I'm on board with this reboot.

In any case things had gotten so toxic to me that I was actually thinking of leaving the forum again, though I hadn't yet decided if my leaving was going to be of the permanent sort this time or not. Glad now that I won't need to make that decision at all.

Buried Alien
04-30-2014, 05:37 PM
So...are we going to party like it's 1996?

Because suddenly, it feels a lot like 1996 in here.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080321202125/marvel_dc/images/3/3a/Kingdom_Come_2.jpg

mfactor
04-30-2014, 05:39 PM
Here's to a fresh start and a warm welcome to all new posters on the forums.

Matt
04-30-2014, 05:42 PM
For those wondering why we elected to go for a completely fresh start, I think the following analogy works;
Think of a pool of water, it's new and fresh with the sunlight sparkling somewhat on the surface. Fantastic stuff.
Over time, rubbish such as leaves and mud and algae and whatever else you can imagine start to culminate in this pool and makes it kind of gross.
Now, you can try as might to scoop the muck out but no matter how long you're there, you'll never ever get the pool back to pristine condition. The taint of the rubbish is just too strong.
So, eventually, to make the pool of water back to it's best possible condition you actually have to empty the pool, scrub it out and start over.

Now we have a nice figurative pool of water and, hopefully, we can keep it that way so as many people as possible can be welcomed to celebrate our love of comic book culture.

MikeP
04-30-2014, 05:47 PM
For those wondering why we elected to go for a completely fresh start, I think the following analogy works;
Think of a pool of water, it's new and fresh with the sunlight sparkling somewhat on the surface. Fantastic stuff.
Over time, rubbish such as leaves and mud and algae and whatever else you can imagine start to culminate in this pool and makes it kind of gross.
Now, you can try as might to scoop the muck out but no matter how long you're there, you'll never ever get the pool back to pristine condition. The taint of the rubbish is just too strong.
So, eventually, to make the pool of water back to it's best possible condition you actually have to empty the pool, scrub it out and start over.

Now we have a nice figurative pool of water and, hopefully, we can keep it that way so as many people as possible can be welcomed to celebrate our love of comic book culture.

An excellent analogy. But you forgot the constant pissing that inevitably happens in a public pool.

James
04-30-2014, 05:56 PM
thanks to all the admins and mods who contribute their time to make this community work. hopefully all the changes work out for the best.

Alvarez
04-30-2014, 05:56 PM
I've been a CBR reader and lurker for years. Something about the established community made it hard to jump in. It's scary being the new guy, you know. In terms of forums Comic Bloc is/was more my style (DarthLucifuge for you Blocers). With this news of a rebooted forum I figured what the heck, why not? While I understand where the animosity of change is coming from... and rightly so in some cases, I can't help but be thankful for this. So thanks for giving me and a lot of others a chance to start at the ground floor of something fantastic.

Hope to interact with you guys a lot more.

Sarah Beach
04-30-2014, 05:57 PM
Nice analogy, Matt. As someone who has moderated a board that had to reboot a couple of times for simply mechanical reasons (switching from one board template to another), I know some folks will complain. But I also totally understand the reason for this reboot. Let's all hope it shall be a better "world" from now on! :)

Buried Alien
04-30-2014, 05:59 PM
Nice analogy, Matt. As someone who has moderated a board that had to reboot a couple of times for simply mechanical reasons (switching from one board template to another), I know some folks will complain. But I also totally understand the reason for this reboot. Let's all hope it shall be a better "world" from now on! :)

I think this is CBR's first forums-wide reboot in at least ten years. We rebooted a few times between 1996-2004 due to switching to new forum templates, but I think the previous incarnation had been running continuously for about ten years.

ILLUS
04-30-2014, 06:02 PM
Agreed. Looking forward to more positivity and true community in comics and beyond.

ABH
04-30-2014, 06:06 PM

Yeah, that works, but man is it going take a long time to refill this pool.

Arvandor
04-30-2014, 06:06 PM
The real test will be when someone dares to restart the News and Politics threads.

Limerick
04-30-2014, 06:09 PM

Unfortunately,Matt,to produce that pristine pool,you will need to eliminate all life within it.Of course,there is the option of keeping it completely sterile to maintain that pristine ness.....why allow any pollution of the enviornment?If a sterile,lifeless forum is what you desire,current actions may well achieve that.Is CBR really a better place stripped of it's history and soul and of the community that made it what it was.

Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon. That's always been the difference between us, Matt.To my fellow X-boarders,If we are going to be damned,let's be damned for what we really are.

Okay,that last bit was cheesy but I always wanted to quote 'Watchmen'

Scholar87
04-30-2014, 06:09 PM
This reboot took me completely by surprise. I hope the new forums grow into a great community and that all the users I'm familiar with sign up again.

Sighphi
04-30-2014, 06:19 PM

So instead of the people in charge having proper cleaning you go the easy way and throw some gas on it and light a match.
Who was this best for exactly?

On top of that the lifeguards are now going to kick people for the smallest infraction.
Again, who was this best for exactly?

brettc1
04-30-2014, 06:20 PM
This reboot took me completely by surprise. I hope the new forums grow into a great community and that all users I'm familiar with sign up again.

I read Jonah's article and understand what happened.

All I will say, as a respectful suggestion, is that on the page that appears asking you to sign in when you log on - put a message to explain what is happening. I tried to log today, got the sign in page, fine, tried over and over and no success. There was no clue as to why? Was I typing the password wrong, had my account been hacked, was I banned? I spent half an hour getting frustrate until I clicked on the community thread link on the toolbar to see if others were having the same problem and realized what was going on.

I don't know if a general email went out, but I doubt I'm the only person who got [or will get] frustrated. So maybe put an announcement on the sign in page that appears when you hit your favourites link. It certainly save some people confusion and angst. :smile:

Sighphi
04-30-2014, 06:21 PM
The real test will be when someone dares to restart the News and Politics threads.

The first test is the X-board and so far it seem fine.
But this might be seeing how far they are going to take it.

Robert318
04-30-2014, 06:21 PM
This is a really great idea and I'm proud to be a member. I stopped coming here years ago, aside from the random post, but if things are going to be generally positive or at least constructive, I look forward to coming back much more frequently.

coveredinbees
04-30-2014, 06:23 PM

Yeah, but you would put up a notice for the neighborhood if you remodeled the community pool. I do support your decision. A fresh start is all you can do when something ridiculous and awful like that goes on.

numberthirty
04-30-2014, 06:26 PM

Fair enough.

Do you plan on this new pool eventually looking the same as the old pool looked before you felt the need to drain it and call the pool guy?

regomar
04-30-2014, 06:28 PM
Can we at least keep the archives of the old forums from being deleted if we must pointlessly go on with this scorched earth policy? 10 years of history and discussions, the VAST majority of which was fun and informative gone in the blink of an eye. It's intensely depressing to me as a long-time member of this community.

Sub-Zero MKA
04-30-2014, 06:29 PM
I was completely taken by surprise when I found that I couldn't log in. After reading what happened to the guest contributor, I was disgusted and completely agree with the reboot. Sometimes, you just have to start things over for a fresh start. I know a lot won't be on board right away, but after a while, hopefully they'll come around.

My only regret is that the Avengers forum is gone. I really enjoyed the appreciation threads.

Matt
04-30-2014, 06:31 PM
This is a really great idea and I'm proud to be a member. I stopped coming here years ago, aside from the random post, but if things are going to be generally positive or at least constructive, I look forward to coming back much more frequently.

Fantastic!
As for positive or at least constructive ... well, that's what we're aiming for.

We're not going to be all "Happy Smiley People" try-to-force-you-to-be-happy at the new CBR Community by any means. Critical analysis and constructive criticism is more than welcome, as always.
That being said, if anyone insults/threatens someone else (be it another Community Member, comic book professional, or whatever) then they are gone. If someone says something such as (random comic book professional) is racist scum and can get f****d, then they are gone. Any sort of threat, virtual or real, to anyone else is absolutely out of order and will result in a swift and permanent ban from this Community.

We are building a Community that is aimed that those who love our hobby, those that want to share what they love. Yes, this can certainly involve thought out critical critiques. Those that wish to belittle others, exclude others from sharing their passion for comics, or just be jerks ... well, those sort of people can simply find somewhere else to hangout as they are not welcome here.

Limerick
04-30-2014, 06:42 PM
Fantastic!
As for positive or at least constructive ... well, that's what we're aiming for.

We're not going to be all "Happy Smiley People" try-to-force-you-to-be-happy at the new CBR Community by any means. Critical analysis and constructive criticism is more than welcome, as always.

There seems to be a fundamental change in the way the threads are being operated over in X-Books.Any non-appreciation threads are being promptly closed.X-Cresc was an active thread where X-Book fans discussed non X-book stuff such as lasagne recipes,'Housewives of New Jersey' repeats and Gorf.The community aspect of like-minded individuals interacting on a variety of topics seems to have been eliminated.'Pure thoughts' on Appreciation threads is all that seems to be tolerated.

So punishing thousands of people who posted hundred of thousands of pages of information, reviews, and community because of what 0.001% did is the solution rather than just deleting the offending thread, banning the trolls and actually enforcing the rules better? How does wiping the entire forum solve any of the problems we've had? Can anyone actually explain this? Ive been asking all night and nobody has responded with any logical answer.

Couldn't agree more,especially about the rules.Everyone's bigging up CBR for the new rules but aren't they the same ones they always had.I thought that moderators generally handles moderating board rules quite well in the past so this sudden change of tack was surprising.....Fahrenheit 451,anyone?

Joe Acro
04-30-2014, 06:45 PM
My only regret is that the Avengers forum is gone. I really enjoyed the appreciation threads.
You're telling me! I'd only recently catalogued them all! Heh.

I just want to say that I love comics. In my spare time (when I can find it), I work on a project related to comics. I moderated both to foster that love of comics in others and to stay informed of many comic-related things. I love the speculation, the analysis, and the comparison. I love creating worlds and story ideas based on those comics and their characters. I love having fun discussions with people who have the same hobby, even if we as people are vastly different. CBR has helped me establish the most important relationship I've ever had; for that reason alone I know what these boards are capable of. If this fresh start allows more people to better connect with each other, to better understand one another, to generally be less divisive and more accepting, then that's a goal I can get behind.

Here's a new CBR.

Chris Lang
04-30-2014, 06:49 PM
You're telling me! I'd only recently catalogued them all! Heh.

I just want to say that I love comics. In my spare time (when I can find it), I work on a project related to comics. I moderated both to foster that love of comics in others and to stay informed of many comic-related things. I love the speculation, the analysis, and the comparison. I love creating worlds and story ideas based on those comics and their characters. I love having fun discussions with people who have the same hobby, even if we as people are vastly different. CBR has helped me establish the most important relationship I've ever had; for that reason alone I know what these boards are capable of. If this fresh start allows more people to better connect with each other, to better understand one another, to generally be less divisive and more accepting, then that's a goal I can get behind.

Here's a new CBR.

Well, I want to import the best parts of the OLD CBR Forums over here. I PM'ed Jonah about it, but I don't know when or if I'll hear back from him. He's probably drowning in PMs now.

Matt
04-30-2014, 06:57 PM
And yes, the way we're moderating discussions and deciding what belongs where has changed. We make absolutely no apology for this, as we're as sure as we can be that it will form a better community in the long haul.

Which, of course, leaves each and every visitor to this Community with a choice: Is this the place for me? Or should I look elsewhere?

If you wish to join us in a vibrant, inclusive, welcoming Community that has the awesome goal of celebrating comic book culture ... come right on in, pull up a couch and tell us what you love.
If you don't think the new CBR Community is for you, so be it. Best of luck to you and we hope you find somewhere more to your liking. But the old days are gone and are not coming back, we have a vision for the CBR Community and will not be changing it for people who do not like the changes.

Matt
04-30-2014, 06:58 PM
Well, I want to import the best parts of the OLD CBR Forums over here. I PM'ed Jonah about it, but I don't know when or if I'll hear back from him. He's probably drowning in PMs now.

Sorry Chris, but there is no technical way for us to simply copy parts of the old forums to the new. It simply can't be done in the manner you're suggesting.
The best and easiest way, believe it or not, is the ol' fashioned copy/paste.

Duke
04-30-2014, 07:01 PM
I didn’t realize all that was going on, but anyway here’s to the “New 52” version of CBR.
I for one always think it’s good to start over once in a while and start fresh.

Legato
04-30-2014, 07:11 PM
I didn’t realize all that was going on, but anyway here’s to the “New 52” version of CBR.

Does this mean we'll have a Forever Evil situation? I've seen my alternate self. Petrified of that man

Jabare
04-30-2014, 07:12 PM

no body saw it coming as far as I can tell.

How apropos the day following Adam Silver dropping the ban hammer on Donald Sterling, CBR revamps the entire forums taking a harder stance against trolling, derogatory comments and the like.

Chris Lang
04-30-2014, 07:14 PM
Sorry Chris, but there is no technical way for us to simply copy parts of the old forums to the new. It simply can't be done in the manner you're suggesting.
The best and easiest way, believe it or not, is the ol' fashioned copy/paste.

I already knew that from reading your other posts. I'm just wondering if it's all right to repost those silly collaborative crossover RPGs we did over here. That's what I mean by importing the best parts. Personally, I could have easily dealt with it if you'd taken out all threads that weren't associated with it, leaving only the Traitor Games remaining, and then renaming the old forums 'The Traitor Game forums'.

Even though the characters in those fictional works were fighting and quarreling with each other, it was all in the spirit of fun and community. Which I think is what we're looking for here. Fun and community, without bigotry or other all those nasty 'isms'.

Michael P
04-30-2014, 07:26 PM
I think this is CBR's first forums-wide reboot in at least ten years. We rebooted a few times between 1996-2004 due to switching to new forum templates, but I think the previous incarnation had been running continuously for about ten years.

The last reboot was a week after I graduated college, so May of 2004.

I'll go be old now.

Michael P
04-30-2014, 07:36 PM
Has it ever been an unsafe place for bronies?

dupont2005
04-30-2014, 07:40 PM
Lets not forget Trekkies and Furries and all the rest as well.

t hedge coke
04-30-2014, 07:45 PM
Woohoo! I'm hoping all the old stuff will/can stay archived somewhere, 'cause there's a ton of greatness in various threads. Too often, lately, I've watched friends join and drop or post for years and finally drop (or like me, fume, say they're going to "avoid posting" and then get sucked right back in because the good of the board has never gone fully away).

I'm determined to be optimistic and believe this is the dawn of a new age of less rape threats, less "people who don't even read comics" used to refer to women reviewers or writers, less... angry trolling, basically.

Also, the forums are hella faster now, and that's alright.

Y'all done good here. Thank you.

The MunchKING
04-30-2014, 07:46 PM
Lets not forget Trekkies and Furries and all the rest as well.

Of course! If you're going to make it where hate-bashing is illegal, it should be so REGARDLESS of what it is you're hate-bashing.

Legato
04-30-2014, 07:47 PM
Woohoo! I'm hoping all the old stuff will/can stay archived somewhere, 'cause there's a ton of greatness in various threads. Too often, lately, I've watched friends join and drop or post for years and finally drop (or like me, fume, say they're going to "avoid posting" and then get sucked right back in because the good of the board has never gone fully away).

I'm determined to be optimistic and believe this is the dawn of a new age of less rape threats, less "people who don't even read comics" used to refer to women reviewers or writers, less... angry trolling, basically.

Also, the forums are hella faster now, and that's alright.

Y'all done good here. Thank you.
I can finally post without any loading problems. Thank God!!!

Alan2099
04-30-2014, 07:56 PM
I'm surprised and there's old topics and history that I'm going to miss, but for the most part, I'm happy for the new start. There were sections of the forum that had just became pure toxic, far more than just the one topic most people are mentioning.

I'm glad to see all that gone.

dupont2005
04-30-2014, 07:58 PM
less "people who don't even read comics" used to refer to women reviewers or writers

Is that what that was? People are hilarious. A comic book columnist isn't as big a fan as me because I'm a MAN!

I thought some social justice group not affiliated with comics or fandom found out about the rape threats and took some sort of action against CBR.

Sighphi
04-30-2014, 07:59 PM
And yes, the way we're moderating discussions and deciding what belongs where has changed. We make absolutely no apology for this, as we're as sure as we can be that it will form a better community in the long haul.

Which, of course, leaves each and every visitor to this Community with a choice: Is this the place for me? Or should I look elsewhere?

If you wish to join us in a vibrant, inclusive, welcoming Community that has the awesome goal of celebrating comic book culture ... come right on in, pull up a couch and tell us what you love.
If you don't think the new CBR Community is for you, so be it. Best of luck to you and we hope you find somewhere more to your liking. But the old days are gone and are not coming back, we have a vision for the CBR Community and will not be changing it for people who do not like the changes.

This is an extremely strange statement, what was CBR before? Was this some sort of post apocalyptic total war against anything possible?This is what this thing makes it seem. That basically says everything and everyone before were doing things wrong. This isnt just about how the "board looks" this is also how the posters are being looked at. If there were some problematic sections you fix those section. Throwing everyone under bus is throwing everyone under the buss. And now there is some weird act like everything is totally different. It's not, it's going to be the same people thrown under the buss posting again with a shorter leash. This is just a rebranding.

Everyone is now getting a shock collar because of a small group and everyone is supposed to be happy because now it's all "safe."

dupont2005
04-30-2014, 07:59 PM
Of course! If you're going to make it where hate-bashing is illegal, it should be so REGARDLESS of what it is you're hate-bashing.
Nobody is gonna hassle me over my love of Barry Blair comics now!

dupont2005
04-30-2014, 08:01 PM
This is an extremely strange statement, what was CBR before? Was this some sort of post apocalyptic total war against anything possible?This is what this thing makes it seem. That basically says everything and everyone before were doing things wrong. This isnt just about how the "board looks" this is also how the posters are being looked at. If there were some problematic sections you fix those section. Throwing everyone under bus is throwing everyone under the buss. And now there is some weird act like everything is totally different. It's not, it's going to be the same people thrown under the buss posting again with a shorter leash. This is just a rebranding.
Everyone is now getting a shock collar because of a small like and everyone is supposed to be happy because now it's all "safe."
I think what he means by "the old ways" is the amount of leeway we were given while bickering at each other.
I don't have a problem with stricter moderation, even though I know I'll have to adjust my attitude to avoid the hammer. My gripe was with the lack of warning, the lost private messages, and the deletion of my favorite part of the forum.

Guapo Méndez
04-30-2014, 08:01 PM
Well, I just think now is the time to codify it into the new TOS so that younger, more sensitive members of the Brony sub-community who haven't found a safe haven on other comic book sites will know the new & improved CBR forums will welcome them with open arms now.

Bronies are always horsing around. Not too mention there's too much neigh-saying.

The MunchKING
04-30-2014, 08:02 PM
Ah, you stole those jokes from the show itself.

Sandydandy
04-30-2014, 08:23 PM
A big hello to everyone and a "welcome back" to myself. I was Lord S at the old place. Hardly a regular poster since 2010, so no real attachments to the community anymore...and definitely no complaints about this reboot, considering the circumstances surrounding what happened to Janelle. That was truly messed up. I'd say Jonah made the right decision and I commend him on having the guts to do it...but sadly, I'm sure this place will be overrun with trolls again in no time, if the membership grows as large as the old forum. Maybe the point of this reboot was an attempt to shrink the community down to a level where it's easier to police.

Well anyway, nothing will change in my life...I'll continue to post on occasion, as I'm not an active comics reader anymore. I'm grateful the old forum is archived for now...maybe I'll spend the next couple of days going through it, saving some of my favourite threads/posts.

Matt
04-30-2014, 08:31 PM
I'm sure this place will be overrun with trolls again in no time

Not if we have anything to do with it. The Moderators have been told to crack down hard on anyone wilfully breaking the new, stricter Community Standards.
We gave out too many warnings, too many temporary bans - a lot of people seemed to take that as a mere slap on the wrist instead of the message intended. Those days are gone.
We want anyone who loves comics (and can be civil) to feel welcome here. The old way didn't work, so now it's time for something new.

t hedge coke
04-30-2014, 08:35 PM
I can finally post without any loading problems. Thank God!!!

I really thought that was just me (my laptop's dying and I'm in China, so...).

No more rewriting post when the site times out!

Not if we have anything to do with it. The Moderators have been told to crack down hard on anyone wilfully breaking the new, stricter Community Standards.
We gave out too many warnings, too many temporary bans - a lot of people seemed to take that as a mere slap on the wrist instead of the message intended. Those days are gone.
We want anyone who loves comics (and can be civil) to feel welcome here. The old way didn't work, so now it's time for something new.

I let some old posters and burned out lurkers know what happened. People seem optimistic. I'm optimistic. But, I hope it works, too. Avoiding encouraging people to rush back, in case it turns right back to the worst of things.

Just to clarify: Are the old forums being archived permanently or only temporarily?

ChadH
04-30-2014, 08:38 PM
Doesn't this just give those who had been banned previously the chance to once again gain access?

Sighphi
04-30-2014, 08:38 PM

So how about you lessen the "too many" to a specific amount before actual ban instead of totally getting rid of the practice?

Emperor-of-Dragons
04-30-2014, 08:41 PM
Damn the second cbr reboot I have been a part of. I missed the drama as I stopped visiting the comic boards long ago. Instead I hung around the tv/film/games/music boards. Its a shame about the loss of those great threads though.

numberthirty
04-30-2014, 08:42 PM
So how about you lessen the "too many" to a specific amount before actual ban instead of totally getting rid of the practice?

Isn't that just another road to Rome?

Sandydandy
04-30-2014, 08:50 PM
We want anyone who loves comics (and can be civil) to feel welcome here. The old way didn't work, so now it's time for something new. Well that is refreshing to know. Witnessing the coarsening of the internet over the last 20 years has not been fun. Glad you guys are going to step up your enforcement of the rules...the last thing we need or want is for CBR to turn into YouTube comments.

dupont2005
04-30-2014, 08:59 PM
Well that is refreshing to know. Witnessing the coarsening of the internet over the last 20 years has not been fun. Glad you guys are going to step up your enforcement of the rules...the last thing we need or want is for CBR to turn into YouTube comments.
This place was way more lax than Youtube. I've never been banned here, not even temp ban, but I can't comment on Youtube anymore :)

Sighphi
04-30-2014, 09:01 PM
Isn't that just another road to Rome?

How?
First we need to figure out what the problem they are trying to battle is.
Normal people with the old system i think understood when words were spoken in threads, specially warning and definitely bans. With a limited amount of bans for NORMAL people is going to be tougher than the previous method but at least it somewhat fair.

If you are targeting people that dont care, the trolls, no system is going to stop them. Making it more "difficult" on then may catch a few but awesome.... you messed it up for the rest and you caught some dolphins and seals you werent going for but what the hell.

numberthirty
04-30-2014, 09:09 PM
If you are targeting people that dont care, the trolls, no system is going to stop them. Making it more "difficult" on then may catch a few but awesome.... you messed it up for the rest and you caught some dolphins and seals you werent going for but what the hell.

Including the system you were discussing. Since keeping that under control seems to be job one, "Zero Tolerance" won't be much different than "Three Short Suspensions And You're Out" when it comes to trolls.

Sighphi
04-30-2014, 09:28 PM
Including the system you were discussing. Since keeping that under control seems to be job one, "Zero Tolerance" won't be much different than "Three Short Suspensions And You're Out" when it comes to trolls.

Yes, but my point is about the seals and dolphins. There is no system that only catches trolls, no one that has any basic knowledge of the net should be under any illusion that a system like that exists. These systems for the most part hurt the random average user and the more harsh it is the more it hurts them.

If CBR has another article where anyone is super negative about something the same thing is going to happen again. All this new rules do is just get stuff deleted a little faster. But that isn't going to stop a wave if it catches on.

t hedge coke
04-30-2014, 09:38 PM
If CBR has another article where anyone is super negative about something the same thing is going to happen again. All this new rules do is just get stuff deleted a little faster. But that isn't going to stop a wave if it catches on.

It's not about "super negative," though, but about threats and invasion of privacy. When someone gets your home address, hacks your bank account, and is threatening physical violence, that's beyond "negative."

It might not stop a wave, but it can aid in stomping all over a new wave of threats and abuse if that happens. They're basically chucking out the old precedents, the old atmosphere that said to too many "this will be tolerated and ignored except a few deleted posts." There's no old precedent, anymore. The old ways don't count. New game.

That, to me, is positive. Time will tell how it works, but it sounds better, to me, as a statement, than the unspoken tolerating of the past.

numberthirty
04-30-2014, 09:39 PM

Yes, but my point is about the seals and dolphins. There is no system that only catches trolls, no one that has any basic knowledge of the net should be under any illusion that a system like that exists. These systems for the most part hurt the random average user and the more harsh it is the more it hurts them.

While I see where you're coming from, it feels like "A Forum That Achieves The Objective" is going to trump "A Forum That Is Good For The Random User And Interesting To Read" in the eyes of the folks running the CBR Forum.

It will be interesting to see if they even go back to the more user friendly DC(with sub-forums)/Marvel(with sub-forums)/Independents(with sub-forums) layout of the old board. I know that the old DC Vertigo board going to a single "General Discussion" section killed of quite a bit of participation.

The Kid
04-30-2014, 09:46 PM
Didn't have many posts before to begin with so I have no problem with this at all. Hope CBR can have good discussions to come

Marvel_Is
04-30-2014, 10:47 PM
I like this CBR better. Everything's streamlined now and you'll (hopefully) get to know your neighbors better. :)

DebkoX
04-30-2014, 11:06 PM
I also approve. Everyone's still here and there's more coming.
It was time for a revamp. And I can now go on the site fully on mobile devices now!

Sighphi
05-01-2014, 12:17 AM
It's not about "super negative," though, but about threats and invasion of privacy. When someone gets your home address, hacks your bank account, and is threatening physical violence, that's beyond "negative."

It might not stop a wave, but it can aid in stomping all over a new wave of threats and abuse if that happens. They're basically chucking out the old precedents, the old atmosphere that said to too many "this will be tolerated and ignored except a few deleted posts." There's no old precedent, anymore. The old ways don't count. New game.

That, to me, is positive. Time will tell how it works, but it sounds better, to me, as a statement, than the unspoken tolerating of the past.

But did all that stuff happen exclusively in this board? I didnt follow that whole thing and was briefly in it and what i saw was simply discussions of the event and the reaction. This was the eye of the storm but dont think that this was the only place the storm touched. So having this reaction based on some possible outside event means that CBR is going to have to protect itself by even stopping the source. I think CBR is taking the blame for this simply because there was discussion happening. So they are going to have to just not let us respond to articles or even make threads about them.

While I see where you're coming from, it feels like "A Forum That Achieves The Objective" is going to trump "A Forum That Is Good For The Random User And Interesting To Read" in the eyes of the folks running the CBR Forum.

That's the problem some folks have here, this done for a specific reason and the community here is just taking the hit.

Tandaemonium
05-01-2014, 12:24 AM
Might I suggest a core tenet to the new rules that I believe effectively maintained the high level of quality posts at TWoP and now Previously.TV:

NO POSTING/COMMENTING on users/posters.

It derails and distracts from the topics and subjects as well as allowing escalation of emotions far more easily.

You can agree/disagree with opinions fine while making your own assertions and points, but the exclusion of personalizing the back and forth completely eliminates the tendency to devolve into nerd wars.

Example of this rule implemented:

Original Poster: "I think it was a great idea for the writers to scale back her power set as it caused previous writers to have written themselves into a corner with that resulting in boring storytelling."

Replying Poster: "I see it differently. A good writer is a good writer and will find a way to write well and stay true to the character without marginalizing what made him/her special."

Example of this rule not implemented:

Original Poster: "I think it was a great idea for the writers to scale back her power set as it caused previous writers to have written themselves into a corner with that resulting in boring storytelling."

Replying Poster: "Serious question: Is it even possible at all for you to not like something? I see it differently. A good writer is a good writer and will find a way to write well and stay true to the character without marginalizing what made him/her special. Maybe you should stick to Archie."

urmyth
05-01-2014, 12:27 AM
This is a good thing. Some of the other sites could do with a shakeup.

I've never been a regular poster before, and admittedly flipped off the occasional snarky comment in reaction to articles in the past, but reading Wielands declaration has made me consider getting more involved in forums generally. And taking it more seriously. For one thing, if I feel the urge to write something longer I'm probably going to do it in word and paste it in. Makes for better reading.

UnbreakableVow
05-01-2014, 12:32 AM
I've just gotten into comics relatively recently, and wasn't really aware of how the forums were before. CBR was something I simply subscribed to on my Facebook feed to keep a steady flow of comics/film info coming to me.

But after hearing about the new direction from another forum, I felt compelled to go ahead and sign up.

At the very least, this is exposure, positive exposure.

StoneGold
05-01-2014, 12:37 AM
So people who were banned before -- and I think we could bring up a few -- are they allowed back in if they can follow the rules? Granted, not being able to is what got the booted before, but still.

Iron Maiden
05-01-2014, 12:53 AM
So people who were banned before -- and I think we could bring up a few -- are they allowed back in if they can follow the rules? Granted, not being able to is what got the booted before, but still.

That's what I was wondering too in another thread. I guess it will keep the mods busy if the banned members sneak back in. I suspect most of them wouldn't take long fall back into their old posting ways and get banned again.

Handsome men don't lose fights
05-01-2014, 12:57 AM

I know four permabans who are currently posting in this forum.

Raichi
05-01-2014, 01:02 AM
CBR Forums: New 52 Edition!
This is a good thing and hopefully things just keep getting better from here!

Pat Thomas
05-01-2014, 01:08 AM
I know four permabans who are currently posting in this forum.

They'll get banned again if they don't shape up, though. It may take awhile for them to weed out the troublemakers, but they will.

magnuskn
05-01-2014, 01:32 AM
Also highly appreciated. Now watch your boards and keep the people who just want to fight and troll and insult away, please.

yet another
05-01-2014, 04:25 AM
Good luck with the new CBR!

I like the new forum layout, all comics in a single place without any Marvel/DC/Others apartheid. As well as the community streamlining.

BumbleBecc
05-01-2014, 04:53 AM
I'm hopeful this can be a new beginning.

It is true that a prevailing nastiness and aggressiveness had spread through the forum and it was enough to drive me away.
I didn't think i would return, but i applaud Jonah and his Admin's efforts and i think a clean slate is the best chance for here.

Sincerely

Thank You

Sprite
05-01-2014, 05:31 AM
While this is a pretty radical move, the staff's hearts are in the right place. Going foward, I hope that I and other new and old members will help to make CBR a more inclusive and positive community.

rpriske
05-01-2014, 05:47 AM
Well done Jonah. There is no reason to stand for such miserable behaviour.

sweetdumbass
05-01-2014, 05:49 AM
I really don't get the whole "I didn't dare sign up before but now I feel safe" thing tbh. What was terrifying you so much ?

zevious zoquis
05-01-2014, 05:55 AM
I don't get it either. I joined the forum a few years back and never felt any hatred or venom directed towards me at all. Just seemed like most any forum. I fairly quickly determined which members were potential "problems" and ignored them and interacted with the folks who seemed to share my perspectives ftmp. I mean a forum is just like the RW...you aren't going to get along with everyone...

BumbleBecc
05-01-2014, 06:08 AM
I really don't get the whole "I didn't dare sign up before but now I feel safe" thing tbh. What was terrifying you so much ?

I can't answer for others. I left, i'm willing to come back and give it a try again, because what has happened is big enough that it suggests there is a will to change. It is also big enough that one would hope that it would cause people to at least think about their behaviour.

If you have not seen the nastiness that characterised some parts of CBR before than i'm glad for you. Some of us did, and it was enough to make us not want to be here.

I want to talk about comics, i've not found many active places to do that. i want to talk with people who have interesting ideas about comics, and who are willing to talk about them and even disagree about them in a civilised manner, without denegrating people or expressing opinions in the most pejorative terms in order to provoke a reaction, and without causing issues concerning someones gender, or ethnicity, or orientation, for example.

Simply saying that one wasn't part of the problem, or didn't notice the problem isn't really helping to solve it.
Maybe this can be a start.
Isn't it worth trying to be a part of that?

sweetdumbass
05-01-2014, 06:17 AM
I can't answer for others. I left, i'm willing to come back and give it a try again, because what has happened is big enough that it suggests there is a will to change. It is also big enough that one would hope that it would cause people to at least think about their behaviour.

If you have not seen the nastiness that characterised some parts of CBR before than i'm glad for you. Some of us did, and it was enough to make us not want to be here.

I want to talk about comics, i've not found many active places to do that. i want to talk with people who have interesting ideas about comics, and who are willing to talk about them and even disagree about them in a civilised manner, without denegrating people or expressing opinions in the most pejorative terms in order to provoke a reaction, and without causing issues concerning someones gender, or ethnicity, or orientation, for example.

Simply saying that one wasn't part of the problem, or didn't notice the problem isn't really helping to solve it.

your case is different because you were a poster that had a bad exp and left (which, you had bad exp with some posters/boards but not every poster of every board I assume, making the argument that the whole place needed to be erased moot), I'm talking about the people who never signed up and were liberated by this. Why ? New people would come everyday (on the xboards at least, can't talk for other places) and for like the biggest majority of them things would go well.

Also, just talking for myself like you did : I'm concerned this new policy would hamper smart, free, critical discussion in the fear that "it would get too negative". It's been happening already for a while. This is way more worrisome than post counts.

zevious zoquis
05-01-2014, 06:23 AM

This is an almost perfect description of what we had here two days ago. I don't know what you think is different now from two days ago other than that there are no posts older than 2 days...

BumbleBecc
05-01-2014, 06:27 AM
your case is different because you were a poster that had a bad exp and left (which, you had bad exp with some posters/boards but not every poster of every board I assume, making the argument that the whole place needed to be erased moot), I'm talking about the people who never signed up and were liberated by this. Why ? New people would come everyday (on the xboards at least, can't talk for other places) and for like the biggest majority of them things would go well.

Also, just talking for myself like you did : I'm concerned this new policy would hamper smart, free, critical discussion in the fear that "it would get too negative". It's been happening already for a while. This is way more worrisome than post counts.

Absolutely it was not everyone. There were some very nice people here, there still are.
There was also enough of the other kind to make it an unpleasant experience though, and this would happen over and over again.

There were also people unwilling to even concede it.

Maybe it takes as big a change as this to make people thing because otherwise they will say 'It wasn't me' or 'I didn't see it' and stick their heads in the sand.

I don't see how it can hamper free critical discussion if people simply refrain from demeaning each other or using deliberately provocative language .

BumbleBecc
05-01-2014, 06:28 AM
This is an almost perfect description of what we had here two days ago. I don't know what you think is different now from two days ago other than that there are no posts older than 2 days...

Unless it had changed in the time i was away, then no, that is simply not the case.
Whilst much of the board was ok, there were times when it was a profoundly unpleasant place to be.

I've made my position clear, i think this action shows there is a will to deal with the issues that existed before. I support Jonah and the Admins, it gives me hope, not a feeling that everything has been fixed overnight.

Hopefully enough people will think about the kind of attitudes that caused this to occur and maybe it can get better.
It helps no one to deny there was a problem.

sweetdumbass
05-01-2014, 06:33 AM
I don't see how it can hamper free critical discussion if people simply refrain from demeaning each other or using deliberately provocative language .

because it's not just about demeaning or language. The current rule is that mods can delete anything they that doesn't fit with this ill-defined new direction and protesting is against the rule. And breaking the rules gets you a swift permaban bc zero tolerance policy. Don't you see how this is a slippery slope ?

Michael P
05-01-2014, 06:37 AM
Don't you see how this is a slippery slope ?

That reminds me, I need to put the old Digest thread into a Word file this weekend.

CliffHanger2
05-01-2014, 06:39 AM
In my Fender Tremolo voice: I like the new forum" haha.

CliffHanger2
05-01-2014, 06:43 AM
because it's not just about demeaning or language. The current rule is that mods can delete. anything they that doesn't fit with this ill-defined new direction and protesting is against the rule. And breaking the rules gets you a swift permaban bc zero tolerance policy. Don't you see how this is a slippery slope ?

I dont think its that serious. They're basically just saying don't be a jerk to people because you disagree with them. Its not a hard thing to do.

randomengine
05-01-2014, 06:46 AM
I wholly support the new forum and reasons for it. I am usually a negative nancy, but I too was taken aback by the surge of negativity flowing around me. It was way past time.

randomengine
05-01-2014, 06:49 AM
One of the consequences of this that I really agree with and enjoy is keeping those discussion threads that have nothing to do with comics out of the comics forums. Like that X-Crescence thread that always would clog up the X-Men forum. Gone. I love it.

zevious zoquis
05-01-2014, 06:49 AM
I dont think its that serious. They're basically just saying don't be a jerk to people because you disagree with them. Its not a hard thing to do.

right. So how is that different from the forum 2 days ago?

Look, it's nice that some folks feel this is an opportunity to join the community and take part, but in two weeks time most of them will have had some sort of a disagreement with somebody that maybe they feel was too much negativity or something and they will vacate the forums again. Its simply not possible to have a forum where nobody ever gets their feelings hurt or their sensibilities offended. We're dealing with real people here, not some fantasy land. You have to have a bit of a thick skin and realize that not everybody is going to share your particular values or opinions about things.

Hod
05-01-2014, 06:53 AM

Look, it's nice that some folks feel this is an opportunity to join the community and take part, but in two weeks time most of them will have had some sort of a disagreement with somebody that maybe they feel was too much negativity or something and they will vacate the forums again. Its simply not possible to have a forum where nobody ever gets their feelings hurt or their sensibilities offended. We're dealing with real people here, not some fantasy land. You have to have a bit of a thick skin and realize that not everybody is going to share your particular values or opinions about things.

Yes, and you can respond to them by engaging them in a respectful and pleasant manner, or you can be a dick.

All that is happening is that there is now a zero tolerance over people being dicks.

randomengine
05-01-2014, 06:54 AM

No one is saying disagreements won't happen. How one handles disagreement is what is under the microscope here. People who cannot deal with disagreement well, the ban hammer is looking for them.

zevious zoquis
05-01-2014, 06:55 AM
No one is saying disagreements won't happen. How one handles disagreement is what is under the microscope here. People who cannot deal with disagreement well, the ban hammer is looking for them.

yeah, but again why does that require the wipe?? Can't "the ban hammer" just be used more prodigiously without wiping the entire slate?

randomengine
05-01-2014, 06:57 AM
yeah, but again why does that require the wipe?? Can't "the ban hammer" just be used more prodigiously without wiping the entire slate?

I was part of the CBR community for years. What is the big deal with a wipe? Everything has been preserved. What, so you can't have those big post numbers? Big deal. I really don't see a problem.

randomengine
05-01-2014, 06:58 AM
What is going on here is Tabula Rasa - meaning clean slate. You cannot have a clean slate, without an actual honest to goodness clean slate.

GatheringComic
05-01-2014, 07:03 AM
Thank you so much, Jonah, for what you've done here. It is a magnificent step in the right direction, and if the new CBR Community can be a bastion of light to the comics community as a whole, it would be remarkable. As someone who, under older user names, has struggled with victimization on the old forums in the past, I greatly appreciate it.

Thank you, Jonah, and to the men and women of CBR.

Well said.

I'll certainly be doing my best to post here more often in different threads.

DDD
05-01-2014, 07:07 AM
Not everything has been preserved, Google is linking to non existant pages, within a few weeks no results will show up and a lot of information will be lost. The forum wasn't just a place to post chit chat. Anyway, we're supposed to argue the change in the other thread.

The only period I didn't like CBR was about 2006-9. The last few years, I felt it was being moderated a lot more fairly and frequently. Thank you for the hard work you have put into it, it's been fun. I concede I stopped venturing outside of the X-Books board so I might have not known about trouble outside.

Kieran_Frost
05-01-2014, 07:11 AM
I'm very excited for the changes. Hopefully it will make all threads kinder.
:)

BumbleBecc
05-01-2014, 07:18 AM

This

And...

Its different because now they have stood up and said ENOUGH!

Without it, or with just an announcement people would have gone on saying.

'It wasn't me'
'I never saw it'

Well people DID participate or they tolerated and ignored, although, yes, thankfully some even objected... but now action has been taken to say its NOT ok.
Everyone should take the opportunity to look at themselves and ask if their behaviour could be better.

All we have to do is be decent to each other... it's easy.

randomengine
05-01-2014, 07:22 AM
In my experience with large online communities, including my years of playing World of Warcraft, the thing that ruins a community is when that community develops a sense of entitlement (and a feeling of anonymity). Entitlement leads to casual elitism and casual elitism leads to being a jerk and so on and so forth. What was done here, and I applaud it, was to show you have no entitlement. You are not entitled to anything on this board. It is not a right, but a privilege. Everything you say can be used against you. Just make sure, over time, you don't let a sense of entitlement take hold, because then we will just end up back where we started.

Jared H
05-01-2014, 07:28 AM

Hey, Blank! I know you from Penny Arcade(Sagroth over there). Nice to have you swing by!

Paul W.
05-01-2014, 07:29 AM
Pol Rua was right!

Fire is the answer!

DDD
05-01-2014, 07:31 AM
the thing that ruins a community is when that community develops a sense of entitlement (and a feeling of anonymity).

Janelle using her real name did not "protect" her at all. When I was young, I was in a bad neighborhood. Everyone knew who the thieves and drug dealers/addicts were and it wasn't any safer.

zevious zoquis
05-01-2014, 07:31 AM
Well, whatever. We'll see how things go from here. I just think that any improvements to the tone of the forums will come as a result of more stringent moderation - which could have occurred without wiping the forums. I'm pretty sure that a month from now things will be almost exactly as they were two days ago except that we won't be able to look back into all those great old posts anymore...

randomengine
05-01-2014, 07:42 AM
Janelle using her real name did not "protect" her at all. When I was young, I was in a bad neighborhood. Everyone knew who the thieves and drug dealers/addicts were and it wasn't any safer.

You misunderstand. The anonymity felt by her harassers is what allows them to act like a jerk with impunity. The neighborhood example supports my argument of entitlement as well.

DDD
05-01-2014, 07:45 AM
You misunderstand. The anonymity felt by her harassers is what allows them to act like a jerk with impunity.

Several houses would get robbed in my neighborhood and everyone knew who did it.
There are several rumors of comic book creators for the big 2 harassing women and it's an "open secret" so everyone knows, they just pretend it isn't happening.

The only people who are in any danger are people like Janelle.

Nobody is going to go beat up someone for making threats.

Someone being attacked for internet comments does not necessarily deserve it. Janelle certainly did not.

Lack of anonymity only benefits bullies.

BumbleBecc
05-01-2014, 07:53 AM
Several houses would get robbed in my neighborhood and everyone knew who did it.
There are several rumors of comic book creators for the big 2 harassing women and it's an "open secret" so everyone knows, they just pretend it isn't happening.

The only people who are in any danger are people like Janelle.

Nobody is going to go beat up someone for making threats.

Someone being attacked for internet comments does not necessarily deserve it. Janelle certainly did not.

Lack of anonymity only benefits bullies.

That's why i applaud what has been done here... Jonah and his admins are NOT going to pretend nothing was wrong.

t hedge coke
05-01-2014, 09:01 AM
That's why i applaud what has been done here... Jonah and his admins are NOT going to pretend nothing was wrong.

I'm really banking on this. I'm thrilled to see some really great posters coming back right now, because I hope this is a new day with a new MO.

The mods have done great work, in the past, trimming threads, and the worst posters have been bounced, but you could easily see some bullies or whiners act unconscionably thread after thread, post after post without being noticeably censured. I've also seen some flat out good people just blow up finally over a repeat offender and get temp-banned, and while I empathize, yeah, if you earn a temporary ban, you earn it (and it's just temporary).

I want this place back to a situation where I feel cool telling people to join or return, because abuse won't be tolerated. Not disagreement. We can all disagree. But trying to establish geek qualification tests or pulling out "you don't even read comics (because you disagree with me) and you're a #^&#ing #&@%@" isn't disagreeing, it's posturing and abuse. If we're done with that, I'm thrilled. If we're not tolerating that anymore, I'm happy.

BumbleBecc
05-01-2014, 09:07 AM
I'm really banking on this. I'm thrilled to see some really great posters coming back right now, because I hope this is a new day with a new MO.

The mods have done great work, in the past, trimming threads, and the worst posters have been bounced, but you could easily see some bullies or whiners act unconscionably thread after thread, post after post without being noticeably censured. I've also seen some flat out good people just blow up finally over a repeat offender and get temp-banned, and while I empathize, yeah, if you earn a temporary ban, you earn it (and it's just temporary).

I want this place back to a situation where I feel cool telling people to join or return, because abuse won't be tolerated. Not disagreement. We can all disagree. But trying to establish geek qualification tests or pulling out "you don't even read comics (because you disagree with me) and you're a #^&#ing #&@%@" isn't disagreeing, it's posturing and abuse. If we're done with that, I'm thrilled. If we're not tolerating that anymore, I'm happy.

Have to agree with every word.

And it's so good to see you again. Travis :)

Marc Lombardi
05-01-2014, 09:24 AM
Excellent move on CBR & Jonah's part. Hopefully once all of the people concerned with post counts and "forum history" move on, the community as a whole can be more inviting and welcoming. I know it sure made me more likely to want to post here again (as I barely posted on the older forum).

Ghostwise
05-01-2014, 09:36 AM
I am cautiously optimistic. If the place no longer is a cesspit, I could see awesome people such as me posting more often.

A glance at the current threads leaves me... guarded, though.

JasonTodd428
05-01-2014, 09:42 AM

I totally agree with you as well. I don't mind a good old fashioned debate but a lot of what went on was far from that and not at all what I registered with this forum to be involved in. I wanted to talk about comics not be lambasted for daring to disagree with someone because they like certain writers that I don't care for. I'm glad of the change myself.

Cleric of Hell’s Brigade
05-01-2014, 09:44 AM
I can understand why they did it. I wish they had at least given some warning, but I do understand. It saddens me that it had to happen, or that it was the move Jonah felt had to happen, but I'm still here. My friends are still here, and the overall idea behind Rumbles, and the rets of the forum is still here.

I can make it work. :)

Mbast1
05-01-2014, 09:50 AM
you can't stop that completely without becoming some sort of tyrant

I actually don't have a problem with that. If the owners want to control their fora, good on them. And this is from someone who, on the old DC boards, could be quite heated in discussions. It's getting out of control, and if people want to limit what vitriol others spew, fine. Good on them.

cgh
05-01-2014, 10:12 AM
My main issue before was the inconsistent moderation when people openly insulted creators ("hack", "destroyed <insert name of character here>", "disgusting", etc.) In certain forums, action was only taken after it had crossed into profanity and wishes of death or whatever. Often these remarks were posted by people who proudly proclaimed they bought no comics because "all modern comics suck". In other cases, it was obvious the mod(s) at least somewhat sympathised with their discontent and let it slide.

I belong to only one other online community, one concerned with computer programming. If someone joined, announced they didn't write software because "all programming languages suck" and proceeded to tell everyone why the creators of Haskell were idiots, they'd be banned so quickly that most people wouldn't even see their posts.

But around here, such posts were often tolerated and punished with at most temporary bans. Hopefully these black holes of negativity will be kept away this time.

FLEX HECTIC
05-01-2014, 10:32 AM
Now that all the evidence of my past TROLL behavior is dispelled with an acquittal is sure to be handed down from the grand jury! ;)

Thanks Jonah... You are so BOSS right now that I put you in my five! :cool:

1. Stan Lee

2. Jack "King" Kirby

3. Bob Kane

4. Alan Moore

5. That Dude Named Jonah

This is comic books and Jonah just became an urban legend by pulling the plug and rebooting the whole thing!

Every man has a moment where he can leave a mark on the world and Jonah just did it real BIG with this power move!

Think about when you thought about pulling the fire alarm at school or ordering a pizza to a fake address or running out naked on the field during the Super Bowl but did not have the guts to do it!

Now imagine 100,000 plus members being emotionally affected by just one move that you do... Just the thought of it gives me tingles inside!

Jonah can I do the next reboot... Just pretend like I bought out CBR in some hostile corporate takeover and I'll wear a Darth Vader cape just to add a teensy bit of cosplay and blow things up again!

This is so Doctor Doom and I can't believe people don't get it on a subatomic molecular level... It doesn't count though if you didn't do it with a diabolical laugh so please tell me that you cackled madly at 0.0 hour!

Jonah For The Win!!!

Mr MajestiK
05-01-2014, 10:37 AM
As far as I'm concerned, the reboot was neccessary and as such, people should just get to posting and engaging in friendly debate without feeling the need to alienate or belittle their fellow posters.

This is a fresh start and I for one, choose to embrace the positive change with much happiness and tranquility. :)

Mr MajestiK
05-01-2014, 10:40 AM

Welcome to the board. :)

zevious zoquis
05-01-2014, 10:47 AM
I was part of the CBR community for years. What is the big deal with a wipe? Everything has been preserved. What, so you can't have those big post numbers? Big deal. I really don't see a problem.

nothing has been preserved. 2 weeks from now its gone. And my post numbers were around 300...

structuregeek
05-01-2014, 10:51 AM
As a new member who signed up specifically because I support the reasons for the reboot, I do feel that purging the old archives (rather than simply locking and archiving them) is a real mistake. Preserving history is not the same as endorsing it. Erasing evidence of past harm (and failure to moderate same) does not undo the damage already caused. It does, however, erase the good along with the bad.

Some die-hards will pine for the good old days before everything was ruined. Others will dismiss years of discussion that occurred either before their time, or outside their particular interests and tastes, as an open sewer now thankfully paved over for the good of all. This will occur whether the old posts are deleted are not. Wiping the actual record simply makes it easier for selective memories and historical revisionism to take hold, while denying future visitors the ability to make their own determinations.

Paul W.
05-01-2014, 11:06 AM
As a new member who signed up specifically because I support the reasons for the reboot, I do feel that purging the old archives (rather than simply locking and archiving them) is a real mistake. Preserving history is not the same as endorsing it. Erasing evidence of past harm (and failure to moderate same) does not undo the damage already caused. It does, however, erase the good along with the bad.

Some die-hards will pine for the good old days before everything was ruined. Others will dismiss years of discussion that occurred either before their time, or outside their particular interests and tastes, as an open sewer now thankfully paved over for the good of all. This will occur whether the old posts are deleted are not. Wiping the actual record simply makes it easier for selective memories and historical revisionism to take hold, while denying future visitors the ability to make their own determinations.

Anecdote ahead.

A decade or so ago, an internet place where a bunch of nice people hung out and shot the shit was about to get razed. People were moving elsewhere and it was functionally dead already. About the same time, a bunch of very interesting collaborative stories was about to lose its home as well. Some of that got preserved because authors wanted to keep it, but parts were destined for oblivion. Rather than lose that 3 or 4 years of posting history, someone took it upon themself to spend a solid week cut'n'pasting *page by page* 30MB of zipped data so it wouldn't be lost forever.

My advice to those who lament the "history" is obvious. Go and preserve it.

davethebrave
05-01-2014, 12:54 PM
Adding my voice to the chorus! I only joined because I read the article explaining the reasoning behind the forum wipe and restructure, and I'm excited for a safer space!

Legato
05-01-2014, 01:39 PM
I say the reboot has improved the community forums. Speaking as someone that has been around before the cleansing the old community forum was nothing but a place where people would rather bicker like a bunch of children at a school yard than actually talk about the issues they're supposed to talk about. It's one of the reasons why I avoided that forum like the plague.

Cam6363
05-01-2014, 06:33 PM
My best to all who deserve it.

T.D.
05-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Glad to see members of the comics community taking steps to change the nasty, misogynistic, fake-geek-guy culture that has been leeching off of our fictional heroes.

Proud to be a member of CBR forums.

zevious zoquis
05-01-2014, 06:49 PM
I say the reboot has improved the community forums. Speaking as someone that has been around before the cleansing the old community forum was nothing but a place where people would rather bicker like a bunch of children at a school yard than actually talk about the issues they're supposed to talk about. It's one of the reasons why I avoided that forum like the plague.

hmmm...I've been around for a while too and the forum seems almost exactly like always to me - only none of the threads are older than a couple days of course.

Zappit
05-01-2014, 06:51 PM
Saw the news and decided to join up. It sounds like a great idea. Clean up the community, foster a positive environment, all that jazz. The problem with vicious trolls is all over the Internet, and I for one support such measures to shut them down.

West
05-01-2014, 07:08 PM
My main issue before was the inconsistent moderation when people openly insulted creators ("hack", "destroyed <insert name of character here>", "disgusting", etc.) In certain forums, action was only taken after it had crossed into profanity and wishes of death or whatever. Often these remarks were posted by people who proudly proclaimed they bought no comics because "all modern comics suck". In other cases, it was obvious the mod(s) at least somewhat sympathised with their discontent and let it slide.

I belong to only one other online community, one concerned with computer programming. If someone joined, announced they didn't write software because "all programming languages suck" and proceeded to tell everyone why the creators of Haskell were idiots, they'd be banned so quickly that most people wouldn't even see their posts.

But around here, such posts were often tolerated and punished with at most temporary bans. Hopefully these black holes of negativity will be kept away this time.

You don't have to be a five star chef to critique a meal son

Peope have a right to constructive criticism or an opinion

Dr. Kusa San
05-01-2014, 07:26 PM
So, despite what Jonah said in the "NO Thank you" thread, we can't chitchat. I'm terribly confused about the rules now. Why can't we have a chitchat thread like X-Cres or Rita's?

thecrimson
05-01-2014, 07:31 PM
So, despite what Jonah said in the "NO Thank you" thread, we can't chitchat. I'm terribly confused about the rules now. Why can't we have a chitchat thread like X-Cres or Rita's?

Yeah, I just noticed that. Not sure what's up.

randomengine
05-02-2014, 10:32 AM

Sure you can....in the chat thread.

Joshua
05-02-2014, 11:13 AM
Losing a username that I had for near a decade kinda stunk but I will get over it. If this is a better place after D-Day then I am all for it.

Pinsir
05-03-2014, 07:14 PM
Losing a username that I had for near a decade kinda stunk but I will get over it. If this is a better place after D-Day then I am all for it.

What was your username?

Mari
05-05-2014, 04:11 AM
Like many others I am not sure deleting of the forum was a necessary thing to do. Perhaps just enforcing rules stronger would be the same without deleting history for many.

But I am not understanding of the entire picture here. So from my limited viewpoint I still like what I see so far and also say "thank you" :)

Jonah Weiland
05-05-2014, 09:09 AM
So, despite what Jonah said in the "NO Thank you" thread, we can't chitchat. I'm terribly confused about the rules now. Why can't we have a chitchat thread like X-Cres or Rita's?I never said you can't chit chat -- I said you can't chit chat in that specific thread.

JDogindy
05-05-2014, 09:42 AM
I am thankful for the reboot, so I can start anew.

alyssa
05-05-2014, 01:07 PM
fully recognizing i'm a n00b here, kudos to putting in place a moderated forum.

some words i use to discourage a$$ behavior

"No flaming, trolling, or insulting.
Flaming includes putting another person down for his or her ideas, thoughts, and opinions. Excessive self-promotion, condescending pomposity, racism, sexism, any-other-ism, homophobia, acrophobia, and destructive (versus constructive) criticism will get you BANNED. Repeated offenses will lead to a permanent ban from the forums. We take politeness very seriously. You are welcome to challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. "

Curious to see how the move to a moderated forum plays out & the ripple effects. I've admin a sm moderated forum & am *always* interested in how the big guys do it. Good luck!

FLEX HECTIC
05-06-2014, 04:38 PM
I hear a party going on over there in North Hollywood... NoHo representing louder than Universal Studios on a holiday weekend! :cool:

At some point you have to respect the call that the referee made and keep it moving toward the next play or the next game if the one you just played is over...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy8dUJEOqos

King Of All Nerds
05-06-2014, 09:32 PM
I got this bitching new username out of the deal. It does seem a little boring around here since the purge but whatever.

Oldscarfloranimuj
05-07-2014, 12:58 PM
So that was not just an impression, I was thinking the same thing...