PDA

View Full Version : Personal headcanon

superduperman
10-02-2016, 04:47 PM
Are there any stories that you personally ignore when reading?

Sacred Knight
10-02-2016, 04:51 PM
In general I don't deal with the concept of headcanon. Overwhelmingly, I'm fine rolling with continuity as it is. Even with stories I consider outright disasters, its no big deal to me to at least acknowledge they happened once things move forward. I only ignore anything that hurts my immersion on a continuous, long-standing level. Which thankfully doesn't happen much, but Superman is mired in that state right now with the alternate Superman angle. I have to ignore that because its just so mind-numbingly stupid. Only other thing I remember having to ignore is Immortal Beloved because it tried to tell me that at the end of the tale, Superman and Wonder Woman were the equivalent of thousands of years old. Stuff on this level are the only things that I can't abide or acknowledge. And again thankfully such examples don't happen that often, and what's going on right now I still have every hope will resolve itself and erase the time refugee thing so I won't have to ignore anymore.

Dispenser Of Truth
10-02-2016, 05:17 PM
Yep. Why act as if every one of these pretend stories has to count for your favorite character when it gives you no joy to do so? Why act as if everything a character does is legitimately justifiable or logical on top of everything else they've done, character-wise or morally (i.e. Iron Man, Silver Age Superman, etc.) rather than just admitting stories aren't real, they only hold weight if you care? Headcannons, Hypertime and all that are just acknowledging the readers' role in the story.

Ascended
10-02-2016, 05:39 PM
Im somewhere between Sacred and DoT on this.

I dont typically ignore continuity. If a bad story happened or someone acted out of character because a writer or editor or Event forced them to, I typically accept it. Sometimes we just have crap days, and sometimes we do things we normally wouldnt do, and I let my fictional characters have that leeway as well. And sometimes, those out of character moments happen often enough that I realize its become a facet of that character. Like for example, Batman doesnt kill....except for all the times he's tried to kill the Joker. So now I find I have to accept that Bruce can be pushed to the point where he's willing to break that no-kill rule, even if he normally tries to uphold it. In my mind, all we've done is find out where his limits are through the act of multiple (arguably bad) stories that took him out of character.

But I dont consider myself a slave to continuity either. I can happily ignore isolated stories or events and write them off as anomalies that have no real bearing on anything. Grounded for example, has had no ramifications and has not impacted Superman in any real way (as DC tries to distance itself from the worst Superman story ever told) so I can write that off as if it never happened.

What I do a lot is connect dots that aren't actually connected. Like, I'll take all the different versions of Thanagar we've seen over the years, from all different media and eras, and I'll mix them together to form a singular vision in my mind. So *my* Thanagar is unlike any version that ever saw print, but has elements from all of them as well as other, non-related material that I feel fit for one reason or another, like some thematic and visual stuff from Dune and Stargate.

Kid_Quantum
10-04-2016, 02:28 PM
Tons of stuff.

Literally, decades of it. I largely make it up on my book shelf as I go along.

adrikito
10-04-2016, 02:43 PM
Yes..

-because I do not like the character.
-I will take a disappointment according another people.. sometimes you will listen that people, only sometimes..
-that story seems awful... FOR EXAMPLE I am fan of Joker but... I think.. I am not prepared for something like KILLING JOKE.. :(

Jon Clark
10-05-2016, 10:18 AM
There are stories I dislike.
There are stories that seem to contradict one another.

But usually if a story (good or bad) has no impact on what is going on at the moment it isn't on my mind. Superman #6 reads the same regardless of what prior events Superdad experienced. And if next issue hangs on whether my least favorite Superman tale ever is canon then my personal beliefs won't change that.

So while I do have my own little corner of the multiverse where I decide what events "my" Superman experienced, I accept that isn't the place the stuff DC publishes happens.