PDA

View Full Version : Eowyn vs Oberyn Martell

MichaelC
05-02-2014, 12:57 AM
Who wins this fight?

Primetime Harder
05-02-2014, 03:31 AM
Hard to say. Martell has the edge in speed and reach, but Eowyn definitely has it in strength and durability. She blocked a hit from a legendary, black-magic-imbued mace and it broke her shield-arm, and Oberyn got his skull punched in by a really big guy in plate armor.

Gorthaur
05-02-2014, 02:52 PM
Neither character really has all that many combat feats, but Oberyn's one scene is longer and more impressive (in terms of physical ability) than ╔owyn's, and his standard combat equipment includes a poisoned weapon. I suspect he's good and fast enough to nick the shield maiden, and after that, it's all downhill for ╔owyn.

Primetime Harder
05-02-2014, 05:51 PM
...his standard combat equipment includes a poisoned weapon. I suspect he's good and fast enough to nick the shield maiden, and after that, it's all downhill for ╔owyn.

It is worth noting that Eowyn fought the Witch-King while under the effects of the Black Breath, AKA the same thing that put Frodo into a coma. It wasn't just a poison on their morgul-blades; they could project it as an aura.

Gorthaur
05-02-2014, 05:56 PM
But only direct contact with a Nazgűl weapon causes the sort of physical malady that requires athelas and a king's hands to heal, so I don't think it's particularly relevant as a feat for resisting poisons in general.

Primetime Harder
05-02-2014, 06:18 PM
But only direct contact with a Nazgűl weapon causes the sort of physical malady that requires athelas and a king's hands to heal, so I don't think it's particularly relevant as a feat for resisting poisons in general.

Nope. (http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Breath) Perhaps in the movies, but not the books.

Gorthaur
05-02-2014, 06:50 PM
You're right. I recalled Faramir being struck by a Nazgűl dart, but upon checking, this was speculation on Imrahil's part. Even so, I'm not sure how relevant we can consider the Black Breath in this case, given that we are given no indication of the Witch-King specifically targetting Eˇwyn with this ability more so than any of the other combatants in his vicinity, that most of the soldiers involved in the battle did not experience symptoms like hers or Faramir's, and that the actual confrontation was over in, essentially, three strikes. If anything, it seems that Eˇwyn falling deathly ill from the mere presence of the With-King, rather than from physical contact, is a lesser feat.

Saitou Hajime
05-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Eowyn was able to get the better of Gothmog in a straight up fight in the extended edition.

Gorthaur
05-02-2014, 06:58 PM
The OP didn't mention the movies, though, so we're defaulting to the book.

Primetime Harder
05-02-2014, 08:24 PM
We could debate about the nature of the Black Breath until the cows come home, but having re-read Oberyn's duel, I have to concede that he has the better feats. It may not necessarily be the poison that takes her down, but rather Martell's advantage in both speed and reach. The poison is basically a coffin nail.

UFT
05-16-2014, 02:34 AM
i dont remember eowyn being noted as an especially impressive warrior in the books.