PDA

View Full Version : Wonder Woman 2 Set in 1980s, Chris Pine Returning?

Bound4olympus
07-10-2017, 05:18 PM
http://screenrant.com/wonder-woman-2-movie-setting-chris-pine/

I have no idea how to feel about this. Sounds interesting but I was expecting a present day setting.

Harpsikord
07-10-2017, 05:24 PM
I expected it to have a World War 2 setting, actually.

I think that this will be fun though. I'm guess Pine will be playing Steve Trevor's very attractive descendant, Steve Trevor, and also that we'll probably see a black Etta Candy - named as such after her grandmother.

FishyZombie
07-10-2017, 05:26 PM
YES!!! I was hoping for a cold war movie, but i didn't think they'd actually do it!

I expected it to have a World War 2 setting, actually.

I think that this will be fun though. I'm guess Pine will be playing Steve Trevor's very attractive descendant, Steve Trevor, and also that we'll probably see a black Etta Candy - named as such after her grandmother.

kinda doubt it'd be a decendent. He claimed he didn't have kids in the first one, plus you'd think even if it was a distant nephew or something, she'd give him that watch. And she still has it in modern day.

Nyssane
07-10-2017, 05:34 PM
That... Sounds awful.

WonderScott
07-10-2017, 05:47 PM
I'm envisioning Diana walking down the street in Easy Spirit pumps with gigantic, crunchy, power hair wearing a Sony Walkman listening to Devo.

gwangung
07-10-2017, 05:58 PM
Heh.

A) They could pull a Harrison Wells, where Pine comes back as A Trevor...but with different personalities every time they occur...

B) Or, it's a temporary resurrection, and both know it, with Steve living on borrrowed time.

The Kid
07-10-2017, 06:09 PM
Sounds fake. I'm pretty confident it will be in the present day

Bound4olympus
07-10-2017, 06:26 PM
I'm envisioning Diana walking down the street in Easy Spirit pumps with gigantic, crunchy, power hair wearing a Sony Walkman listening to Devo.

MajorHoy
07-10-2017, 06:50 PM
kinda doubt it'd be a decendent. He claimed he didn't have kids in the first one, plus you'd think even if it was a distant nephew or something, she'd give him that watch. And she still has it in modern day.Why couldn't it be a descendent he didn't even know about?
Do we know if Steve was a virgin in the first movie? Couldn't he have had a one-night fling just before shipping off to war, and it turns out one time was enough to produce a baby?

gwangung
07-10-2017, 06:53 PM
Why couldn't it be a descendent he didn't even know about?
Do we know if Steve was a virgin in the first movie? Couldn't he have had a one-night fling just before shipping off to war, and it turns out one time was enough to produce a baby?

If Steve Trevor was a virgin when he met Diana in ANY incarnation in ANY portion of the Multiverse, I'll eat my copy of the Perez trade of Diana's introduction to Man's World.

WonderScott
07-10-2017, 07:48 PM

We've already been SO CLOSE. ;)

HandofPrometheus
07-10-2017, 08:17 PM
Uh didn't they say the sequel was going to be in present day?

Vanguard-01
07-10-2017, 08:20 PM
I highly doubt this is legit. WB will want to announce this stuff on their time and in a place of their choosing. They're not going to let something like this come out on Screen Rant. Especially with SDCC coming up in a couple weeks.

Jim Kelly
07-10-2017, 08:29 PM
I call radishes on this. It seems to take a bunch of scraps of information from different sources, put faith in all that info being true, paste it all together as one thing and then take issue with that constructed reality that it just posited.

Clue one is that there's been no confirmation that Patty Jenkins has even agreed to direct the sequel. Since getting Jenkins is pretty important, there's no way the final treatment would be nailed down before that happens. Once it's sure that Jenkins is director, the story is bound to go through several evolutions.

Clue two is that they say for sure Chris Pine will return as Steve Trevor. In the first place, you wouldn't want to spoil such a development so early in the process. And in the second place, they would have to negotiate with Pine to get him back.

Clue three is that the first movie has only been out for six weeks and already there's a finished treatment that nails down all the important characters and developments in the story? Why would that all be completed so quickly?

WonderScott
07-10-2017, 08:34 PM
Yeah, it all seems like hearsay to me too.

Beantownbrown
07-10-2017, 08:39 PM
I hope this is fake, I prefer her in present day.

Vanguard-01
07-10-2017, 08:53 PM
Evidence that negates the idea that Steve is coming back if this movie is really set in the 1980s?

At the end of Diana's movie, she sends Bruce a message thanking him for "Bringing him back to me." If Steve returned to her in the 80s, he would still be with her just a couple decades later in modern time, unless Diana's going to lose him YET AGAIN.

Awonder
07-10-2017, 09:21 PM
O.O The 80s? This sounds like it was written on a dare. While drunk. And while watching the trailer for Atomic Blonde.

... I'm guess Pine will be playing Steve Trevor's very attractive descendant, Steve Trevor, ...

Oh, how I loathe this idea.

Jim Kelly
07-10-2017, 09:30 PM
I could see bits and pieces maybe being in the completed movie. There might be a scene set in the '80s (KGBeast?), there might be a scene with Steve (a flashback or modern day?)--those pieces could be in the movie without being the main story in the movie.

I sometimes wonder if JUSTICE LEAGUE could end with a Flashpoint incident--which would free all the following movies to go their own way with continuity. But nah, I think DC would keep that in their back pocket until they're really desperate to reboot their movie franchises. And I think the Marvel movies will use that card first, to reset their universe after Infinity War.

DochaDocha
07-10-2017, 10:17 PM
For all the Captain America comparisons, I guess it would only make sense that Hollywood Chris would've miraculously survived that plane crash, and a guy thought to be dead from the first movie turned up alive decades later.

Troian
07-10-2017, 11:32 PM
That... Sounds awful.

Fingers crossed its fake.:P

The I.A.D.C.
07-11-2017, 09:10 AM
Makes no sense. At the end of "Batman v Superman" she tells Bruce that she "walked away from this a hundred years ago." The WW movie opens with her saying "I used to want to save the world." Makes it clear (to me at least) that she wasn't very active after WWI until the Doomsday battle in "BvS." Was she lying?
I enjoyed Chris Pine as Steve Trevor. His performance was so good that I was genuinely bummed to see him die. I'm of two minds there. On one hand it would be fun to have him back and I've said they could go the route the TV Show took and have him play a great-grandson or something. Or he can be a Steve from another earth if they decide to incorporate the multi-verse into the movies. Or he could be the original Steve thrown forward through time or something. Who knows? But, his death was a pivotal moment in the first movie that bringing him back may remove its impact. We'll see.

Jim Kelly
07-11-2017, 09:27 AM
First there was the Red Son movie rumour and now this '80s Cold War rumour. Sounds like someone wants DC to do a Cold War movie and they're just coming up with different scenarios for how to get that done. Could it be because of current politics? Fake news?

dianafan1985
07-11-2017, 09:31 AM
I wouldn't mind this in the least. I can just picture her looking like George Perez's Diana, and even flying like George Perez's Diana as well. Perhaps there would be a cameo of a baby Clark, and a teenage, Bruce Wayne. Sounds very interesting to me, even though what I expected to be in WW2 was the present day some time after Justice League.

I can understand why some folks would be concerned.

Vanguard-01
07-11-2017, 09:35 AM
First there was the Red Son movie rumour and now this '80s Cold War rumour. Sounds like someone wants DC to do a Cold War movie and they're just coming up with different scenarios for how to get that done. Could it be because of current politics? Fake news?

It has to be fake. I mean, last we heard Patty Jenkins and Geoff Johns were working together on the treatment for the sequel. The number of people who likely know ANYTHING about the work that's been done so far is likely very small. You've got Patty, Geoff, probably at least a few people in their professional circles, maybe the WB execs directly tied to the DCEU? That's a pretty small number of people, all of whom are likely quite well-versed in how to not blab plans to the press until WB is ready to make a big official reveal.

So seriously, where did this information come from? Did Geoff Johns tell someone at Screen Rant that this is what they're working on? Did someone from Screen Rant overhear Patty Jenkins talking about it on her cell phone? Is Jon Berg's assistant dating someone at Screen Rant and let something slip in the throes of passion?

It certainly wasn't an official reveal from WB. They would've told just about everybody by now. So either someone slipped up somewhere, or this is mostly made up nonsense.

dianafan1985
07-11-2017, 09:48 AM

Why would this be because of current politics? "Fake news?"?

In any event, this would establish Diana as a hero pre:the Man Of Steel, and pre:the Dark Knight. She would truly be the first hero in the DCEU. This movie would examine her immortality as a goddess; how she remains the same throughout the ages.

Maybe it would touch upon a different aspect of Diana's history; her first movie dealt with her golden age (in my opinion - there were a few aspects of Perez but you get what I mean), and then her second movie would focus on her mission (much like her post crisis identity) to preach peace in the world. She could be portrayed as a pacifist (the ultimate one) trying to bring forth peace and unity between Russia and the USA. We could see something like what Jimenez wrote 17 years ago when Lois Lane accompanied Diana on her daily activities (pre the social media/facebook age).

And of course there could be epic action intertwined with this story with some of the vilest villains in Wonder Woman's Rogue gallery (Circe, Decay...).

I think the story potential could go to many places.

I personally think this is a good thing!

Jim Kelly
07-11-2017, 11:25 AM
If a Wonder Woman movie was going to be set in the past, for me the 1980s wouldn't be the most interesting era to set it. Of course, I also thought it was strange that the first movie was set in WW I--until I saw the movie and then I was made a believer.

Now, this strange timeframe could actually lend the rumour some credence. If the gossip were that the next movie is going to be set in WW II, there wouldn't be much reason to give that credence--as that's such an easy guess. Anyone could bet that the movie would be in WW II and Steve Trevor will return, so the 1980s angle gives this rumour some freshness.

I do believe it's a made-up rumour--for all the reasons already stated--and I'm just trying to figure out why the rumour-monger picked the "80s and the Cold War. The trick to driving traffic is having search terms in the item that will bring people to your page. That's why connecting it to Russia may have been a clever bit of rumour-mongery at this time. Also the same items tend to be recycled through the rumour mill, so I can see how the Red Son rumour was put in the spin cycle and came out as Wonder Woman Cold War rumour a few weeks later.

If they are going to do another period movie, I'd hate it to be set so late. There's so much that could be done in the forty years between WW I and the '80s. However, I think they want to have Diana in modern times because they want to use Wonder Woman to push their other projected movies. And having a story in the now helps with that. That's not to say the whole movie has to be contemporary. I would be quite happy if they mixed past and present--and don't nail down too many details, so that future movies can develop even more stuff from the past.

Sacred Knight
07-11-2017, 12:37 PM
I'm not buying this. As others have already stated, its clearly pointed out at this point that between Wonder Woman and BvS, Diana has been largely inactive from a superhero point of view. Its Superman's sacrifice and the threat Batman was shown (Darkseid) to that inspires her to pick things back up. And her thanks to Bruce over the picture beautifully insinuate that between then and now, this is the only thing of Steve she's seen/had. Those touching narratives is lost if they suddenly say, oh, well, that was just hyperbole, she did have this one adventure in the 80s with a revived Steve.... :p

I have no doubt Chris Pine is returning as Steve Trevor, don't get me wrong, but it'll be in a present day tale.

Miles To Go
07-11-2017, 01:43 PM
I'd rather it be a scenario similar to how they handled two Steves in the classic WW series.

Maybe have Pine show up at the beginning and end as a descendant Diana is dating, and she tells the eighties story to him in a flashback

Osiris-Rex
07-11-2017, 01:57 PM
Most likely it is fake news because nowhere are any actual sources listed. Until somebody like Patty Jenkins or Geoff Johns says it in an interview with a reliable news source, it's just somebodies fantasy scenario.

Jim Kelly
07-11-2017, 01:58 PM
I think if they do bring Pine back, they'll put out a fake story like he's going to play a distant relation of Steve Trevor. If it's the real Steve, they aren't going to tip their hand and they may try to keep it a spoiler for the movie.

There are a few ways I see that Pine could come back. I don't like the great great grandson angle, but for example if Dr. Psycho was in the movie, he's been known to create illusions and make himself look like someone else. So it would be dastardly if he made himself look like Diana's lost love. Or another angle is to have Diana go into the underworld of the dead where she would meet Steve and Antiope.

gwangung
07-11-2017, 02:36 PM
I think if they do bring Pine back, they'll put out a fake story like he's going to play a distant relation of Steve Trevor. If it's the real Steve, they aren't going to tip their hand and they may try to keep it a spoiler for the movie.

There are a few ways I see that Pine could come back. I don't like the great great grandson angle, but for example if Dr. Psycho was in the movie, he's been known to create illusions and make himself look like someone else. So it would be dastardly if he made himself look like Diana's lost love. Or another angle is to have Diana go into the underworld of the dead where she would meet Steve and Antiope.

Yeah, either of those two would work for me, because they honor the character choice made in the first movie.

KoriandrJean
07-11-2017, 04:56 PM
I'm not buying this. As others have already stated, its clearly pointed out at this point that between Wonder Woman and BvS, Diana has been largely inactive from a superhero point of view. Its Superman's sacrifice and the threat Batman was shown (Darkseid) to that inspires her to pick things back up. And her thanks to Bruce over the picture beautifully insinuate that between then and now, this is the only thing of Steve she's seen/had. Those touching narratives is lost if they suddenly say, oh, well, that was just hyperbole, she did have this one adventure in the 80s with a revived Steve.... :p

I have no doubt Chris Pine is returning as Steve Trevor, don't get me wrong, but it'll be in a present day tale.

That's what I'm hoping will happen, too. Perhaps, even gaining super-powers of his own in some way ... :cool:

Agent 86
07-11-2017, 07:34 PM
It sounds ridiculous to me. I can see the Cold War having some appeal, given current affairs, but it doesn't seem to offer much scope for grand adventures (unless I'm forgetting some cool and powerful Wonder Woman villains who are Russian) and I'm not sure how "happy' the ending will be, unless Diana thwarts some secret "world threatening" event.

As much as I liked Chris Pine as Steve Trevor (especially out of the bath), I don't want to see him return as Steve Trevor. And I definitely don't want to see him return as a doppelgänger descendant of Steve Trevor. That's ridiculous. Diana's primary motivation in DoJ was retrieving a photo of her long lost love. That was reiterated by the bookend scenes in Wonder Woman. Why would she be so focused on Steve Trevor if she'd been having adventures (both platonic and sexy) with his coincidentally identical grandson / great nephew / whatever in the 1980s?

Jim Kelly
07-11-2017, 07:53 PM
I can understand why Warner would want to keep Chris Pine in their roster, but it's hard to see how they could use him in another Wonder Woman movie without it being a cop-out.

He would make a good Hal Jordan, but that might be a hard sell for movie audiences. I guess if Nicholas Cage can look like a Civil War solidier, then Hal Jordan could look like a guy that lived a hundred years ago.

Chris Evans was able to go from being Johnny Storm to Steve Rogers. Of course, he was going from Fox to Marvel Studios--but they're both Marvel Comics characters.

HandofPrometheus
07-11-2017, 08:23 PM
So far The Wrap and Screenrant report this rumor. Hopefully this isn't true. Don't want another period piece. All her characters would be stuck into the past.

Jim Kelly
07-13-2017, 04:32 PM
Everywhere I look, the media keep reporting this as if it's true and it's going to happen. I never see any discussion that questions the rumour.

It's also frustrating, because WONDER WOMAN is still in the theatres and any people who haven't seen that movie are clicking on this news item and having that movie's ending spoiled for them.

Awonder
07-13-2017, 09:41 PM
Everywhere I look, the media keep reporting this as if it's true and it's going to happen. I never see any discussion that questions the rumour.

It's also frustrating, because WONDER WOMAN is still in the theatres and any people who haven't seen that movie are clicking on this news item and having that movie's ending spoiled for them.

Yeah, so much of modern "news" is just click-bait. They don't care about accuracy, just get those clicks. It's bad enough that one site will report something like this, but does no one else have a contact or two in Hollywoood? Do they even try to verify anymore?

I don't like headlines that spoil movies and such, but if someone does click on it, then part of the blame is on them.

Troian
07-13-2017, 09:45 PM
Makes no sense. At the end of "Batman v Superman" she tells Bruce that she "walked away from this a hundred years ago." The WW movie opens with her saying "I used to want to save the world." Makes it clear (to me at least) that she wasn't very active after WWI until the Doomsday battle in "BvS." Was she lying?
I enjoyed Chris Pine as Steve Trevor. His performance was so good that I was genuinely bummed to see him die. I'm of two minds there. On one hand it would be fun to have him back and I've said they could go the route the TV Show took and have him play a great-grandson or something. Or he can be a Steve from another earth if they decide to incorporate the multi-verse into the movies. Or he could be the original Steve thrown forward through time or something. Who knows? But, his death was a pivotal moment in the first movie that bringing him back may remove its impact. We'll see.

I remembered it was discussed here/a user said something along the lines that while making the WW film they realized that Diana would never give up on humanity or something.

What she said can be retconned or given some over the top cop out reason on what she was "actually" trying to say.

Titan Theo
07-14-2017, 01:37 AM
I can see WW's mission during the cold war to try to prevent a nuclear disaster; pretty much what she did with her encounter with Ares during Perez's Arc...but, of course, for that to happen, Ares needs to return...or just maybe there's another one in the card...

Eris, the Goddess of Discord; in some versions, she's not the daughter of Ares but a primordial goddess, which could make her just as powerful enemy.

As for Steve returning, I think they have an ace there on how to have him return (as well as Etta and even her entire rag tag crew)...they have a Native god with them who could have potentially rescued Steve and he could have kept Etta and the rest alive but some magical ritual; the only issue would be why not reveal it to Diana earlier?