Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Wonder Woman#29 Discussion and Spoilers

spoilers:
    So they actually addressed the fact Etta had reconciled with Diana following the conclusion of Rucka's run. Turns out Etta's distrust of Diana placed her in "bad company" so she chose to side with her friend again than risk poisoning their relationship any further.

Steve makes an appearance, looking more like Chris Pine, but he doesn't do much other than arrive late to the battle just as Diana and Etta have cleaned up, though he does get to have a nice snog with Diana.

Despite all of the cute moments between the two, the whole issue seems like it's trying to throw him under the bus just a little. Diana even claims at one point Steve wouldn't have any empathy with her decision to seek the council of the Patrons in prayer because he had friends and loved ones in his own life while Diana had nowhere to turn to in her young life. Steve is also forbidden from going on Diana's next mission so he opts to cook dinner for her back home.

There's a brief flashback to Diana's childhood where her mother tells her she'll never be dissapointed in her and will always love her. Pretty cute, though felt a bit redundant.
    end of spoilers

Always Rakzo

Thought this was... okay? Compared to the last issue, at least this one offered a decent amount of content if we're speaking of characterization and plot progression. The thing is that none of that is particularly impressive and in many ways is highly forgettable.

Miranda's art was good in some spots but the storytelling suffered a bit.

Incredible Member

This is really bland.

Rebirth Wonder Woman is...depressing. I don't expect everything to be perfect. Of course stories/characters need flaws, ups and downs, drama etc...but this is just pushing it. She's just sad, a bit whiny, seems to have low confidence and insecure. Can't genuinely feel a connection between her and her supporting cast. Etta needs more development or another revamp or something. I really do not like her character design at all. Steve is just there for the love interest check box to be marked but it's really not genuine. She says she isn't good with romance and it's written as so, very stiff and sorta pathetic. Then now instead of trying to talk and open up she ops to face things on her own. She suppose to have love of a friend and this "true love" but is still completely alone within her feelings and everything else. Sad.

While I'm glad they addressed the Etta/Diana stuff, it seemed to be pretty quickly glossed over. Whereas Rucka definitely set up some tension between the two of them at the end of his run.

I didn't mind a more passive, doting Steve, but too much of it would definitely get old fast.

The five villains Wonder Woman fought were... pretty forgettable. As I've said before, Cat Eye is still my favorite as she is Egyptian-themed (team up with Cheetah!). I hate that codename, though.

I did like Diana's interior monologue about how people talk about her body.

This short run hasn't been terrible, but definitely nothing remarkable.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LoveStar View Post
    Steve is just there for the love interest check box to be marked but it's really not genuine.
    Explain how.

And Steve IS her most iconic and truest love. No quote marks required (but it's expected of you, we all know where your 'shipping allegiance lies anyway...you know, the one Diana herself admitted WASN'T genuine)
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 08-30-2017 at 07:26 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Explain how.

And Steve IS her most iconic and truest love. No quote marks required (but it's expected of you, we all know where your 'shipping allegiance lies anyway)
    Steve being iconic...that's debatable and "truest" love... I mean the first guy she ever met isn't true love. A romance takes more than random showing up for stiff kisses here and there. This isn't Disney. His placement in this issue wasn't needed sense it's written that she couldn't talk to him and just brushed it off. The emotional scenes here doesn't give emotion. Diana is still lonely and sad. She has no one to talk to and no one to understand her. If this was actually true love, that wouldn't be because the first person she should go to to talk and the person that should understand her is her romanctic partner. That's not being shown here.

Btw, I'm not blinded by my "shipping" preference. I'm not here for pettiness. My criticism is of the actual plot/charater development problems.
    Last edited by LoveStar; 08-30-2017 at 07:26 AM.

Always Rakzo

There's no doubt that Steve has been used merely as a love interest since Rebirth started. This could have been more tolerable if he would have gotten a bit more personality beyond his own fixation with Diana but sadly that hasn't happened yet which makes me miss his appearances in Justice League and Forever Evil: ARGUS.

I think he should return to be the Director of ARGUS, that's when he had more purpose than just being Diana's boyfriend.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    There's no doubt that Steve has been used merely as a love interest since Rebirth started. This could have been more tolerable if he would have gotten a bit more personality beyond his own fixation with Diana but sadly that hasn't happened yet which makes me miss his appearances in Justice League and Forever Evil: ARGUS.

I think he should return to be the Director of ARGUS, that's when he had more purpose than just being Diana's boyfriend.
    There's nothing inherently wrong with just being Diana's boyfriend. Steve's one-shot demonstrated he can step up in his own day to day life.

Now, of course I'd wish for more of that in the actual comic, maybe for the middle portion of this issue would have sufficed rather than the domestic "stay here" remarks...I was actually kind of hoping he'd disobey orders despite promising to wait for Diana at home (maybe that's still to come for all I know), but I still liked what I got from the two. Little argument, some character flaws from Diana in regards to their relationship, it's good stuff. Not earth-shatteringly dramatic, but nice on a domestic front.

I'm a boring young man.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 08-30-2017 at 07:46 AM.

I like that she is out there doing stuff now instead of just looking for home. The art was far better than the two part attack at the wedding/aftermath issue.

This branch of the government who is after her seems like it could be connected to Kate Kanes dad but I doubt it.

The dialogue about her body was a little pointed. I'm sure it went right over the heads of those it was directed at though.

And yeah that was totally Chris Pine as Steve Trevor
    Last edited by Gaelforce; 08-30-2017 at 02:45 PM. Reason: language, please
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post

My thoughts are that Steve is not just a love interest, but has to be an integral part of Wonder Woman's themes.

Thesis: Diana comes to man's world to introduce an alternative to aggression, war and violence.

Antithesis: Steve is a trained military man, the embodiment of man's world and it's innate propensity to use violence to solve disputes.

Synthesis: Diana and Steve together find ways to grow together, both intimately, and thematically, as forces for change in the world.

This is really bland.

Rebirth Wonder Woman is...depressing. I don't expect everything to be perfect. Of course stories/characters need flaws, ups and downs, drama etc...but this is just pushing it. She's just sad, a bit whiny, seems to have low confidence and insecure. Can't genuinely feel a connection between her and her supporting cast. Etta needs more development or another revamp or something. I really do not like her character design at all. Steve is just there for the love interest check box to be marked but it's really not genuine. She says she isn't good with romance and it's written as so, very stiff and sorta pathetic. Then now instead of trying to talk and open up she ops to face things on her own. She suppose to have love of a friend and this "true love" but is still completely alone within her feelings and everything else. Sad.
    While I don't see Steve as much as a cipher as you do I mostly agree: This is really bland and I'm finding the writing to be very simplistic and juvenile. I want to support WW and all the Rebirth characters/titles that I'm hoping to continue enjoying but right after reading via Comixology I lamented the money spent wastefully instead of 'savoring the taste' of the story the way you would even a moderately tasty meal.

I'm hoping Robinson's run will be more to my liking.

Invincible Member

Steve being "just Diana's LI" is extra disappointing, and bad timing, since well there was just a hugely successful movie where he's BOTH her LI AND a cool, fun, competent character in his own right who gets to do impressive stuff as well. And there's even some cool "combo" scenes between them.

By comparison, this is just "eh."

Fantastic Member

Steve being iconic...that's debatable and "truest" love... I mean the first guy she ever met isn't true love. A romance takes more than random showing up for stiff kisses here and there. This isn't Disney. His placement in this issue wasn't needed sense it's written that she couldn't talk to him and just brushed it off. The emotional scenes here doesn't give emotion. Diana is still lonely and sad. She has no one to talk to and no one to understand her. If this was actually true love, that wouldn't be because the first person she should go to to talk and the person that should understand her is her romanctic partner. That's not being shown here.
    That sounds like a Disney idea of love, where love solves everything. Sometimes you have to make decisions by yourself. Steve respected that, and let her have her time. That's love.

Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar

They have a chance with Steve as a character for the first time in many decades thanks to the movie. Thus far through Rucka's run now this, its being very much wasted. He looks better visually here than he did in the previous run, but that's all that's accomplished. If writers still don't care to do anything of substance with him, he's going to fall into obscurity all over again despite his popularity in the film. And that would be unfortunate. Bear in mind, I'm not saying there is anything wrong whatsoever with the idea of a househusband. But in superhero fiction you're going to want to read about the guy who should be the main supporting character doing stuff a little more interesting than cooking dinner. There's got to be more than just that going on. If there's not, if Steve is going to perpetually just be this empty entity that's just there to welcome Wonder Woman home after her adventure, he'll be dropped again like a bad habit.

Still say this is a large reason why Steve should have been repackaged as a doctor, like they did in Odyssey. That was one really interesting thing to happen in that controversial storyline. Now Steve is not in a position where its like he's trying to keep up with Wonder Woman on the action end (a fight he'll always lose), as his job is much different. So easy to segue into scenes of Steve treating injured people after a super-villain attack or something like that rather intending him to be right in the thick of things as a super solider but ending up being anything but. But, alas.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-30-2017 at 11:58 AM.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
    That sounds like a Disney idea of love, where love solves everything. Sometimes you have to make decisions by yourself. Steve respected that, and let her have her time. That's love.
    Diana is making a lot of decisions on her own because she is feeling alone and still is alone. This entire time she has lost a lot without gaining much of anything. The first time she left, his reaction wasn't shown. She just left and said in the monologue he wouldn't understand but respects her "piety". I think that's would go for anyone, even Etta, so that's nothing defining. The final decision she made he went along with it and decided to cook dinner. There was no real emotion there. That's not how love should be written and the execution was just off.
    Last edited by LoveStar; 08-30-2017 at 12:17 PM.