Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 72
  1. #31

    Default

    I think the only Image books I'm even kinda reading anymore are Spawn and Savage Dragon. Delays and obvious "writing this comic so I can sell it as a TV show or movie" stories are a turnoff for me. I do also read Top Cow stuff, but for whatever reason I tend to classify them as separate from the rest of Image.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

  2. #32
    Immortal Darkness Black Urizen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Eternal Darkness
    Posts
    1

    Default

    I think much of Image's Fanbase was based on Spawn. Spawn is one of the greatest comic books of all time in my opinion, but Spawn's storytelling became diluted after Spawn #200, then #250. I'm a huge fan of issue #100 and the conclusion of Urizen and Malebolgia. I think there's more storyline they could have used, but the Spawn series went a different direction.

  3. #33
    Still winning!
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by son of booyah View Post
    Another post made me want to start this discussion.

    Enthusiasm for the Image slate, in a relative sense, is waning. There are a lot of good books, and sales aren't poor I don't think, but it used to be much more popping here as well as elsewhere - and the announcement of a new series doesn't seem to make anyone take note these days.

    This isn't to bash Image, they do a lot of great stuff and give a ton of creators a chance to shine. I'm more interested in constructive criticism.

    What used to work that isn't anymore?

    Is there something the company's doing wrong?

    And what can Image do to get back on the tip of people's tongues?

    I think, more than making the company succeed, comic fans need to make sure the business model they've been following succeeds. Because if we see Marvel and DC gobble more market share back, we're going to lose what foothold independent comics have earned in the bigger market. Thoughts?
    The announcement of a new series doesn't make anyone take note anymore? It's because people know there's a more than 95% chance the book will be delayed or abruptly cancelled without warning; there's a 4% chance the book will be cancelled or delayed with warning; and 1% chance it'll make it past 2 years (and I'm being generous with the 1%).

    What can Image do to get back on the tip of peoples' tongues? Put out comics that actually finish. Does a book need to be an ongoing series? What's wrong with 1 shots? Short story comics? Or miniseries? A completed story, regardless of length, will always be more appreciated than an incomplete story.

  4. #34
    Mighty Member Dark-Flux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,842

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JFP View Post
    The announcement of a new series doesn't make anyone take note anymore? It's because people know there's a more than 95% chance the book will be delayed or abruptly cancelled without warning; there's a 4% chance the book will be cancelled or delayed with warning; and 1% chance it'll make it past 2 years (and I'm being generous with the 1%).

    What can Image do to get back on the tip of peoples' tongues? Put out comics that actually finish. Does a book need to be an ongoing series? What's wrong with 1 shots? Short story comics? Or miniseries? A completed story, regardless of length, will always be more appreciated than an incomplete story.
    Source on all these hyperbolic claims?
    Currently Reading:
    The Incal by Jodorowsky & Moebius
    Monster by Naoki Urasawa

  5. #35
    Astonishing Member Joker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,734

    Default

    You know he doesn't have any, don't even bother.

  6. #36
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    466

    Default

    Many or maybe even most of my favorite titles are from Image, but it's hard to stay excited about a story line that is in "to be continued" limbo for so long that you forget what that story was or why you cared about it.

  7. #37
    Still winning!
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Source on all these hyperbolic claims?
    Where in the forum rules do I have to cite sources for my claims?

    Is it really hard for you to believe the reason why people are less enthusiastic about Image than ever before is because they are jaded over the fact that the majority of series will be canceled or delayed?

  8. #38
    Mighty Member Dark-Flux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,842

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JFP View Post
    Where in the forum rules do I have to cite sources for my claims?

    Is it really hard for you to believe the reason why people are less enthusiastic about Image than ever before is because they are jaded over the fact that the majority of series will be canceled or delayed?
    Youre just spouting bullshit and presenting it as fact.

    "The majority of series will be cancelled or delayed" , "1% chance itll make it past two years" - based on what? Youre just pulling random statistics out your ass with nothing to prove your point.

    You dont have to present evidence, but then nobody has any fucking reason to believe your drivel. Because you cant prove it.
    Currently Reading:
    The Incal by Jodorowsky & Moebius
    Monster by Naoki Urasawa

  9. #39
    Still winning!
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Youre just spouting bullshit and presenting it as fact.

    "The majority of series will be cancelled or delayed" , "1% chance itll make it past two years" - based on what? Youre just pulling random statistics out your ass with nothing to prove your point.

    You dont have to present evidence, but then nobody has any fucking reason to believe your drivel. Because you cant prove it.
    In the last 4 years, what percentage of Image Comics would you say has exceeded 2 years without any delays?

    You can go ahead and take your time. It's a tough question. I'm sure a high percentage of Image titles exceed 2 years without any delays, right?

  10. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Urizen View Post
    I think much of Image's Fanbase was based on Spawn. Spawn is one of the greatest comic books of all time in my opinion, but Spawn's storytelling became diluted after Spawn #200, then #250. I'm a huge fan of issue #100 and the conclusion of Urizen and Malebolgia. I think there's more storyline they could have used, but the Spawn series went a different direction.
    Spawn is actually outselling quite a few Marvel books according to Diamond. It's even outselling former Image darlings like The Wicked and the Divine when it comes to monthly numbers. I think actually coming out on time without delays is a big part of why Spawn is still a solid seller despite not being as "relevant" these days.

    But delays have always been a part of Image, pretty much from launch. Didn't Top Cow have to do a special guarantee for retailers in the 90s that basically promised they wouldn't be late?
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

  11. #41
    Mighty Member Dark-Flux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,842

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JFP View Post
    In the last 4 years, what percentage of Image Comics would you say has exceeded 2 years without any delays?

    You can go ahead and take your time. It's a tough question. I'm sure a high percentage of Image titles exceed 2 years without any delays, right?
    Its your hypothosis. Burden of proof lies on you.
    Currently Reading:
    The Incal by Jodorowsky & Moebius
    Monster by Naoki Urasawa

  12. #42
    Invincible Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    11,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JFP View Post
    In the last 4 years, what percentage of Image Comics would you say has exceeded 2 years without any delays?

    You can go ahead and take your time. It's a tough question. I'm sure a high percentage of Image titles exceed 2 years without any delays, right?
    Here's the thing...

    The question is only tough if you are going on the assumption that the plan the company had was "Each and every title the company puts out will be on a two year/one issue each month of those two years..." publishing schedule.

    The whole point is that the standard schedule I mentioned isn't something this company has to stick to.

  13. #43
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Does anyone know what happend to Orc Stain? Was it ever finished? I cant even remember how the last issue ended...

  14. #44
    Incredible Member FluffySheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    959

    Default

    I might be wrong here, but don't a lot of Image titles have a "planned hiatus" for a few months to let the creative team catch up and have some issues ready to go well before they are released? This isn't really a delay if an arc is finished, then there's a few months of nothing, then the new arc starts. I don't read a huge amount of Image titles as monthlies, so I might have this wrong.
    Currently Pulling: Batman/The Shadow, JLA, Black Hammer, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Go Go Power Rangers, ROM, Kill or Be Killed, Slots, Autumnlands, Babyteeth

    We came...we saw...we kicked it's ass!

  15. #45
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,481

    Default

    I don't really care about delays, myself. I'd much rather have a good quality book, that comes out late, than a book of lesser quality- on time. I can go without a comic book for a while, especially since sometimes creators need space to think/rethink their work. I value quality over quantity.

    The only downside is sometimes I forget after a while. I am not really into "pull lists" since I go to a couple different shops regularly (and Midtown usually has anything if I really can't find it elsewhere). Though, to make sure lesser known books are still being ordered, I may pull a few things from time to time.

    Image is still "where it's at", I just haven't been really invested in anything they've put out lately. Hopefully soon! DC also has YOUNG ANIMAL going right now, and that's where so much of my attention is.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 10-12-2017 at 11:44 AM.
    Follow your inner moonlight, do not hide the madness. -Ginsberg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •