Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27
  1. #16
    A Gentle Woman Mia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Corner Office
    Posts
    1,140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QuinnFillory View Post
    This recent article had me thinking about how female action heroes are portrayed in film and television:
    http://screenrant.com/thor-3-tessa-t...-male-writers/

    I don't know that I necessarily agree with her thoughts. I actually think that they are being less sexualized than they were a decade ago. But, that is just me. Thoughts?
    (Female person here)



    As has been stated men there are plenty of men in comic book movies who have taken off their shirts. In fact I can't think of one film that I have seen (with the exception of maybe the Keaton Batman films, thankfully) where the major hero has not stripped to his waist and given us a display of his pecs. No one wants to see a woman out of shape.

    And honestly given the way that Tessa behaved and was dressed in Westworld, she should be the last person yapping about sexualized women:



    The scene might have been inserted as fan service for women given the fact that WW is also a bordello aimed at male clients. But it was still gratuitous and unnecessary.
    "What are we forever seeking? Only ourselves. And when we find ourselves- when we know ourselves-through our gifts we can find each other. And find that place where we belong." -Queen Medusa.

  2. #17
    Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    But it was still gratuitous and unnecessary.
    Naked Tessa is never gratuitous lol

  3. #18
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,041

    Default

    presumably she's using the word "male" to describe the various unnamed authors of bad scripts that she's read. if they'd called it "Actress believes the word 'Badass' is over-used in Hollywood" it wouldn't have gotten as many people to read it. but if she's specifically slamming male writers... well, then you've got people hooked.

    my take-away from reading the interview really hinges on the second paragraph quoted. yeah, I realize that it's easy to fixate on the first one. but I believe the first paragraph is mostly set-up for the second one: the one where she specifically complains about writers using the word "badass".

    It’s terrible, because it doesn’t mean anything. It’s a dumb male writer’s way of saying, ‘Ah, uh, she’s like, she, uh, she’s tough.’ Then straight after that it’s like, ‘She’s badass, but she’s got a beauty about her. And she’s sexy. Unconsciously sexy.’”

    she's complaining about how utterly generic most female characters are in action movies. once you strip away the "badass", "beautiful", and "sexy" parts there frequently is nothing left that can be used to define the character with! and this bland character description could be hundreds of utterly forgettable characters.

    without a full transcript of the interview it's still a matter of interpretation, of course. it feels like there was more to this interview but they deliberately only included the most inflammatory quotes and ignored what was probably most of the set-up that lead to those quotes.

  4. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    (Female person here)



    As has been stated men there are plenty of men in comic book movies who have taken off their shirts. In fact I can't think of one film that I have seen (with the exception of maybe the Keaton Batman films, thankfully) where the major hero has not stripped to his waist and given us a display of his pecs. No one wants to see a woman out of shape.

    And honestly given the way that Tessa behaved and was dressed in Westworld, she should be the last person yapping about sexualized women:



    The scene might have been inserted as fan service for women given the fact that WW is also a bordello aimed at male clients. But it was still gratuitous and unnecessary.
    I doubt she had any say in how her character was written.

  5. #20
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I doubt she had any say in how her character was written.
    I'm sure she knew the deal befoare taking the role.

  6. #21
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,286

    Default

    Can she name the last action movie she saw where a female action hero was objectified? Cause I like her but this sounds like bs.

  7. #22
    Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    266

    Default

    But here's the thing though. People act like male action heroes are so well thought out. lol Outside of adaptations they're pretty shallow.

  8. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Za Waldo View Post
    I'm sure she knew the deal befoare taking the role.
    Doesn't negate my point in the slightest. If it weren't her it would have been someone else.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-12-2017 at 11:07 PM.

  9. #24
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Doesn't negate my point in the slightest. If it weren't her it would have been someone else.
    No, it totally negates your point. Your point seems to be some kind of, "well, even if she did have a problem, what can she do, she didn't write it, she just acted it" type thing. If she has some kind of problem with female characters being sexualized, she can just not do a role in which the character is sexualized. Also, stuff like nudity is in the contract, and actors can have some say in how the character they play is characterized.

    Who gives a shit if it's someone else? Maybe that someone else has zero problem with a character being sexualized, she on the other hand seems to have some problem with it.

    The interview is just such a weird one, mostly because men have been far more sexualized in superhero movies for a number of years now.

  10. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Za Waldo View Post
    No, it totally negates your point.
    How does it negate my point? Or hers for that matter? She’s not the first actress in Hollywood to complain about sexualisation while playing a character that was sexualized. If anything, it further proves she’s got a clue as to what she’s talking about.

    Quote Originally Posted by Za Waldo View Post
    Your point seems to be some kind of, "well, even if she did have a problem, what can she do, she didn't write it, she just acted it" type thing. If she has some kind of problem with female characters being sexualized, she can just not do a role in which the character is sexualized. Also, stuff like nudity is in the contract, and actors can have some say in how the character they play is characterized.
    Because it isn’t as if Hollywood doesn’t have a notorious history of getting women to do things they’d rather not do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Za Waldo View Post
    Who gives a shit if it's someone else? Maybe that someone else has zero problem with a character being sexualized, she on the other hand seems to have some problem with it.
    And maybe that person does have a problem with it but doesn’t want to speak out against it. She on the other hand does have a problem with it and is talking about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Za Waldo View Post
    The interview is just such a weird one, mostly because men have been far more sexualized in superhero movies for a number of years now.
    A handful of scenes in total of the three Chrises with their shirts off does not in anyway mean that the sexualisation ratio of men to women is equal.

  11. #26
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    How does it negate my point? Or hers for that matter? She’s not the first actress in Hollywood to complain about sexualisation while playing a character that was sexualized. If anything, it further proves she’s got a clue as to what she’s talking about.
    Yeah, she isn't the first hypocrite.

    Because it isn’t as if Hollywood doesn’t have a notorious history of getting women to do things they’d rather not do.
    People aren't being press ganged into movie and tv roles.

    And maybe that person does have a problem with it but doesn’t want to speak out against it. She on the other hand does have a problem with it and is talking about it.
    They don't, this hypothetical person doesn't have a problem with it.

    Then maybe she shouldn't take roles like that.

    A handful of scenes in total of the three Chrises with their shirts off does not in anyway mean that the sexualisation ratio of men to women is equal.
    I didn't say it was equal. I said men are more sexualized in superhero movies than women are now.

  12. #27
    Bitch, what? BBeeryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    In love with you.
    Posts
    865

    Default

    I have to agree. Dave Cockrum clearly created Storm to be the most powerful woman in comics and the most beautiful woman in comics and that has never translated over to her portrayals in film.
    The most POWERFUL woman in comics, and the most BEAUTIFUL woman in comics, The Bright Lady, Hadari Yao, Queen of Prophecy, The All-Goddess who Preserves the Balance of All Natural Things, Weather Witch, Ororo Komo Wakandas, Windrider, The Walker of Clouds, La Reine Storm, Ororo Iqadi T'Challa, The Rightful Queen of Wakanda has returned to the throne! All-Goddess be praised!


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •