Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default The Collected Edition you consider "breaking the bank" for

I love collected editions but I decided to stop chasing stuff that is OOP or otherwise unobtainable. That stuff I will just read digitally or whatever. However I really LOVE LOVE Infinite Crisis. Also I think the lead up and the tie ins really add to this series. The Absolute is nice but I would love the Omnibus. So for me I think about it but it seems to go for 250 - 400 online and I dont think i can justify the price.

What about everyone else?

My current white whales consist of:

Echo S/N HC Edition - There was a copy on CheapComics for the longest time which somebody bought a few days before i went to...
    The Borgias HC
    Umbrella Academy Deluxe Vol.1

Maybe the Girls Deluxe HC. Though I dont think that goes for craaaazy money. Yet.

I've done well these past few months in getting the Empowered Deluxe Vol.1 and Book of Death & Archer & Armstrong Vol.1 Deluxes.
    Gonna take a break for a bit :P
    Currently Reading:
    The Ballad of Halo Jones by Alan Moore & Ian Gibson
    Monster by Naoki Urasawa

Amazing Member

The Captain Britain Omnibus for Marvel and the Infinite Crisis Omnibus for DC.

I did break the bank last summer when I bought the complete set of the Cap by Brubaker Omnibus volumes. Although 4 and 5 were heavily discounted, 1 to 3 really hurt. I still feel I got the books for a really good price and it was well worth it.

Mighty Member

I rarely ever break my "over cover" rule. The few times i have I'm quickly reminded why it's not worth it. Everyone who owns these books thinks they should get top dollar, regardless of condition. I've been disappointed more often than not on the secondary market, so i try to get everything I'm interested in while it's in print. There's enough to read out there, but the temptation gets me every now and then.

Incredible Member

I paid top dollar for my SA Xmen Vol 1. The hardest pill to swallow for me was that before I went full on into OHCs I passed on it for cover at a lcs. In the end I wound up with a pristine copy of the DM cover whereas the one on the shelf was the Ross version.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I paid like $150 for the Rebellion's limited complete Zenith release (that sold out in like 48 hours). Grant Morrison can get me to shell out the big bucks.
    Thank you America for voting for change.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    I paid top dollar for my SA Xmen Vol 1. The hardest pill to swallow for me was that before I went full on into OHCs I passed on it for cover at a lcs. In the end I wound up with a pristine copy of the DM cover whereas the one on the shelf was the Ross version.
    I paid top dollar for this book as well but justified it because I made more than expected selling some other books. I later sold it for about what I paid.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I almost never pay above cover price for any book, but I did recently for the first Deluxe Editions of both Archer & Armstrong and Bloodshot. DC and Marvel books are far more likely to get reprints than the independent stuff, so that's how I justified it. Considering I get all of those Big 2 releases at 40-50% off anyway, I figure it all works out.

Currently my white whale list is empty!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Astonishing Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

This thread is kind of a reboot of a previous thread entitled "HCs that cost an arm and a leg and your soul" which you can find here

Anyway, I believe I've only paid just a wee bit over cover price for one book which was The Silver Surfer Omnibus and I don't regret it. It's one of my favourite Omnis and it was well OOP when I got into collecting Omnis proper six or so years ago.

The white whales that remain and are most important to me are:

Daredevil by Bendis Omnibus Vol. 1
    Immortal Iron Fist Omnibus
    Absolute JLA/Avengers Slipcase
    MMW Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 14 HC

I'm quite patient with keeping a lookout for OOP books. I recently scored Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 7 OHC in extremely good condition for well under cover price.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I paid like $150 for the Rebellion's limited complete Zenith release (that sold out in like 48 hours). Grant Morrison can get me to shell out the big bucks.
    Same here I already broke the bank on that one was much more then I would normally pay, but complete zenith in one hardcover was to much to pass up. I also payed right around the same amount for the Captain Britain Omnibus had the two hardcovers with the earlier work pretty cheap and needed to complete it with the Moore omni.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    This thread is kind of a reboot of a previous thread entitled "HCs that cost an arm and a leg and your soul" which you can find here

Anyway, I believe I've only paid just a wee bit over cover price for one book which was The Silver Surfer Omnibus and I don't regret it. It's one of my favourite Omnis and it was well OOP when I got into collecting Omnis proper six or so years ago.

The white whales that remain and are most important to me are:

Daredevil by Bendis Omnibus Vol. 1
    Immortal Iron Fist Omnibus
    Absolute JLA/Avengers Slipcase
    MMW Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 14 HC

I'm quite patient with keeping a lookout for OOP books. I recently scored Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 7 OHC in extremely good condition for well under cover price.
    I sometimes see the JLA/Avengers pop up for about $100, maybe a little more, so keep the faith and you'll get it.
    I have to believe at some point DD and Iron Fist get reprinted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    My current white whales consist of:

Echo S/N HC Edition - There was a copy on CheapComics for the longest time which somebody bought a few days before i went to...
    The Borgias HC
    Umbrella Academy Deluxe Vol.1

Maybe the Girls Deluxe HC. Though I dont think that goes for craaaazy money. Yet.

I've done well these past few months in getting the Empowered Deluxe Vol.1 and Book of Death & Archer & Armstrong Vol.1 Deluxes.
    Gonna take a break for a bit :P
    Didn't even know there was signed and numbered edition of Echo. How many copies have been produced?

Think you can still get Girls for decent money. Is it any good?

I never pay over cover, but if I did, it would be for the Infinite Crisis omnibus probably...although I would rather have smaller deluxe editions of the build-up and crossovers.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Didn't even know there was signed and numbered edition of Echo. How many copies have been produced
    I've seen your hauls the real question is how long until you have one!
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Didn't even know there was signed and numbered edition of Echo. How many copies have been produced?

Think you can still get Girls for decent money. Is it any good?
    425 copies iirc.
    Pretty much given up really, but ya never know.
    Currently Reading:
    The Ballad of Halo Jones by Alan Moore & Ian Gibson
    Monster by Naoki Urasawa