Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Incredible Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    I made a 90s themed team for fun. What do you think of it? I was thinking TEAM EXTREME!!!

Attachment 54493
    If you pitched this to Image during the 90s, they wouldn't accept, it. It's too anatomically correct.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 09-10-2017 at 10:01 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Yeah, in 1999 and 2000, DC did have a larger market share than Marvel.

Also, since you brought it up, I only recently got around to watching SFDebris' "Rise and Fall of the Comic Empire" series and the sheer lunacy of the behind the scenes at Marvel and Image is honestly fascinating. Highly recommend it for those who don't know all the details.
    Also recommend from me for both the raw humor of the creator, and the actually decent economic lessons to be learned!
    Co-Host of FranchiseWars podcast on ITunes with the Condor.
    Latest episode: Star Wars: Last Jedi--Who is Rey? https://pcr.apple.com/id1286433288

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    My main beef with the 90s is the oversexualization of female characters, sure, that has happened since the dawn of times, but the 90s early/00s was the worst on that aspect imo
    Which is a bit ironic because there was nothing sexy about those renditions.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    The 90s (at least the early parts of it) was a time of excess. And like any period of excess,it's extreme aesthetic choices tend to get ridiculed in retrospect (see 70's fashion for another example). Every male character looked like a steroid junky, and every female character was a stripper( literally in the case of one member of a certain image comics superteam). It's indicative of an era that was trying to shock you, and or deceive you with gimmicks, rather then tell good stories. There was even a lot of talk in some corners over whether writers were necessary (image mostly) and the final product really showed this contenpt for good plotting in some cases. Plots became incoherent and gimmicky.

But the main gripe of 90s to me is the art styles. It would be one thing if you were skimping on story, in service of amazing art. But I can generally say the early 90s was actually a low point for art. It got better in the later parts of the decade of course. But overall most 90s designs and redesigns don't hold up at all. I mean really...

"What's wrong with you Susan," indeed Reed, indeed.
    Though oddly, that's a silly costume but with not half bad art.

You're largely right but, again, this was much more Image and Marvel than DC. Most of DC's character kept their traditional outfits with slight modifications (Wally West's Flash suit, Superman's long hair) or when they were new designs, they didn't usually suffer from '90s excess (Electric Superman, Kyle Rayner). The only real exception was the post-Jurgens JLI but even then, it was more of a case of bad art than really terrible designs (robotic Booster gold excepted, of course) and even then it was mostly on Extreme Justice.

As for the bad art of the '90s, some DC books definitely had that problem but far more had great art from the likes of Mike Wieringo, Tony Harris, John McCrea, Barry Kitson, Dan Jurgens, Jerry Ordway, Graham Nolan, Tom Grummet, Norm Breyfogle, Mike Parobeck, Gary Frank, Oscar Jimenez and a whole lot more. The Image look did come in on occasion but, quite strangely, it was mostly on fringe books and c-list titles.

The New 52 designs were much closer to the '90s at Marvel and Image actually than anything at DC in the '90s. Go figure.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    The 90s (at least the early parts of it) was a time of excess. And like any period of excess,it's extreme aesthetic choices tend to get ridiculed in retrospect (see 70's fashion for another example). Every male character looked like a steroid junky, and every female character was a stripper( literally in the case of one member of a certain image comics superteam). It's indicative of an era that was trying to shock you, and or deceive you with gimmicks, rather then tell good stories. There was even a lot of talk in some corners over whether writers were necessary (image mostly) and the final product really showed this contenpt for good plotting in some cases. Plots became incoherent and gimmicky.

But the main gripe of 90s to me is the art styles. It would be one thing if you were skimping on story, in service of amazing art. But I can generally say the early 90s was actually a low point for art. It got better in the later parts of the decade of course. But overall most 90s designs and redesigns don't hold up at all. I mean really...

"What's wrong with you Susan," indeed Reed, indeed.
    Ironically that was the point of that costume Sue was being possessed by Malice again and that costume was one of the many hints and she immediately got a new costume once back in full control http://media.comicbook.com/uploads1/...90s-120444.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Which is a bit ironic because there was nothing sexy about those renditions.
    I still cringe at the Heroes Reborn Enchantress where her legs are about three-quarters of her body.
    "The definition of all ages is itís not just for little kids." - Greg Goldstein, President of IDW.
    Currently reading: Camelot 3000, Dreadstar, Omega Men

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Yeah, in 1999 and 2000, DC did have a larger market share than Marvel.

Also, since you brought it up, I only recently got around to watching SFDebris' "Rise and Fall of the Comic Empire" series and the sheer lunacy of the behind the scenes at Marvel and Image is honestly fascinating. Highly recommend it for those who don't know all the details.
    Sounds interesting, I'll check it out