Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Generations: The Iron (Review/SPOILERS)

It's time for Riri to have her moment with Tony Stark in their Generations one-shot, courtesy of Brian Michael Bendis and artist Marco Rudy. What does she gain from her journey? Quite a bit, actually.

*****SPOILERS*****

Unlike her other Legacy peers, Riri finds herself not in some past era but in the "far-flung" future. There she meets Tony Stark, alive and well and looking awfully good for someone who's 126 years old. Riri is touched to see Tony in the flesh again and Tony is equally touched to see his old protege. The big news for Riri is that Tony is now the Sorcerer Supreme (a development that Bendis introduced back in his X-Men run).

Tony takes Riri on a tour of what the future looks like and its more than a bit idyllic. The world of tomorrow is a much better place than the one of today, thanks in large part to Tony's efforts. As Riri says "You fixed the world." To which Tony it's more of a big "We" thing.

Along the way, Morgan LeFey attacks but Tony is prepared - thanks to his possession of the Shard of the Odinsdottir that Thor's daughter Torunn recommended he get.

Trying to figure out a way to get Riri back to her time, Tony takes Riri to the old Baxter Building where Franklin Richards (referred to by Tony as "the third best thing that Reed Richards and Sue Storm ever did") still resides. Franklin calls Riri "Doctor Williams" before questioning whether she should know that and he also informs Tony that the time machine isn't available (as Franklin says "...You know, Doctor, time travel was outlawed after that thing with what's-her-face.").

As they continue to wonder about how to get Riri home and why she's here in the first place, Tony surmises it's meant to inspire her. She doesn't know much about the particulars of the future but she has learned that it's a "pretty cool" place as Franklin says.

Riri then is whisked back to the present day where she promptly hits her workshop, focused on the future.

*****END SPOILERS*******

This was a really nice entry in the Generations issues. Rudy's painterly style is lovely and staging this story in the future give it a different vibe than the other Generation one-shots. I liked its inspirational message and the fact that the future Riri sees a is a hopeful one. Also that Tony is alive and well in that future and that his legacy is one of helping to fix the world. After all the present day troubles Tony has had of late, it's nice to see that his legacy isn't just a laundry list of his missteps. And also that he not only emerges from his coma but lives to be incredibly old. I loved the notion that he eventually becomes the Sorcerer Supreme back when Bendis first introduced it and I like that he keeps going back to it.

We also get a hint of some possible screw-up ahead for Riri as one character whispers to Tony "Does she know what she did?". That could also mean something good, I suppose, but typically people don't whisper that sort of thing if it's not about something bad. But we'll see.

All in all, a nice issue. Not my favorite of the Generations so far - that'd have to be either Phoenix, Hawkeye or Wolverine - but it's right up there near the top.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 09-07-2017 at 07:35 AM.

I'll just re-post what I put in the Iron Man appreciation page.

I read through the Irons Generation issue that came out today and...it's not great, but I won't say it's a spectacular failure. Plenty of Bendis's annoying character dialogue and over eagerness to really sell Riri, but nothing worse than his usual stuff. It has some nice art with a couple of jarring shifts between artist, I wouldn't say any of it is bad. I'm almost kind of glad we didn't actually get classic Tony and instead got Bendis's future version in this issue. After all, could you imagine Bendis writing Demon in the Bottle or Armor Wars era Tony? To sum it up, same feelings as the Wolverine Generations issue(only other one I read, skipped the rest) pretty much: a passable issue that should have just been a one off filler issue in-between arcs in the main book.

Of course Bendis needs to do something different from the others had to be the future and not the past and it worked made this issue unique in relation to the others.

Well it was a good story and is good to see a future that is peaceful and not apocalyptic to vary a little.

Fantastic Member

I enjoyed it and I am glad that Bendis decided to give us something different, the future instead of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    Of course Bendis needs to do something different from the others had to be the future and not the past and it worked made this issue unique in relation to the others.
    Technically, the Thor issue beat him to the punch in that regard since Jane went back even further into the past before Odinson officially became Thor.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Does this mean Dr strange is dead or gone in the future?
    The Self is the only existing reality

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    Does this mean Dr strange is dead or gone in the future?
    It might, but it doesn't have to be. Stephen Strange already lost his Sorcerer Supreme title twice, and he's on the edge of losing it again in his current run. Stephen Strange is immortal/doesn't age anymore (he can only dies if he's mortally wounded) and might very well live until that era, which should be around 2060. We also know that (probably after Tony Stark), Billy Kaplan will/might inherit the title as well.
    Last edited by Morsoth; 09-07-2017 at 11:59 AM.

This is the future or a parallel universe?
    #Dr.Wertham would be proud of you.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    This is the future or a parallel universe?
    As far as we know, the future. But of course, the future is never completely set in stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    I'll just re-post what I put in the Iron Man appreciation page.

I read through the Irons Generation issue that came out today and...it's not great, but I won't say it's a spectacular failure. Plenty of Bendis's annoying character dialogue and over eagerness to really sell Riri, but nothing worse than his usual stuff. It has some nice art with a couple of jarring shifts between artist, I wouldn't say any of it is bad. I'm almost kind of glad we didn't actually get classic Tony and instead got Bendis's future version in this issue. After all, could you imagine Bendis writing Demon in the Bottle or Armor Wars era Tony? To sum it up, same feelings as the Wolverine Generations issue(only other one I read, skipped the rest) pretty much: a passable issue that should have just been a one off filler issue in-between arcs in the main book.
    That's the way I feel about it and all of the Generations so far... just 'meh'.

Honestly, for me, the thing that bothered me about this issue is the same thing that bothers me in the solos, Bendis continually trying to sell Riri as this super spectacular person yet never actually shows her as anything impressive especially in the confines of the MU. And now we're supposed to buy that she's got endearment across the galaxy as a futurist in the future. It just feels like lazy shilling.
    Last edited by Kurolegacy; 09-07-2017 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morsoth View Post
    It might, but it doesn't have to be. Stephen Strange already lost his Sorcerer Supreme title twice, and he's on the edge of losing it again in his current run. Stephen Strange is immortal/doesn't age anymore (he can only dies if he's mortally wounded) and might very well live until that era, which should be around 2060. We also know that (probably after Tony Stark), Billy Kaplan will/might inherit the title as well.
    Isn't the immortality bit only applicable while he holds the title, though? I thought it was one of the benefits that came with the position of Sorcerer Supreme. Though, it is a benefit that will be wasted on Loki, who is already immortal, so... maybe Strange gets to keep it? I dunno

In any case, as with all the other 'futures' shown in Marvel, this one is unlikely to actually come to pass. I mean, they can't all be true.

Amazing Member

Story is ok but...to me it's false advertising....

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Honestly, for me, the thing that bothered me about this issue is the same thing that bothers me in the solos, Bendis continually trying to sell Riri as this super spectacular person yet never actually shows her as anything impressive especially in the confines of the MU. And now we're supposed to buy that she's got endearment across the galaxy as a futurist in the future. It just feels like lazy shilling.
    yep. Bendis somehow isnt able to lend his characters the traits necessary to sustain them although many must like them. I just felt that he suborned Alice in wonderland for this plot i.e. the magician mentor giving a magical tour of fantasy land to his wide eyed apprentice. It just didn't seem real or consequential. Wise Old Man Tony going zen mystic on riri seems as unlikely scenario as doom becoming iron man but what do we know? I wonder if tony coming back after his hiatus is going mystic immediately/over a period of time as the seeds of this transformation have bsen sowed in In. I.M.and giving up the mantle to doom or iron heart.
    The Self is the only existing reality

>Fill-In Artists
    >All Tell & No Show
    >Daughterfu Shilling
    >Muh Sorcerer Supreme Ideah
    >This Page

It was even worse than all the other Generations issues, which ranged from mediocre to bad. This one was just... awful. An obsession with his "OC Tony Stark" (when SS Stark already exists), a character he just doesn't get, a futuristic world that we learn nothing about other than "holy gee, this is all so didily-doo great, ain't it partner". Oh, plus the fact that apparently the Sorcerer Supreme became more Doom than Doom ever was, but uh, he's a hero so it's, uh,totes not the same! Plus the usual Daughterfu Shilling.

In short, just another awful Bendis product.
    Last edited by Techno_Knight; 09-07-2017 at 11:34 PM.
    Pulling:
    Marvel: Darth Vader, Doctor Strange, Moon Knight || DC: Batman, Deathstroke || Image: East Of West || Valiant: Ninjak, X-O Manowar

Trade Waiting:
    Image: Black Monday Murders, Seven To Eternity || DC: The Wild Storm, The Demon: Hell is Earth, Mr. Miracle || Marvel: Spirits of Vengeance