Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

The ending basically teases a lot of story potential for hydra Steve facing off against good Steve again eventually in the future.

I hope mark waid and marvel editorial as well won't be too afraid to do stories centered hydra Steve reappearing since this issue basically ended with a tease that hydra Steve most likely will escape and will probably want retribution against good Steve and the entire superhero community for his imprisonment, and it's honestly a story that I'd like to see at some point in the future since everything that happened in secret empire still happened the people who lost their lives are still dead and everyone remembers everything that happened and hydra Steve still remains...but I must admit I kinda feel like maybe marvel editorial and mark waid as well may be a bit reluctant to have hydra Steve be brought into a future storyline they may do.
    Last edited by Ianbarreilles; 09-13-2017 at 01:38 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    The ending basically teases a lot of story potential for hydra Steve facing off against good Steve again eventually in the future.

I hope mark waid and marvel editorial as well won't be too afraid to do stories centered hydra Steve reappearing since this issue basically ended with a tease that hydra Steve most likely will escape and will probably want retribution against good Steve and the entire superhero community for his imprisonment, and it's honestly a story that I'd like to see at some point in the future since everything that happened in secret empire still happened the people who lost their lives are still dead and everyone remembers everything that happened and hydra Steve still remains...but I must admit I kinda feel like maybe marvel editorial and mark waid as well may be a bit reluctant to have hydra Steve be brought into a future storyline they may do.
    HydraCap will definitely return. He's been too well set up as a villain to let him just stay off the board. Now that the Red Skull is dead, I'd say Stevil could be Steve's new #1 adversary.

But I do think they'll give him a break for a bit. Once Steve's new book is up and established for a bit, then we might see Stevil's return.

so who does the background checks for this secret prison? you'd think that they would weed out Hydra sympathizers (they made this same mistake with Osborn). kind of proves Stevil's point about accountability.
    Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    Because its fun, not as fun as the liberal meltdown but close
    11/10/2016

Astonishing Member

So no appearance by Madame Hydra.

So she's dead (as much as any comic character can be) and her existence has gone unexplained. Excellent plotting there, Spencer.

The only good thing about this issue is people will stop saying 'Wait and see' about the plotting. We've waited. And we've seen. There's more than enough information to form a valid opinion, thank you

This review sums up my thoughts on this...
    https://graphicpolicy.com/2017/09/13...mpire-omega-1/

Especially:

"This is it (hopefully), the final nail in the coffin that is writer Nick Spencer‘s uneven, poorly thought out, millimeter deep Marvel event, Secret Empire."

and

"The bad is how easily Spencer and Marvel feel like they’re brushing off the fact the majority of the country fell in line with Nazis (and in one image from Andrea Sorrentino it is impossible for Marvel to claim Hydra is anything but). A double page spread mixes the Nazi Luftwaffe with Hydra. We also get some simplistic worldviews of “I’m good and you’re bad” from each of the main characters. Finally Spencer again doesn’t explore his concepts enough, an issue that has plagued the event. The concept of “fake news” and worldviews is explored in discussion but what that means and its reflection on the real world is barely explored. It just comes down to “some believe the Nazi/Hydra world is the real one and will now fight harder.” It’s not explained why, how this will be perpetuated, or how it touches upon the misinformation that permeates our every day lives. It’s wide in ideas and thin in the exploration and common issue with a lot of Spencer’s work."

Quote Originally Posted by scotty 360 View Post
    well it answers some things, has what some were asking for, opens up some interesting stories and situations going forward. I loved it really good read and few emotional bits but you only get the big one I got if you don't read quick enough and jump to conclusion about the picture lol

my only problem was more of the crazy timeline, so much of the things would mean that the hdrya reign was years but its written that its much less.
    What during the event made you think it was lasting for years, as opposed to for a few weeks or months at most?

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    Does anyone really think it's a good idea to leave Hydra cap alive?

No prison in the world will hold him. But I have to admit he has a point and showed it even if it's a distorted truth yet it's a truth.

Just see what happens after all and you understand that people do not learn from their mistakes.

It's amazing that SE give more value to Emma and their efforts than the X-books.
    Well, they could extradite him to Nevada, where they have the death penalty, and since the SHIELD Act was a federal law, his self-pardon power (even if upheld in court) wouldn't apply to state charges. I don't buy that any law they'd pass would have given the head of SHIELD more power than POTUS, after all... probably couldn't do so without an amendment.

Send him to Clark County, give him a fair trial and swift lethal injection.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    So no appearance by Madame Hydra.

So she's dead (as much as any comic character can be) and her existence has gone unexplained. Excellent plotting there, Spencer.

The only good thing about this issue is people will stop saying 'Wait and see' about the plotting. We've waited. And we've seen. There's more than enough information to form a valid opinion, thank you
    Oh, yeah, lots of things left unexplained. No information on what Madame Hydra's real deal was, on how she got an Elder God like Chthon to heel, any of that. Precious little on how the rest of Hydra's leadership has fared, which one would think to be pretty important in light of the hints that a lot of people are still believers in AmeriHydra even after just a few weeks of HydraSteve's leadership and Faustus' PR campaigns.

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Oh, yeah, lots of things left unexplained. No information on what Madame Hydra's real deal was, on how she got an Elder God like Chthon to heel, any of that. Precious little on how the rest of Hydra's leadership has fared, which one would think to be pretty important in light of the hints that a lot of people are still believers in AmeriHydra even after just a few weeks of HydraSteve's leadership and Faustus' PR campaigns.
    but the people who just wanted the story to end should be happy. Spencer's moving on. silver lining.
    Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    Because its fun, not as fun as the liberal meltdown but close
    11/10/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    Does anyone really think it's a good idea to leave Hydra cap alive?

No prison in the world will hold him. But I have to admit he has a point and showed it even if it's a distorted truth yet it's a truth.

Just see what happens after all and you understand that people do not learn from their mistakes.

It's amazing that SE give more value to Emma and their efforts than the X-books.
    Honestly if you look at the Emma here and compare her to the Emma in the Blue tie-in, you'd think you were reading two different characters. Here she seemed somber at the fall of New Tian and mutants returning to their previous status quo and thinking of how history wouldn't see her as one who essentially showed that Professor X's dream could be a reality but rather a villain. Blue on the other hand, she didn't give a damn about the fall stating it fulfilled its purpose for her scheme with Miss Sinister and Bastion.

Astonishing Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I was planning on skipping this issue. I'm glad I didn't. This was actually a lot of fun. I think it did a good job exploring all the issues and the politics of it all, giving closure to what came before, and setting up stories to come. HydraCap as a recurring villain looks to be quite intriguing. I hope they don't overuse him.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Nice dénouement. For those interested Spencer did a closing interview over at the Word Ballon Podcast in which he discussed some of these points.

All in all a pretty solid book. It is quite amazing how rapidly this book was shipped from beginning to end. I wasn't always a fan of the art, but I like that Sorrentino got to do better layouts in this issue. Really like the way this shifts Hydra's philosophy And was pleasently surprised that Hydra Cap didn't get bumped off.

Those moaning about the "partial reset" will notice we didn't get anything of the sort. We had no reset. Everything happened. This way is better. We get to explore the fallout and ramifications in further books. I agree with many saying we don't want Hydra Steve being used for a while, but I do want Elisa to crop up in the near future. We certainly will not have seen the last of her, and her story is still very much being told.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Honestly if you look at the Emma here and compare her to the Emma in the Blue tie-in, you'd think you were reading two different characters. Here she seemed somber at the fall of New Tian and mutants returning to their previous status quo and thinking of how history wouldn't see her as one who essentially showed that Professor X's dream could be a reality but rather a villain. Blue on the other hand, she didn't give a damn about the fall stating it fulfilled its purpose for her scheme with Miss Sinister and Bastion.
    Emma as a villain is something decided by the editors of the mutant comics. The SE writer has no reason to follow these orders since he does not respond to them which is why she look like different characters in each story.

What happened in IvX over Emma was ridiculous but the fans and anyone who understands the character knows she hates Sentinels to use these killer machines even for personal revenge.

HydraCap mentioned that nothing he did was really illegal because the power was given to him, but he did straight up murder a few people before getting in power, and was largely responsible for Bruce Banner's death.
    Hell he can be counted as an accomplice to a bunch of crimes Hydra commited before he took control.

Loved this issue. That Beast and Emma scene. Maybe Spencer should write an X-book