Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 71
  1. #16
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,782

    Default

    What should her new name be? I agree with dropping the Power Girl name since she should stand on her own without the name baggage.

  2. #17
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Why so ? Peoples may not like New 52 TT or even Rebirth Deathstroke, but Tanya has made this nickname her own. Either D.C. should when (if?) they bring back Karen give her a new nickname like Captain Marvel at Marvel (establishing a Kamala Mhan - Carol Danvers kind of relation) or simply let the two operate with the same nickname. If D.C. has two Flashes (even if one isn't really well used so far, and hopefully it'll change), they can have two Power Girls.
    How? She like many POC at Dc can not earn anything if it's a battle to get them used in books.

    You don't get a title just by having it given to you and everyone is suppose to accept it. Like at Marvel someone has to use you beyond background and plot device duty that seems to run wild around here.

    If that is her name-lets see a mini to prove it.

  3. #18
    Incredible Member kurenai24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Essex, MD
    Posts
    998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    She hasn't come even remotely close to making it her own. It was and remains now completely and totally unearned and completely out of the blue. Karen Starr is still Power Girl in the minds of the majority of fandom, and its not even close. Wally earned the title of Flash over time, and only got the opportunity because Barry's version became unpopular and bland once upon a time. Karen is not unpopular in the slightest bit. She lost her title not because she as a character fell out of favor and the concept needed a new direction, but to be politically correct. And that's a wrong-headed approach to creating diversity in the lore.
    Does anybody else feel yucky every time the term "politically correct" is used to describe minority characters, it just furthers 'others' minority characters.

    As for the bolded, there is no wrong way to add diversity, you just happen to like a certain way.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 09-10-2017 at 06:40 PM.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

    ~~

    Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.


    ~~

    Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

  4. #19
    Incredible Member kurenai24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Essex, MD
    Posts
    998

    Default

    To answer the title of this thread, didn't the superverse just shit on Kon-el, why would I think they treat Tanya right... so quite frankly I think she's fine where she is.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 09-09-2017 at 07:10 PM.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

    ~~

    Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.


    ~~

    Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

  5. #20
    Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Does anybody else feel yucky every time the term "politically correct" is used to describe minority characters it just further others minority characters.

    As for the bolded, there is no wrong way to add diversity, you just happen to like a certain way.
    No, its just a term, there's nothing yucky about it. In this case I use it in a negative context, but this case is just a negative situation. It isn't always. Lots of other situations when to be politically correct is a very positive thing.

    And yes there is a wrong way to add diversity, notably when other beloved characters are removed to accommodate them. These new characters should be additions, not replacements. It only hurts both characters in the end. In this case, Karen is MIA and she has no reason to be, and Tanya can't grow and develop as an original character because she was lazily stuck with an already existing hero's identity, and on top of that it makes her immediately resented.

    What makes this even more amazing is that DC does crap like this (though admittedly not to the extent Marvel does it), when they already have, sitting in the barn doing nothing, an extensive cast of good, creative, original, mostly African-American superheroes in the Milestone characters.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-09-2017 at 08:11 PM.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

  6. #21
    Taqutio Vice Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Nope. Change her name and really let her take off and be her own character. She's not really Power Girl, honestly that never should have even been seen as a legacy.

    She has nothing really to do with the Superman family, Krypton or the like. Her connection to the original Power Girl and gaining her powers was pretty tangential. There's not enough interest currently for a solo book starring Tanya, but giving her a new name and developing her in a team book (or as a supporting role) will be for the best. Especially if they bring Kara Zor-L back with the JSA, though it'd be cool if those two were friends and teamed up from time to time. Hell, she's a young hero. Have her mentor under Power Girl and some of the other JSA members when it relaunches. Her powers aren't particularly unique or inspired, but Tanya's got a cool design and can work if given the chance to be her own character.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    And yes there is a wrong way to add diversity, notably when other beloved characters are removed to accommodate them. These new characters should be additions, not replacements. It only hurts both characters in the end. In this case, Karen is MIA and she has no reason to be, and Tanya can't grow and develop as an original character because she was lazily stuck with an already existing hero's identity, and on top of that it makes her immediately resented.

    What makes this even more amazing is that DC does crap like this (though admittedly not to the extent Marvel does it), when they already have, sitting in the barn doing nothing, an extensive cast of good, creative, original, mostly African-American superheroes in the Milestone characters.
    Gonna go ahead and agree here to a point, though I'll also urge caution because addition also leads to four Robins and six Earth Green Lanterns. There's a fine line, but if you're going to replace a character with a legacy (regardless of ethnicity, orientation or sex), there should be a pretty solid reason for it happening.

    I genuinely loved Ted, but Jaime has worked as Blue Beetle. His own character, unique spin on it, Ted's vacating the identity served a pretty substantial purpose and created a lot of stories. The same goes for Vic Sage as The Question. Each were traditionally white males passing an identity to minority characters (both hispanic, Jaime a teenage boy and Renee a lesbian woman). Both worked and were very interesting additions in their own right to said legacies. Karen just stopped being Power Girl because... Earth-2 I guess? There was no reason for it.
    Last edited by Robanker; 09-10-2017 at 05:52 AM.

  7. #22
    Notorious M.O.S. Kuwagaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,998

    Default

    Monica Rambeau was a Marvel character who had the same struggle. People fought against her gaining the Captain Marvel title, saying she didn't earn it. But it's not a moniker being put to any good use. Power Girl is only slightly less obscure than Manhunter.

    As a Super fan... I've never actually cared about PG in the slightest. Half the time she's not even related to Superman. Tanya coming along and taking the name with none of the baggage is probably the closest I've come to being a fan (well, I thought Karen's series from the period before New 52 was pretty good) but it's not like this franchise needs another teen hero. So I wouldn't jam her in, let her stay with Slade.

  8. #23
    Astonishing Member DragonPiece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,432

    Default

    I don't see why they can't go the marvel route and have both Karen and the new girl be named power girl

  9. #24
    Taqutio Vice Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I don't see why they can't go the marvel route and have both Karen and the new girl be named power girl
    They're kind of doing it right now with Barry/Wally and the GLs, but I think it's more because the power set also isn't really the same with the two Power Girls.

  10. #25
    Hi-Fi Fight Club Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Vinyl Mayhem
    Posts
    2,889

    Default

    If someone has a vision for her, then maybe.

    Right now I'm catching up on Deathstroke, and am curious to see how Priest writes her.

    Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Does anybody else feel yucky every time the term "politically correct" is used to describe minority characters it just further others minority characters.
    Absolutely.

    Nearly every time someone uses phrases and terms like "Politically correct", "SJW", and "Forced diversity", that's an indication that they have nothing of substance to add to conversations about diversity.

    Such phrases have no place in nuanced discussions about diversity in media.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 09-10-2017 at 08:49 AM.
    Creativity without constraint comes with responsibility. We do not make art in a vacuum isolated from sociopolitical context - RG

  11. #26
    Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,004

    Default

    I disagree. I used one of the supposed "hands-off" words and my point, whether one agrees with it or not, had plenty of substance and contributed to the conversation.

    Its always about context. If I'd have said "every politically correct person is a dumb sissy liberal", the context of that is nothing but a mean-spirited, completely inappropriate attack. My use of the word was in a negative context but was not an attack. Outright restricting language only results in soft language, and I'd submit we've done enough damage to the English language that way as it is.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-10-2017 at 09:23 AM.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

  12. #27
    Heir of Batman adrikito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    3,758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    What for? Just because she took up the moniker "Power Girl"? She has nothing to do with Krypton, Metropolis, or any of the other Superman characters as is basically just "Power Girl" in name only. For that reason alone, I wish they would have just given her a different name.
    This is the reason because this is impossible

  13. #28
    Legendary Member daBronzeBomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Usually at the End of Time
    Posts
    2,967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Only if the actual Power Girl comes along with her. I'd gladly follow the stories of Tanya if they stopped trying to convince me she's Power Girl.
    This would be the ideal solution. Karen is a full grown-ass woman. "Power Woman" should be Karen's upgraded codename.

    And Tanya 's otherwise utter lack of a connection is a PLUS to me: no extra baggage. I think she'd fit in great living in Metropolis, where the crazy weird is just Tuesday.

  14. #29
    Astonishing Member Francisco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,019

    Default

    to be part of the superverse or the superfamily there's no need to be a kryptonian or to have a connection with krypton.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

  15. #30
    Psionic Superman stephens2177's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    to be part of the superverse or the superfamily there's no need to be a kryptonian or to have a connection with krypton.
    Tell that to kon and Linda,oh right you can't
    #BRINGBACKKON

    -Don't mess with the "S"

    -kon is the human facsimile of superman

    -kon-el is the human Superman,made by humans,for humanity

    Kon-el appreciation thread
    http://community.comicbookresources....l-Appreciation!
    Young Justice (comic and TV) appreciation thread
    http://community.comicbookresources....c-and-tv-show)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •