Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    The MCU Hope is old enough to be involved with Scott Lang so synergy can't be a factor.
    They literally admitted in an interview that they were spurred on to create a similar character to Hope because of the movie.

Editor Tom Brevoort and I both have a great love for the original Wasp, Janet van Dyne, and in the wake of the ďAnt-ManĒ movie (which was great), Tom suggested there might be something to introducing someone who was a nod to that filmís Hope van Dyne without in any way minimizing Janetís role in the Marvel Universe.
    http://www.cbr.com/avengers-waid-exp...prison-breaks/

Astonishing Member

They could have created one just as easily as they created Nadia. There's no excuse.
    I'm just saying there are other kinds of synergy. In this case Marvel was going through a period where they needed "smart, spunky young non-mutant girl" characters for its push into the YA/Scholastic market. So Nadia was the type of character they were looking for and Hope wasn't.

Incredible Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

It's not just a Wasp thing, if you think about it. I mean, we also have an Ant-Man (Scott Lang), a Black Ant (Eric O'Grady LMD), a Giant-Man (Raz Malhotra), a Yellowjacket (Darren Cross), a recently returned but still underused Goliath (Tom Foster). All of those have appeared in comics ever since the Ant-Man movie in 2015. And I'm sure when Hank returns, he'll probably take on a similar identity as well. It seems like Marvel just likes to milk Pym-particle-using characters.

And it should be noted that Cassie as Stinger is not ''the same'' as the other Wasps, because she also has the ability to control and communicate with thousands of different insect species (not just ants), so she actually feels more like a combination of both Ant-Man and the Wasp with a little twist, and I love that. Now all she needs to do is use her size-increasing powers more to feel like she is a combination of Ant-Man, Wasp AND Giant-Man. The ultimate Pym particle user!

My guess is that Nadia is somehow better suited to appeal to Marvel's current target demographic. They could have used Cassie, and I wish they would have, but I don't think she's diverse enough in Marvel's eyes.
    I fail to see how Nadia is more diverse than Cassie. Both are common, white teenage girls. Sure, you could argue that Nadia has the whole foreigner factor going on for her, but let's be real, the whole russian background feels forced. It was more like a convenient plot point to explain how Hank could've had a daughter that wasn't on anyone's radar for so long than to actually push a diverse, international hero. Everyone just writes Nadia like any other american teenage character. She doesn't act like a russian person who was raised on the Red Room at all. Also, Kate Bishop, who became a hero around the same time Cassie did, also got a bigger push recently, and she's also just a common white girl. So, yeah, I don't see how ''diversity'' plays any part into that. Mark Waid himself said he created Nadia because of movie synergy, and I'm inclined to believe that's the entire reason why she got a push in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I'd rather have Cassie taken on the role that Nadia is currently taking on
    This. I mean, I don't have anything against Nadia and now that she exists they might as well use her, but if they just really wanted a teenage girl who's the daughter of an Ant-Man, who wanted to follow on the footsteps of her father AND who could be a nod to a movie character, Cassie was RIGHT THERE.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 09-08-2017 at 01:06 PM.

Comics

Nadia had the lead for the past year but she failed so hard that it's inevitable Janet is once again the most prominent Wasp in the comics.

Movies

No doubt Hope takes the lead here but Janet will for sure have a big presence with Pfeiffer.

Merchandise

So far, it's all about Janet. I'm sure Hope will have more merchandise than Janet soon. But Janet will still get good amount.

Marketing

It appears Hope has this category all to herself. Marvel markets "Wasp" basing the brand on Hope.

Gaming

It's bene purely Janet so far. Hope will step up soon I'm sure. Nadia has no presence at all. It's obvious Marvel gave up on her.

Just don't let Hank Pym go back to being The Wasp.

Nadia seemed completely unnecessary and redundant to me. There was no need for another Wasp.
    CBR's Age of Marvels and DC New Dawn September 2017 - Fan Made Solicit Games, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Quote Originally Posted by a0040pc View Post
    I've just been thinking and I'm wondering why there are so many characters right now who basically have Wasp powers. I'll run through the list for you...

1. Janet Van Dyne (the original)

2. Nadia Pym/Van Dyne (All New Wasp)

3. Hope Van Dyne (MCU Wasp)

4. Cassie Lang (Stinger)

There, we have four characters who are basically the same as one another and I'm just wondering... why? I know that Hope isn't in the regular Marvel Universe but she's being used on TV and in films. I was hoping for more variety like maybe one of them primarily growing in size rather than just shrinking and growing wasp wings. Maybe Cassie can go back to being Stature or Nadia becoming Giant-Girl would be an idea there. At least then there would be more variety.

What do you think?
    I question the point in adding hope into this while acknowledging that she's not in the mainstream MU and just in the films and shows.

Cassie was Stinger in MC2. Making her Stinger in the 616 universe seemed like a nice shout-out to Tom DeFalco and co.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Well they did reference to that back in Chaos War, though only for a quick panel. Sucks that Hercules completely reversed the events of the story since she was one of the Avengers who survived their Chaos War mini.
    Swordsman was the other one. Love both characters, and it seems such a waste to have brought them back and then not use them.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Swordsman was the other one. Love both characters, and it seems such a waste to have brought them back and then not use them.
    If I remember right the writer did want to keep Yellowjacket and Swordsman around after Chaos War along with Alpha Flight, but Brevorrt is the one who vetoed that idea because he didn't think there was a need for them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    I kind of liked that they flew off into the sunset and were left in kind of in a Schrodinger's cat place, neither confirmed as alive again or still dead, until some later writer came along and 'opened the box' and confirmed their status one way or the other. That's about as close to a happy ending as characters like Rita and Jacques are likely to get. (If they did get brought back officially, someone would have probably used them as the next pointless event death like Bill Foster or Rhodey.)

Clearly to capitalize and hype the upcoming movie.

I preferred Cassie as Stature, personally. As for the new Wasp (Nadia) while she was totally unnecessary, she probably could have benefited from having a more serious solo book, aimed at the general readership instead of what we got. Her wanting to go look for her missing dad, or continue his work, would have been better that what we got.

And before someone tells me something along the lines of "well, she didn't know him after all, so why would she have done that"... Nobody said something like that while reading Harry Potter. He never knew his parents, yet he still thrived to avenge them and continue their work fighting against the Dark Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Just don't let Hank Pym go back to being The Wasp.

Why not? I thought he was cool

But we already have too many Wasps.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Comics

Nadia had the lead for the past year but she failed so hard that it's inevitable Janet is once again the most prominent Wasp in the comics.

Movies

No doubt Hope takes the lead here but Janet will for sure have a big presence with Pfeiffer.

Merchandise

So far, it's all about Janet. I'm sure Hope will have more merchandise than Janet soon. But Janet will still get good amount.

Marketing

It appears Hope has this category all to herself. Marvel markets "Wasp" basing the brand on Hope.

Gaming

It's bene purely Janet so far. Hope will step up soon I'm sure. Nadia has no presence at all. It's obvious Marvel gave up on her.
    Avengers Academy should add Nadia. I can imagine that version of Janet, who would be the same age, as feeling that the Russian newcomer has copied her niche. Jan could also be jealous of Nadia, who would be treated as a teacher's pet because Hank is part of the faculty. That game does already have Cassie (explained as time travel, since Scott is a teenager himself), who uses both her Stinger and Stature abilities and costumes, and therefore isn't as much of a Janet copycat as Nadia would be.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by a0040pc View Post
    I've just been thinking and I'm wondering why there are so many characters right now who basically have Wasp powers. I'll run through the list for you...

1. Janet Van Dyne (the original)

2. Nadia Pym/Van Dyne (All New Wasp)

3. Hope Van Dyne (MCU Wasp)

4. Cassie Lang (Stinger)

There, we have four characters who are basically the same as one another and I'm just wondering... why? I know that Hope isn't in the regular Marvel Universe but she's being used on TV and in films. I was hoping for more variety like maybe one of them primarily growing in size rather than just shrinking and growing wasp wings. Maybe Cassie can go back to being Stature or Nadia becoming Giant-Girl would be an idea there. At least then there would be more variety.

What do you think?
    May as well apply the same question to several heroes

Why so many Iron Man types?
    Tony Stark, War Machine, Guardsman, Titanium Man, Crimson Dynamo, Iron man 2020, Beetle, Mach I>V, Iron Heart, Iron Spider, Iron Lad, Mauler, Detroit Steel, Rescue ect.

Or Thor Types?
    Thor (Odinson), Thor (Jane Foster), Beta Ray Bill, Thunder Strike, Thor Girl. War Thor, ect.

Or Captain America types?
    Captain America (Steve Rogers), Hydra Cap, Sam Wilson Cap, Bucky Cap, US Agent, Danielle Cage, Isaiah Bradley and his grandson The Patriot, The (other) Patriot (Jeffery Mace), Spirit of 76, Ms America, American Dream ect.

Comic creators ran out of original ideas decades ago.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by roni190 View Post
    May as well apply the same question to several heroes

Why so many Iron Man types?
    Tony Stark, War Machine, Guardsman, Titanium Man, Crimson Dynamo, Iron man 2020, Beetle, Mach I>V, Iron Heart, Iron Spider, Iron Lad, Mauler, Detroit Steel, Rescue ect.

Or Thor Types?
    Thor (Odinson), Thor (Jane Foster), Beta Ray Bill, Thunder Strike, Thor Girl. War Thor, ect.

Or Captain America types?
    Captain America (Steve Rogers), Hydra Cap, Sam Wilson Cap, Bucky Cap, US Agent, Danielle Cage, Isaiah Bradley and his grandson The Patriot, The (other) Patriot (Jeffery Mace), Spirit of 76, Ms America, American Dream ect.

Comic creators ran out of original ideas decades ago.
    Abner is Mach X now, as of the most recent Thunderbolts series. He was also Mach VII in Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

You forgot Iron Patriot, an identity used by Green Goblin, War Machine, and the second Rescue (Toni Ho). There's also a third Patriot, Sam's new sidekick Rayshaun Lucas.