Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I get that, but there's a difference between, say, "Street Fighter II: The Movie" and "Spongebob". Not that both aren't cartoons, but both use art styles that speak to their respective story style. It's not that it's as good as Bogdanovic can give, just that his particular style, imo, doesn't quite fit the thrust of the writing for me.. if that makes any sense.
    Spongebob and Street Fighter are entirely different products. Bog's art style would certainly qualify for a Capcom feature and looks absolutely nothing like Spongebob. The same is true for Zircher, Herbert, etc. I know that's just one example you're using, but it's ironic in the case of discussing a guy with an art style very reminiscent of popular shonen.

Different strokes, sure. I say give me Jorge Jimenez over Alex Ross all day.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Since it's very likely that we now know who Oz is, I wonder if this issue will also reveal who it was that Oz was speaking to Johns' Superman run.
    I hope so too, but I think it's more likely that'll come later in the arc or in Doomsday Clock.

Another "image of Oz".. Seems that this image is of AC 988.. He is a BIG FAN of superman..

Action-Comics-988.jpg

Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar

To me this cover looks as if he's being forced. And I don't know if something like this fits Manhattan's M.O. Why I think there's another secret force beyond both Oz AND Manhattan. Manhattan saved you-know-who, for whatever reason, but I think it's another outright malicious third-party that does all this to him afterward.

Btw, with the Saturn Girl stuff still hanging in the air and likely being a factor at some point, the Legion theme is making me hope that if Johns does go back to who Oz was talking to behind the door WAY back when, it ends up a Legionnaire. I might have mentioned this way back then, but I think it'd be cool to have it be a long thought-dead Legionnaire and use this to bring them back, like either Karate Kid or Ferro Lad. Or barring an option like that, maybe just a as-of-late off the table character like Mon-El.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-12-2017 at 10:42 AM.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

Astonishing Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar

Don't know why he keeps pushing this when he got it right the first time around.

I find it hard to put into words exactly how stupid it would be to have a character whose existed for three years shrouded in mystery, then FINALLY revealed after frankly too long a wait in the first place, and then later on say even THAT was wrong. Along the way completely destroying the emotional resonance that would occur between the faux-reveal and the real-reveal. What kind of bullshit storytelling would that be? Those kind of twists are for far shorter term storylines than this one has been and continues to be by all indications.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

It's not a nostalgia symbol there. For Gods sake, isn't that clear it's a Z letter inside of an O and both read as OZ?

Advanced leaks are as unwelcome as ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Spongebob and Street Fighter are entirely different products. Bog's art style would certainly qualify for a Capcom feature and looks absolutely nothing like Spongebob. The same is true for Zircher, Herbert, etc. I know that's just one example you're using, but it's ironic in the case of discussing a guy with an art style very reminiscent of popular shonen.

Different strokes, sure. I say give me Jorge Jimenez over Alex Ross all day.
    Yeah, I do see the irony, lol - I was just trying to think of two things that are cartoons, but VERY different, just as examples (as you said). The emotional and/or feel of the story is reflected in the art. And while I do like Bog's art, it just doesn't seem to hit as well as Herbert would for me. I also agree that Bog would definitely fit well in a Capcom book.

I can see how you'd like Jimenez over Ross. I enjoy both, but Ross tends to make his characters a bit... old looking.. when left to his own devices fully. His Superman is decidedly NOT in his 30's. Though it is a sort of throwback to Curt Swan, which is cool, too.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

I'd really love Herbert back because as you mention, certain artists kind of throw back to Swan. Herbert is like Ordway, McLeod, Ross, Ryan, Guice, etc. in a way that not many in the last twenty years have been. Most guys out seem to draw him in a post Mcguinness and Mahnke style where he looks younger and bigger, with sort of a crew cut.

But for all I care, this issue could be Liefeld if we're getting a full dose of Sook for 988.

Granted the cliffhanger reveal was effectively SUPERSHOCKING (and suspect) but I think the true impact of this scene has clouded the rating of the overall issue which really seemed average overall. Also that cover is so average and should have been replaced by the variant as the 1st image choice for this decent opening chapter.