Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default State of Being - What the Hell Is Up With Archangel?

*SPOILERS FOR ASTONISHING X-MEN #1-3

I think I'm made it known how I feel about Charles Soule's take on Warren Worthington the III aka Angel aka Archangel and how there's been a complete 180 from Bunn's Uncanny run. This is mostly because where he's been left in Astonishing X-Men. In this incarnation, Remender's Dark Angel Saga and Bunn's Apocalypse Wars seem to not have any place to match his characterization. Though, Sina Grace said this in the 'Iceman Legacy' Interview:

One person that’s part of the Champions reunion is of course Bobby’s friend, fellow mutant, and longtime team mate Angel, AKA Warren Worthington III.

Grace: It’s the original Champions team and the original iterations of the X-Men, so there’s no time displaced Warren. He’s a character who’s also gone through a lot recently. I chatted with Cullen Bunn about where he left the character before X-Men Blue, and editorial gave me feedback and insight into how Charles Soule would be handling him in Astonishing X-Men.

Warren is a really nice character to have after everything Bobby has gone through, because it allows Bobby to be a friend to someone else rather than just sort of continue on any sort of pity parade. They’re relationship is bromantic. So fans will get to see these two best friends be there for each other on top of dealing with a potential Sentinel threat in Los Angeles. I say potential because not everything is as it seems. [Laughs]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If Sina Grace is actually connecting the two seemingly different versions of Warren in his 'Champions' storyline (in terms of characterization and power), maybe we could see some actual continuity line-up in Astonishing X-Men and I'm just being impatient.

tl;dr What the $#@& is going on with Archangel???
    Last edited by ţh жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя Tycon; 09-08-2017 at 09:51 PM. Reason: crappy grammar

It's nice that Sina Grace is making an effort, but I don't know. Warren is so convoluted now. Everyone does their own thing with him.

Those sideburns don't look right.

Frankly I think the Burn's are a nice touch. Characterization wise?

Uhhh, wait and see?

Older Warren's characterization is as inconsistent as his younger self is irrelevant.

Ultimate Member

There wasn't a problem until Kyle and Yost just ignored continuity to put Warren on their murder death kill X-Force squad and then Remender dreamt up that whole dual personality problem and then Bunn didn't full explain the new status quo for Warren at the end of his last run...this team almost seems like it's just biding time until something better comes along...or the next crossover...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Older Warren's characterization is as inconsistent as his younger self is irrelevant.
    Sad yet true.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

I guess we will have to wait and see.

The way Grace describes Angel and Bobby as best friends may be a sign that the Angel seen in Astonishing isn't Hippie Angel at all. That would be a nice start in figuring out Warren's characterization. It would mean we are back to real Angel having to control his Archangel personality. The scene with the cops in Astonishing 3 would seem to confirm that but who knows at this point.

BANNED

why can't he get back with Page Guthrie.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

AX#3 is ruining Angel completely... he is such a binary schizoid now... ugh. Worst of both former worlds and lost the complicated plot that was building in latest Uncanny
    Chris Claremont, Peter David, Mike Carey, Cullen Bunn = canon. Others = fanfic.

But the Archangel on Bunn's UXM was a clone and then there was the Hippie Angel. Neither was the real Warren at all. After they merged, Psylocke mentioned she was working with him so Warren would become the man he was before again.
    I guess we are supposed to assume she succeeded because Bunn had 9 more issues to explain Warren's new status quo but just dropped that plot completely. I don't think Soule is at fault here.

Fantastic Member True Believer Tony's Avatar

Ugh, thanks for making this topic because this has been bugging me too. Why did Bunn feel the need to create two separate Angels anyway? It makes little sense especially since he just ended up merging them anyway.

What I want to know if if he has Warren's memories or not because unless there's a really good explanation for it, he really shouldn't. Remender made it pretty clear that they were burned away at the conclusion of The Dark Angel Saga. Where did they come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    But the Archangel on Bunn's UXM was a clone and then there was the Hippie Angel. Neither was the real Warren at all. After they merged, Psylocke mentioned she was working with him so Warren would become the man he was before again.
    I guess we are supposed to assume she succeeded because Bunn had 9 more issues to explain Warren's new status quo but just dropped that plot completely. I don't think Soule is at fault here.

I don't think it's Bunn's fault. He had to cut some of his plots short because of ResuRRexion and his Uncanny book getting cancelled. One of them was Archangel's story. Maybe this was going to be how Archangel's plot was meant to end, maybe not. For all we know the editors may have as much of a hand as to how Angel is being written as Soule does.

All-New Member

Archangel is one of my favorite X-men. I have my two favorite X-men on the same team Gambit and Archangel. Please do them right Soule.

I liked Angel in AXM 3. Finally smth more then just an unemotional Terminator from Buncanny. And I liked Buncanny too.
    Last edited by Purplevit; 09-09-2017 at 07:57 AM.

The Archangel/Angel saga is getting to be as complicated as the hawkman saga.
    The Self is the only existing reality