Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default How would you sabotage sales for Spider-Man?

This is probably the reverse of the typical conversation on sales.

If Marvel wanted to sabotage sales, what would they do? How could they get sales of Amazing Spider-Man to the lowest number possible?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Stop publishing it.

Astonishing Member

Can "replace Peter Parker" even be an option anymore given the peak of Slott's era was "Superior", the more likeable Renew Your Vows Parkers are waiting in the wings, and Miles has a sizeable following?

1: No events of any kind. Events, even though they haven't been creating as large a boost as in the past, still do boost sales. ASM might have fallen below 50k in sales if not for the boost due to trying in to Secret Empire.

2: No variant covers of any kind. Another way of boosting sales. This includes no store exclusive variant covers.

3: Lack of merchandise. And 4: Don't allow the character to appear in other comics. Minimize the character. A lack of advertisement can go a long way.

5: Major creative team shifts very quickly.

I'd say that'd do a decent job of getting the ball rolling.

Heel-turn Mary Jane.

this could be a fun thread. I think that changing Spider-man's costume to something that completely lacks iconography associated with the character would be a good blow. Like no spider-emblem, different color scheme, completely different design for the mask. Like a costume that doesn't look like spider-man or even derivative of spider-man.

Some stuff I'd do...

1. Fire Dan Slott as publicly and painfully as possible. It should be clear that he's not given the chance to tie up loose ends, or to even finish stories. This will get his fans pissed.

2. Hire no-name talent. Should someone do good work, move them to another title ASAP.

3. Have stories that are both political and self-righteous, with characters alienating the rest of the supporting cast with their stridency.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    this could be a fun thread. I think that changing Spider-man's costume to something that completely lacks iconography associated with the character would be a good blow. Like no spider-emblem, different color scheme, completely different design for the mask. Like a costume that doesn't look like spider-man or even derivative of spider-man.
    Getting multiple artists with radically different styles at this time could also help.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Heel-turn Mary Jane.
    That'll help do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Can "replace Peter Parker" even be an option anymore given the peak of Slott's era was "Superior", the more likeable Renew Your Vows Parkers are waiting in the wings, and Miles has a sizeable following?
    Depends who you replace him with.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    1: No events of any kind. Events, even though they haven't been creating as large a boost as in the past, still do boost sales. ASM might have fallen below 50k in sales if not for the boost due to trying in to Secret Empire.

2: No variant covers of any kind. Another way of boosting sales. This includes no store exclusive variant covers.

3: Lack of merchandise. And 4: Don't allow the character to appear in other comics. Minimize the character. A lack of advertisement can go a long way.

5: Major creative team shifts very quickly.

I'd say that'd do a decent job of getting the ball rolling.
    I agree with #1, #2 and #5. I'm not so sure about #4. If Spider-Man doesn't appear in other books, his appearances in his own title are more special.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

:"*#/+()⅝2@6_⁴ⁿ∅Π`~€^\ this equation if deciphered correctly will guaranteed end spiderman comic book for all time.
    The Self is the only existing reality

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I agree with #1, #2 and #5. I'm not so sure about #4. If Spider-Man doesn't appear in other books, his appearances in his own title are more special.
    A possibility. My thought was minimizing Spider-Man's prominence throughout Marvel. Prominent characters tend to get a lot of exposure. Minimizing that was a thought of making Spider-Man seem smaller.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Should someone do good work, move them to another title ASAP.
    This is pretty much what they've done to Stegman on Renew Your Vows (he has a top-secret alternative Spidey project going on and can only do covers for RYV now)

1. Minimize crime fighting activity, it's not that Peter ignores crime just nothing really seems to happen around him. If he does stop a crime it's totally unintentional, like he accidentally drops his coffee and after he walks away a purse snatcher slips on it.

2. Wildly inconsistent abilities.

3. Most of the issues are him doing mundane things like surfing the internet on his phone.

4. Inconsistent supporting cast, characters seemingly appear and leave at random.

One more idea= Ten page Aunt May sponge bath.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    A possibility. My thought was minimizing Spider-Man's prominence throughout Marvel. Prominent characters tend to get a lot of exposure. Minimizing that was a thought of making Spider-Man seem smaller.
    This brings up another way to diminish him. Let him appear in other titles, but insist that he be written in an obnoxious and ineffective manner (IE- He complains about immigrants when the X-Men save him from the Blob.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Make Trouble canon.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Well, Peter was still a pretty large part of Superior (except from issues 9-19), and Miles and RYV Peter are nowhere near as popular or loved as 616 Peter. So yes, it is still an option.

Anyways, here are my thoughts:

1. Retcon Peter to become a teenager again.
    2. Make Miles be in high school with Peter, but be the one first bitten by a radioactive spider and Peter's mentor.
    3. Make Peter unable to stop any crime without teaming up with other heroes (ex. some issues of Slott's run, Ultimate Spider-Man TV show, or Spider-Man Homecoming) or having it be a complete accident.
    Last edited by blackspidey2099; 09-10-2017 at 05:27 PM.

I'm ready to write the epic that Stegron the Dinosaur Man has always deserved.

-Pav, who knows a star when he sees one...
    2017 Marvel Monthly Buys: America Ben Reilly: the Scarlet Spider Iron Fist Iron Fists Runaways Silver Surfer Spider-Gwen

Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my middle school students! DM for details