Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Len Wein

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Lord have mercy.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Very sad news. I started reading comics in the late 70s, so Len's Batman, Swamp Thing and Justice League really shaped my taste.

Loved his Amazing Spider-Man run. Its true that it was not a legendary run, per say, but it was fun for me at the time and in many ways it established the modern baseline for Peter Parker and all the illusion of change stories that were to come.

Such a legendary creator. Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Lucius Fox, Amanda Waller...the list goes on.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Wein is somewhat underappreciated for his key role in transforming superhero comics from simple stories aimed at children to something older readers could continue enjoying. Along with Denny O'Neill, Cary Bates, and Elliot S! Maggin, Wein was one of the key architects of the Bronze Age of Comics.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I'll miss the guy, he did great work as a comic book writer.
    My condolences to his family.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Please turn off your ad block, ads accompanying my videos are how I earn money

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    Mine? It will always be his swap thing run. I feel it does not get the praise it deserves.
    Seriously. I mean, Alan Moore obviously did the best run it had, but Len Wein's original stories were way better than all the terrible writers who tried to copy Alan Moore's style in the subsequent runs. Most comics that old feel dated to me, but his Swamp Thing kept me very engaged.

Invincible Member

Surprisingly, they actually did a short piece about Len Wein on NPR this morning.

RIP. Loved his work on Swampy boy.
    That is the land of lost content, I see it shining plain, the happy highways where I went and cannot come again.

I liked his JUSTICE LEAGUE work best. I wish he's stayed on that as long as Gerry Conway did, since Conway's JLA was mostly drudge-work.

Astonishing Member

Len Wein may have revived the X-Men from the limbo, but it was Chris Claremont who made X-Men into a best-seller.

I can agree with saying he's gone over as under appreciated, because the guy has a pretty significant shadow when you really think about it. Wein and Wrightson were solid together and apart, and now I'm wishing the best for those who knew either man.

Boisterously Confused

Everybody remembers Miller and O’Neil and Adams on Batman. Not enough remember Wein.