Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Exactly look at the top 20 with the exception of 1 book (Flash) all the other DC's book there are Batman related.

I don't what to make this a DC verses Marvel issue because I do think each company have their problems but I cannot take people serious who look at these numbers every month and see Marvel as on the brink of failure but in the same breath talk about DC's success strategy.
    batman prints money. is dc suppose to feel bad about that? not clear on the reasoning there ..

also, ww is a big focus of their line and she is minority (woman). they also have batwoman (lesbian), suicide squad (directed by poc woman, led by woman), harley quinn (woman), batgirl (woman), bop (women), gls (poc woman and poc man)

they might not have shove their headliners off of the stage like marvel does, but dc does a very good job at keeping women starring in books.

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

It's really sad seeing royals, secret warriors, hawkeye, and jean grey struggle so badly in monthly sales because the storytelling that's being done with those series is nothing short of amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    It's really sad seeing royals, secret warriors, hawkeye, and jean grey struggle so badly in monthly sales because the storytelling that's being done with those series is nothing short of amazing.
    as redjack and other pros have told you time and again, you really cant judge how these books are doing in sales. they might all be doing amazing for all you know

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Exactly look at the top 20 with the exception of 1 book (Flash) all the other DC's book there are Batman related.

I don't what to make this a DC verses Marvel issue because I do think each company have their problems but I cannot take people serious who look at these numbers every month and see Marvel as on the brink of failure but in the same breath talk about DC's success strategy.
    Alas, it seems Batman, Star Wars and Walking Dead are pretty much what's keeping the direct market afloat.

Top 20 ongoings w/o events and #1s:

1. Batman
    2. Star Wars
    3. Walking Dead
    4. Darth Vader
    5. All Star Batman
    6. Amazing Spider-Man
    7. Detective Comics
    8. Flash
    9. Astonishing X-Men
    10. Justice League
    11. Superman
    12. X-Men Gold
    13. Wonder Woman
    14. Spider-Men II
    15. Saga
    16. Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-Man
    17. Edge of Venomverse
    18. Old Man Logan
    19. Action Comics
    20. Captain America
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

And with numbers that are below 10k I wonder how are america and monsters unleashed are even making it into marvel legacy? At the very least I can see them maybe lasting a single arc during the marvel legacy rollout but after their first arc in the rollout I honestly don't see them lasting as long because titles selling below 10k is very fucking bad.
    Last edited by Ianbarreilles; 09-11-2017 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    batman prints money. is dc suppose to feel bad about that? not clear on the reasoning there ..

also, ww is a big focus of their line and she is minority (woman). they also have batwoman (lesbian), suicide squad (directed by poc woman, led by woman), harley quinn (woman), batgirl (woman), bop (women), gls (poc woman and poc man)

they might not have shove their headliners off of the stage like marvel does, but dc does a very good job at keeping women starring in books.
    It's funny that women are referred to as minorities when they make up ~50% of the population.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    It's funny that women are referred to as minorities when they make up ~50% of the population.
    meh thats male dominated society for you

And with numbers that are below 10k I wonder how are america and monsters unleashed are even making it into marvel legacy? At the very least I can see them maybe lasting a single arc during the marvel legacy rollout but after their first arc in the rollout I honestly don't see them lasting as long because titles selling below 10k is very fucking bad.
    At 10-12K, I believe the books are at least covering the cost for the creative team.

There are Image books that do ~6K as single issues and kept on going with a view towards trade sales.
    Currently Following:

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post

When you put it that way it seems Marvel is concentrating on teenage females while DC focuses on women.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    When you put it that way it seems Marvel is concentrating on teenage females while DC focuses on women.
    to be fair, dc has more of those to focus on really. also i forgot supergirl (woman)

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Supergirl and Batgirl kinda feel young adult-ish. There's also Gotham Academy which does poorly as single issues but anecdotally do well via Scholastic. Does decently via book channel, too.

The Young Animal line is a "hip" imprint I expect targeted towards young adult, too.
    Currently Following:

Fantastic Member

I would expect them to get one last trade for Legacy and then wrap up. There are multiple possible reasons for the books continuing, but we'll never learn.

Spectacular Member

Which part of the linked article are you referring to, specifically? I don't think I saw any numbers related to Moon Girl and Squirrel Girl's sales from Scholastic Book Fairs.

Quote Originally Posted by passerby View Post
    Which part of the linked article are you referring to, specifically? I don't think I saw any numbers related to Moon Girl and Squirrel Girl's sales from Scholastic Book Fairs.
    click the links in the story. no one's going to give you hard numbers because it's not in any publisher's interest to do that but the success of books like Squirrel Girl in outside markets is directly stated more than once.
    The Jack is BACK.

MY SITE

Amazing Member

Its hard to say what these lower selling books are doing at the end of the day but for the life of me I cant find anything encouraging other than hearsay. The Diamond list will show them selling under 10k, likewise the Diamond graphic novel list shows books like Unstoppable Wasp, Moongirl, Captain Marvel opening around #50 on the charts.
    Its unlikely to see any of the titles crack the top 15 the week of their release on Comixology and if you look at something like feedback for the graphic novels on Amazon its very little. Compare that to an indie like Saga, Paper Girls getting a ton of feedback on the same platform.

If these books are really tilting the scales it would have to be in one very specific area in a MAJOR way. Obviously there are a lot of numbers we don't see but the sales trends seem pretty consistent from what we can see. My guess would be that either they are barely profitable after all figures are considered or that they aren't profitable but are reaching the audiences that Marvel is aiming for. In the second case its not at all uncommon for a company to be willing to sustain losses for a period of time if that means investing in a new strategy which is what I would bet is going on in a lot of these cases. If Marvel determines that a large majority of the people that do purchase these books are new readers then they likely feel its worthwhile to keep the titles around for that reason alone in hopes that eventually it'll pay off. How long they would continue to do so if that is the case is any ones guess.