Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Xena vs Elektra

The Tentacle God Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    So much better, both in giving information and not making my skin crawl.

Thank you. ^_^
    What about crossbow timer.
    "Someone or thing has got to pay, it's given too much to take away. Oh I just want a legacy, Oh I just want it all to never fade! Don't we all arrive, at the same place where we began?" - Divisi

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    What about crossbow timer.
    Xena's got at least one blowdart-timing feat we should probably deep-dive into.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning View Post
    Xena's got at least one blowdart-timing feat we should probably deep-dive into.
    Oooh, does she have any 'thrown-rock' timing, to speak of?
    "Someone or thing has got to pay, it's given too much to take away. Oh I just want a legacy, Oh I just want it all to never fade! Don't we all arrive, at the same place where we began?" - Divisi

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar
    Why Are We Here?, by Pendaran

"...the Myths Transformed version of the legendarium, in which the Moon is Melkor's attempt to make his own Arda with blackjack and hookers."
    - Estrecca

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move."
    - Nik Hasta

"[Kent] Nelson was nearly invariably presented as the guy who, barring the Spectre, made everyone else generally gasp and go "Doctor Fate don't shiv, he balls nasty.", even Superman."
    - Pendaran

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

More seriously, and to get the thread back on track, I don't personally have a problem with the Chakram bouncing around the arena. From the little I recall, it bounces ALL OVER THE PLACE without showing any loss of velocity (and ignoring gravity), so I can totally see it bouncing back and forth between the extremely distant walls of the arena.

Not saying a bullet-timer can't avoid it, just saying it certainly can bounce around in odd ways, even in the arena.
    Why Are We Here?, by Pendaran

"...the Myths Transformed version of the legendarium, in which the Moon is Melkor's attempt to make his own Arda with blackjack and hookers."
    - Estrecca

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move."
    - Nik Hasta

"[Kent] Nelson was nearly invariably presented as the guy who, barring the Spectre, made everyone else generally gasp and go "Doctor Fate don't shiv, he balls nasty.", even Superman."
    - Pendaran

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Based on what? No bullet timer came into contact with it, and there is no reason to believe they wouldn't be able to dodge it.
    Yes, there were people in the setting that dodged or blocked it. Hercules did.it as did Callisto and another warrior woman.
    The Four Levels of Competence
    Unconscious incompetence - where one is not aware one stinks and has zero skill.
    Conscious incompetence - where one has trained enough to finally figured out one stinks and has zero skill.
    Conscious competence - where one has skill, but needs to concentrate and think about everything as one is doing it.
    Unconscious competence - where one has hardwired stuff in enough that one doesn't actually think about what one is doing, but just does it.
    -SharpandPointies

More seriously, and to get the thread back on track, I don't personally have a problem with the Chakram bouncing around the arena. From the little I recall, it bounces ALL OVER THE PLACE without showing any loss of velocity (and ignoring gravity), so I can totally see it bouncing back and forth between the extremely distant walls of the arena.

Not saying a bullet-timer can't avoid it, just saying it certainly can bounce around in odd ways, even in the arena.
    Real question is, does it move faster than Xena's herself, can react. Because if it does, then we're getting into the amusing, "takes self out with own projectile", scenario, what with it bouncing all over.

She threw it the.length of a village and.had it hitting the multiple targets she aimed for. She is probably a match for Elektra in everything but speed and that only because there are no bullets to dodge in her setting.
    Unconscious incompetence - where one is not aware one stinks and has zero skill.
    Conscious incompetence - where one has trained enough to finally figured out one stinks and has zero skill.
    Conscious competence - where one has skill, but needs to concentrate and think about everything as one is doing it.
    Unconscious competence - where one has hardwired stuff in enough that one doesn't actually think about what one is doing, but just does it.
    -SharpandPointies

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Real question is, does it move faster than Xena's herself, can react. Because if it does, then we're getting into the amusing, "takes self out with own projectile", scenario, what with it bouncing all over.
    Maw because she always catches it with no evidence it slowed down.
    -SharpandPointies

Yeah i saw xena and her chakram compared to cap and his shield, but that isn't even remotely close. Xena's chakram tricks are flat out magic.

EDIT: instead of me awkwardly describing this feat, just check it out at 2:30 in the compilation:

https://youtu.be/Sui2mWefCis

The problem is that Elektra will just catch it if she even hears it coming from behind her (it does make a very distinctive, loud noise). But it does give Xena a possible path to victory if she times it to land when Elektra enters close combat.
    Last edited by Morning; 09-13-2017 at 12:55 PM.

Of course, your guys wait until I'm on vacation to do all these Xena threads so I have used my phone.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Yeah i saw xena and her chakram compared to cap and his shield, but that isn't even remotely close. Xena's chakram tricks are flat out magic.

EDIT: instead of me awkwardly describing this feat, just check it out at 2:30 in the compilation:

https://youtu.be/Sui2mWefCis

The problem is that Elektra will just catch it if she even hears it coming from behind her (it does make a very distinctive, loud noise). But it does give Xena a possible path to victory if she times it to land when Elektra enters close combat.
    I was going to mention this, the chakram is essentially a sentient thing that does whatever the hell it wants.

Also worth noting that you can't just catch it, if you hold it or catch it the wrong way it will slice your hand off. Theres a feat in an episode where Xena loses her memories, picks up the chakram, is holding it wrong and it slices into her hand.

Plus the chakram can split in half and tends to be a dick to Xena's enemies, keeping them on their toes.

I'm not sure if Elektra can deal with 2 chakram pieces flying around, Xena's level of defying gravity and her skill set. Elektra is pretty great but Xena is better.

I feel like a fighter near xena's overall skill level could probably catch it without getting cut. amnesia xena was just especially clueless. Callisto effortlessly caught it just by studying Xena's moves. Other people manage to hold it all the time without cutting themselves. Furthermore, it can't do whatever it wants. I think it's safe to say it's basically enchanted to always return to the thrower; but it can still be stopped cold by a deflection the thrower never intended. So elektra has the option of swatting it into the ground.

But can she do that to both halves coming from two angles behind her at slightly different speeds without leaving herself open to even one of Xena's attacks? I don't know.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

I feel like a fighter near xena's overall skill level could probably catch it without getting cut. amnesia xena was just especially clueless. Callisto effortlessly caught it just by studying Xena's moves. Other people manage to hold it all the time without cutting themselves. Furthermore, it can't do whatever it wants. I think it's safe to say it's basically enchanted to always return to the thrower; but it can still be stopped cold by a deflection the thrower never intended. So elektra has the option of swatting it into the ground.

But can she do that to both halves coming from two angles behind her at slightly different speeds without leaving herself open to even one of Xena's attacks? I don't know.
    Callisto never caught the balanced chakram, the design of the new chakram suggests it sharper than the old. But thats just a nit pick.

I can't recall an occurrence of it being able to be swatted, it usually has a knife or something thrown in its way and changes it's course or gets stuck in a tree tho its very inconsistent whether it'll bounce off the tree or cut right through it like its butter.

I can't remember Elektra having any kind of serious self awareness/reflexes feats? I think she deflected a bullet?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    Callisto never caught the balanced chakram, the design of the new chakram suggests it sharper than the old. But thats just a nit pick.

I can't recall an occurrence of it being able to be swatted, it usually has a knife or something thrown in its way and changes it's course or gets stuck in a tree tho its very inconsistent whether it'll bounce off the tree or cut right through it like its butter.

I can't remember Elektra having any kind of serious self awareness/reflexes feats? I think she deflected a bullet?
    She's a confirmed bullet-timer, and has oodles of feats of dodging multiple bullets at close range over the year (some of which, sure, can absolutely be aim-dodging). She's deflected bullets with swings of her sai, after firing. She's just flat-out faster than Xena, and has been reacting to things faster than the Chakram for a long, long time.