Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Results 121 to 134 of 134
  1. #121
    Astonishing Member Pendaran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,467

    Default

    1. I have already provided you three scans where her powers operated without having to think to do so. Her powers and the intensity of them are a reflection of her emotions. If she goes into battle angry the weather will instantly reflect this. Again, she doesn't have to be freaking out, hysterical or any other over the top descriptions to describe her feelings for her powers to work subconsciously or even unconsciously. She was slightly agitated here and her powers accidentally responded as a result to her agitation:
    You have provided scans that require Storm to be furiously enraged or in some way freaking out, then not explained why she will be in that state at fight start when directly asked repeatedly, you bet. You have provided zero dead none scans of Storm's powers unconsciously attacking people when not in those states. Your current scan shows Storm being agitated making things hot enough for people to sweat. In what way at all can this possibly be relevant when I ask "how will Storm be in an intense enough of a mood at fight start for her powers to attack people without her even trying, when all your scans show she needs to be like that."

    Your current argument is "based on when Storm is agitated enough to make people sweat, this will happen"

    You have provided absolutely nothing to show anything you are claiming could even possibly happen, so to ask again:

    For what reason should we assume at fight start that Storm will be freaking out so hard/enraged/deeply panicked for her own survival, that her powers will be lashing out without any effort on her part?

  2. #122
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    So we believe the part of the scan where it says it happens instantly, but not the part where she announces her intention to do it, got it.

    This is absurd.
    No, your argument is absurd. The issue did not state that she was gathering power for her attack as she was talking. This is the claim that YOU are trying to make. You are making stuff up. All the issue shows is Storm giving a speech before unleashing an attack she does instantly. So, in other words, what the writer shows is people pausing to listen to Storm talk, and then, before anybody can react after she finishes what she's saying, she attacks faster than anybody can react.

  3. #123
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,920

    Default

    By way of comparison, we just had a thread with the opposite problem for Thor. Thor actually has some super speed feats to his name, and is ruled to a have a degree of enhanced reaction time. Many of his most powerful abilities, however, actually have significant charge time attached to them, like the God Blast. Thor might be faster than an opponent with no super speed, and can potentially chuck his hammer at them before they think. But he can't charge up a god blast before they can think.

    The scans y'all provide show Storm's abilities don't suffer from that charge time, but they do very little to demonstrate she herself has enhanced reaction times. She's got the opposite issue as Thor.

    Flying super fast does not demonstrate fast reactions. Her powers manifesting quickly once she decides to use them and/or announces her intention to does not equate to her having fast reaction time. Her using her powers to block attacks she knows are coming and can adjust before they are fired? Perhaps a little better, but still not a great demonstration of reaction time.

    Green Lantern's can fire off energy attacks that catch speedsters, blasts that cross light years in seconds, and blasts that are observable moving to Wally West where everything else is frozen. They zip around breaking the sound barrier, flying all the way around the planet to punch a dude in the back of the head, zip between galaxies, have dog fights where they are dodging lasers in asteroid fields, block bullets, block lasers, what have you. Various Lanterns have created constructs without even being consciously aware of it, including constructs which zip around and act as speedsters.


    They still need to THINK to do any of those things, and we don't treat them as thinking faster than a human being.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 09-12-2017 at 06:08 PM.

  4. #124
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    No, your argument is absurd. The issue did not state that she was gathering power for her attack as she was talking. This is the claim that YOU are trying to make. You are making stuff up. All the issue shows is Storm giving a speech before unleashing an attack she does instantly. So, in other words, what the writer shows is people pausing to listen to Storm talk, and then, before anybody can react after she finishes what she's saying, she attacks faster than anybody can react.
    Did I say she needed to gather power? No. I said we see her decide to do it and execute it in real time. It just isn't an example of her activating her power at super human speed, despite your attempts to make it so.

  5. #125
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,920

    Default

    It's not even like we are pointing out the various times where Storm has gotten hit or someone has gotten the drop on her to demonstrate that Storm is slow or something. We haven't even had to go there because none of the scans provided prove what y'all say they prove.

  6. #126

    Default

    yay storm thread

  7. #127
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    To illustrate the distinction, here's a scan of Monica Rambeau's powers acting "instantly," transforming her into light. It doesn't mean she's reacting at super speeds, just that the transformation occurs at super speed.

    https://am22.akamaized.net/tms/cnt/u...-1-580x416.jpg

    Now, here's Monica explicitly REACTING while the other Avengers are frozen, literally quick drawing them from her human form and then moving herself in light form before anyone can move a muscle.

    https://static.comicvine.com/uploads...eedfeatxo9.jpg

    The first scan just shows her powers happen fast. The second scan shows SHE ACTIVATES THEM FAST. Also, let's note that Monica is presented as someone who actually moves, thinks, and operates at the speed of light. It is an integral part of her character.

    Storm is presented as someone who make incredible powerful or complex weather effects occur very quickly when she wills them to, and sometimes without willing them when she's freaking out. She is not presented as someone who has Flash, Pulsar, or even Quicksilver style super speed.

    Matt Murdock has noticed a sniper bullet coming at him from outside his office window when the bullet is 10 feet from him, and managed to jerk his head out of the way and not die. Are you guys suggesting that if someone fired a sniper bullet at Ororo while she was gardening and unaware of the sniper, she would use her powers to either consciously or unconsciously block the bullet? Because that is effectively the argument you guys are making.
    Where is she freaking out here:



    Her powers are a reflection of her emotions good bad and all the things in between.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Saying that her powers happened instantaneously can be argued to be just as much artistic license. And frankly if you're argument involves selectively ignoring parts of your own scans, maybe you should reevaluate your argument?
    It has happened far too many times and throughout her 40 year plus history to be artistic license.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    So we believe the part of the scan where it says it happens instantly, but not the part where she announces her intention to do it, got it.

    This is absurd.
    It's a comicbook not physics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    You have provided scans that require Storm to be furiously enraged or in some way freaking out, then not explained why she will be in that state at fight start when directly asked repeatedly, you bet. You have provided zero dead none scans of Storm's powers unconsciously attacking people when not in those states. Your current scan shows Storm being agitated making things hot enough for people to sweat. In what way at all can this possibly be relevant when I ask "how will Storm be in an intense enough of a mood at fight start for her powers to attack people without her even trying, when all your scans show she needs to be like that."

    Your current argument is "based on when Storm is agitated enough to make people sweat, this will happen"

    You have provided absolutely nothing to show anything you are claiming could even possibly happen, so to ask again:

    For what reason should we assume at fight start that Storm will be freaking out so hard/enraged/deeply panicked for her own survival, that her powers will be lashing out without any effort on her part?
    Let me post this again, where is she furious here:



    My argument is that her powers work without having to think, which you initially said did not happen. You are now moving the goal post after your initial statement was proven false. Also, her powers work in less than a conscious thought and in an instant. You add to this she is able to react in enough time to stop beings made of lightning, stop and deflect blast that move at the speed of light (cyclops optic blast) and move at so fast she can break the sound barrier and this is an overkill in Storm's favor.

  8. #128
    Mighty Member Shellhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    3) She blew up a Herald of Galactus.
    Whoops, you got that one backwards. Here is Firelord blowing up a not particularly fast Storm:


  9. #129
    Mighty Member Shellhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rockingmoses View Post
    yay storm thread
    Yup. A bunch of tourists show up every time, too. It's feels like a coordinated invasion from another forum.

  10. #130
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    By way of comparison, we just had a thread with the opposite problem for Thor. Thor actually has some super speed feats to his name, and is ruled to a have a degree of enhanced reaction time. Many of his most powerful abilities, however, actually have significant charge time attached to them, like the God Blast. Thor might be faster than an opponent with no super speed, and can potentially chuck his hammer at them before they think. But he can't charge up a god blast before they can think.

    The scans y'all provide show Storm's abilities don't suffer from that charge time, but they do very little to demonstrate she herself has enhanced reaction times. She's got the opposite issue as Thor.

    Flying super fast does not demonstrate fast reactions. Her powers manifesting quickly once she decides to use them and/or announces her intention to does not equate to her having fast reaction time. Her using her powers to block attacks she knows are coming and can adjust before they are fired? Perhaps a little better, but still not a great demonstration of reaction time.

    Green Lantern's can fire off energy attacks that catch speedsters, blasts that cross light years in seconds, and blasts that are observable moving to Wally West where everything else is frozen. They zip around breaking the sound barrier, flying all the way around the planet to punch a dude in the back of the head, zip between galaxies, have dog fights where they are dodging lasers in asteroid fields, block bullets, block lasers, what have you. Various Lanterns have created constructs without even being consciously aware of it, including constructs which zip around and act as speedsters.


    They still need to THINK to do any of those things, and we don't treat them as thinking faster than a human being.
    Storm reaction time feats:

    Fast enough to dodge Mjolnir




    Fast enough to stop and repel an attack from the living lightning:



    Moving fast enough to dodge a cave-in (which isn't travel time):


  11. #131
    The Tentacle God Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dead City of R'lyeh
    Posts
    7,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    It's not even like we are pointing out the various times where Storm has gotten hit or someone has gotten the drop on her to demonstrate that Storm is slow or something. We haven't even had to go there because none of the scans provided prove what y'all say they prove.
    Obviously though, it's our fault.

    As a side note. Do we have a League of _______ for the characters that create these sorts of threads ? Because it's definitely a theme, and we definitely need a League of ______ for these.
    "Someone or thing has got to pay, it's given too much to take away. Oh I just want a legacy, Oh I just want it all to never fade! Don't we all arrive, at the same place where we began?" - Divisi

  12. #132
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Whoops, you got that one backwards. Here is Firelord blowing up a not particularly fast Storm:

    Whups! Where did this scan come from?


    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/Sz1uHALLWV4...b-KDRpOh=s1600

    As I said, Storm blew up a Herald of Galactus!

  13. #133
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,352

    Default

    Storm using her powers before her opponents have time to react:

    Create a hurricane to pummel the phoenix in LITERALLY blink of an eye:



    Creating a maelstrom before anyone in the room could react:



    Using her powers to shut down Sinister's brain before he can react"


  14. #134
    Rumbles Moderator Guy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,868

    Default

    I think things are getting a little heated in here so I'm going to give this a temporary close to give everyone a chance to step back and breathe. Take a breather guys.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •