Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    Is anyone else just bored of....how depressing this book is? Or how depressing speedsters are in general? Neither Wallies nor Barry are in a good status quo and Flash has lost the heart of what made him unique amongst Big 7 by losing the optimistic, fun, adventurous stories. I would rather read King's Batman for my depressive stories, at least that one has some depth and solid art work.
    I dunno. Barry's going through a lot right now, but I don't think of the book as overbearingly depressing and I think we're probably going to get some fun stuff eventually. But that's just me.

I also think it's Barry's heart that is what's carrying him across this run and everything he's faced in it.

Ultimate Member

Is anyone else just bored of....how depressing this book is? Or how depressing speedsters are in general? Neither Wallies nor Barry are in a good status quo and Flash has lost the heart of what made him unique amongst Big 7 by losing the optimistic, fun, adventurous stories. I would rather read King's Batman for my depressive stories, at least that one has some depth and solid art work.
    It's kind of ironic how once Barry was suppose to be the light heartness of the DCU. Now look what happened to him ?

I blame Geoff Johns for part of this and I also blame management at DC for most of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I dunno. Barry's going through a lot right now, but I don't think of the book as overbearingly depressing and I think we're probably going to get some fun stuff eventually. But that's just me.

I also think it's Barry's heart that is what's carrying him across this run and everything he's faced in it.
    There is a focus on his heart? All he did was to be mopey about his bad luck, be sad for others, be sad about lying but never stop lying, cry about his dead mom, cry about his new powers and get depressed about how lonely he is.

If that's what you see his heart as....

There is a focus on his heart? All he did was to be mopey about his bad luck, be sad for others, be sad about lying but never stop lying, cry about his dead mom, cry about his new powers and get depressed about how lonely he is.

If that's what you see his heart as....
    I mean, I think the Negative Speed Force is definitely effecting him in that area, but I don't think that speaks to Barry across this entire run and I know he's going to get through this, because that's who Barry Allen is.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

The book is definitely missing the 'fun' element that's for sure.
    I apologise for continuing to go back to Wally, but that was something that was always done well during his tenure.
    Just a quick scene showing him zip off mid conversation and return chowing down with 30 burgers and a Big Gulp with everyone none the wiser.
    Or how about Bart's laugh out loud thought balloons?

A bit of levity makes for a great release valve from all the tension every issue.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No point being a damn fool about it. - W C Fields

I thought this last issue definitely rushed things with the villain again and I felt absolutely no investment in Bloodwork. There was no payoff and Barry hurting everyone around him with his negative speed force infection just seems cliche. I liked the last issue but I feel like we're back in uninspired cliche inconsequential villain-of-the-week comic book territory.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    I thought this last issue definitely rushed things with the villain again and I felt absolutely no investment in Bloodwork. There was no payoff and Barry hurting everyone around him with his negative speed force infection just seems cliche. I liked the last issue but I feel like we're back in uninspired cliche inconsequential villain-of-the-week comic book territory.
    I grew up with and like villains of the week...as long as they're only here FOR THE WEEK and don't linger week after week after week after week.

I'm also waiting for this "Negative Speed Force" storyline to pass because every time it crosses Barry's plate (e.g. FLASH: REBIRTH), he starts acting out of character.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I grew up with and like villains of the week...as long as they're only here FOR THE WEEK and don't linger week after week after week after week.

I'm also waiting for this "Negative Speed Force" storyline to pass because every time it crosses Barry's plate (e.g. FLASH: REBIRTH), he starts acting out of character.

Yeah good point, it is like some weird elongation of VOTW that feels stretched. And totally agreed about the affect to Barry{s character.

(my keyboard symbols are being weird..=

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Maybe that's where all this is headed. Nora Allen might have her own destiny with a rebirth.

That would honestly be great, Flash is one of the characters that I think can get away with a major character dying (that isn't Thawne lol) and have them come back to shake up the status quo without it feeling unearned. I think it's high time for DC to get rid of the whole Nora death in Barry's origin. Have Barry find a way to finally fix it. I'm tired of it.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    That would honestly be great, Flash is one of the characters that I think can get away with a major character dying (that isn't Thawne lol) and have them come back to shake up the status quo without it feeling unearned. I think it's high time for DC to get rid of the whole Nora death in Barry's origin. Have Barry find a way to finally fix it. I'm tired of it.
    I'd love Nora's return.