Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MosSuperman View Post
    So did Grail just hand over baby Darkseid to Batman?
    I think Snyder said something about Metal tying in with Wonder Woman's story? Maybe Robinson will cover it in his run.

This was another great chapter. So many wow moments.

Grail didn't give Batman Baby Darkseid. He said she would probably be right on his tail since he had the baby.

I don't know what threw me more, Batman holding Baby Darkseid or the Secret Society of Immortals meeting in the frikkin' Legion of Doom headquaters .

Incredible Member

This event continues to be complete BS outside the return of pre-Flashpoint lore, but with this issue I've moved over to reading it as a high-octane batshit crazy unintentional parody of the 90s and am at least getting some laughs out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by dzub View Post
    spoilers:
    the batman who laugh's robins were freaking sick and disgusting.
    i wonder if the crow phrase they keep repeating has anything to do with crowbar
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Considering that the Batman Who Laughs ends his boys' rampage by shouting "BAR", I'd judge it highly likely.
    end of spoilers
    Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme, Hulk, Iceman, Ms. Marvel, Nova, Spider-Gwen, Spider-Man, Totally Awesome Hulk.
    Archie, The Archies, Descender, Mezolith, Morning Glories, Saga, The Wicked + The Divine, The Woods. Action Comics, Batman,
    Batman Beyond, Batwoman, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Mother Panic, Nightwing, Shade, Superman, Super-Sons, Trinity.

Fantastic Member

Re the Council of Immortals: Is that Abel from The Original House of Secrets comic / And The Dreaming sitting next to Ras and brother Cain (House of Mystery/The Dreaming) in the shadows?

I mean, seriously, the Legion of Doom's headquarters ?

Loved it!!!!

I was worried about how well Snyder would handle "Batman is a loner who plans and plans and plans and never lets anyone else in on those plans and is a major jerk" and I thought his reliance on the family, his fear, and levels of admission were really cool.

Especially the Clayface scene. While it would have been cool for that to have really been Bruce, I think it's telling that Bruce gave Clayface that particular 'script.'

It was actually really honest and vulnerable. Which means he actually trusted Clayface enough with it and also knew that at least one of his friends would be worried about him/his plan and chose to tell them... albeit by proxy.

In some ways I think that's actually cooler than if it was just Bruce getting caught by Clark.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Yeah, but to be fair, we haven't seen baby darkseid mentioned in any of the solicits or covers of that upcoming WW arc. Maybe Grail gets into it with WW because she lost darkseid? idk
    Yeah that's true, I now thinking metal will tie into Children of the gods arc in WW, it should do with it so close.

Spectacular Member

Another awesome issue. Really was hoping for more time with Dream and to see exactly what was exchanged between him and Batman. No worries though, I'm sure that will be expanded upon and Dream will definitely be featured later on, possibly when Batman faces whatever this Black Sun is.

Now I have a question about the Council of Immortals. I saw Cain and Abel of the Dreaming. Uncle Sam on the far left next to Phantom Stranger, The Wizard, and Morgaine. Any guesses on the two others who had there backs to us facing Vandal and Kendra?

Quote Originally Posted by twincast View Post
    This event continues to be complete BS outside the return of pre-Flashpoint lore, but with this issue I've moved over to reading it as a high-octane batshit crazy unintentional parody of the 90s and am at least getting some laughs out of it.

spoilers:
    Considering that the Batman Who Laughs ends his boys' rampage by shouting "BAR", I'd judge it highly likely.
    end of spoilers
    when was this? titans or metal?

** cancel that , missed it reading the first time **
    Last edited by dzub; 09-13-2017 at 08:41 PM.
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

I'm having a blast with this event so far. It's the kind of comic that reminds me what a gloriously batshit crazy world the dcu can be. Looking forward to what happens next.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetragrammar View Post
    Another awesome issue. Really was hoping for more time with Dream and to see exactly what was exchanged between him and Batman. No worries though, I'm sure that will be expanded upon and Dream will definitely be featured later on, possibly when Batman faces whatever this Black Sun is.

Now I have a question about the Council of Immortals. I saw Cain and Abel of the Dreaming. Uncle Sam on the far left next to Phantom Stranger, The Wizard, and Morgaine. Any guesses on the two others who had there backs to us facing Vandal and Kendra?
    I still can't get over the fact that they were based out of the Legion of Doom headquarters .

Astonishing Member

This was so bloody silly that I adored it. I'm gonna annotate it real quick, real loose, and real not too deep here, on a page by page basis.

1. We ought not forget than any Scott Snyder usage of Superman is also a pseudo-sequel to his "W.R.A.I.T.H." storyline. Not that it's that memorable.
    2. Gorilla City was last seen in what, Jeff Parker's Aquaman run? Ollie obviously has a big role to play in the Gotham Resistance.
    3. Since when was the Parliament of Trees in the Amazon? Did that happen in the end of Snyder's or Soule's Swamp Thing runs, because last I knew it was in Louisiana?
    4. Snyder's Aquaman feels a lot like Morrison's use of Aquaman during his legendary 90s JLA run, and no doubt on purpose, not even just because of his current state in Abnett's book as long haired and bearded. Snyder's Grayson ... well, Snyder's Batman run STARTED with Dick Grayson.
    5. Flash's "speed of thought" references seem to directly correlate with Manapul and Booch's initial New 52 Flash run.
    6. Cyborg shows some possibly pre-Flashpoint familiarity with Grayson, moreover Grayson is directly using the facial hologram tech from Snyder's own Black Mirror run, linking this back directly to Black Mirror - as well as obviously rot-flowers linking it directly to Swamp Thing.
    7. Capullo makes a strong case for a Swamp Thing run. Seeing Swampy and Aquaman together gives me very fond nostalgia for the Soule/Parker Aquaman/Swamp Thing crossovers a couple years ago - some of the absolute utter best of the New 52 - let's not forget them.
    8. Capullo does a nice, vintage, almost Morrisonian Superman, who looks like a nice guy but gets things done ... so super-damn-fast.
    9. We all gotta re-read Superheavy now, obviously. Maybe Final Crisis, too. I've never thought of the Morrison and Snyder runs on Batman as a continuum until now, but I'm kinda digging it, even if I like the Morrison stuff better from a technical point of view. But yeah, Snyder certainly seeded all these rare elements for a long time. Even at the end of Death of the Family Joker's joke coincided with some Ha Element on the Periodic chart. And flies.
    10. Some rare DC Metal laced into the Daily Planet globe just makes me happy as a fan, nothing more. Metal and nightmares. So weird.
    11. Clayface! First it's lovely to see Snyder play so nice with Tynion's utterly solid Detective run, but moreover it's reminiscent of the fact that Superman last encountered Clayface during Johns's JLA run - in the lead-up to Forever Evil, he used heat-vision to bake Clayface - and there's always been that weird symbolism of Wonder Woman (girl born of mystic clay) having a few things in common with old Clayface.
    12. Legion of Doom HQ last seen also during Final Crisis, I believe, when Luthor and Sivana finally decided they'd had quite enough of effing Libra and his Darkseid Orthodoxy. But quite essential to include Vandal Savage as a total key player here. Savage is going to prove more and more and more important to DC Rebirth, I am sure of it - I'm glad to see his imperialistic and sleek New 52 costume from the Greg Pak Superman run remains, though - good look.
    13. Just too much on this page to commentate on. Paleolithic tribes? Savage hanging out with Hawkgirl? Jeez. That's before we even get to like ... Phantom Stranger or Uncle Sam or Morgaine. Or Cain or Abel or Ra's. Or what looks like it might be O.G. Grundy. Like, what? But nevermind that shit - who the hell is the muscled chained bagged guy The Wizard has chained to him? Anyway, on top of that, Ra's al Ghul (hilariously the youngest member) has had a lot of build-up in recent years, from the wake of the end of Morrison's Batman, Inc., to his schemes in Tomasi's Hunt for Robin/Robin Rises follow-up, to his appearances (injured) in Batman Eternal, and then on to his appearances more recently in Teen Titans (effing with Damian) and his appearances in Detective Comics with Tynion - what the hell is going on with Ra's al Ghul? Last comment for the page - I just want to reiterate here how much I utterly adore his Rebirth-era costume.
    14. Michael doing the dream thing again. Still not sure where Snyder is going with this, beyond the Dark Multiverse's relationship to NIGHTMARES. But it does remind me of how he turned up for Morrison's "Starro" arc in JLA because that was a dream-maker entity from ... well, "Beyond the Multiverse".
    15. What can I say except that I never saw "Baby Darkseid" coming and didn't even realize what I was looking at. FRICK ... gotta re-read Return of Bruce Wayne AND Batman and Robin Must Die! AND Seeley's recent Doctor Hurt return arc.
    16. My favorite thing on this page is just the narration of the location being like "crack, no, actually, Tomb of Hath-Set". We've got Hawkman origins directly linked to Batman/Bat-Tribe/Court of Owls stuff now and it's key to note that these ancient Strigydae just gotta have something to do with Doctor Hurt.
    17. Direct sequel to final Court of Owls appearance in Superheavy, appreciated - I know at this point the Owls have been so overutilized that they don't have the same weight - the Parliament in Seeley's Nightwing run, the petty jerks in the "Talon" series, but it's legit as long as we recognize this splinter as particular focused individuals and note their ties to the Powers group.
    18. Batman's secret identity is basically pointless at this point, right?
    19. Baby Darkseid is almost Tom Kingian in his weird Omega baby talk bubble.
    20. I have to admit, apart from the weirdness (and gender-swap) of the Drowned, the only Nightmare Batman I'm even remotely curious about is Barbatos himself. But I absolutely love the design Snyder and Capullo settled on for the batdemon.
    21. Again - Batman Who Laughs is neat but like ... I'm so in it just for Barbatos. So the entity is the entity, and whether the Hyper-Adapter was "It" or not ... kind of doesn't matter, because it spotted Bruce anyway and is after him. Now, doubtless the usage of Vandal Savage and reference to Final Crisis and use of Darkseid himself indicates that whatever Barbatos is is linked to all that regardless if the Hyper-Adapter Curse itself was Barbatos or just channeling him, or letting him in a bit. But I love this thing.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

One thing that bothered me: in Dark Days: The Casting #1, when we see the immortals, it's clearly the classic Wizard Shazam we see (holding the ninth metal metal dagger)! However, in Dark Nights : Metal #2, we see the "Nu-52" Wizard (argh!) with the immortals! Did anybody else notice this? What do you think happened here?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Banner View Post
    One thing that bothered me: in Dark Days: The Casting #1, when we see the immortals, it's clearly the classic Wizard Shazam we see (holding the ninth metal metal dagger)! However, in Dark Nights : Metal #2, we see the "Nu-52" Wizard (argh!) with the immortals! Did anybody else notice this? What do you think happened here?
    I guess the Wizard got a makeover over the centuries .

Maybe it's supposed to symbolize some kind of corruption ala the effect on the DCU from Dr. Manhattan.