Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider #7 Discussion/Spoilers

Ben Reilly has a brush with Death!
    spoilers:

Literally. Death wearing the form of Marlo Chandler comes to visit Ben because apparently he has died more than any being in the Universe. She confirms that Ben's soul returned to him everytime he was resurrected, but the process damaged it to the point where he went insane, and one more death and resurrection cycle will shatter it forever. However, the longer he stays alive, the more his soul will heal and the more he will be like his old self.
    Ben tries to bargain with Death to resurrect Kaine and Abigail, even offering himself as a sacrifice for them. When she refuses, Ben attacks her in rage, which amuses her so much she not only resurrects both of them, but cures Ben and Kaine of their scars.
    Also, Death was the one who woke up Abigal in issue 2 when Ben touched her.
    end of spoilers
    This was a very important issue that will make a lot of old school Ben fans happy.

P.S. Ben's "nope" face when Death asked if he fancied her the way Thanos does was priceless.

PAD, you magnificent bastard, you did it. You addressed the elephant in the room and took a big step toward redeeming Ben.

This was the greatest issue yet. Not only does it reveal that this is the same Ben Reilly there always was, but it shows the true person that Ben really is.

Astonishing Member theoneandonly's Avatar

I liked the issue overall especially all the interactions of Ben with death but it seems.... too unlikely for death to take a interest in any creature because he has kind of a record for dying and coming back in the whole universe. Is he now going have the ability to see 'death' whenever she visits somebody and start punching her to save the dying person?
    The Self is the only existing reality

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    I liked the issue overall especially all the interactions of Ben with death but it seems.... too unlikely for death to take a interest in any creature because he has kind of a record for dying and coming back in the whole universe. Is he now going have the ability to see 'death' whenever she visits somebody and start punching her to save the dying person?
    I think that was a one-time deal. Ben felt directly responsible for both those deaths and so wanted to trade his life for theirs.

I don't see the same situation happening again. Ben's not going to try and punch Death into bringing back every random person who dies.

As for this issue, I dug it. Personally I really liked the unpredictable quality of the early issues and how totally screwed up Ben was - it made it completely different than any other superhero book out there - but I think moving the character back into a more heroic role is probably the wisest move and I liked the way that PAD accomplished it.

Unlikely as it may seem it`s not unusual in fiction or myth to cosmic beings or Gods taking particular interest in a mortal. According to her, Ben kept visiting her more than almost anyone she`s met and that sparked the interest.

You did PAD it. They passed the hot potato to you, broken and everything and somehow you made the engine start. Not many like you around!
    White Tiger P.O.C
    https://vimeo.com/195242203

"Take your clowns and get out!"
    https://68.media.tumblr.com/ec7a9a0c...e68o1_1280.png

I don`t care
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FPkrddyP0v...s1600/02-4.png

"Second star to the right... and straight on till morning"
    http://www.benreillytribute.x10host....BenGrieves.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    PAD, you magnificent bastard, you did it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    This was the greatest issue yet.
    THIS IS MY INITIAL REACTION!

-Pav, who needs to do a second reading...
    2017 Marvel Monthly Buys: America Ben Reilly: the Scarlet Spider Iron Fist Iron Fists Runaways Silver Surfer Spider-Gwen

Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my middle school students! DM for details

With USAvengers ending and dropping X-Men Blue, this suddenly looks like a good title for me to start picking up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    THIS IS MY INITIAL REACTION!

-Pav, who needs to do a second reading...
    I've also gotta love PAD's explanation for why Ben was so messed up in the head. That in having died and come back so many times in short succession that his soul was damaged almost to the point of breaking. It makes a strange kind of sense in comic logic and it also confirms that this isn't a clone of Ben but the genuine article. It also shows that, given time, he can become the man he once was, something that we've been slowly seeing over the series thus far.

Though now that his clone degeneration has been healed and Legacy starts next issue, I wonder if we'll see him dye his hair blonde again.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

PAD did it again. He made something out of a non Kara Supergirl, and made something out of a many times dead Ben Reilly. Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    PAD did it again. He made something out of a non Kara Supergirl, and made something out of a many times dead Ben Reilly. Love it!
    The man truly has a talent for turning coal into diamonds. Really makes you wonder why he's always put on the satellite titles and not the main books.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    The man truly has a talent for turning coal into diamonds. Really makes you wonder why he's always put on the satellite titles and not the main books.
    Nobody needs diamonds turned into diamonds

-Pav, who also enjoyed today's issues of Runaways and Iron Fists quite a lot...
    2017 Marvel Monthly Buys: America Ben Reilly: the Scarlet Spider Iron Fist Iron Fists Runaways Silver Surfer Spider-Gwen

Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my middle school students! DM for details

I read this comment online about the issue and it cracks me up because I find it true.

This is the One More Day we deserve.

Thank you PAD.
    White Tiger P.O.C
    https://vimeo.com/195242203

"Take your clowns and get out!"
    https://68.media.tumblr.com/ec7a9a0c...e68o1_1280.png

I don`t care
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FPkrddyP0v...s1600/02-4.png

"Second star to the right... and straight on till morning"
    http://www.benreillytribute.x10host....BenGrieves.jpg

Hopefully Ben will go blonde in the next issue and the circle will be complete and we'll truly have old Ben back.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Spectacular Member

Pad is the man!!!