Default All-New Wolverine 24 Synopsis and Review

The issue picks up, as usual, with the Preview. Gabby has been turned into a Brood Queen, and wants Laura to join her. She, Quill, and Gamora fall back and contact Rocket aboard the Milano, announcing they need to blow up the moon.

Retreating back to the compound, the group decides how to evacuate, as not all of the personnel will fit aboard the Guardians' ship. Fortunately, some of the wrecked ships outside are still space-worthy, even if they're lacking things like functional engines. The plan is in place: Everyone will pile aboard the Milano and the ships already rigged for towing, after which Rocket sets off his bomb. Rankine isn't happy with the plan, but reluctantly accepts.

That still leaves one problem: The Brood are now between them and their escape ships. Someone will have to stay behind to cover their withdrawal. Laura volunteers. While manning the gun turrets she's telepathically contacted by Brood!Gabby, and rather than escape with the others makes a last ditch attempt to get her back. Drax observes how brave she is, but that it's also pretty stupid.

Laura confronts Gabby, telling her she made a promise to never leave her behind. Suddenly she collapses and her exoskeleton splits opening, revealing Gabby alive, well, and de-Broodified courtesy of her Healing Factor purging the infection. And not exactly thrilled over having been connected to the wider Brood consciousness. The two escape back to the Milano together, and everyone blasts off. As the ship speeds away from Rhittle, Gabby is reunited with a patched up and recovering Jonathan...who can TALK. Rocket got tired of trying to interpret the wolverine, so implanted him with a Universal Translator.

Rankine continues to object to blowing up the moon, and with it all their research, but Gabby ends the debate by pushing the button herself while Rocket enjoys the show.

However there's still a few loose ends to tie up. As a minor detail, Fang admits that they didn't send Arfesia's daughter to earth for Laura SPECIFICALLY, and she had a whole list of people to contact. Unfortunately, Laura's name was just the only one she managed to speak before she succumbed to the disease. The bigger dangling thread, however, is the question of how the Brood got to Rhittle in the first place, as none of their usual hosts for interstellar travel are present. Laura notes Rankine has suddenly grown extremely nervous. It doesn't take much pressing for the truth to come out: Rankine HIMSELF brought a Queen to the moon for experimentation, at which point she escaped.

Arfesia's mother is furious, and beats the shit out of him for a bit, with neither Quill nor Gamora in a particular hurry to end the beat-down (Drax steps in). Laura and Rocket aren't pleased with him either, citing their shared pasts as the subject of experimentation, and she gives him a chewing out over developing weapons for the highest bidder. That just leaves what to do with the unapologetic bastard. Laura wants to turn him over to SHIELD for the deaths his actions caused on earth, but Arfesia's mother believes that he should answer to the Shi'ar Empire. Laura also quickly points out another problem: Guaranteeing that Rankine is actually PUNISHED for his actions, and not just employed to build weapons by whoever they hand him to. Rocket finds the simplest solution, and tosses Rankine out the nearest airlock.

With everything settled, the Milano turns for home.

All in all the issue was enjoyable, and closes out the arc having wrapped up all its loose ends. The biggest flaw is that the conflict with Gabby was rather anticlimactic, and felt sort of rushed. IIRC, it's not unprecedented that a healing factor can help purge a Brood infection, but given this was a Queen it probably should have been a more difficult process. I'm also not sure Rankine's actions starting everything were set up as well as it could have been.

As a breather before Orphans of X it works quite well. Looking forward to getting into something heavier next arc, though.
    Still hoping for that Helix Reunion...

Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Pull List
    AN Wolverine Deadpool

It was not a bad issue but the situation with Gabby was solved very easy and in the end this whole situation was not an accident.

I died laughing at Rocket throw the scientist into space while everyone was discussing what to do with him .

And Jonathan can talk now what might be interesting.

We never got an explanation for why the virus behaved so weirdly.
    It's all about the verisimilitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    As the ship speeds away from Rhittle, Gabby is reunited with a patched up and recovering Jonathan...who can TALK. Rocket got tired of trying to interpret the wolverine, so implanted him with a Universal Translator.

...this is wonderful!

This Week's Comics: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #76, Fence #1, Wicked + Divine #33, Kill the Minotaur #6, Gundam Wing: The Glory of Losers v. 3

Incredible Member

I liked the issue, it was fun. My big concern is the pacing. This and enemy of State both could have used a extra issue or two. I feels like Taylor wants to get to orphins of x asap. Also having a taking wolverine around looks ljke jt could be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    We never got an explanation for why the virus behaved so weirdly.
    Well, we know that Rankine was developing biological weapons, so at least some of its behavior can be chalked up to that. Considering it was favorably drawn to Laura and others with Healing Factors, to the point of even leaving the bodies of other victims to attack them, perhaps it was an attempt to develop a virus that could affect such people.
    Still hoping for that Helix Reunion...

Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Pull List
    AN Wolverine Deadpool

My only complaint is that, like a few other people here, parts of this issue felt rushed. An extra issue would have helped ... or making the 23rd issue double sized. That would have made a lot of sense for more reasons than one.

Astonishing Member theoneandonly's Avatar

Next
    SNIKT.....
    The Self is the only existing reality

The universal translator felt a bit too much .

Taylor probably made this arc pretty light considering how horribly-dark the 'Orphans of X' arc looks.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя Tycon View Post
    Taylor probably made this arc pretty light considering how horribly-dark the 'Orphans of X' arc looks.
    If we need a talking wolverine to off set the dark brutality orphans of x looks like it will give us, I'll seriously be impressed.

Still betting on Daken dying though.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя Tycon View Post
    Really hoping that's the case. I tend to like my heroes in stories of a darker nature, and while I don't mind breathers in between, ANW has been too light for my tastes. I'd like to look forward to reading this book again.