Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

Not super interested. Depends on the art. I'm only a fan of Booster in theory. Never actually read a story outside of maybe 52 where I actually liked him.
    Have you read either of his ongoings or the original JLI era?
    World's Biggest Cassandra Cain Fan

"Don't we at the very least deserve the right to exist?" - Doctor 13: Architecture and Morality

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Have you read either of his ongoings or the original JLI era?
    Nah. 80s, right? Wasn't even alive back then let alone into comics. Since I've been into comics I've only selectively gone back and read those older runs.
    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

"Your videos give us hope. They give us strength in these times of slow normals, Chun-Li costumes and rampant New York fires.
    We shall overcome. The day will come when we are all warmed up."

-Coffee That

Jurgens deeply, truly loves Booster and it's a little funny that it's taken this long to see him. Bring back Waverider I say.

Clark as a naive farm boy gets serious push back. But does Bruce as a spoiled rich guy fit King's writing? Probably not something to dwell on.

Sounds like a great month, but a little less Batman and maybe less dour is what I hope to see in the end.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    maybe less dour is what I hope to see in the end.
    I always agree when it comes to Superman comics. I'd always urge to fight the Marvel instincts and fight the Batman instincts when planning the Superman comics.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 09-13-2017 at 02:20 PM.
    Thank you America for voting for change.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Clark as a naive farm boy gets serious push back. But does Bruce as a spoiled rich guy fit King's writing?
    There's an air of truth to King's Batman clearly having the mindset of someone who's greatly privileged. There's no getting around that in any Batman take, I feel. His butler may stitch his wounds and set his bones, but he's still his honest to goodness butler, he has supper waiting for him every night, and Bruce can refuse it and not even bat an eyelash. Regardless of how hardened from training and fights Bruce becomes, he still grew up the heir to a fortune and some might characterize his impossible war on crime as only something a person with that much time, money, and entitlement could engage in. King, like Morrison and Snyder before him, doesn't shy away from Bruce's privilege, but that doesn't stop Bruce from being a good deal more complex than a spoiled rich boy.

The same is true for Clark. No two ways about it, he grew up on a farm, and he has a very idealized way of looking at the world and what it could and should be. Those that don't know him well could be more than forgiven for calling him a naive farm boy.

The solicit almost reads as if the two men are arguing with one another, and have resorted to base name calling. I don't know or care about anyone else, I like it.

This whole farm boy as slur thing is a dog whistle to some, but I'm pretty deaf to it for the most part.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 09-13-2017 at 02:29 PM.
    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

"Your videos give us hope. They give us strength in these times of slow normals, Chun-Li costumes and rampant New York fires.

-Coffee That

King seems to be a fan of the 90s period of Batman and his Bruce remind me a lot to Dixon's take (or at least his early run), maybe his Superman would be very similar to the Triangle Era guy, wich is fine by me personally.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

*Slams fists on the table so hard the foundation of my goddamn house cracks*

KING

WRITING

SUPERMAN

And is Priest just on for a fill-in, or is he the real new main writer on Justice League? He wasn't able to reel me in on Deathstroke, but him and Pete Woods on the League would be an instant buy. And I'm definitely down for Super Sons of Tomorrow.
    You can follow me on Twitter or Tumblr, if more of my opinions sounds like something you'd like.

I agree Superlad, which is why I'm not the biggest Batman fan. But that's not really the selling point, they go with Bruce as a genius of hard work with unbreakable will, etc. They basically play it like he's self made. Writers put a spotlight on his vulnerability although he has very few of those anywhere near striking distance.

I'm hoping King is indeed a 90s fan. DKoM and World's Finest (1990) are musts imo.

I'm hoping King is indeed a 90s fan. DKoM and World's Finest (1990) are musts imo.
    King said in an interview that his Robin growing up was Tim Drake, if i remenber correctly, you can't get more 90s than that

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

There's an air of truth to King's Batman clearly having the mindset of someone who's greatly privileged. There's no getting around that in any Batman take, I feel. His butler may stitch his wounds and set his bones, but he's still his honest to goodness butler, he has supper waiting for him every night, and Bruce can refuse it and not even bat an eyelash. Regardless of how hardened from training and fights Bruce becomes, he still grew up the heir to a fortune and some might characterize his impossible war on crime as only something a person with that much time, money, and entitlement could engage in. King, like Morrison and Snyder before him, doesn't shy away from Bruce's privilege, but that doesn't stop Bruce from being a good deal more complex than a spoiled rich boy.

The same is true for Clark. No two ways about it, he grew up on a farm, and he has a very idealized way of looking at the world and what it could and should be. Those that don't know him well could be more than forgiven for calling him a naive farm boy.

The solicit almost reads as if the two men are arguing with one another, and have resorted to base name calling. I don't know or care about anyone else, I like it.

This whole farm boy as slur thing is a dog whistle to some, but I'm pretty deaf to it for the most part.
    Totally on point with your assessment of Batman, there. King's BATMAN reads like that, which I love. Man, he writes Batman so well. He writes comic books so well

As for Superman, there's nothing I hate more than the idea of Superman having a naive mentality because he grew up on a farm. That Norman Rockwell Americana doesn't exist. It's beautiful to look at but it doesn't hold water and it shouldn't be pinned to Superman, the Champion of the Oppressed. After all the things Clark Kent has done and gone through in his life, he's prolly the least naive man alive.

Ah well, I'll wait and see- I'm sure King will spin some gold with this regardless of what that little blurb in the solicits says.
    Follow your inner moonlight, do not hide the madness. -Ginsberg

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    As for Superman, there's nothing I hate more than the idea of Superman having a naive mentality because he grew up on a farm. That Norman Rockwell Americana doesn't exist. It's beautiful to look at but it doesn't hold water and it shouldn't be pinned to Superman, the Champion of the Oppressed. After all the things Clark Kent has done and gone through in his life, he's prolly the least naive man alive
    But that's the point. Solicit frames the two comments as myopic generalizations of the uninitiated. Norman Rockwell's Heartland isn't an actual thing these days, but the outsider's perspective that perpetuates it is alive and well, and that's the point. Both comments are short sighted jabs that grossly misrepresent and distorts real aspects of both characters (Bruce is and has always been rich, and continues to have a butler. Clark did grow up on a farm and, regardless of what he's gone through, he does have an idealized way of looking at what the world is and can be) rather than actual assessments of who they are.

For me at least, I see no issue with the solicit when put into context what the story seems to be about. A falling out between the two.
    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

-Coffee That

Both comments are short sighted jabs that grossly misrepresent and distorts real aspects of both characters rather than actual assessments of who they are.
    Yeah, I have to say I really agree that such descriptions don't help and tend to hurt.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

King's mentioned Superman's his white whale as a character, so I don't expect he's going to go with a take on him as actually particularly naive.
    You can follow me on Twitter or Tumblr, if more of my opinions sounds like something you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Yeah, I have to say I really agree that such descriptions don't help and tend to hurt.
    And I think that's the point of the descriptions in this context. They're not supposed to be flattering or accurate. Without even reading the story, the context of the two solicits paint enough of a picture where this makes good sense to be included, so I can't really wrap my mind around the outrage.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    King's mentioned Superman's his white whale as a character, so I don't expect he's going to go with a take on him as actually particularly naive.
    Exactly. Really looking forward to looking back on this two issues after I've read King's (future) lengthy Eisner award winning run on Superman and think "damn, that's where it all started."
    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

-Coffee That

And I think that's the point of the descriptions in this context. They're not supposed to be flattering or accurate. Without even reading the story, the context of the two solicits paint enough of a picture where this makes good sense to be included, so I can't really wrap my mind around the outrage.
    I see what you're saying, you could very well be right (that it's basically very intended Loeb-esque S/B contrast/antagonism language). I'm more hmmmm than outraged, partially because I'm so used to such language.

Still there might be a point to be made that DC could be helping to perpetuate such distorting gross misrepresentations about both characters. Batman may be fine, but Superman maybe doesn't need misperceptions aided by solicits/marketing (imagine if they used such language a lot to promote a Superman movie or show or something ....Didio or Johns or some director or some Superman actor: "Superman is definitely the naive farm boy").
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 09-13-2017 at 04:13 PM.